• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Okay, this is how I think Dominion works:

3 bases neutral at the start.

Walk into a base, hold X at the terminal while the bar fills. You cannot move/fire while doing this.

Once the bar is full: "Capture Initiated". This base is not yours quite yet. A 15-second timer starts, when that completes: "Base Captured". If it was a neutral/Level 1 base, your team gets 10 points for the capture. (You don't get points for capturing enemy bases.)

A 45-second timer now starts for your new base. This isn't a global timer - each base has its own. At the end of that timer, it upgrades to Level 2 and your team gets 20 points. This repeats every 45 seconds, e.g. you get 30 points for upgrading to level 3.

You can pause an enemy base's 45-second upgrade timer by holding X at a terminal inside. If you manage to fill the short progress bar, you completely cancel that 45-second timer and get a 15-second timer of your own for a base capture - which an enemy can likewise pause/interrupt by killing you and holding X at his terminal. He doesn't have to wait an extra 15 seconds to retain the base, but it does restart his upgrade timer to 45 seconds.

The UI really shines here, it seems very clear which base is about to be fortified, which is about to be captured, etc. Lots of timers and progress bars for quick info. Friendly bases are circles, enemy bases are diamonds. The icon color matches your team color.

Capturing an enemy Level 2 base doesn't give you a Level 1 base - you get it at Level 2 and will get 30 points if you manage to hold it for the 45 seconds needed to get it to Level 3. As each base levels up, it grants new options to its owner - holograms indicate vehicles that can be requested, weapons, etc. Shield doors eventually make the base harder to take by closing off some (but not all) entrances. These can be melee'd for access. (Not completely sure how that works.)

Ellis, Frank, correct me if I'm wrong.

That seems correct from the little we saw.

I really think if a base is recaptured it should reset back to level 1 though.

nillapuddin

Why would someone 'noooo' at the only balanced power-hog?

It's pretty much Chain Hog, Rocket Hog, then Mobile Vehicle Sniper Rifle Of Death.

no doubt to what you said

I just hope they tune the damage more appropriately

Hopefully those with Waypoint trouble appreciate this:

Photobucket album of Character renders

Photobucket album of Ordnance

what are the blue dots on the motion tracker in this video?

New clutter from camo?

yeah, camo spam is blue

I don't really understand how the IC works. The footage today made it look like a hitscan rocket launcher?

And is the Binary Rifle the short-charge Splaser?
It's a rocket launcher that fires a wide spray that kills anything it touches, though you have to reload after each shot. Binary Rifle is the one-hit kill (anywhere) Promethean sniper. The human railgun is the short-charge splaser.

WELL HEY AT LEAST WE HAVE THE TARGET DESIGNATOR BACK
WE ALL KNOW HOW EVERYONE BEGGED FOR ITS RETURN
Well, if 343 axed the grenade launcher because the statistics showed people didn't use it, what do you think the stats showed for the target designator? ;)

Woorloog

Banned
It's a rocket launcher that fires a wide spray that kills anything it touches, though you have to reload after each shot. Binary Rifle is the one-hit kill (anywhere) Promethean sniper. The human railgun is the short-charge splaser.

The Incinerator Cannon leaves "bomblets" around the impact point.
iTlNiriN2P45F.gif

I reckon the Binary Rifle has long reload or something. We know it has two round magazine... i fear it is going to be too good.

FINALLY caught up to this thread. Jesus...

Late to most of the good stuff, so I'll just say this: at least there is one Covenant species they didn't completely botch. The only good thing about the new Grunt and Jackal designs is that they will make me far more eager to kill those monstrosities.

]Capture the Flag, rather amazingly, was super fun. I say that as someone who loathes the standard CTF mode in just about every videogame. Here, both teams have capturable flags out on the field simultaneously and you can run while holding the flag. Additionally, you get to wield a magnum when you're carrying the flag, so you aren't totally defenseless at longer ranges. Somehow, these elements all came together to form a CTF experience that I found to be fast, fun, and intense.

I take it all back, 343, maybe you're on to something with this revamp...

Yes, but you said something which's objectively false, and something your own anecdotal observations still don't support. You have no way of judging what proportion of non-competitive players care about skill based ranks, the only thing that we can say is some of them do. Contrary to your initial post.
Well one of the easiest ways to make the population of any playlist go down significantly is to make it ranked. True with H2, H3, and Reach, and pretty much any other game on the market.

So that says something about how the general population feels about ranking systems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCDUq8yw7Kk&feature=plcp

"There is ganna be skill based matchmaking"

Guess I'm going to be getting the LE copy. Thank you for mentioning that MM point on video Frankie!

Every online Halo has had skill based matchmaking. Skill is one of the factors of the matchmaking algorithms. Not saying there isn't a ranking system, but that statement doesn't confirm that at all in my opinion.

Woorloog

Banned
FINALLY caught up to this thread. Jesus...

Late to most of the good stuff, so I'll just say this: at least there is one Covenant species they didn't completely botch. The only good thing about the new Grunt and Jackal designs is that they will make me far more eager to kill those monstrosities.

Am i the only one who likes the Covie redesigns? And dislikes the fact the Hunter looks the same as before? At least they could have redone the gun, less spikes, more coolness.

I reckon the Binary Rifle has long reload or something. We know it has two round magazine... i fear it is going to be too good.
It's the same weird thinking that brought us the splaser: "Oh, this is extraordinarily powerful, so we'll just reduce the number of times you can fire it, now it's balanced." I don't care how many times my opponent can fire it past the time they fired it and obliterated me mid-spree in an instant because I had the misfortune to be somewhere on the same map as them at the time. I'd much prefer they could fire it more often, but it demanded more of them as players and I had greater recourse because it wasn't, you know, an apocalyptic death ray.

I take it all back, 343, maybe you're on to something with this revamp...
Finally, a CTF mode for people who hate CTF modes...

BigShow36

It's the same weird thinking that brought us the splaser: "Oh, this is extraordinarily powerful, so we'll just reduce the number of times you can fire it, now it's balanced." I don't care how many times my opponent can fire it past the time they fired it and obliterated me mid-spree in an instant because I had the misfortune to be somewhere on the same map as them at the time. I'd much prefer they could fire it more often, but it demanded more of them as players and I had greater recourse because it wasn't, you know, an apocalyptic death ray.

Requiring skill isn't fun for new players.

Bsigg12

The Incinerator Cannon leaves "bomblets" around the impact point.
iTlNiriN2P45F.gif

That's pretty awesome. The Incinerator looks like a great addition to the sandbox.

Am i the only one who likes the Covie redesigns? And dislikes the fact the Hunter looks the same as before? At least they could have redone the gun, less spikes, more coolness.

I would certainly hope you are. Maybe if nobody likes these wretched things, 343 will change them back for H5
nope

The new redesigns break canon, they shit on the uniqueness of each species, and they look abominably ugly to boot. To hell with them.

Woorloog

Banned
I would certainly hope you are. Maybe if nobody likes these wretched things, 343 will change them back for H5
nope

The new redesigns break canon, they shit on the uniqueness of each species, and they look abominably ugly to boot. To hell with them.

Aesthetics are never canon really. Halo Legends had different design for the Elites. Halo CE, 2 and 3 all looked different. Which one is the canonical?

And the Grunts were already implied to be genetically modified or something, maybe the others are as well.
Or these redesigns are simply different races of their species. Who says an alien species' races couldn't have far more morphological differences than humans? Hell, this is reality already, look at dogs.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Have 343 explained how the Incineration Cannon and Binary Rifle aren't ludicrously overpowered yet?

"Incineration Cannon and Binary rifle, both power weapons, are not ludicrously overpowered," said 343 Industires spokesperson Frank O'Connor at a hastily called press conference this afternoon. "Adapt, bitch," he added, before stepping down from the podium and attempting to leave. However, he was embarassed in front of Neogaf's elite press corps when the fire exit he attempted to leave through was locked.

feel

"Incineration Cannon and Binary rifle, both power weapons, are not ludicrously overpowered," said 343 Industires spokesperson Frank O'Connor at a hastily called press conference this afternoon. "Adapt, bitch," he added, before stepping down from the podium and attempting to leave. However, he was embarassed in front of Neogaf's elite press corps when the fire exit he attempted to leave through was locked.
loled

Aesthetics are never canon really. Halo Legends had different design for the Elites. Halo CE, 2 and 3 all looked different. Which one is the canonical?

And the Grunts were already implied to be genetically modified or something, maybe the others are as well.
Or these redesigns are simply different races of their species. Who says an alien species' races couldn't have far more morphological differences than humans? Hell, this is reality already, look at dogs.

Arthropod Grunts are now reptilian grunts.

Avian Jackals are also now reptilian.

Even the Elites, who were already reptilian, are now twice so.
At the end of the day, it's just bad. Ah, well. There is so much to like about this game, but there is also a lot to be angry about, stuff that was perfectly fine and changed for no reason. This fits cleanly in the second category.

lol

Woorloog

Banned
Arthropod Grunts are now reptilian grunts.

Avian Jackals are also now reptilian.

Even the Elites, who were already reptilian, are now twice so.
At the end of the day, it's just bad. Ah, well. There is so much to like about this game, but there is also a lot to be angry about, stuff that was perfectly fine and changed for no reason. This fits cleanly in the second category.

The Grunts are genetically modified. Though rather extensively it seems, if they were... what, crabs? before?

Dinos had feathers. Maybe these Jackals ripped off their feathers. IMO they always looked bird-like reptilians. Now Skirmisher looked more like birds.

The Elites are still Elites.

This is great.

The Grunts are genetically modified. Though rather extensively it seems, if they were... what, crabs? before?

Dinos had feathers. Maybe these Jackals ripped off their feathers. IMO they always looked bird-like reptilians.

The Elites are still Elites.
They have not said that about the grunts, people are just inferring that due to 343 dancing around the subject.
Jackals have always had beaks, now they don't. That is a MASSIVE fuck up.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Legendary renamed to "Salty Bitch" confirm/deny?

Woorloog

Banned
They have not said that about the grunts, people are just inferring that due to 343 dancing around the subject.
Jackals have always had beaks, now they don't. That is a MASSIVE fuck up.

Actually they have. Months ago, in a bulletin. Lemme look for that... http://blogs.halo.xbox.com/Headlines/post/2012/05/09/The-Halo-Bulletin-5912.aspx EDIT strictly speaking, the genetic modification was UNSC speculation, not a fact. But doesn't matter.

Halo 3 Jackals certainly didn't have beaks. EDIT hell, even Halo 2 Jackals didn't have beaks, just thin long jaws with teeth. Creatures with beaks don't have (usually, can't think of any exceptions though) teeth.

Beckx

I am deeply disappointed that Marcel L'Adapteur wouldn't be man enough to defend his work, and sent you out instead.

Top Bottom