• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

You are little Suzy from now on.

cool-gifs-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1939.gif

help1

Banned
So, any idea if ranking is gonna be back? It was hinted by Frankie that something was coming, but 1.5 months away from release we know nothing about it.

BigShow36

So, any idea if ranking is gonna be back? It was hinted by Frankie that something was coming, but 1.5 months away from release we know nothing about it.

No, but I can link you to a complete breakdown of the design, attack patterns, abilities, and weapons of the new Promethean enemy.

Multiplayer Ranking? Come on dude, some things are better left for after release to discover on your own.

feel

Enough with the videos of stuff we've already seen, where are the new features?? Previous mainline Halo game introduced Theater, Forge, File sharing, etc.. Is Spartan Ops (firefight evolved to some) really the only new thing here? Minor COD garbage like perks and care packages or whatever don't really make the cut as new exciting features.

kylej

Banned
Enough with the videos of stuff we've already seen, where are the new features?? Is Spartan Ops really the only new thing? Minor COD garbage like perks and care packages or whatever don't really make the cut as new exciting features.

Forge has better lighting.

No, but I can link you to a complete breakdown of the design, attack patterns, abilities, and weapons of the new Promethean enemy.

Multiplayer Ranking? Come on dude, some things are better left for after release to discover on your own.

Why wait until the game comes out to reveal a feature that will keep the truely dedicated fans interested and potentially keep others from dropping the game for CoD when it comes out a week later?

feel

Forge has better lighting.
There weren't enough laughing gifs in the world for when they went to show Halo 4's Forge, with the community at that moment collectively holding their breath, and it looked exactly like the forge world crap in Reach.

Guys! Guys!

The UNSC Weapons trailer was set entirely on UNSC maps even though there was a Forerunner map (Haven) revealed at the time.

Maybe the Covenant Weapons trailer will be set entirely on Covenant maps?

Enough with the videos of stuff we've already seen, where are the new features?? Previous mainline Halo game introduced Theater, Forge, File sharing, etc.. Is Spartan Ops (firefight evolved to some) really the only new thing here? Minor COD garbage like perks and care packages or whatever don't really make the cut as new exciting features.

there is nothing innovative about halo 4. they said something about being evolutionary, not revolutionary and speaking to the things we want, but i didn't want armor abilities and perks sooooo

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
We know a ton of stuff about the new enemey, which could/should have been a big surprise. We know approximately when to expect them in the campaign. We know the Covenant will be working with them sometimes.

To me, those are pretty big campaign revelations that would have been more impactful if they were saved for release. I'm not claiming we know everything or know all the secrets of the campaign, but I just think there are better ways of hyping the campaign. At this point, I feel like I'll be playing campaign to connect the pieces together rather than with a sense of immersion or exploration.

We should also know way more about the MP at this point, especially considering all the changes they're making.

It's a fine line. 343 has to show that Halo 4 isn't the same old stuff we've been playing for over 10 years now. They have to show the new stuff. I also think though that when we get to sit down with the campaign, there will be plenty of surprises.

As far as multiplayer is concerned, I'm not sure what I want. I'm still gonna buy it and play it everyday so any info is just stuff to keep me occupied until the game releases. They don't need to show anything to us hardcore fans and we're still gonna buy the game. They could literally show us nothing.

It is what it is. I just want the game to be great and sell great.

willow ve

You know what's awesome? Halo 3 Tiltshift:

RPyAZ.jpg

I've got hopes for Theatre 4.0

Those. Are. Amazing.

uh i think people stopped playing reach because of the game mechanics, not because the there was no visual skill indicator. but whatever floats your boat

A lot of people actually still play the game considering how bad and "not like Halo" it is (I still play a bit almost daily). However I would have a lot more invested interest in the competition side of the game (as opposed to the lulz and grinding/boosting side of the game) if there had been a proper visible ranking system. And I think that sentiment is shared by a lot of players who loved Halo 2 and 3.

There weren't enough laughing gifs in the world for when they went to show Halo 4's Forge, with the community at that moment collectively holding their breath, and it looked exactly like the forge world crap in Reach.

You sir underestimate the power and affect of lighting and shadows. And workflow improvements are more than welcome as well.

I'm waiting for them to tell us that magnets + locking + duplicating equates to group manipulation. Imagine if you grabbed a piece that was magnetized to a string of pieces. When you move said piece everything magnetized to it (locked objects break the "chain") moves with it. This includes rotations as well. And if they went even further they could also duplicate the temporary "group" that you are holding as well. With this could come a feature to "lock all on map", "lock all of these", and lock all in palette", that work similar to the delete all features.

Now let's say you built a part of your map and you have this REALLY cool bridge that you built where every piece is magnetized to at least another piece on the bridge, with all of the pieces linked together in some way with magnets. You would lock all on map, then unlock all pieces relating to this bridge. You could then grab a piece at the end of the bridge, which effectively grabs the whole bridge. Now you can hit duplicate and it will copy everything that is in that group, rotation and relative position and all. Budget and object limits would just prevent your map from being playable, rather than being hard limits. This would allow people to build drastically ridiculous maps in forge, but have to meet the limitations before it can be played in a custom game. This could be great for designing.

Now that you have this duplicated bridge you can rotate the piece that you have grabbed and it will rotate everything with it, keeping relativity. This would make duplicating architecture extremely easy. As for how the magnets would work, every magnet is disabled in the group except for the magnets on the piece you have a hold of. This means the piece that you grab on the bridge will be used as the reference for snapping to other objects.

This system would allow a lot of possibilities and even if every piece in your map is not magnetized together, some parts of your map may be so you can just move them in chunks. Imagine if you WHOLE map was magnetized. You could easily just grab one piece and rotate the whole map (by unlocking all) and this would make adjusting the lighting on your map very easy. I think this would be extremely important to have now that we have an improved light and shadow system.

I am hoping to all hell that these features are part of the "three features" that Frankie didn't expect to make it at launch. *crosses fingers*

But even without that. Lighting is going to change how forgers forge DRASTICALLY in the higher levels of design.

willow ve

Long ass forgey forge comment that was well thought out and well said.

If that was true, wouldn't they have shown that off in the Forge demo? It seems like the "new" forge is the same as the old forge just with magnets + dynamic lighting. Those are great additions, but it doesn't seem nearly as revolutionary as what you're describing.

A lot of people actually still play the game considering how bad and "not like Halo" it is (I still play a bit almost daily). However I would have a lot more invested interest in the competition side of the game (as opposed to the lulz and grinding/boosting side of the game) if there had been a proper visible ranking system. And I think that sentiment is shared by a lot of players who loved Halo 2 and 3.

Well it's undoubtedly one of the top played XBL games, it's just not on the top like it used to be. I still play it, but if I had to guess more people left because of things like bloom and armor lock, not the lack of 1-50

As long as the gameplay is good I don't care if there are ranks. It's funny how people are like "unlockables and progression systems are stupid reasons to keep you playing" but then the same people are like "1-50 are no purchase from me." It's the same thing, one just requires skill and one doesn't. Neither is the reason you should be playing the game, you should be playing the game because it's FUN.

Blissful

Neo Member
uh i think people stopped playing reach because of the game mechanics, not because the there was no visual skill indicator. but whatever floats your boat

Not going to lie, I stopped playing Reach because I kept getting matched up with brain dead team mates.

But you are right, the mechanics is the primary reason for why Halo Reach is crap. The TU fixed it up a bit, but was introduced when dedicated players moved on from the game.

I still highly believe that if the game had a Ranked + Social playlist, the population would be much greater than it is today.

Wasn't the ranking system already introduced? gou go from SR1 to SR50 and then you have the specializations.

It sounds good to me.

Win or Lose, you still rank up. No motivation to win really except to get 1k more credits or something along that line. If it was based on W/L and matched you up with players within your level, I would be down with that.

GhaleonEB

Not if you're PERFECT with the DMR apparently. As in land all 5 shots. I'm honestly more worried about it being a 5 shot kill, thus it not having 3 kills per mag.

I still think the BR would win. It's also a five shot kill, but has a slightly faster firing cadence, from my understanding.

I'm sure this will be settled almost instantly once the game comes out, and someone does a controlled test.

Wasn't the ranking system already introduced? gou go from SR1 to SR50 and then you have the specializations.

It sounds good to me.

You know this is an EXP based system that can potentially exist completely seperately from just about any visual rankig system but you're just being obtuse. Good stuff. The real potetial comes from the fact that we don't know what ranking system they have chose to implement.

Do I wanna bet my balls that there'll be some form of ranking system? No but I will say it's reasonable to expect one and I'll most definitely criticise 343 should they choose not to have one.

lilty

As long as the gameplay is good I don't care if there are ranks. It's funny how people are like "unlockables and progression systems are stupid reasons to keep you playing" but then the same people are like "1-50 are no purchase from me." It's the same thing, one just requires skill and one doesn't. Neither is the reason you should be playing the game, you should be playing the game because it's FUN.

Yes but at the same time a ranking system is part of the fun for people. A lot of people enjoy watching themselves climb that ladder of skill.

Personally I just want true skill to be used whether or not I see it. I love Reach's MLG playlist because the gametypes are kind of fun, but it's horrible because of the way the game matches players together. I'd much rather be a level 40 in MLG playing against other 40's all the time than hoping I get the luck of the draw every single game.

With that said, hopping on Reach if anyone wants to play.

That's the player progression system, we've yet to see a skill-based ranking system.
I don't think we are getting something like that, not that I actually care but I can see why some of you guys are really pissed about it.

Aslong as they get truskill to do it's work it shouldn't be such a problem.

willow ve

It's the same thing, one just requires skill and one doesn't. Neither is the reason you should be playing the game, you should be playing the game because it's FUN.

So they're the same thing... but different?

And it's really hard to quantify what "fun" is for everyone. Some people have fun stealing the sniper. Some people have fun hiding the full match for a 0-0 draw. Some people have fun in Infection or Invasion or Grifball only... Are any of these things technically wrong? No. Do I have the right to tell other people that those aren't fun? No.

Some people have their fun by getting a tangible, visible, representation of their skill level. Without this symbol the game won't be as fun for them.

Blissful

Neo Member
I don't think we are getting something like that, not that I actually care but I can see why some of you guys are really pissed about it.

Aslong as they get truskill to do it's work it shouldn't be such a problem.

Only reason I personally keep bitching about having a skill-based ranking system is to ensure that the trueskill aspect of the game is in force and actually reflects upon your skill. I don't want to buy the game, have to wait a few months for a major TU for the game to actually be fun (multiplayer wise). I have been waiting since 343 took over (from bungie) for them to make changes in regards to a skilled based ranking system, and so far I am very disappointed in them. It's like they can't find a solution in dealing with cheaters and people who sell accounts... Sorta shows how easily they give up in situations that could be solved if they actually formed a dedicated team behind it.

yes. you probably never saw them because 90 percent of people that had them cheated in order to get them
I barely got to play H2 online anyways, it was mostly customs with friends. A shame, really. I think it'd be interesting to see these modders in game (until it gets annoying after one game)

Top Bottom