• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

I think I know what you mean. In the past, Steizer has been used almost exclusively for 1-2 word announcements (Double Kill!). With Halo 4 there are full phrases to get out ("King Still Leading") but since there are even more medals announced now than before, they are rushed phrases to get everything in. As a result he's talking much, much more than before, and faster.

Too much notifications for him now. I wonder what they were thinking

So did the dinosaurs.

no
Chicken1.jpg

"King still leading"

Well no shit, thats why hes called the king, right?

Final thoughts/summary on the flood of information that came out last Friday.

• While it has been known for a while, but the inclusion of duel firing modes on the Prometheans weapons sounds great and a welcome inclusion to the sandbox as a whole.
  • Great to hear that the game is challenging even on normal, according to Arthur Gies.
  • The justification for the change in Chiefs armor should have never been a big deal,
    finding out that it was just a Firmware update done by Cortana kind of makes me laugh
  • So the recap of previous games is tucked under a terminal you can’t miss after waking up, cool. Don’t like the sound of terminals being locked and viewable only (?) via Waypoint, though.
  • “But the interesting thing is that a lot of peoples' favorite moments from Halo games are the sort of noir-ish plot elements from ODST, or the politics of Halo 2. We wanted to make sure that those fans are getting lots and lots of meat out of this experience. So what we did is move that stuff out of the mainline game and into the fiction that is scattered throughout the game. Some of it's in the skyboxes, some of its in the terminals. But the complicated, super deep canon is in the game, and just moved to different places now, and to appropriate places for that audience.”- Frank, Verge interview.
  • Don’t like the inclusion of non-QTE scripted events (Which are said to be sprinkled here and there during the campaign), very few games do it right. Even those who do it right often just limit the replayability of the game. Feels wrong that it’s even in a Halo game.
  • The Covenant and Prometheans fighting each other should bring some interesting dynamic to the game. Hearing you can sneak past them, fight with a faction or just watch them tear themselves apart sounds pretty trilling.
  • So next to flying sentinels that you can spawn, there are also fixed-to-the-wall sentinels. Interestingly, they have not been named.
  • “Q: Prometheans equal Forerunner or does it go deeper than that? A: It goes deeper than that. You’re effectively fighting Forerunner Warriors”- Frank, Giantbomb interview. Interesting answer, especially seeing Frank sweat it a little during that segment. Maybe it’s my fascination with the Forerunner that makes me question everything.
  • “We’re not going to eliminate the idea that you can have a cliffhanger thought or premise in a story, because those are actually useful or satisfying. [..] It’s just done one battle in a bigger war. We will definitively use that tact in the end of Halo 4. ”- Frank, IGN interview.
  • “Maybe on the next [Spartan Ops] episode that artifact is on the UNSC Infinity and something happens with it.”- Kiki, Gametrailers interview. I wonder if we will get to run around the ship itself.
  • “Forward Unto Dawn’s John Sullivan shows up in Halo 4 and along with some other characters, and he is kind of hacker, social networking guy, and he has found some strange tapes while going through the UNSC archives.”- Frank, Machinima interview. Interesting side-story.
  • A mech playable, named Mantis, confirmed to be in the game. So far only a single player vehicle. I like mechs, sorry Gundams, and want to Power Ranger all day.
  • They changed the Legendary icon, which now looks like a dead Forerunner. Seeing as they are new big baddies, it’s understandable that they changed it – still I wish it didn’t look like clipart.
  • Newly introduced multiplayer map Solance really does remind me of Halo 3’s Narrows. I’m not sure if that is a good or bad thing, but from the videos we’ve seen the look of the level is awesome.
  • The new multiplayer mode Dominion looks interesting, but a bit too hectic from what I have seen. It’s interesting to hear that once a point is secured it will resupply, which can give the structure turrets, shield doors and even vehicles. Those fortification will stay even when the other team takes the base over. Interesting dynamic.
  • Killcams and final killcam, sorry Sitrec Replay, are now in Halo. So far we know it’s only restricted to certain modes. Don’t mind this at all, one of the better things that has been copied.
  • Zombies, now renamed Flood will gets its own mode. 2 against 10 flood infected. Sounds cool, look forward to how it's executed.
  • “There will be classic playlists where those loadouts are restricted.” –Frank, Gamespot interview.
  • No word on any ranking system, then again this blowout seems to be focused on SP.
Phew, I know I missed some things.

Good write up, I had missed the Machinima interview.. Thanks for posting.

Noricart

TBH I don't know why there are so many Steizerisms* if:
1. There is a medal for everything
2. Phrases like "King Still Leading!" are glaringly obvious to a player, but perhaps I'm holding the intelligence of the general populace in too high of a regard.
2a. If there isn't a secondary weapon indicator because of loadouts, why can't we let players interpret medals using the Post Game Report that EXPLAINS EVERY MEDAL WHEN YOU HIGHLIGHT IT. That seems more sensible than having Steizer say a bunch of obvious crap.
2b. Waypoints. Over. People's. Heads. Situational awareness people.**

Then again, I play FFA Oddball matches where people fight each other instead of jumping the guy with the oddball chillin in the bubble shield.

The king announcements seem to serve a similar purpose as the CTF announcements - to constantly jostle the memory of participants. I enjoy KotH and rarely lose, and I can tell you right now, there's been quite a few wins where you can see people just end up getting mad at each other and playing slayer, and they forget it's KotH until the announcer reminds them I'm 30 points away from winning.

Hopefully they can adjust the announcements post-ship with Megalo, much like Bungie could with Reach (I'm pretty sure Megalo controls the announcer for most things in Reach) if they feel they overdid it.
I can tell that's the impetus behind the announcements; see the edit above. It just seems a bit too redundant, comparable to MW2 levels of UI overload, but at least in Halo 4 it seems more conducive to gameplay.

*[tm]
**Lists not labeled properly

FyreWulff

The king announcements seem to serve a similar purpose as the CTF announcements - to constantly jostle the memory of participants. I enjoy KotH and rarely lose, and I can tell you right now, there's been quite a few wins where you can see people just end up getting mad at each other and playing slayer, and they forget it's KotH until the announcer reminds them I'm 30 points away from winning.

Hopefully they can adjust the announcements post-ship with Megalo, much like Bungie could with Reach (I'm pretty sure Megalo controls the announcer for most things in Reach) if they feel they overdid it.

TBH I don't know why there are so many Steizerisms if:
1. There is a medal for everything
2. Phrases like "King Still Leading!" are glaringly obvious to a player, but perhaps I'm holding the intelligence of the general populace in too high of a regard.
2a. If there isn't a secondary weapon indicator because of loadouts, why can't we let players interpret medals using the Post Game Report that EXPLAINS EVERY MEDAL WHEN YOU HIGHLIGHT IT. That seems more sensible than having Steizer say a bunch of obvious crap.
2b. Waypoints. Over. People's. Heads. Situational awareness people.

Then again, I play FFA Oddball matches where people fight each other instead of jumping the guy with the oddball chillin in the bubble shield.

COD mimicks but 343 overdoit

The King announcements that people are referring to are in Regicide.

Although I assume that all objective gametypes have roughly the same level of feedback from the HUD and announcer telling you to not lose so badly.

Those people are either stupid or douche bags and either way an annoying announcer isnt going to help

FyreWulff

The King announcements that people are referring to are in Regicide.

Although I assume that all objective gametypes have roughly the same level of feedback from the HUD and announcer telling you to not lose so badly.

Oh.

I also hope they don't leave Regicide/Juggernaut to wither on the vine like Reach's version. It's seriously the only gametype that never got any updates.

No matter. The Flak Cannon is so fucking awesome weapon!
I think my friends hate me in UT(2k4), if i got that weapon, i owned them totally. Though i tended to do that anyway.
Getting richochet kill is cool.

Flak Cannon was my jam, for sure. Mostly with the Alt-Fire, though!

GhaleonEB

There does seem to be an effort to reinforce the way way the game should be played to players. Telling you you're the flag carrier, telling you to defend your flag, telling you to kill the enemy flag carrier. Announcing that the King is worth lots of points (hey guys - big moving point bucket THAT WAY), and so on. I think that's an okay direction to take things. However, when combined with a much larger share of medals getting announced, it leads to much more constant chatter.

I think going the route of using longer phrases will be detrimental. Example: Regicide, when the King is killed. Bungie would have stuck with, "New King!". 343 uses, "We've got a new king!" It's a phrase over twice as long, and it's going to be heard many, many times over the course of most games of Regicide. Since players converge on the King, the new King is likely to be near other players, who often promptly kill the new King. So we get "We've got a new king!" several times in a row...along with all the other chatter being announced. It will lead to audio clutter. Keeping the phrases more succinct as they used to be would have helped offset the new volume. But we have both longer announced phrases, and more of them.

I honestly never made the connection between Juggernaut and Regicide until people here brought it up. The core objective of the game is similar though, but it plays nothing like Juggernaut.

Its just the next step in coddling the casual gamer to make them feel great about mediocrity. Adapt dude.

"Youre in the hill, good for you!"

I'll say it again: 343 made Steitzer do coke for Halo 4's announcements. He sounds more and more amped the higher your multikills and he starts jonesing when you do bad. On Killionaires and Perfections you can hear him foaming at the mouth and flipping over his desk before he has to be tranq'd.

darthbob

I'll say it again: 343 made Steitzer do coke for Halo 4's announcements. He sounds more and more amped the higher your multikills and he starts jonesing when you do bad. On Killionaires and Perfections you can hear him foaming at the mouth and flipping over his desk before he has to be tranq'd.

The mental image is hilarious.

BravoHalo

Yup and yup. It corrects the problem with Juggernaut, which is it's only fun when you're the Juggernaut. They took the same concept and made it fun for everyone.

Agreed - I actually enjoy playing it and it creates an "oh shit" feeling instead of a "god-mode" feeling. It's a refreshing spin, I don't know if I agree with the Kingtacular overshield - having a time based (I believe it's time based) overshield is an interesting decision.

Also, I took a stab at a Longbow Dominion opening strategy analysis, and used some new graphics and on-screen drawing tools, looking to do this type of thing more in the future - i hadn't seen it on the boards today - http://youtu.be/qeaPe3ocPNw -

didn't have too much to work with, but I'm optimistic about the gametype, even if it is specifically reserved for large team sizes.

Ramirez

You joke, but you know there will probably be a text and announcer alert when you step into the hill in King.

You mean like..."Hill Controlled"?

I mean really, I've played games of KotH in 3/Reach that are a constant stream of Hill Controlled/Hill Contested/etc./etc./etc.

Such a non issue.

GhaleonEB

Agreed - I actually enjoy playing it and it creates an "oh shit" feeling instead of a "god-mode" feeling. It's a refreshing spin, I don't know if I agree with the Kingtacular overshield - having a time based (I believe it's time based) overshield is an interesting decision.
Yeah, they took the pros and cons of being the king and kind of inverted them. It's not an instant benefit, but everyone is still after you - so there's the initial rush of adrenaline as you fight to stay alive.

It also makes it possible to have alternate strategies. With Juggernaut the only way you can win is to kill the Juggernaut, become the next one, and rack up kills. But with seven people going after the Juggernaut, that means most games some people never got to participate in the "fun part" of the mode.

With Regicide, you can win the game without actually ever being King. Having a target that players are focused on creates a dynamic where they're also distracted, and you can rack up a lot of kills staying at the back of the pack and working on everyone else. Coupled with the much faster rotation from King to King (and the instant reward of landing a King kill) means that everyone gets to score, everyone has a shot at winning, and there are multiple paths to victory.

Also, I took a stab at a Longbow Dominion opening strategy analysis, and used some new graphics and on-screen drawing tools, looking to do this type of thing more in the future - i hadn't seen it on the boards today - http://youtu.be/qeaPe3ocPNw -

didn't have too much to work with, but I'm optimistic about the gametype, even if it is specifically reserved for large team sizes.
Will watch after dinner, your videos are always worth watching.

You mean like..."Hill Controlled"?

I mean really, I've played games of KotH in 3/Reach that are a constant stream of Hill Controlled/Hill Contested/etc./etc./etc.

Such a non issue.

Wow, it's such a non issue that I forgot those announcements existed.

I was just making a point, I agree with you that this stuff is a non issue. Is it unnecessary? Yeah probably, but it doesn't impede my ability to enjoy the game.

m23

We saw Team Slayer at E3, but since then we've only seen Infinity Slayer. I liked Team Slayer more mainly because of the lack of personal ordnance, I really hope that's still in.

DeadNames

Banned
We saw Team Slayer at E3, but since then we've only seen Infinity Slayer. I liked Team Slayer more mainly because of the lack of personal ordnance, I really hope that's still in.

Me too. I hate the idea of personal ordnance, to be honest. I don't really like the idea of random drops either. We have all these cool power weapons and then they all just lose significance because everyone will be getting them left and right.

Ramirez

Wow, it's such a non issue that I forgot those announcements existed.

I was just making a point, I agree with you that this stuff is a non issue. Is it unnecessary? Yeah probably, but it doesn't impede my ability to enjoy the game.

I wasn't attacking you, if it came off that way.

I'm actually OK with Infinity Slayer in regular random MM where we dump on kids 90% of the time. Ordnance just means the rich gets richer!

I really hope teams actually get matched up by skill this time. Infinity slayer is going to suck for shitty teams if it's similar to Reach's system.

Well Frankie did say there was going to be a skill based ranking system, and they weren't using Reach's...

Yea I know. I'm sure Bungie said something about how good matchmaking would be in Reach too. Matchmaking and the whole online experience as a whole just makes nervous in general.

Top Bottom