• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Vire

HQ0Pm.png

Is it just me or is the Forward Unto Dawn stuff using what sounds like Dues Ex music? I really like the Forward Unto Dawn stuff, pretty hyped to see the show kick off.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Isn't it amazing that the general gaming side of GAF is pretty much in love with Halo 4? We don't hear anymore stuff about milking the franchise, or, "looks like Halo" or any other bullshit. And I've figured out why. It's the
Graphics
I'm gonna quote this post in that thread. trowlowlow

That shit better be patched in Halo 4 if this CTF sucks.

They did say they were considering patching in the option to actually play classic CTF but I still don't get why it isn't an option in the first place.

I thought Halo 4 was all about your gameplay experience. Then why am I not able to play the game how I want, even in customs?

Isn't it amazing that the general gaming side of GAF is pretty much in love with Halo 4? We don't hear anymore stuff about milking the franchise, or, "looks like Halo" or any other bullshit. And I've figured out why. It's the
Graphics

Pixels are a powerful force that few can resist. They form the foundation of everything gaming related.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
As much as I like this screenshot, the scale makes absolute no sense.

Am I missing something here?

It's the difference between a hastily produced announcement trailer and something shipping in the final game. Not a big deal imho

Fuchsdh

I hate the entire concept of "canon."

If we are talking about a single author, an independent person telling stories, I expect them to entertain me, and be thoughtful about what they are doing. I expect them to change their opinions over time, to revisit their creations and even revise them. I certainly don't fling The Lord of the Rings down as soon as Frodo gets to Rivendell, shouting "WTF, these Elves aren't singing silly songs, OMG Canon!" I don't stop reading The Dark Tower because of changes to the Man in Black.

IMO "canon" is this strange fan reaction/creation arising around the same time as the comics boom of the late 80s. A desire to interconnect all of the Batman, etc. stories so they are telling one long story - to make everything like Chris Claremont's X-Men run.

It's turned out disastrously, with these IPs laboring under the massive weight of generations of storytelling, with rabid "fans" ready to skewer the creators at every missed step. To paraphrase Scott Kurtz, you can't even tell a damn Batman story anymore because that week he's supposed to be in a coma, so you get Stand In Batman instead, hope that's okay.

It's not that I don't want a coherent story, one that generally makes sense in its material points - I do! But more importantly, I want to be entertained. I want this developer to make the game they want to make, to express their vision. I want them to be like Hideki Kamiya and say "I do what I want," and "I trust my instincts."

If it's a pile of crap, then it's a pile of crap. I'll be headed for the door. But if it's great, if this particular game is internally consistent and compelling, then to hell with canon.

Edit: bottom of page. Probably for the best.

You've got some good points, but the issue for me is that ultimately you can't divorce canonicity from how good the work is, because the former impacts the latter. It all comes down to suspension of disbelief.

Vire

I dunno about that, the trolls have already said their peace about Halo 4 and have moved onto other sequels they have little interest in. So all that's left is people who are casually interested stopping in to say hello.

Of course it'll be friendlier.

Graphics don't hurt either...

It's the difference between a hastily produced announcement trailer and something shipping in the final game. Not a big deal imho

Hastily produced? The scale in the announcement trailer is similar to that of Halo 3.

Somewhere along the way that was thrown out the window.

Forward_into_dawn.jpg

(Remember it was severed in half)

TheOddOne

They did say they were considering patching in the option to actually play classic CTF but I still don't get why it isn't an option in the first place.

I thought Halo 4 was all about your gameplay experience. Then why am I not able to play the game how I want, even in customs?
You could say they dropped the flag on giving the player choices. Baffles me too why there is not even an option.

I can feel it. That feel of feels that you feel when only this is happening.

A new Halo is coming.

It's really weird for me, I want to be hyped but I'm not. I guess the reason is that nothing really exciting (for me) has been announced yet. For Reach, I was really hyped for the AA's, Arena, Invasion, map remakes, firefight customization options and the campaign (ost of those things were pretty disappointing in the end).

For Halo 4, the real big things that have been announced are the modifications, custom loadouts, CTF alteration, Spartan Ops, Infinity slayer, drop-in drop-out, and the Prometheans. The only things from that list that don't sound bad to me are campaign and SpOps and I still don't know enough about the latter to really get excited for it.

It's really weird for me, I want to be hyped but I'm not. I guess the reason is that nothing really exciting (for me) has been announced yet. For Reach, I was really hyped for the AA's, Arena, Invasion, map remakes, firefight customization options and the campaign (ost of those things were pretty disappointing in the end).

For Halo 4, the real big things that have been announced are the modifications, custom loadouts, CTF alteration, Spartan Ops, Infinity slayer, drop-in drop-out, and the Prometheans. The only things from that list that don't sound bad to me are campaign and SpOps and I still don't know enough about the latter to really get excited for it.

Prometheans don't sound good to you? What about Dominion? The new weapons? The new graphics? The new sound?

Vire

You're reading too much into it.

It's not the end of the world of course. But for a team that's meticulously and painstakingly accounted for nearly everything (Brail on Chief's armor reading 117). It seems like a weird oversight.

Prometheans don't sound good to you? What about Dominion? The new weapons? The new graphics? The new sound?

Meh, not that excited about the Prometheans, new maps look decent but I was reallt looking forward to play some of the Reach maps and I don't have that feeling for Halo 4. Don't really like the new sounds for most guns (from what we've heard in the videos). The graphics do look great but that's not really a thing that gets me hyped.

Dominion sounds good but I still can't get hyped for it. I guess it's a good thing cause this way, the game can only surprise me.

I dunno about that, the trolls have already said their peace about Halo 4 and have moved onto other sequels they have little interest in. So all that's left is people who are casually interested stopping in to say hello.

Of course it'll be friendlier.

Graphics don't hurt either...

Hastily produced? The scale in the announcement trailer is similar to that of Halo 3.

Somewhere along the way that was thrown out the window.

Forward_into_dawn.jpg

(Remember it was severed in half)

Nano bots rebuilt it.

Edit:
"nanobots"
Dang it.

TheOddOne

It's not the end of the world of course. But for a team that's meticulously and painstakingly accounted for nearly everything (Brail on Chief's armor reading 117). It seems like a weird oversight.
Would be weird if we played the teaser as the first level, that would be a short level. Teasers are teasers, there job is to hype. Nothing more, nothing less.

El_Chino

The space in the trailer appeared good for a cgi announcement trailer but not for an in-game play space.

zap

Wow, info overload. Awesome.

I specifically haven't been watching campaign videos on purpose, I want to go into it as clean as possible. I'm not sure how long I can hold out though.

I'm torn on MP, it looks like some mindless fun with the crazy weapons and abilities all over the place, but I don't usually go to Halo for mindless fun :/ I'm hoping Squad Slayer makes its glorius return at Halo 4 launch.

Part of me feels like this is a way of getting people to at least try the new CTF before having the chance to straight skip it for the classic experience from day 1. I have a feeling that a good amount of people will enjoy the new experience. Then when they can play classic CTF again they will miss some of the features of modern day CTF.

There's definitely some 343i wizardry going on, but it's not that much of a stretch. There's some funky textures on the edge of Requiem you probably wouldn't see in-game, and for all we know, depending on how they're handling the loading zones that could be one of the only playspaces that needed to be loaded at that point, which would give them a lot more leeway.

Top Bottom