• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

According to the french magazine:

• Mech is called the Mantis, playable in campaign
  • New game mode called Flood (think Infection x100)
  • Flood - 2 infected players, 10 non-infected, 12 total (Flood infected Spartans shown)
  • Infected players have deadly claws for melee damage and enhanced vision

Very worried about this.

• Flood - 2 infected players, 10 non-infected, 12 total (Flood infected Spartans shown)

Faith in MM, Restored.

BigShow36

Just for giggles and shit, I'll play devil's advocate and argue for a form of bloom present in Halo 4 (not necessarily the bloom we got in Reach), along with the other firing mechanics like spread and recoil.

They're in place to modify the skill gap so that its diminishing effect is mitigated, while the gain of more players having "fun" is maximized.

Are you arguing that randomized, however slight, mechanics in a precision weapon make it more "fun" for people?

I also find it sad that the fringe gametypes of Halo are getting more love and intelligent design than the core MP.

Multiplayer is canon.

Gotta love it.

*Rolls eyes*
The UNSC is now intimately familiar with the threat of the Flood. It makes sense that they would implement training programs for Spartans that allow the latter to get to grips with that threat and face it in simulated combat yadda yadda...

That said, devoting a fuckton of resources to Grifball and Living Dead while throwing exactly no competitive bones is kind of galling.

CyReN

Being one of my favorite comic book characters in the Halo series is now complete.

FcPTh.gif

Vire

"Master Chief will become even more powerful by taking control of the Mantis"

Here's hoping it doesn't come off as a cheesy Anime ripoff.

The UNSC is now intimately familiar with the threat of the Flood. It makes sense that they would implement training programs for Spartans that allow the latter to get to grips with that threat and face it in simulated combat yadda yadda...

That said, devoting a fuckton of resources to Grifball and Living Dead while throwing exactly no competitive bones is kind of galling.

Grifball and Infection are the new MLG

Is there a link to this magazine? Please, I'm quite interested!

GhaleonEB

:D

Living Dead/Infection, done proper Halo style.

Noricart

Dominion looks fun, but the real question is, can we make Dominion maps in forge, AND are we getting more Dominion maps than invasion maps in reach?

reserved until pics or official confirmation

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Is there a link to this magazine? Please, I'm quite interested!

It's from the French OXM print edition. Can't link to the site because they are posting scans - GAF rules and all.

So this isn't a leak.

Wonder why they choose not to reveal Flood mode to GTTV, IGN and everyone else.

Why ? Its in Forge too so you can play with it in multiplayer.
Er, it seems you missed the point. I have never played a game that has done mech combat I've enjoyed. And whenever I think of Halo's sandbox, mechs are at the bottom of the barrel of what I would associate it with. Given past Halo encounters, it's hard for me to imagine how you would integrate mechs well. Additionally, I'm worried that the sections with the mech in it will be designed for only using the mech, rather than the mech being one of several options available to the player as in past vehicle encounters.

Beckx

"Master Chief will become even more powerful by taking control of the Mantis"

Here's hoping it doesn't come off as a cheesy Anime ripoff.

Given that the mech design is western (assuming it's the one we've seen in screenshots) that shouldn't be a problem.

Me? I wanted a LED Mirage. So there.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Additionally, I'm worried that the sections with the mech in it will be designed for only using the mech, rather than the mech being one of several options available to the player as in past vehicle encounters.

So, like the original Warthog sections in CE? They didn't suffer because you had a lack of choice of vehicles.

And you're assuming you won't have any choice. Making assumptions at this point is silly.

Besides, the Sabre section in Reach is probably the worst case scenario here - and it was pretty awesome the first time around.

BigShow36

It's from the French OXM print edition. Can't link to the site because they are posting scans - GAF rules and all.

So this isn't a leak.

Wonder why they choose not to reveal Flood mode to GTTV, IGN and everyone else.

The French audience was more suited to a reveal about hiding and running from things attacking you.

I don't need two primary weapons. I'm going to pick up some Ordance anyway, so i'd throw one of my weapons away.
Especially if i'm going to use the Lightrifle, it doubles as the BR and DMR.

That said, i noticed that you can have both Firepower and Dexterity. Might be useful, switching from the DMR to Storm Rifle or such for CQB. Though again, i'm likely to pick up weapons from the field so Firepower will have limited utility for me.

Too bad one can't have Ammo and Dexterity at the same time.
Firepower and Dexterity >

It's all personal preference to fit what you want to do, but I think more people are going to use Firepower than they are thinking at this point. Storm Rifle secondary is cash moneyz.
Dominion looks fun, but the real question is, can we make Dominion maps in forge, AND are we getting more Dominion maps than invasion maps in reach?

Considering that the gametype was shown on Exile and Longbow, I think they will be on most of the maps that are considered good for BTB gametypes.

BigShow36

Getting a full zombies infection mode is nice and all, but where's my competitive ranking system?

The core of Halo is Grifball, Rocketrace and Zombies. Haven't you seen the playlist stats in Reach? We don't have time to make good design choices for fringe gametypes like Slayer or CTF.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So what about the Mantis in multiplayer? It looks like it's taking a starring role in at least one prime section of the game - almost assuredly meaning we'll see it in multiplayer in some limited form.

This can still happen.

cy2.jpg

Overdoziz

Banned
You can spawn the Mechs in Forge?
I mean, I doubt they'll be much fun to use in campaign or competitive multiplayer but for crazy custom games they could be pretty awesome.

So, like the original Warthog sections in CE? They didn't suffer because you had a lack of choice of vehicles.
No, but it would be a step backwards from the evolution the sandbox has undergone in the past ten years. I've been saying for a while that Halo 3's encounters are far above anything in CE's, and the variety of choices offered to the player in many encounters is a huge part of that.
And you're assuming you won't have any choice. Making assumptions at this point is silly.
I haven't made any assumptions – I said I was worried it would end up like that.
Besides, the Sabre section in Reach is probably the worst case scenario here - and it was pretty awesome the first time around.
And every time after that? ;)

JHall

Yeah, so is the lack of any information that benefits the Competitive Community

I've been apart of the competitive community since late '04 early '05.

Console games are not made with a competitive mindset anymore. The quicker you understand that, the less disappointed you're going to be when the game releases.

Top Bottom