• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Tawpgun

Wait, DMR now has 14 shots?

HAHAHA WHAT?

The hell is going on. Is there some perk that justifies this?

Halo what are you doing.

It's so you can get 2 kills, then use the last 4 bullets to shoot the dead bodies and teabag without having to reload. There's also a new perk let's you teabag faster.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/60903/hal...eo/?quality=hd

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/60900/hal...eplay-preview/

Haven't seen these posted yet. First one has some nice DMR and Carbine gameplay.

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but the Personal Ordnance pop-up has gotten smaller(?) and placed higher. We just need an option to disable the center text now :p

snQJ3.png

David or Frankie, will we be able to push the weapon and objective indicators further out? Closer to the edges of the screen?

Thats fine, but then why nerf the BR :(

It'll be interesting to see how kill times are in Halo 4. It seems to be a growing trend that every Halo game individual lethality goes down.

This is definitely going to be the first Halo game that's better than the last.

Woorloog

Banned
Are the Fall of Reach comics any good? Since it seems all of them have been finally released, i was thinking that maybe i could get hardcover versions of them at some point.
Never liked the ODST one or Uprising, i saw them in a bookstore, checked them and decided not to buy.

Ramirez

It'll be interesting to see how kill times are in Halo 4. It seems to be a growing trend that every Halo game individual lethality goes down.

I don't know, in every video I've watched, it's almost like people die too quickly sometimes. I really don't think it will be a problem. Removing bloom will automatically speed the game & kill times up.

From what I can tell, no rifle has more than 2 kills per clip, with the exception of the light rifle when scoped:

-DMR: 14 rounds, 5 shots to kill
-BR: 36 rounds, 15 shots (5 bursts) to kill
-Light rifle unscoped: 36 rounds, 15 shots (5 bursts) to kill
-Light rifle scoped: 12 rounds, 4 shots to kill
-Carbine: 18 rounds, 7/8 shots to kill

I guess the light rifle has a risk reward to it. It has a the fastest kill time when scoped but the error margin when unscoped is much smaller since you can only miss 2 burst if you want to get 2 kills out of one clip.

I think the light rifle is designed to be ever so slightly slower to kill than a perfect DMR at range and ever so slightly slower to kill than a perfect BR up close, but it competes with both, and offers you the flexibility of either.

Isn't the carbine the fastest to kill, provided you land every last shot?

Fuchsdh

Fixed* and tis a damn shame indeed ;'[

I was hoping Bungie's last hurrah with Halo would've ended on such a high note showcasing Spartan II's in battles that expanded across Reach!
w/ a real MC cameo

-EDIT-

Well I'll be damned.. An extremely well-written article about Halo 4 on IGN? Yes.

lol

Exactly why there's a KILL waypoint in CTF now.

I would say well-reasoned, but not well-written. There were some glaring grammar mistakes and some misuse of phrases. Sucks that the first place these companies cut is line editors. AV club is horrible about that.

I don't really get any real satisfaction from knowing the canonical explanation for a different BR skin, jackal or Master Chief armour. As long as the gameplay beneath them is Metroid, they are making an awesome game.
Fixed
Wait, DMR now has 14 shots?

HAHAHA WHAT?

The hell is going on. Is there some perk that justifies this?

Halo what are you doing.
I specifically remember telling you this several times lol.

There are no weapons with 3 kills per clip in Halo 4 (perhaps with the exception of a scoped Light rifle).

It's obviously a conscious design decision, even if it's one I disagree with. I assume it's largely to force players to be use a second weapon and encourage increase weapon usage diversity.

The weapon sandbox across the board is significantly more powerful than the past couple of Halo games.

Hey Overdoziz - I love Reach's multiplayer. It's a much more tactical game than mainline Halo's, thanks in part to the super detailed radar. You can see enemies and tell whether they're above or below you on the map, which means, if you know the map well enough, you can figure out their exact position.

The fact you have less bullets per clip and bloom adds to the tactics, (the person who uses dexterity should have the advantage) I am glad bullets per clip is down but sad bloom is gone.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
SPECIAL NOTE: I hadn't heard a good feed of the weapons and these videos deliver the goods. I've heard the DMR in a dozen other videos, but in this one it sounds fantastic.

Dicksterity?

the dmr sounds INSANE. i really need to set aside some money for some nice headphones by the time 4 comes out or my wife will kill me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If I land 2 scope in light rifle shots will it then take 2 or 3 unscoped light rifle shots to get the kill? I'm guessing 3?

Woorloog

Banned
If I land 2 scope in light rifle shots will it then take 2 or 3 unscoped light rifle shots to get the kill? I'm guessing 3?

Hmm. Interesting question. I assume you assume no other damage than what the Lightrifle caused?
Related, i wonder how fast is the burst from the Lightrifle, ie how common it is to score a partial hit.
I reckon it will take 2.5 shots in burst mode, which would translate to 3 in practice...

nillapuddin

Sometimes I really wish with Halo we got static damage numbers

Shield = 100 HP
Health = 50 HP

Weapon X does 30 Damage per shot, etc

Shield = 100 HP
Health = 50 HP

If we actually got those numbers, far more people would be using only a limited set of weapons due to cold hard stats instead of actual application and devs obviously want people to use the sandbox in its entirety.

BRAVO RESUPPLIED

BASE CAPTURE INITIATED

Both sound like pretty helpful audio cues that most likely won't get in the way once you actually play the game for a little. Same goes for everything else!

-shots fired-

Shield = 100 HP
Health = 50 HP

Someone called Den Kirson does this kind of thing every year for Call of Duty which is insane, I dont know how he has the patience for it. Manually figuring all that stuff out must be so long winded.

Would be nice if devs threw that info out there, but to an extent I can see why they wouldnt.

Woorloog

Banned

Shield = 100 HP
Health = 50 HP

We actually got some numbers for Halo 3 (70 shield, 40 health, BR does 18 dmg per burst (6 per bullet), AR does 7.5 damager per bullet, and some people calculated the rest based on these).
But otherwise, we've never gotten these numbers.
I wish we would, i like considering the numbers. Interesting stuff.

Are the Fall of Reach comics any good? Since it seems all of them have been finally released, i was thinking that maybe i could get hardover versions of them at some point.
Never liked the ODST one or Uprising, i saw them in a bookstore, checked them and decided not to buy.
I like them, for what it's worth. Basically sections of the novel chopped off and given a few extra lines, and with a few things clarified.
the dmr sounds INSANE.

Since the weapon sounds in H4 are basically real weapon sounds modified, I am willing to bet that the DMR sounds are taken straight from the FN FAL with minimum modification. They sound so, so similar.

Woorloog

Banned
I like them, for what it's worth. Basically sections of the novel chopped off and given a few extra lines, and with a few things clarified.

Since the weapon sounds in H4 are basically real weapon sounds modified, I am willing to bet that the DMR sounds are taken straight from the FN FAL with minimum modification. They sound so, so similar.

Hmm. What about the art, is it good? It looked okay from Halopedia pics.

Interesting. Wonder where they based the alien weapons.

heckfu

Banned
I'll relent that "King still leading" is a bit silly, but I think his voice is a whole lot more exuberant and excitable. Kind of a rush in close games.

Those CoD sheets are amazing. 343 should do some of those sheets, would remove a lot of this confusion, well when they have the numbers set that is. They could still be tweaking them who knows.

Tawpgun

We should have SLRP Sundays and Downer Mondays.

Where we slurp hard and be obnoxiously positive on Sunday and then be super annoyed and negative about everything on Monday.

Hmm. What about the art, is it good? It looked okay from Halopedia pics.

Interesting. Wonder where they based the alien weapons.

The art quality varies depending on what is depicted. For the most part, it's decent, but there are sections when it's depicting faces at close range when it devolves pretty seriously.

Judging from what we've heard of the alien weapons so far, they simply took real weapon sounds and slapped electronica overtones on them. Seriously.

Woorloog

Banned
The art quality varies depending on what is depicted. For the most part, it's decent, but there are sections when it's depicting faces at close range when it devolves pretty seriously.

Judging from what we've heard of the alien weapons so far, they simply took real weapon sounds and slapped electronica overtones on them. Seriously.

Ok, thanks.

/Facepalm. That's what i feared. The Covie plasma weapons don't sound like energy weapons anymore. And the Beam Rifle... well, i can't think of a word to describe how lame it sounds.

Shadders

Are the Fall of Reach comics any good? Since it seems all of them have been finally released, i was thinking that maybe i could get hardover versions of them at some point.

Laughed far too much at that. I'm such a child.

I enjoyed the FOR comics, but it's not as if it's a new story, if you like comic art then they're worth getting as there's some great imagery. Bloodlines was probably my favourite story Marvel have done though.

We should have SLRP Sundays and Downer Mondays.

Thats the worst idea I have ever heard, why would you want to do that? Whats the point?

Where we slurp hard and be obnoxiously positive on Sunday and then be super annoyed and negative about everything on Monday.

Sounds pretty good, I shotgun complaining about sub-pixels.

What are CoD sheets?

Someone called Den Kirkson has done in depth analysis on all the CoD weapons and put out data sheets showing all the maths. You can see the reload times, killtimes, animations etc for all guns on them - they are amazing. I dont play CoD competitively so have never really bothered with them, but the amount of data he has gathered is staggering, really shocked he has the patience for it.

Apparently he has also done it for Battlefield. Hopefully he does it for Halo 4.

GhaleonEB

I'll relent that "King still leading" is a bit silly, but I think his voice is a whole lot more exuberant and excitable. Kind of a rush in close games.

In the Regicide game I was playing, it was pretty constant. And essentially kept telling me how badly I was losing.

"King leading!"

"King still leading!"

"King is leading by lots now."

"The King is kicking your ass!"

"You're losing! Badly! King STILL winning."

I know! Stop yelling at me!

I feel like Steizer is moving from being just an announcer toward a commentator with Halo 4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard a few people describe the new Steitzer as more energetic, but I'm not hearing it. He sounds nervous and rushed to me. Sometimes it sounds like he's blurting out the words as fast as possible. I don't know how to describe it, but I really don't like it. When we first heard the new announcements I though they had to be placeholder. They're so bad I didn't even think they were Steitzer. I thought it was some random 343 employee or something.

But in the long run, I'll learn to either tolerate them, ignore them, or like them.

CyReN

In the Regicide game I was playing, it was pretty constant. And essentially kept telling me how badly I was losing.

"King leading!"

"King still leading!"

I feel like Steizer is moving from being just an announcer toward a commentator with Halo 4.

I was expecting this in it.

----
Tashi check PM.

GhaleonEB

I've heard a few people describe the new Steitzer as more energetic, but I'm not hearing it. He sounds nervous and rushed to me. Sometimes it sounds like he's blurting out the words as fast as possible. I don't know how to describe. But I really don't like it. When we first heard the new announcements I though they had to be placeholder. They're so bad I didn't even think they were Steitzer. I thought it was some random 343 employee or something.

But in the long run, I'll learn to either tolerate them, ignore them, or like them.

I think I know what you mean. In the past, Steizer has been used almost exclusively for 1-2 word announcements (Double Kill!). With Halo 4 there are full phrases to get out ("King Still Leading") but since there are even more medals announced now than before, they are rushed phrases to get everything in. As a result he's talking much, much more than before, and faster.

Woorloog

Banned
Laughed far too much at that. I'm such a child.

I enjoyed the FOR comics, but it's not as if it's a new story, if you like comic art then they're worth getting as there's some great imagery. Bloodlines was probably my favourite story Marvel have done though.

lol. I wrote that, then i swear i fixed it and apparently typed it back in. Not freudian or anything, just a honest typo. I'm still not quite used to this laptop's keyboard. Letter spacing being a bit too wide for my muscle memory.

I guess i'll place an order for the Art of Halo 4 and the comics and maybe something else someday.
Money burning away...

I think I know what you mean. In the past, Steizer has been used almost exclusively for 1-2 word announcements (Double Kill!). With Halo 4 there are full phrases to get out ("King Still Leading") but since there are even more medals announced now than before, they are rushed phrases to get everything in. As a result he's talking much, much more than before, and faster.
Pretty sure it'll be toggleable.

lol no

heckfu

Banned

"King leading!"

"King still leading!"

Haha I remember that feeling well. But when he yells "we've got a new king!" I get a little tingly.

nillapuddin

I am really big into numbers, it really interests me
(you can imagine im a sucker for rpg's)

I really hope they do make those sort of numbers available post-launch

and it would be great for comparisons if/when the first patch/title update comes out

(ex: suppressor damage increased by 2 points per projectile)

Fuchsdh

There's also the matter of him sounding like he's underwater which I hope is just bad web video compression.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the frequency and length of his lines both contribute to it sounding weird. The best example, as many have pointed out, is the "Enemy Team Scored" line in CTF. Most of his other lines aren't as bad as that one, but I think it's a good example of how awkward and rushed he sometimes sounds now. Even the classic lines just sound wrong. He sounds like he's sneering at me when he yells Double Kill now, not like he's putting an exclamation point on my bad assery.

But again, ask me how I feel on November 16th, and I probably won't care about it.

Top Bottom