• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

willow ve

According to the french magazine:

• Mech is called the Mantis, playable in campaign
  • New game mode called Flood (think Infection x100)
  • Flood - 2 infected players, 10 non-infected, 12 total (Flood infected Spartans shown)
  • Infected players have deadly claws for melee damage and enhanced vision

Sounds interesting. I always wanted the Infection gametype to actually be based on The Flood. Would be even more interesting if the "infected" players were actually skinned like flood forms.

VVVVVV
For people who have trouble with Waypoint:
So for everyone? Thanks for uploading the img files, I can't get waypoint to even load the front page right now.

Vire

For people who have trouble with Waypoint:
99Yc0.png

e5ECP.png

ee0vN.png

iiZvU.png

Woorloog

Banned
The thing is, CTF with its changes for Halo 4 as it exists now is 2 flag all the time.

Neutral assault (which is what I would miss if it were gone) would play nothing like the redesigned Halo 4 CTF. It would be as different as KOTH or Oddball.
Well, CTF exist in Halo 4 and 343i hinted that they could add more variants in the future. So Neutral Flag or Reverse Neutral Flag or One Flag are not necessarily out of question.
Having to arm it and defend it until it explodes completely changes how it plays. With reverse neutral flag you could just kinda run into the enemy base and rush for the capture point. In Neutral Bomb you have to set up an attack a lot more. You have to get close to the arm spot, kill enemies along the way and keep them away until you've got the bomb armed and made it explode. That requires a lot more teamwork.
Hmm. In my experience if you have enough teamwork to get the flag/bomb moving in the right direction you're winning. Defending that bomb is so minor thing.
Of course things are different with parties...
I know Neutral Bomb is different due to requirement to defend the bomb after arming but that is rather minor thing as i see it, even with proper parties and motivation. Most tactics are applicapble to either one, with Bomb requiring just some more defense after reaching enemy base. Oversimplification but i'm good at those. EDIT or maybe an understament. Or maybe i just do not see the appeal or finesse of certain Objective modes. But then i'm a Slayer person.

Yeah, I understand the reversal you're going for: take something in the middle to their base vs. yours. And you're right. But even something as simple as that reversal made them play out dramatically differently, which is what I elaborated on. The need to enter the enemy base and hold it for a bit changes the game to an enormous degree. None of the scenarios I described play out in CTF.

But in truth, since that was the only of the three variants to really play differently than CTF - there are differences, but relatively small - that I can see the rationale for killing Assault. But I'll miss by beloved Neutral. :(
Did i claim that Neutral Assault plays like CTF? Don't think so.
Or maybe i did. Again, i didn't make myself clear enough, i was always referring to (Reverse) Neutral Flag or Reverse CTF. Need to double check and re-read what i'm writing.
Ah, writing's not my strong suit. Can be seen in my school grades...

I find people tend to do better in CTF. As soon as assault starts people run away from the base. The bomb sits there for 5 minutes unless I grab it and go alone.

Yeah, you are right though. Assault just seems worse.

Objective only works if both teams are evenly matched in terms of skill; otherwise you end up with games of infinite slayer.

When teams are evenly matched things get competitive and fun.

GhaleonEB

Did i claim that Neutral Assault plays like CTF? Don't think so.
Or maybe i did. Again, i didn't make myself clear enough, i was always referring to (Reverse) Neutral Flag or Reverse CTF. Need to double check and re-read what i'm writing.
Ah, writing's not my strong suit. Can be seen in my school grades...
This could have been my error as well. I did not until this very post realize you meant Reverse Neutral Flag. I thought you meant Neutral Assault played like Neutral Flag, reversed.

I think it's in our mutual best interest to put this incident behind us. :lol

Disco Grunt is hilarious. Get down, get funky.

Very, very cool. Chief, Grunts, humans, and Jackals with helmets look great. Concerned that my beloved Sangheili look a little stockier and less graceful -- almost like Brutes!

Have we seen Hunters in any H4 footage yet?

Didn't realize the target designator was back either.

I think this is the first time we've seen Hunters in Halo 4, although I know we've heard they would be back.

I don't think we've seen Commander Palmer yet...or any female spartans for that matter

jx8gpEBS1bgXw.PNG

willow ve

You guys are missing the point that neutral bomb and assault will be pointless in the new War Games. Think about it, can't take a bomb into a base when there's a giant waypoint over your head and the opposing team is being yelled at by Steitzer to "stop the bomb carrier!" "kill the bomb carrier" and "LOOK, WE PUT A WAYPOINT OVER HIS HEAD SO YOU CAN'T MISS THE FACT THAT WE WANT YOU TO KILL THE BOMB CARRIER"

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I never understood the point of the rocket hog. Just make the guass hog shoot slower and it fills this niche.

TheOddOne

I think this is the first time we've seen Hunters in Halo 4, although I know we've heard they would be back.

I don't think we've seen Commander Palmer yet...or any female spartans for that matter.
We finally have a name for her, she was in the scene where Chief was being yelled at by the guy from Shawshank.

L1NETT

Man, all this info is overwhelming haha. This game looks insanely good though. So pumped, I don't think Reach ever had me this excited. In fact, I haven't been this excited for a game since Halo 3.

Same :) Just went out and bought some Mountain Dew in celebration (I finally found some near me Elzar!)

On Dominion, while it does look like a lot of fun, the HUD notifications get very cluttered. To the point where there are 6/7 on the screen at the same time. Really hope there is a way to disable, say the weapon notification ones and only have the objective markers. Or, none at all to make all partys happy.

GhaleonEB

You guys are missing the point that neutral bomb and assault will be pointless in the new War Games. Think about it, can't take a bomb into a base when there's a giant waypoint over your head and the opposing team is being yelled at by Steitzer to "stop the bomb carrier!" "kill the bomb carrier" and "LOOK, WE PUT A WAYPOINT OVER HIS HEAD SO YOU CAN'T MISS THE FACT THAT WE WANT YOU TO KILL THE BOMB CARRIER"

Aye. I wonder about 1-Flag as well, since the CTF playlist will have 2-flag only. Has 1-flag been confirmed?

Woorloog

Banned
This could have been my error as well. I did not until this very post realize you meant Reverse Neutral Flag. I thought you meant Neutral Assault played like Neutral Flag, reversed.

I think it's in our mutual best interest to put this incident behind us. :lol

Well, my writing definetly needs improvement. I've always been lax with proofreading and being clear.

But i think we got through to each other anyway.

So, yeah, let's drop it.

Now i reckon i'll end up arguing with Overdoziz about Neutral Bomb and teamwork.

willow ve

Aye. I wonder about 1-Flag as well, since the CTF playlist will have 2-flag only. Has 1-flag been confirmed?

Personally I think they can keep round based gametypes out of matchmaking. They're slow and end in a lot of ties. Granted it does lead to some very tense moments, but that same feeling can be accomplished with Neutral Assault.

Target designator is back?

How else will we boost for campaign Sparty Bucks?

On Dominion, while it does look like a lot of fun, the HUD notifications get very cluttered. To the point where there are 6/7 on the screen at the same time. Really hope there is a way to disable, say the weapon notification ones and only have the objective markers. Or, none at all to make all partys happy.
And for all that, in one bit of footage from today, a 'trained' game journalist still merrily wandered out of the base he had just captured despite the fact that an enemy was obviously in there with him and immediately reclaiming it.

You can lead a horse to water, and provide it with a flashing heads-up display that says 'YOU ARE NEAR WATER' and 'DRINK WATER', and meanwhile shout at it to 'DRINK THE ENEMY WATER', but you cannot... yadda yadda.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Disco grunt is the best grunt.

willow ve

You can lead a horse to water, and provide it with a flashing heads-up display that says 'YOU ARE NEAR WATER' and 'DRINK WATER', and meanwhile shout at it to 'DRINK THE ENEMY WATER', but you cannot... yadda yadda.

In future games they'll introduce Left 4 Dead style AI that takes over for a player if they're just wandering around for too long so they can DRINK THE DAMN WATER.

Personally I think they can keep round based gametypes out of matchmaking. They're slow and end in a lot of ties. Granted it does lead to some very tense moments, but that same feeling can be accomplished with Neutral Assault.

For me objective games were never better then 1 flag/bomb in Halo 2 but of course you need the right kind of maps for it. Out of matchmaking would be one thing but out of the game? That would be a travesty.

Vire

Not really feeling the ranger suites. Seem kinda weird.

The Jackals look like Space Chickens in them and the Grunts look like Buzz Lightgear.

2821615-web_preview.png

Not really feeling the ranger suites. Seem kinda weird.

The Jackals look like Space Chickens in them and the Grunts look like Buzz Lightgear.

http://download.halowaypoint.com/content/waypoint/assets/images/1784f046a20545f9a4d7a499f73f79c2/2821615-web_preview.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

God dammit! Now I can't unsee space chickens.

Woorloog

Banned
Wait, red Zealots and golden Warriors?

Well, the Zealots were maroon in Halo Reach. Gold implies, at least in regular Covenant, Field/Ship/Fleet Master, i reckon Zealots usually took the role of one of these and thus wore the golden armor. When they're Zealots, they wear red/maroon. Maybe. Reach kinda retconned this, need to read what Halopedia has to say...
The Elite Warrior is probably the Storm faction's field master.

EDIT http://www.halopedia.org/Sangheili_Zealot

In Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2, Zealots wear a gold-colored version of the standard combat harness. This led to the long-held misconception that golden armor reflects a Sangheili's status as a Zealot. It was first implied in Halo: Reach and later confirmed in Halo: The Great Journey: The Art of Building Worlds that golden armor merely indicates the wearer's position as a field commander. Halo: The Essential Visual Guide states that all the golden-armored Elites seen in the first two games are Zealots; the color of their armor thus indicates that all Zealots in these games are field commanders rather than, (or in addition to), being artifact hunters.

Okay, this is how I think Dominion works:

3 bases neutral at the start.

Walk into a base, hold X at the terminal while the bar fills. You cannot move/fire while doing this.

Once the bar is full: "Capture Initiated". This base is not yours quite yet. A 15-second timer starts, when that completes: "Base Captured". If it was a neutral/Level 1 base, your team gets 10 points for the capture. (You don't get points for capturing enemy bases.)

A 45-second timer now starts for your new base. This isn't a global timer - each base has its own. At the end of that timer, it upgrades to Level 2 and your team gets 20 points. This repeats every 45 seconds, e.g. you get 30 points for upgrading to level 3.

You can pause an enemy base's 45-second upgrade timer by holding X at a terminal inside. If you manage to fill the short progress bar, you completely cancel that 45-second timer and get a 15-second timer of your own for a base capture - which an enemy can likewise pause/interrupt by killing you and holding X at his terminal. He doesn't have to wait an extra 15 seconds to retain the base, but it does restart his upgrade timer to 45 seconds.

The UI really shines here, it seems very clear which base is about to be fortified, which is about to be captured, etc. Lots of timers and progress bars for quick info. Friendly bases are circles, enemy bases are diamonds. The icon color matches your team color.

Capturing an enemy Level 2 base doesn't give you a Level 1 base - you get it at Level 2 and will get 30 points if you manage to hold it for the 45 seconds needed to get it to Level 3. As each base levels up, it grants new options to its owner - holograms indicate vehicles that can be requested, weapons, etc. Shield doors eventually make the base harder to take by closing off some (but not all) entrances. These can be melee'd for access. (Not completely sure how that works.)

Last Stand: If you hold all 3 bases, the enemy cannot respawn. The survivors get "Kill" waypoints over their head, but they also get an overshield. If they manage to recapture a base, the game continues until the score limit is reached. If you kill all the survivors, your team automatically wins regardless of score.

Ellis, Frank, correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom