• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Bsigg12

Just noticed in the IGN Armory walkthrough video that "wetwork" is a visor color available for the recruit helmet. I'm not sure if this was discussed during PAX but it looks like the visor colors unlocked while working on a specialization become an overall available color.

Shoot if old

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, I guess
we know why the promethians go from orange to blue now when frank mentions they go from "automated" to directed by another force.

Spoilered GameTrailers reference. My apologies if this has been mentioned, I just woke up.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, I guess
we know why the promethians go from orange to blue now when frank mentions they go from "automated" to directed by another force.

Spoilered GameTrailers reference. My apologies if this has been mentioned, I just woke up.

Makes sense.
Wonder if this affects how they act in-game.

Although I do feel somewhat iffy about kill cams in general, I have always liked the Final Kill replay from COD. Definitely wouldn't mind if that was in all gametypes.

Yeah I hope it's possible to have final game winnin killcams but turn normal killcams off, I hope they are not tied to eachother.

Again - Game winning killcams need to be in all modes :p I would love to have them in customs.

Hey You

All joking aside for one sec, do you have any idea when you can talk about the classic playlists, or whether or not there is a, you know, skill-based ranking system?

Didn't we get the launch playlist lineup? Doesn't include any classic playlists and they will talk about the ranking system when they're ready guys.

Match starts with no bases captured.

Take base.

Base upgrades with new weapons, fortifications and vehicle the longer you hold it.

Use those items to defend your base and take others.

Once a base is upgraded the other team can capture and take it over in its upgraded state. (Teams can recapture or steal a base at any time. Just using this as an example.)

First team to have bases captured for the set amount of points, wins the game.

It's BTB and crazy fun. Love seeing my bases defense turrets come online.
Can you confirmed that the scores they were playing to in the media we've seen are not the ones that will be in matchmaking, because both games I saw lasted about 3-4 minutes?
Also, the Magnum can headshot, unlike the Boltshot (as far as i know anyway). I hope the Boltshot cannot headshot, because that way the Magnum still has some use.
Still, i know i won't be using the Magnum, i'd rather take Dexterity and either the Plasma Pistol or Boltshot.
Hmmm, you seem to have misspelled Firepower.
As well as SR-2 there is also a visual level (private I think?), which used to indicate EXP rank in Reach as well as H3. It would be redundant to have two EXP systems. So I'm THINKING there are 50 EXP ranks to go through as well as SR1-50 which is skill based.

We definitely know that SR is the EXP system.

Not watching any of the campaign footage, and I'm still pretty bored with all the multiplayer footage :/

Dominion sounds cool though. Sounds like a better version of domination from CoD. Not happy with the kill cams but if they're only in dominion, I guess I can live with it.

Still, not hyped :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So dominion is the invasion replacement I guess. It sounds good to me. I can see that being a lot of fun. I'm guessing it's at least BTB sized.

Woorloog

Banned
Hmmm, you seem to have misspelled Firepower.

I don't need two primary weapons. I'm going to pick up some Ordance anyway, so i'd throw one of my weapons away.
Especially if i'm going to use the Lightrifle, it doubles as the BR and DMR.

That said, i noticed that you can have both Firepower and Dexterity. Might be useful, switching from the DMR to Storm Rifle or such for CQB. Though again, i'm likely to pick up weapons from the field so Firepower will have limited utility for me.

Too bad one can't have Ammo and Dexterity at the same time.

Arnie

Mr Ellis, this one's open for you, too.

At this point I think it's pretty clear that they've just been briefed to openly ignore such questions. I've come around to the idea that they're brushing a skill based ranking system under the carpet to chase after the COD style system. Like I say, the Halo experience system will be absolutely mundane to me, as I tired of such a premise in about 2009.

feel

Ok just woke up and this is pretty overwhelming. Is there a place that has compiled all the video links??

(And did someone take on my steam game bet? Seems like I lost if so.)

Merguson

Banned
I wonder how many episodes are planned for Spartan Ops. I know there's at least four episodes planned from the GTTV interview about Spartan Ops when they went through the Spartan Ops menu with five chapters in one of them. (I assume that's the same for the rest of the episodes).

Swarmerr

I feel that 343 is holding back on this information because they know it will cause a lot of backlash. They will just let us know that they didn't find a solution to introducing a skill based ranking system a week before release, in hopes that you already pre-ordered the game. It would be a very sneaky move on their end and I am disappointed that a new company I "beli343ed" in is already shitting on all my hopes of bringing back a skill-based ranking system.

Not gonna lie as negative as both of us are sounding right now this does seem to be the case for what will happen. Honestly, I don't care at this point. As amazing as the game looks we have no idea how the game will be handled online. We have gotten hints and reassurances that matchmaking will be streamlined and managed properly but no details on the matter. What good is it to have a great game that gives you awful matches. Halo reach was not a good game at all but with the addition of the TU some people believe that ZBNS was better to play than halo 3. Of course it doesn't matter when almost every game you play is a blowout with you on top or the bottom. People can SLRP on halo 4 all they want but in the end if people are not put into competitive, even matches the game will suffer online.

A visible skill based rank system is not even necessary to have to create even and competitive matches. (It pains me to say that btw, because I really want a visible skill based rank system) The thing is however, a visible skill based rank system would create a system of accountability and peace of mind for me personally. 343 would have to make sure matches are competitive and even with a visible skill based rank system because otherwise it is blatantly obvious to a player if the system is working. Whereas with a rank system that is hidden the player has less of an idea about how the system is ranking that player versus other opponents. (the player doesn't know if they are getting better and just facing better opponents, or if they are just getting matched randomly with people that aren't good etc.)

If anyone has a problem with getting matches that are competitive and even, well I don't even know. I do understand that some people don't want a visible skill based rank system and even though I disagree that is not my main point in this mini rant if I can call it that. The main thing is 343 has not dedicated anything in the likes of hard details and facts about how they intend to handle matching players of the same skill level together to create fair and intense matches. Aka I do not want another halo reach on my hands in regards to how matchmaking handles.

PS- of course people can play customs, campaign, specops and etc but your average consumer of halo 4 will be playing matchmaking. The longevity of the game will primarily be attributed to how enjoyable the online matchmaking experience is.

Dude, be for real. If you are on a videogames forum saying you might not buy game x if the developer doesn't do y, you are going to buy that game.

I do wish they'd just come out and say "there will be no ranking system of any kind", but I'm still gonna buy the game regardless.

And so are you, chip.

Key word was preoder. I probably will still buy the game but until I see hard details on how the online aspect of the game will be handled I will not under any circumstances put down extra money for the game.

edit: going to a meeting will be back in an hour or so.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I wonder how many episodes are planned for Spartan Ops. I know there's at least four episodes planned from the GTTV interview about Spartan Ops when they went through the Spartan Ops menu with five chapters in one of them. (I assume that's the same for the rest of the episodes).

At San Diego Comic Con we announced that this season of Spartan Ops would include 10 episodes (or weeks) of content, which includes 50 missions.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So in game modes that don't have the upgraded death cam, what are the properties of the old death cam?

Can I swing the camera around my dead body?
Can I swing the camera around my teammates dead body or just when they're alive?
Can I swing the camera around my dead body after I've cycled to a teammates body? (Could do this in Halo 3 but not Reach)
Will the camera around my dead body follow the person who killed me like it does in Halo Reach? (Until I take over control)

Vire

Maybe someone from 343 can clarify.

From IGN:

I discover my first Halo 4 terminal, only to be greeted by the disappointing message, “Domain video unlocked on terminal.” It would seem that you might have to go to Halo Waypoint in order to watch these…

Is this true?

Trey

Maybe someone from 343 can clarify.

From IGN:

I discover my first Halo 4 terminal, only to be greeted by the disappointing message, “Domain video unlocked on terminal.” It would seem that you might have to go to Halo Waypoint in order to watch these…

Is this true?

Or they didn't want terminals with significant story information viewable in a preview demonstration.

Talents

Banned
Play Halo 3, breh. It's been here for you all this time.

I do play Halo 3... it's one of the only games on xbox I play.

Anyway, if you read what I quoted, Bigshow was talking about the classic playlist, if it was classic, it wouldn't have any of the things I said in it.

CyReN

At San Diego Comic Con we announced that this season of Spartan Ops would include 10 episodes (or weeks) of content, which includes 50 missions.

So the 10 weeks start on the 6th?

----

Kill-cam looks interesting, can't help but think can it be manipulated into a spectator mode later now in post release though.

Kill-cam looks interesting, can't help but think can it be manipulated into a spectator mode later now in post release though.

Yea its kind of odd that spectator mode is completely out but kill cams are in. Who knows, maybe a day one patch will allow spectating (even if its limited to local)

At this point I think it's pretty clear that they've just been briefed to openly ignore such questions.
I mean I understand if there's some reason they can't talk about these things yet; I'm really just curious about when we'll know. A week from now? On release day? The latter would be pretty disappointing, 343!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I do play Halo 3... it's one of the only games on xbox I play.

Anyway, if you read what I quoted, Bigshow was talking about the classic playlist, if it was classic, it wouldn't have any of the things I said in it.

Halo 3 isn't "classic" Halo. All those energy balls!

Overdoziz

Banned
Pretty sure 343 has never mentioned anything about there being a classic playlist. A stripped-down playlist yes, not classic. Big difference.

Top Bottom