• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Okay so I looked it up and they replaced them with the guy who plays Yamato from Naruto:

And the woman who played Kneesocks from Panty & Stocking:

I'm okay with this.

Imagine if we got Steve Blum as Chief and Laura Bailey as Cortana. Both great voice actors but it wouldn't change the fact that there is no reason to change the voices from the ones we've had for 10 years.

I don't think Halo sells very well in Japan, so maybe these voice actors are cheaper or something.

Gui_PT

Found the wolfpack poster

IkK2y.jpg

kylej

Banned
How do you determine which community?
Why do they deserve it or than other similar communities?
What about other gametype communities?

They should never, ever give an entire playlist over to public communities' control. MLG is an exception, a special exception and it isn't governed by a community. Grifball is another exceptional circumstantial example.

Far too much potential for drama - what about the SWAT community? BTB community? Infection community? Objective (lol) community?

And this is ignoring the obvious playlist bloat issues.

The suggestion of a unified Hardcore playlist seems to be the sweetspot but I doubt they'll take away MLG's silver spoon.

How would giving communities that understand the nuances of both competitive and casual play of their respective playlists be any worse than letting 343 control everything? I'd take e-drama over removing Squad Slayer while keeping TU BETA SLAYER intact.

Why should they introduce a new visual skill ranking system when I read a bunch of posters on neogaf.com say that Reach didn't have one at all? These individuals are unlikely to be swayed by reality and will probably be upset at the lack of such a system in Halo 4 despite its existence.

Why should they introduce a new visual skill ranking system when I read a bunch of posters on neogaf.com say that Reach didn't have one at all? These individuals are unlikely to be swayed by reality and will probably be upset at the lack of such a system in Halo 4 despite its existence.

Arena was shit.

Arena was shit.
You're missing the point.

And as an aside, the only reason "Arena was shit" was because it didn't coddle whiny little bitches that want to immediately see a number go up or down. Arena taught me 2 important things about the community:

1) in general, players don't invest in systems that don't give instant feedback.
2) better players aren't as interested in knowing their actual skill placement as they are in having a shiny thing to lord over the masses

I like skill ranking systems, and I hope there is one in Halo 4 because I would enjoy it, but at this point, I think I would enjoy more to see a bunch of pricks disappointed (by no means am I saying everyone that is a proponent of a skill ranking system is a prick, just that there are many in our ranks).

Striker

Arena was shit.
The way it was handled, absolutely. Limiting AA's, grenade starts to one, and DMR starts is precisely what people have wanted. The issues I've had with it is map selection, namely garbage like Enclosed. Radar getting turned off would probably another thing I would have done, but oh well. I mean, considering in Ranked Team Slayer in H3 we had AR starts on every large map, no changes in maps whatsoever, and Team Snipers/Shotty Snipers jammed in, it's an improvement. Bungie deserves the criticism for handling it poorly in the menus.

Arena was shit.

I've thought to myself on a number of occasions about why retail Arena failed. My only conclusion has been the monthly ranking, whilst a (relatively) good idea on paper, just doesn't work. Players don't feel that that earning Gold or Onyx during the month is worthwhile, as it resets at the end of the month.

My solution to this, was to implement a system which amalgamates the Halo (2)/3 1-50, and the Reach Arena ranking system.

It's pretty straight forward. You have two concurrent 'ranks':
  • Experience rank
  • Skill rank
Your experience rank is a continuous value, such as EXP or cR, which is then discretized into 'ranks', such Sergeant, Captain, General. Works much like the Halo 4 XP system has been described thus far.
Your skill rank is derived from a discrete value, from 1-50, enumerated into classes, namely Iron [3->9], Bronze[10->19], Silver[20->29], Gold[30-39], Onyx[40-49], and Onyx MAX[50].
(0->2 is the equivalent of Halo 3's training process).
You can see your 1-50 value, but others can only see your class.
Your skill points can fluctuate, you can down-rank or be demoted in class.

Overall this would simply be displayed or written as Class-Rank, for example I could be a "Silver General", or a "Bronze Captain".

This way it is easy to tell how much experience a player has had, as well as a rough indication of their skill.

There is none.

h4longervbu7e.gif

Man, this track sounds good.

Only thing I'd change is UPLOAD THE FULL TRACK ANYONE WHO GOT THE WHOLE OST

Nemesis is one of my favorite tracks so far. The ending with the brass, orchestral chime and chorus alone remind me of Antediluvian from Halo 2 and is already one of my favorite snippets from any halo OST. So good.

You're missing the point.

And as an aside, the only reason "Arena was shit" was because it didn't coddle whiny little bitches that want to immediately see a number go up or down. Arena taught me 2 important things about the community:

1) in general, players don't invest in systems that don't give instant feedback.
2) better players aren't as interested in knowing their actual skill placement as they are in having a shiny thing to lord over the masses

I like skill ranking systems, and I hope there is one in Halo 4 because I would enjoy it, but at this point, I think I would enjoy more to see a bunch of pricks disappointed (by no means am I saying everyone that is a proponent of a skill ranking system is a prick, just that there are many in our ranks).

Seriously? Making Arena basically revolve around your K/D and having an overly convoluted rating system was absolutely terrible. Sure, eventually it came down to win / loss, but the map selection was still a joke (you can only play Uncaged and co. so many times), the rating system - which now doesn't mean anything - was still there, ready to confuse people and provide pointless info.

Implying that Arena in its first iterations was about skill is laughable. It doesn't matter that the feedback wasn't instant, it's that it was mostly meaningless.

That you would rather see some "pricks" disappointed than have a useful and fun feature in a game speaks volumes. Not about ranking systems, but about how much I should value anything you say from this point on.

WHAT DID I JUST SAY!?

We also would have accepted "ranking system", "trueskill", or "E-peen"

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Arena failed because the maps and gametypes fuckin sucked. It took a while to find out good competitive gametypes in Reach. Arena got dicked because of that.

willow ve

Arena failed because the maps and gametypes fuckin sucked. It took a while to find out good competitive gametypes in Reach. Arena got dicked because of that.

Not to mention the mandatory rank reset every month, the confusing (for most of the general population that doesn't read the splash screens) way in which you were rated, the fact that Arena ranked people based on kill+assist/death instead of winning.

And then they changed the rules for ranking to pure win/loss, but still left the visual daily ranking based on the old formula. Yeah, that won't confuse the average player.

At the end the entire ranking + resetting formula didn't play out well. You could be a god tier player and at the beginning of every month you got to absolutely trash on lower ranked players because everyone was reset to "noob status." This was made even worse when it switched to pure win/loss. Go into arena with a full party, get matched against all random scrubs, and all you need to do is win 20 games out of 25, then never play a single other game during that season and you would get top 10% onyx.

All of the things that were designed to encourage continuous play actually contributed to people gaming the system and then never playing it again. Especially when players realized that their Arena rank would never been shown to anyone else (yes, many players need that visual representation).

----

A rank system for 4 should show your current level (at all times) and it should fluctuate up and down after each game (and decay after long periods of inactivity in a playlist). Put your "highest rank achieved" in your service record, waypoint, etc.

heckfu

Banned
Holy shit: no matter if y'all found out the ranking system today or in one month your life will still be the exact same.

There is rehashing arguments and then there is being inane about stupid questions. I guarantee you'll the ranking system of the game you're going to purchase regardless before it launches.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
Seriously? Making Arena basically revolve around your K/D and having an overly convoluted rating system was absolutely terrible. Sure, eventually it came down to win / loss, but the map selection was still a joke (you can only play Uncaged and co. so many times), the rating system - which now doesn't mean anything - was still there, ready to confuse people and provide pointless info.

Implying that Arena in its first iterations was about skill is laughable. It doesn't matter that the feedback wasn't instant, it's that it was mostly meaningless.

That you would rather see some "pricks" disappointed than have a useful and fun feature in a game speaks volumes. Not about ranking systems, but about how much I should value anything you say from this point on.

We also would have accepted "ranking system", "trueskill", or "E-peen"

I played about 70% of my total games in Arena, it is the only playlist where I felt I could get competitive games consistantly, plus gauranteed DMR starts. Reach as a whole failed because there were not enough maps IMHO. And I don't play MLG. Although if I played with my brother we usually play Super Slayer since he is not very good.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
None of the Japanese fans said the new voice actors are bad. They just felt off because they are not used to them.
Imagine if we got Steve Blum as Chief and Laura Bailey as Cortana. Both great voice actors but it wouldn't change the fact that there is no reason to change the voices from the ones we've had for 10 years.
I understand that, I was just pointing out that they have done work on popular anime.
I don't think Halo sells very well in Japan, so maybe these voice actors are cheaper or something.
Well the new VA's actually have done a lot more work in comparison to their predecessors.

Overdoziz

Banned
And only having a ranking system in a single playlist is silly. At least in Halo 2 and 3 there were varying types of playlist that you could rank up in. Some people were really good in Snipers, some were good in SWAT and others in the MLG playlist. You had a better idea of what people were good in. In Reach you can only really show that you're good in playing Slayer on about 3 different maps in a playlist that rarely even reaches a population of over a thousand players.

Striker

I played about 70% of my total games in Arena, it is the only playlist where I felt I could get competitive games consistantly, plus gauranteed DMR starts. Reach as a whole failed because there were not enough maps IMHO. And I don't play MLG. Although if I played with my brother we usually play Super Slayer since he is not very good.
There's a decent amount in there, it's simply not good quality (like Halo 3's Ranked Slayer). Like I want to play shit like Boardwalk or Snowbound. Once they ironed out the balance of it and removed AL, Camo, and eventually Jetpack, it still had the issue of having to play four games to get accounted for. I don't think many liked that. That, along with the name was another reason why others ran to regular Slayer. Though Halo 3 had the same fate - Social Slayer was its most popular playlist by far.

Yep, another repeated subject, blah blah.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Why don't you play MLG?

How would giving communities that understand the nuances of both competitive and casual play of their respective playlists be any worse than letting 343 control everything? I'd take e-drama over removing Squad Slayer while keeping TU BETA SLAYER intact.

The same reason why we don't let people who like buildings and spend a lot of time in them design/build them. We have architects, designers and engineers for that.

I understand that perhaps 343's playlist management skills are questionable to some, but I'd wager - judging by how both custom games and the bitchfests that go on within a community go - that community-based-per-playlist/gametype management would be even worse.

Why don't you play MLG?

I suck overall, but I didn't play MLG in Reach because I found it varied too much from the base game, and because the playlist was almost exclusively flat, grey Forge maps. I like competitive, but man, the MLG playlist and the whole way Reach was handled was just damn boring. *snore*

willow ve

There's a decent amount in there, it's simply not good quality (like Halo 3's Ranked Slayer). Like I want to play shit like Boardwalk or Snowbound. Once they ironed out the balance of it and removed AL, Camo, and eventually Jetpack, it still had the issue of having to play four games to get accounted for. I don't think many liked that. That, along with the name was another reason why others ran to regular Slayer. Though Halo 3 had the same fate - Social Slayer was its most popular playlist by far.

Yep, another repeated subject, blah blah.

The popularity for Social Slayer could also be somewhat attributed to the fact you could bring guests in to the Social playlists. In my opinion Halo 3 had the best division of "ranked" and "social" playlists (even if there might have been too many playlists overall).

The same reason why we don't let people who like buildings and spend a lot of time in them design/build them. We have architects, designers and engineers for that.

Like me.
Although we're not really building much in the USA right now - which is why I'm designing drawing car dealerships now as a freelance architect

Still no word on the ranking system?

Still?

I think Bungie eliminated ranks in Reach largely to de-motivate network manipulation. At the 48,49,50 levels in Team Slayer, I would intermittently run into host booters (sometimes on my side, sometimes not). "Watch me kick this guy out." And sure enough, players start dropping.

I'm really interested in what 343 has come up with as well.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
Why don't you play MLG?

Not sure really, I always play alone so I think thats part of it, since MLG requires communication with there being no radar I simply don't use the mic much. Arena I can go in solo and no one really talks so I fit right in.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
The popularity for Social Slayer could also be somewhat attributed to the fact you could bring guests in to the Social playlists. In my opinion Halo 3 had the best division of "ranked" and "social" playlists (even if there might have been too many playlists overall).

This x10

Striker

Yeah, the idea behind Ranked/Social might be fine, but it created too many. They just needed a single playlist with proper weighting to distribute proper gametypes, because slayer would've been more popular. Team Slayer in Reach getting guests also raises its popularity, obviously. I wish they would put them in their own playlist rather than allowing them to dip around.

Top Bottom