• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Duji

Yeah, he has.
Well from my experience the BR does not "easily" outplay the DMR at close range. Quite the opposite actually. If both players are of equal aiming skill the DMR user will win pretty much every time and at every range.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can't wait to get to donging with the DMR. Hopefully it's one of the early unlocks.

Something I've been thinking about: In past Halo games, did the precision weapons have faster kill times than the automatics? I want to say they did, but I'm not sure. If they do, I wonder how 4 has balanced them, since they are now all loadout weapons. It's probably just me (the people who played it didn't really mention this), but the automatics look next to useless when compared with the semi-auto rifles. Especially the Suppressor.

Speaking of weapon unlocks, could someone from 343 clarify how long it takes to get all the weapons? I'm hoping the unlocks serve as more of a tutorial for each weapon and you can get them all in one day.

GhaleonEB

Thanks for posting! It's tough to talk about only starting weapons when talking about casual / competitive, but I gave it a shot - hope you enjoy!
Pretty good piece. I think the observation that the primary weapons in Halo 4 include an abundance of rifles which will likely be common across MLG and regular matchmaking playlists, and how that can help bridge the gaps between the the different audiences is a good one. Missing from the picture is the question of what MLG will remove from the game; well not missing, so much as unknown, as you pointed out in the video. I think if to many element are stripped out of MLG - too many armor mods, side arm and automatic weapons, armor abilities - then the gap between the modes will be as wide as in say, Reach, but just in different ways.

That could be an issue, because I'm expecting the interplay between the various armor mods, abilities and the abundance of weaponry in the default playlists to have a wide appeal. Infinity Slayer, which has the entire mix plus the personal ordnance system, will be hugely popular. People are going to play that, love it, and then perhaps look at MLG. And see all the armor mods they can't use. They'll notice some AA's missing, how many of their favorite weapons are gone (the Needler, nooooo). And they'll go back to the richer mix of elements in the default playlsits, because the greater variety of elements is more fun for many to play with. Getting out DMR'd or BR's over and over in MLG isn't fun for the masses. Many more casual players won't excel in that setting, but hand them a Needler, or an AR, or a jet pack, or whatever other set of tools Halo 4 provides, and they will have more fun.

I want MLG to thrive, but I think that if the community goes down the same route of shaving the sandbox down to a narrow core, it won't have that broader appeal you talked about.

[/thoughts from a non-competitive gamer]

Slaker117

Can't wait to get to donging with the DMR. Hopefully it's one of the early unlocks.

Something I've been thinking about: In past Halo games, did the precision weapons have faster kill times than the automatics? I want to say they did, but I'm not sure. If they do, I wonder how 4 has balanced them, since they are now all loadout weapons. It's probably just me (the people who played it didn't really mention this), but the automatics look next to useless when compared with the semi-auto rifles. Especially the Suppressor.

I can't speak to the AR or suppressor, but the storm rifle tears people up at close range. Not worth sacrificing a precision weapon primary for IMO, but a good secondary to use with the firepower mod for sure.

Computron

Sigh. Here, liking Halo influences your preferences, and it's all luck if you shoot someone and they turn around and they turn around and kill you.

Seriously the amount of CoD SLRPing here is insane.

I don't know what this means.

I think that's like when they do the 720 no-scope.

I here if you say "Arena" 3 times in the mirror, HiredN00bs shows up to explain it's awesomeness

Man, I would totally make the 'bat signal' .GIF out of his avatar... although, idk, Is it supposed to be the Honda emblem?

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
About 2 pages behind, but...

I'm not saying Reach's mechanics are flawless or the gameplay or gametypes are perfect (they aren't)- nor am I saying I want to see massive overhauls striping competitive gameplay (I don't)... but I think it's misguided to say this is the main reason the bulk of your potential customers aren't playing Reach.

Maybe not the most appropriate comparison, but in the H2/H3 era, I feel like everyone wanted to be an MLG pro. Then came along a bunch of FPS's with a crap-ton of bells and whistles that made your average consumer feel like an MLG juggernaut. I feel Reach's population problem has more to do with the shiny things being too difficult, too few, and take too long to unlock.

Again, not saying the game's perfect, nor that mechanics have to be stripped for the sake of bling in H4 or future games.

Similarly, I will never understand what is so bad about Arena. Again, not perfect, but still feel the biggest problem was it's too exclusive for your average players. Division bracketing was screwed up big time. But too often do I see "Starcraft ranking awesome- Reach ranking shit." Doesn't make sense, particularly when you consider the other Slayer playtypes available.

8 out of 14 of my online friends are playing Borderlands 2. I need to get that game sometime, the first was a blast if not a bit grindy and empty at times.

Anyways, Im gonna play some Halo 3 SP for a bit if anyone wants to join up send me a message.

Thanks for posting! It's tough to talk about only starting weapons when talking about casual / competitive, but I gave it a shot - hope you enjoy!

Welcome to Halogaf! Keep up the videos, you go over a lot of good stuff in em and on top of that they are fun to watch.

Computron

I think I would still be playing Reach in BTB if it wasn't hemorrhage half the time and had some better forge maps.
(There are definitely good ones, but I don't like quite a few of the ones in there now, maybe I'm just tired of them)
And if they limited the DMR range in some way to compensate for the bloom reduction.
(Not that big of a problem on smaller maps, but I stick with BTB mostly).
I would be curious to test out the lesser aim assist limiter some people have suggested.

Anyways, Im gonna play some Halo 3 SP for a bit if anyone wants to join up send me a message.

I would be done for that tomorrow.

I like all the Muse albums. Come at me brose.

Me too.

ibabam3oKDXosC.gif

I would be done for that tomorrow.

Cool, shoot me a message tomorrow when you're on and up for it, I should be around.

I like how you can see the loose skin on 'Zilla's neck move when he does that. The details in the animation are incredible.

I know, the animation details are fantastic. Im not super fond of the new design, but the animation helps alleviate a lot of the dislike for me, same with the Knights.

Computron

Cool, shoot me a message tomorrow when you're on and up for it, I should be around.

I know, the animation details are fantastic. Im not super fond of the new design, but the animation helps alleviate a lot of the dislike for me, same with the Knights.

Is anyone else gonna join? I'll be on tomorrow afternoon CST.

I do like the godzilla look though.

Not if you're PERFECT with the DMR apparently. As in land all 5 shots. I'm honestly more worried about it being a 5 shot kill, thus it not having 3 kills per mag.
Well no weapons have 3 shots per clip in H4 sadly. Clearly a conscious design decision though.

As a general blanket statement about this thread, people need to stop declaring that one weapon is useless without having played the game. The DMR, BR, and Light Rifle are all strong weapons, there isn't one that is clearly better than the other. Yes, the BR is going to be better in close range than the DMR, and DMR will be better in long range, but speaking from my experience with the game, it's not a rock, paper, scissors balance at all.

Hell, Domino will tell you that the BR is clearly superior to the other rifles, even at long range (he cray), but I'll tell you that after using the BR for all of 5 seconds in H4, I ran back to the DMR as fast as humanly possibly.

The primary rifles are one of the things I can confidently say are not an issue in the slightest, they are all solid rifles and their use will largely come down to personal preference.
I leave the Carbine out of this, cause it was...ugh in my limited experience with it. Light Rifle, BR, and DMR will probably distribute pretty evenly as the primary weapons of choice of most players (LR might be lower just because it's not a human weapon).
As long as the gameplay is good I don't care if there are ranks. It's funny how people are like "unlockables and progression systems are stupid reasons to keep you playing" but then the same people are like "1-50 are no purchase from me." It's the same thing, one just requires skill and one doesn't. Neither is the reason you should be playing the game, you should be playing the game because it's FUN.
DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!
I'm sorry, have we met?
Doubtful.

Welcome Bravo!
I like all the Muse albums. Come at me brose.

The Resistance is my favorite Muse album. All the brose come at me brose.

Striker

I think I would still be playing Reach in BTB if it wasn't hemorrhage half the time and had some better forge maps.
When I usually go in lately, it shows up a bit but it isn't that severe. Plus if you even get it to appear it's more often going to be Slayer. 343 going from almost-all objective based BTB in the game where it was left off to mostly Slayer/Heavies is discouraging. Slayer is hardly, if ever, fun under 8v8 rules. It went off a cliff when they decided it was better with Slayer and Heavies having a high weighting and back to seeing Spire or Boneyard half the time.

Duji

Absolution is my favorite album of all the times.
I probably would have said the same at some point 3 years ago before I started listen to a crap load more music (Radiohead, Floyd, the Who, Tool, Arcade Fire, Soundgarden, Massive Attack, etc.)

Holiday

Banned
Pretty good piece. I think the observation that the primary weapons in Halo 4 include an abundance of rifles which will likely be common across MLG and regular matchmaking playlists, and how that can help bridge the gaps between the the different audiences is a good one. Missing from the picture is the question of what MLG will remove from the game; well not missing, so much as unknown, as you pointed out in the video. I think if to many element are stripped out of MLG - too many armor mods, side arm and automatic weapons, armor abilities - then the gap between the modes will be as wide as in say, Reach, but just in different ways.

That could be an issue, because I'm expecting the interplay between the various armor mods, abilities and the abundance of weaponry in the default playlists to have a wide appeal. Infinity Slayer, which has the entire mix plus the personal ordnance system, will be hugely popular. People are going to play that, love it, and then perhaps look at MLG. And see all the armor mods they can't use. They'll notice some AA's missing, how many of their favorite weapons are gone (the Needler, nooooo). And they'll go back to the richer mix of elements in the default playlsits, because the greater variety of elements is more fun for many to play with. Getting out DMR'd or BR's over and over in MLG isn't fun for the masses. Many more casual players won't excel in that setting, but hand them a Needler, or an AR, or a jet pack, or whatever other set of tools Halo 4 provides, and they will have more fun.

I want MLG to thrive, but I think that if the community goes down the same route of shaving the sandbox down to a narrow core, it won't have that broader appeal you talked about.

[/thoughts from a non-competitive gamer]

Leaving aside questions as to what extent MLG should strive for the most pristine competitiveness possible in their settings, I think (along with some people from MLG's forums) that the best shot for them to gain popularity lies in unique combinations of AAs and armor mods/specializations. I think if they can craft preset loadouts that have a non-disruptive effect (read as: do not slow down gameplay), then they can offer an experience that is a tangent of default H4 rather than a reaction against it. I'd also bet that this has a good chance of happening, as they showed in Reach that they aren't averse to loadouts and armor abilities (pre-no bloom). Again, this is only from the perspective of popularity and success, not of what is competitive in the abstract. MLG has long since proven that maximum competitiveness takes a backseat to popularity (i.e. profit) in their eyes. Oddly, I think that MLG might do well with attendance, viewership, and plalylist numbers in H4.

GhaleonEB

Leaving aside questions as to what extent MLG should strive for the most pristine competitiveness possible in their settings, I think (along with some people from MLG's forums) that the best shot for them to gain popularity lies in unique combinations of AAs and armor mods/specializations. I think if they can craft preset loadouts that have a non-disruptive effect (read as: do not slow down gameplay), then they can offer an experience that is a tangent of default H4 rather than a reaction against it. I'd also bet that this has a good chance of happening, as they showed in Reach that they aren't averse to loadouts and armor abilities (pre-no bloom). Again, this is only from the perspective of popularity and success, not of what is competitive in the abstract. MLG has long since proven that maximum competitiveness takes a backseat to popularity (i.e. profit) in their eyes. Oddly, I think that MLG might do well with attendance, viewership, and plalylist numbers in H4.

Very good way to put it, and I agree entirely.

zap

To the people who have played Halo 4 so far: Which of the AAs do you think are most suited to competitive play? Are there any that you think won't work?

Is there a video of Jetpack around? I must have missed it if it was playable at PAX.

I think if they can craft preset loadouts that have a non-disruptive effect (read as: do not slow down gameplay), then they can offer an experience that is a tangent of default H4 rather than a reaction against it.

While watching Bravo's video, the first thing I thought of was how MLG would use things like Dexterity. This would be the first Halo game in which they would have control over how fast players can reload and swap weapons. Which gets at your tangent comment.

If you have "MLG Loadouts" that are identical to a loadout that is possible in regular MM that is a major part of the "new Halo" MP experience that is immediately identifiable to everyday players.

Omni

So... Are we getting more campaign stuff tomorrow or something? I haven't been paying attention.

If we are, I think it's time for me to go completely dark regarding all things Halo 4 related.

CyReN

I really wish people would stop using "MLG gametypes". I really hope that changes come Halo 4, it's great that MLG is doing a event with Halo 4 but let's not be quick to forget that the community themselves have no control or true feedback regarding gametypes when it comes to MLG gametypes. If MLG wants their own gametypes or playlist come Halo 4 great, but they better keep their word on supporting them and not abandon them when they are done with the game and leave the community in the dark to have no control with the playlist.

Either way it's way too early to discuss what works and what doesn't.

Holiday

Banned
I really wish people would stop using "MLG gametypes". I really hope that changes come Halo 4, it's great that MLG is doing a event with Halo 4 but let's not be quick to forget that the community themselves have no control or true feedback regarding gametypes when it comes to MLG gametypes. If MLG wants their own gametypes or playlist come Halo 4 great, but they better keep their word on supporting them and not abandon them when they are done with the game and leave the community in the dark to have no control with the playlist.

Didn't aPK get the go ahead from MLG to work on v8 settings? I'm assuming that fell through.

CyReN

Didn't aPK get the go ahead from MLG to work on v8 settings? I'm assuming that fell through.

THC had the right to work on gametypes between events since the game setting weren't getting tested anymore. They wouldn't have been implemented into the playlist, more of a "safe haven" to avoid putting out gametypes again like Columbus had.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Word. I prefer the word competitive.

All I want from the competitive settings is radar to be gone. Don't know how the game will work without it though. That kinda scares me a little.

I say competitive scenes just leave it all in and hope for the best (at first at least). If people want to spawn with AR's in MLG against a team of DMR's, let them. As for the Tactical Packages and Support Upgrades, those things are all just custom game settings essentially that you can enhance your Spartan with in Matchmaking, so maybe there will be a setting to make it so that all mods can be used at the same time.

Having that setting would simply equate to a mildly faster and more visceral Halo, while allowing all competitive scenes to focus on less potentially-polarizing areas such as maps and weapon placements.

I just want a "Team Hardcore" playlist that is more competitive in nature, and can be used by various tournaments.
That would be perfect.

I am 100% fine with this, can't just show MP all the time.

They have barely showed anything from multiplayer directly, but have shown a LOT of the campaign - I'm going to avoid watching anymore campaign stuff to try and keep it a mystery, feels like I already know too much.

I can only think of one video from Pax which wasn't off screen footage, and that video was the giant bomb video which was a deliberate joke.

Actually thinking about it, except for the 8 perspectives on like 2 MLG games, we haven't seen decent quality footage of multiplayer even on the other maps have we? It's like the barn leak was an omen to the wider marketing campaign lol.

IHaveIce

Banned
Welcome Bravo.

I'm also for an Team Hardcore playlist instead of a MLG list. Or THC should handle the gametypes hmm...

I want Borderlands 2, stupid European release date

Top Bottom