• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Gui_PT

O Portugal!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True West strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Portugal, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

;)

iT3zO1n1qOL7C.gif

IHaveIce

Banned
Just wanted to say, that I completed the god damn achievment Endure, for the 3rd time.

Congratulations man, fine that you got it. Are you still missing Annual? Or did you also got it already ?

The Flood Spartans look creepy, but somehow they don't remind me really of the real Flood.

Talents

Banned
Jesus christ, HaloGAF is batting a thousand these days.

O Portugal!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True West strong and free!

From far and wide,

God keep our land glorious and free!

;)

I don't even know my countries national anthem...

CyReN

I'm really excited for the new flood mode, way back in 02'-03' there was this single player mod for H1 ,my friend had at his house through Action Replay/Gameshark thing for Xbox and you got to play as single player characters (Elite, Grunt, Flood). Granted it was really realy watered down but it's always fun to play as someone outside the MC/Spartan/ODST/Elite finally.

Akai__

It's Canada/Portugal's national anthem.

Not as funny if you have to explain it. :(

Congrats x 3.

Congratulations man, fine that you got it. Are you still missing Annual? Or did you also got it already ?

The Flood Spartans look creepy, but somehow they don't remind me really of the real Flood.

Thanks guys. :D It wasn't even that hard. I thought it was difficulter, but those 2 guys were pretty good. I sucked hard, with 22 deaths. :p

Yeah I got Annual, just have the Halo Wars acheivement left, for becomming a General. Thanks for asking ;)

I'm really excited for the new flood mode, way back in 02'-03' there was this single player mod for H1 ,my friend had at his house through Action Replay/Gameshark thing for Xbox and you got to play as single player characters (Elite, Grunt, Flood). Granted it was really realy watered down but it's always fun to play as someone outside the MC/Spartan/ODST/Elite finally.

You can get those kind of mods on Halo PC.

I remember loving some of the simpler mods on that game though - I remember getting a real kick out of a simple camera hack which allowed you to use all the vehicles turrets etc in first person. Was pretty awesome stuff.

EDIT: I remember those 'mods' being so easy to use, like you just ran the mod application in the background while you played the game. Thinking back how the hell did that even work?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I still don't get how it is offensive. I mean, it's not like he's taking the piss out of them for having the disease. That would be offensive, but comparing a new player to an autisic child, I see no offense in that.

An autistic child has a condition that can severely impact their quality of life and provide tremdous expense, emotional fatigue and massive, massive practical problems for the parents. A new player is a person playing a game for the first time who ispesumably seen as a naive idiot in the comparison. You could see how a family might find that offensive, no? Anyway he apologized and we all moved on.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't even know my countries national anthem...

I have two. One is lame and the other is unofficial. You decide.

1. O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen.
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's army,
And sent him homeward
To think again.
2. The hills are bare now,
And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now,
Which those so dearly held
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
To think again.
3. Those days are past now
And in the past they must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again!
That stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
To think again.
4. O Flower of Scotland,
That fought and died for
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's army,
And sent him homeward
To think again.

Alternative

Hark when the night is falling,
Hear! Hear the pipes are calling,
Loudly and proudly calling down through the glen.
There where the hills are sleeping,
now feel the blood a-leaping,
High as the spirits of the old highland men.
Towering in gallant frame,
Scotland my mountain hame
High may your proud standards gloriously wave.
Land of my high endeavour,
land of the shining river,
Land of my heart forever,
Scotland the Brave.

High in the misty highlands,
out by the purple islands,
Brave are the hearts that beat beneath Scottish skies.
Wild are the winds to meet you,
staunch are the friends that greet you,
Kind as the love that shines from fair maiden's eyes.
Scotland the Brave.

Far off in sunlit places,
sad are the Scottish faces,
Yearning to feel the kiss of sweet Scottish rain.
Where tropics skies are beaming,
love sets the heart a-dreaming,
Longing and dreaming of the homeland again.
Scotland the Brave.

Talents

Banned
I have two. One is lame and the other is unofficial. You decide.

1. O Flower of Scotland,
That fought and died for
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's army,
And sent him homeward
To think again.
2. The hills are bare now,
And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now,
Which those so dearly held
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
To think again.
3. Those days are past now
And in the past they must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again!
That stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
To think again.
4. O Flower of Scotland,
That fought and died for
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's army,
And sent him homeward
To think again.

Alternative

Hark when the night is falling,
Hear! Hear the pipes are calling,
Loudly and proudly calling down through the glen.
There where the hills are sleeping,
now feel the blood a-leaping,
High as the spirits of the old highland men.
Scotland the Brave.

High in the misty highlands,
out by the purple islands,
Brave are the hearts that beat beneath Scottish skies.
Wild are the winds to meet you,
staunch are the friends that greet you,
Kind as the love that shines from fair maiden's eyes.
Scotland the Brave.

Far off in sunlit places,
sad are the Scottish faces,
Yearning to feel the kiss of sweet Scottish rain.
Where tropics skies are beaming,
love sets the heart a-dreaming,
Longing and dreaming of the homeland again.
Scotland the Brave.

I like the second one better.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't understand how people don't know their national anthems. Is it because a lot of HaloGAF is young? Or are other countries just less patriotic/nationalistic or both? I wouldn't think it would be the patriotic/nationalistic thing given how nuts people go over their country's soccer teams.

(This isn't trolling, I'm genuinely curious).

Then again, I bet a lot of American's don't know the entire anthem either. I guess it just means more to me with my military background and all.

One hope I have for the Halo 4 campaign is, Button lag please be gone in co-op. i've dealt with you for far too long.

That's not "button lag" it's lag period.

Talents

Banned
What would you guys say was the best order to read the Halo books? I recently purchased and read 'Halo- The Fall of Reach' without knowing how good it was/if it was the first book. Anyway, what one would you recommend getting next?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I don't understand how people don't know their national anthems. Is it because a lot of HaloGAF is young? Or are other countries just less patriotic/nationalistic or both? I wouldn't think it would be the patriotic/nationalistic thing given how nuts people go over their country's soccer teams.

Nationalistic pride is both stupid and outdated.

What would you guys say was the best order to read the Halo books? I recently purchased and read 'Halo- The Fall of Reach' without knowing how good it was/if it was the first book. Anyway, what one would you recommend getting next?

The Flood is chronologically next, it's basically CE in book form with a few interesting tidbits. After that, First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx.

aljfoiihconwnhoowhohtuu *banging head on keyboard*

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

yeah, me too. just the visual change alone will make it more appealing to me, but i'm actually curious to see what changes and improvements to the actual mode have been made. i imagine its safe to say they have put their own spin on the ol' infection.

I actually decided to re-read the Halsey Journal as I had only really read it once, and probably skimmed it due to Reach being so new.

The quality of it still astounds me.

I actually dont remember any other Halo book coming close to the Fall of Reach though. :( I remember enjoying Ghosts of Onyx a lot, but you might want to read First Strike before you read that - which was ok but not so great.

mhi

Or have them turn the Halo 2 servers back on.

Honestly I would rather they did this than concoct another Anniversary. Just for a month or two.

And then I realize the latter would produce profit while the former would just be an expenditure and I lose hope.

Also Foundation remake pls.

Talents

Banned

(This isn't trolling, I'm genuinely curious).

The US is probably the most patriotic country in the world... I mean, you sing your national anthem when you're in school everyday (that's correct, right?) where as in England we next to never hear it. I can't actually recall ever really hearing it.

I actually decided to re-read the Halsey Journal as I had only really read it once, and probably skimmed it due to Reach being so new.

The quality of it still astounds me.

I actually dont remember any other Halo book coming close to the Fall of Reach though. :( I remember enjoying Ghosts of Onyx a lot, but you might want to read First Strike before you read that - which was ok but not so great.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Nationalism or Patriotism should never disable the mind. Unfortunately it does in the most cases. So I'd agree with Slightly Live.

Flood Infection embargo is up but there seems to be no videos about it.
There is even no news about it on big video game sites. Curious. Curious indeed.

Tawpgun

My home countries national anthem is very reflective of their military history over time. Translated obviously so it sounds awk.

Poland has not yet perished,
So long as we still live.
What the alien force has taken from us,
We shall retrieve with a sabre.

March, march, Dąbrowski,
From the Italian land to Poland.
Under your command
We shall rejoin the nation.

We'll cross the Vistula and the Warta,
We shall be Polish.
Bonaparte has given us the example
Of how we should prevail.

March, march...

Like Czarniecki to Poznań
After the Swedish occupation,
To save our homeland,
We shall return across the sea.

March, march...

A father, in tears,
Says to his Basia
Listen, our boys are said
To be beating the tarabans.

March, march.

And the American National Anthem is to the tune of an English drinking song. But its awesome.

welp, I'm done with hookups for a while, it always seems like a good idea until it happens. fun fact: giving someone a facial is the weirdest fucking feeling ever, and not in a good way

ivemadeahugemistake.jpg

In halo-related news, I have to be honest when I say I like 343's approach to game types. In a past game it probably wouldn't work, but let me put it this way: say Bungie is a steakhouse. They started off strong, but later into their life the steaks ended up being pretty fatty and undercooked compared to their old ones. 343's are less fatty, but have more real, enjoyable sustenance, even if it may not be using some of that special seasoning Bungie did and there can be too much detail in 343's secret sauce sometimes.

I loved First Strike. Pretty much every book written by Nylund was superb.
The US is probably the most patriotic country in the world... I mean, you sing your national anthem when you're in school everyday (that's correct, right?) where as in England we next to never hear it. I can't actually recall ever really hearing it.

Most schools unfortunately have stopped singing it, replacing either with a different song or just a moment of silence that nobody pays attention to. It's depressing.

Different topic- about to head down to the stadium! Go Carolina, beat Missouri!

They did, but those were crazy little space dude proportions, not at all like a generic cartoon representation of a human.

...with firm little buttocks.

I just don't like the new Grunt limbs, they looked much better when they were "arthropod" in nature. The feet rather than stumps just doesn't look right.

If you ask me the medals still look pretty bad.

xoGoR.png

6 of the 8 shown here are grey, white and blue and from the videos (mostly the UNSC weapon trailer) it seems like a lot of the other medals also have the same color scheme. Medals should be easily distinguishable from each other and this is achieved the easiest having more varying colors. I'm pretty sure even multi-kills all have the same color and the only difference is that there's more stars the higher the multiplier is. What happened to double being yellow, triple being blue, overkill being orange, etc.? You could see what you got in a quick glance which is what was so great about it.
Eh, I like the cool blue of the medals, they look sleek as hell IMO.. However, it is weird how some seem to only be shades of grey and blue, and then others have reds.. It should either be most of some other colors or they all stay sleeker looking. It looks mismatched a bit.

Flood Infection embargo is up but there seems to be no videos about it.

Yeah, something tells me the embargo was just the magazine street date. Maybe we can get some new pics from other subscribers though..

welp, I'm done with hookups for a while, it always seems like a good idea until it happens. fun fact: giving someone a facial is the weirdest fucking feeling ever, and not in a good way

ivemadeahugemistake.jpg

:lol :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Even as an American I agree with you.

I disagree, nationalistic pride like any kind of pride is fine. It becomes an issue when it's taken too far, like anything else.

The "all or nothing" mentality is stupid and short sighted IMO. But I guess the sentiment you two are displaying is "hip" these days.

HINT: Spain's anthem has no lyrics, it's just music ;)

Really? That's pretty interesting. I wonder why.

No, that's not true. What USED to be done was the pledge of allegiance, but I believe that's gone these days along with praying in class. (I grew up doing both and for reference I was born in 1980)

Yeah man. Fuck the pigs. Fight the power. Don't be sheep. Vote Ron Paul.

*opens fresh bag of Cheetos*

Sometimes I love you so much it hurts.

Top Bottom