• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Pepsi always partners up Mt. Dew and Doritos for game launches. It was only just a matter of time before it happened :)
Well they aren't partnering because PepsiCo makes Pepsi, Mt. Dew, and Doritos. :p
"Incineration Cannon and Binary rifle, both power weapons, are not ludicrously overpowered," said 343 Industires spokesperson Frank O'Connor at a hastily called press conference this afternoon. "Adapt, bitch," he added, before stepping down from the podium and attempting to leave. However, he was embarassed in front of Neogaf's elite press corps when the fire exit he attempted to leave through was locked.

I laughed

"Adapt, bitch,"
ibredB7GOKCQcd.gif

Actually they have. Months ago, in a bulletin. Lemme look for that... http://blogs.halo.xbox.com/Headlines/post/2012/05/09/The-Halo-Bulletin-5912.aspx EDIT strictly speaking, the genetic modification was UNSC speculation, not a fact. But doesn't matter.

Halo 3 Jackals certainly didn't have beaks. EDIT hell, even Halo 2 Jackals didn't have beaks, just thin long jaws with teeth. Creatures with beaks don't have (usually, can't think of any exceptions though) teeth.

WAAAAAT

Arnie

"Incineration Cannon and Binary rifle, both power weapons, are not ludicrously overpowered," said 343 Industires spokesperson Frank O'Connor at a hastily called press conference this afternoon. "Adapt, bitch," he added, before stepping down from the podium and attempting to leave. However, he was embarassed in front of Neogaf's elite press corps when the fire exit he attempted to leave through was locked.

When the question arose surrounding skill based ranks, 343 spokesperson Frank O'Connor turned a cute shade of pink, before turning to his PR representative and and angrily whispering something from the shelter of his cupped hand.

The press conference was over, in his haste to leave the now raucous room, spokesperson O'Connor knocked over his water.

"So it's essentially just the system used by Call of Duty?", a journalist fired out in desperation.

But he was gone.

Woorloog

Banned
You cannot change a species's very phylum and have it still be the same species.

They'll still play the same, but they won't be the same.
What i said on the previous page
They have not said that about the grunts, people are just inferring that due to 343 dancing around the subject.
Jackals have always had beaks, now they don't. That is a MASSIVE fuck up.

Actually they have. Months ago, in a bulletin. Lemme look for that... http://blogs.halo.xbox.com/Headlines/post/2012/05/09/The-Halo-Bulletin-5912.aspx EDIT strictly speaking, the genetic modification was UNSC speculation, not a fact. But doesn't matter.

Halo 3 Jackals certainly didn't have beaks. EDIT hell, even Halo 2 Jackals didn't have beaks, just thin long jaws with teeth. Creatures with beaks don't have (usually, can't think of any exceptions though) teeth.
http://www.halopedia.org/File:JackalCloseup.jpg
This is not a beak.

EDIT ancient grunts http://www.halopedia.org/File:Ancient_Grunts.jpg
These new ones look more like these old ones than the ones in Halo CE, 2, 3 or Reach. EDIT though as i said, aesthetics are not that canonical.

EDIT also, if you study the pics of the new and old Grunts, you can see quite a lot of similarities.

Made my afternoon

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Well they aren't partnering because PepsiCo makes Pepsi, Mt. Dew, and Doritos. :p

I know i know, I made the statement more as they put them together in advertising... I guess partnering was a poor choice of a word. ;)

Now if I can just track down my local Pepsi guy I'll con him into showing me the Doritos bags so I can take a terrible picture and post it online like all other leaked things :)

And this made working to 11pm bearable, and starts my weekend off with a smile :) Thanks Frankie!

I know i know, I made the statement more as they put them together in advertising... I guess partnering was a poor choice of a word. ;)

Now if I can just track down my local Pepsi guy I'll con him into showing me the Doritos bags so I can take a terrible picture and post it online like all other leaked things :)

Taking a picture with a potato is required, or the internet leaks standards board will be after you.

GhaleonEB

The good news: I did not read this while in a meeting just now.

The bad: I read it right after taking a sip of soda. Son of a bitch. :lol

nillapuddin

as a thoroghly true blooded canon fanatic, all the books, extended fiction, everything

I love the new jackals

Ive always prefered the non-avian-ish versions

Jackal_hog.jpg

looks like borderlands dont it?

Woorloog

Banned
crocodile_skull_cast_narrow_snout.jpg

Its a snout..... and its more like Crocodile then a bird's beak. Just throwing it out there...

Ah, very good comparison. Snout.. hmm, wonder to what exactly it translates in Finnish... we have too few words for things. EDIT Ah. Okay, we don't have too few words for various facial features...

The Halo 3 and Reach Jackals have the exact same design.
Err, yeah, nearly so. But doesn't change what i said.

Beaks? BEAKS?

http://i.minus.com/ibpPhggpGJkAmJ.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
If you're not interested, don't comment or put us on ignore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beak
Nope. Beaks do not have teeth, not counting egg tooth.

Of course they're aliens to they can't be really classified or discussed via human terms.

I'll give you that Halo Reach jackals do have beak-likeness more but i wouldn't call it beak still, just a bony protrusion in their face.

The Halo 3 and Reach Jackals have the exact same design.
crocodile_skull_cast_narrow_snout.jpg

Its a snout..... and its more like Crocodile then a bird's beak. Just throwing it out there...
I'll give you that for the Halo 1 and 2 Jackals, but 3 onwards is a beak. Halo 4 doesn't even have a snout

Point is, the Halo 4 Jackals don't look like Jackals.

Woorloog

Banned
I'll give you that for the Halo 1 and 2 Jackals, but 3 onwards is a beak. Halo 4 doesn't even have a snout

Point is, the Halo 4 Jackals don't look like Jackals.

The Halo 3/Reach ones have beak-like protrusion at the end of snout. But it looks more like a bone plate, it would be beak if it didn't have teeth and comprised its whole mandibles.

Halo 4 Jackals are like Jackals ignoring the head. And the head is rather similar, with shorter snout, larger teeth and considerably thicker neck. Not impossible variation. Human necks are quite varied, why not alien ones (this argument's weakness is, of course, that Halo games don't have internal variations, but this is arguably excusable due to system limitations).

EDIT hmm. Okay, the jaw's quite a bit larger as well. Not impossible either. But i still recognize it as a Jackal right away. It was never the face/head that made the species anyway, but the way they're equipped and act along with the general shape and their voices.

EDIT looking at these pics... well, the face is kinda weird, but i like the design anyway. Somewhat scarier that the previous Jackal designs.

Ok, just caught up. So much aweseomeness everywhere.

Match starts with no bases captured.

Take base.

Base upgrades with new weapons, fortifications and vehicle the longer you hold it.

Use those items to defend your base and take others.

Once a base is upgraded the other team can capture and take it over in its upgraded state. (Teams can recapture or steal a base at any time. Just using this as an example.)

First team to have bases captured for the set amount of points, wins the game.

It's BTB and crazy fun. Love seeing my bases defense turrets come online.

='D

That sounds (and looks judging by the videos) amazing. Damn.

Maybe someone from 343 can clarify.

From IGN:

I discover my first Halo 4 terminal, only to be greeted by the disappointing message, “Domain video unlocked on terminal.” It would seem that you might have to go to Halo Waypoint in order to watch these…

Is this true?

Yeah, I hope it isn't the case...but something tells me it is.. Hm, maybe you need an online connection and it will stream the terminal in?

Thought I'd just make this for shits and giggles.

jackalhow.png

Yeah, Im not a fan. Sure, if there are a cross between Skirmishers and Jackals, like another cousin species I can buy it.. But otherwise... Blah. They lost all of their character. I miss the big avian/alien eyes especially.

According to the french magazine:

• Mech is called the Mantis, playable in campaign
  • New game mode called Flood (think Infection x100)
  • Flood - 2 infected players, 10 non-infected, 12 total (Flood infected Spartans shown)
  • Infected players have deadly claws for melee damage and enhanced vision

Holy shit. FLOOD mode? YES! yes. Yes.

=D

Mantis sounds awesome, please be in MP...

So awesome and goofy at the same time.

no doubt to what you said

I just hope they tune the damage more appropriately

Hopefully those with Waypoint trouble appreciate this:

Photobucket album of Character renders

Photobucket album of Ordnance

Awesome, thank you! My god, the new renders are great.. Also, is that an up-armored pelican? And a Target Locator? And a Rocket Hog? And a Shade turret? =D

Sai-kun

Banned

syNmb.gif
syNmb.gif
syNmb.gif
syNmb.gif

Woorloog

Banned
Woorloog, I can't speak for you, but I know that the only way I can recognize that as a Jackal is its silhouette. Same goes for the Grunt.

What else it could be? It doesn't have four mandibles so it is not an Elite. It doesn't have any sort gas mask so it is not a Grunt. It cannot be a Brute, Hunter, Prophet, Drone or Engineer either. So it must be a Jackal. Of course we see everything about them so it is far easier to say what it is but i think i'd recognize it based on the head alone without context (other than "Halo 4, alien species") if it had been shown me before i knew about it.

I'm used to changes made to the aliens beetween Halo games and other works so it is easy for me.

EDIT Halo 4 Grunt would have, i think, given me a bit more difficulty though i think i would have concluded it is a Grunt. Of course there is a possibility i would have guess them to be some new aliens or variations (like Skirmishers) of existing species...

What else it could be? It doesn't have four mandibles so it is not an Elite. It doesn't have any sort gas mask so it is not a Grunt. It cannot be a Brute, Hunter, Prophet, Drone or Engineer either. So it must be a Jackal. Of course we see everything about them so it is far easier to say what it is but i think i'd recognize it based on the head alone without context (other than "Halo 4, alien species") if it had been shown me before i knew about it.

I'm used to changes made to the aliens beetween Halo games and other works so it is easy for me.

That's the point. You're recognizing it based on what it's not. It doesn't look anything like the previous ones, presenting both an aesthetic and a canonical problem.

Woorloog

Banned
That's the point. You're recognizing it based on what it's not. It doesn't look anything like the previous ones, presenting both an aesthetic and a canonical problem.

Well, it has long snout compared to other Covenant species. Jackal has that. Teeth, a lot of them. Spiny protrusions on the head. Bloodthirsty looking. Skin looks a lot like the Jackal's too. I'd say these are enough, in addition to being logical and determining what it is not. And of course, the silhoutte.
There is nothing wrong in using logic to determine what something is not.

http://www.halopedia.org/Kig-Yar#Subtypes

No issues there.

Sai-kun

Banned

canonical problem lmao

it is an aesthetic problem only i would say, because it's just fucking ugly and doesn't really look like the old jackals we like/are used to. they need to move the eyes way back up the face and make their mouths not as huge.

Woorloog

Banned
Not sure if old but, some of these images from the waypoint site.. man:

Dat armor, oddball, and Mark VI <3

First pic of Mark VI classic where it looks somewhat decent in Halo 4. Still doesn't somehow fit with the rest, IMO. Golden visor would help.

The Oddball looks good though, as does the ballcarrier's helmet.

canonical problem lmao
Aesthetics change all the time. Thus "canonical" is a bad argument when it comes to looks.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member

I always play along the lines of... if its moving or shooting, whether at me or something else, it dies. It can be a marine or ODST gunner for my warthog but everyone knows they don't do anything anyway... so they die too. and I drive off into the sunset! or a pack of grunts that were just dropped off... either way the colors are pretty!

Sweet pics

Nice.......

nillapuddin

the jackal head changed alot graphically over the last 10 years, they really pushed it further and further into avian-like from halo 1 to halo 3

from this

0jackal.jpg

Behindyou.jpg

to this
08-19-2004%2011%3B22%3B08AM.jpg

to this

292538-1216049160_jackel_super.jpg

more feathers, more beak-y, more creepy every passing game.
i fucking hate myself for contributing to this

Talents

Banned
I could do this all day.
Just because you don't care about something, doesn't mean other people don't.

Also: changed appearance=changed species, especially when the change is this radical. Definitely canonical issue.

Is that supposed to annoy me? Because it really doesn't. I already know 1-50 isn't in the game, and I really couldn't care. It's not like I overreact at little things like you.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
the jackal head changed alot graphically over the last 10 years, they really pushed it further and further into avian-like from halo 1 to halo 3

more feathers, more beak-y, more creepy every passing game.
i fucking hate myself for contributing to this
Then they went and said, "screw diversity, they're all from one planet!" REPTAR, REPTAR, GOTTA FIND THAT REPTAR

Is that supposed to annoy me? Because it really doesn't. I already know 1-50 isn't in the game, and I really couldn't care. It's not like I overreact at little things like you.

You wish it was, though, correct? Or some other ranking system like it?

The point is, everything you said applies to me. I KNOW the Jackals and Grunts are stuck the way they are, much as I wish it were otherwise; I KNOW there are much bigger fictional and gameplay issues involved; but I STILL wish it were the way it's been throughout the series. There, are we on the same page?

Talents

Banned
You wish it was, though, correct? Or some other ranking system like it?

The point is, everything you said applies to me. I KNOW the Jackals and Grunts are stuck the way they are, much as I wish it were otherwise; I KNOW there are much bigger fictional and gameplay issues involved; but I STILL wish it were the way it's been throughout the series. There, are we on the same page?

Of course I wish it was, but I know it won't happen because the people who are designing the ranking systems over at 343 are probably eating glue.

Beckx

marina_kiss.gif

seriously though, "canonical reasons" is just the worst thing ever. things change slightly all the time. look at the grunts! totally different methane tanks!

I hate the entire concept of "canon."

If we are talking about a single author, an independent person telling stories, I expect them to entertain me, and be thoughtful about what they are doing. I expect them to change their opinions over time, to revisit their creations and even revise them. I certainly don't fling The Lord of the Rings down as soon as Frodo gets to Rivendell, shouting "WTF, these Elves aren't singing silly songs, OMG Canon!" I don't stop reading The Dark Tower because of changes to the Man in Black.

IMO "canon" is this strange fan reaction/creation arising around the same time as the comics boom of the late 80s. A desire to interconnect all of the Batman, etc. stories so they are telling one long story - to make everything like Chris Claremont's X-Men run.

It's turned out disastrously, with these IPs laboring under the massive weight of generations of storytelling, with rabid "fans" ready to skewer the creators at every missed step. To paraphrase Scott Kurtz, you can't even tell a damn Batman story anymore because that week he's supposed to be in a coma, so you get Stand In Batman instead, hope that's okay.

It's not that I don't want a coherent story, one that generally makes sense in its material points - I do! But more importantly, I want to be entertained. I want this developer to make the game they want to make, to express their vision. I want them to be like Hideki Kamiya and say "I do what I want," and "I trust my instincts."

If it's a pile of crap, then it's a pile of crap. I'll be headed for the door. But if it's great, if this particular game is internally consistent and compelling, then to hell with canon.

Edit: bottom of page. Probably for the best.

Top Bottom