• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

so...why are jetpacks in? camo? regen field? Why does the BR have spread again, and now recoil? Why do the DMR and Pistol have bloom again? Why are weapons going to randomly drop from the sky instead of respawn on the map like they used to? Why is there a perk that lets me deal more damage with my grenades, sprint forever, and reload my gun 75% faster than normal? Why does the banshee still have the banshee bomb? Why can't I drop the flag in custom games?

I completely respect 343 for doing their vision of halo, but that doesn't mean I understand it. And while I've disagreed with alot of the changes so far I'm not going to lie and say "OMg 343 u lost my buy!!" because I will buy it, I'm just skeptical.

I'm fine with people being skeptical, but a certain mopey attitude really shits up these threads sometimes I think, and it ends up spreading like a virus until we're fed again, ad infinitum. It just gets old.

Jetpacks coming back? I don't know, the concept is cool, if they can be smarter about the level design it could work. We haven't seen much jetpack footage so maybe they nerfed it in some way. I never feel like people with camo had much of an edge before, so let people use it if they want to feel cool and stealthy. Regen field, same thing, its sorta useful but not enough to ruin any balance. Just throw a grenade at it and it'll hurt everyone gathered around; action vs. reaction makes for interesting gameplay. BR had spread in Halo 3 and it was great to me...and maybe they wanted to balance it with the DMR. DMR seems to have less bloom, but I thought it worked fine in Reach, I just don't think it was a replacement for the BR. The perks exist so you can choose your play-style. I forget who it was, I believe it was Ghaleon, but he said that he felt like it was unfair for the other players because he thought he was choosing the best perk. The thing is, thats how everyone will feel because you get the option of choosing. Its not unfair because you get to choose which perk is the best for your play-style. I left out the weapon spawn question because I honestly don't know, and I've had this argument before and people slaughtered me for it.

IHaveIce

Banned
Er, no, it should be a vision of what the player wants to play since multiplayer games live and die by their population. That means keeping an active eye on the community and catering to specific subsets while also providing a great experience for the casual player, all in a streamlined grouping of playlists to keep the player count up in each hopper.

Matchmaking management failures in the past weren't because there was no "concise vision" for the game, it's because its been the most halfassed, lazy ass display of community interaction for a AAA video game in the entire industry. For Bungie, selling overpriced Chinese waterbottles with the Bungie logo on it and yelling at Forgehub members took precedence over removing fusion coils from Valhalla. For 343, a diatribe by its franchise director lamenting the "cheating" that can occur from a broken spawn system on Zealot happened while never actually fixing the problem.

Loadouts, no loadouts. Visions of the game, perks, armor abilities, gun camo. All of it is irrelevant if basic redundencies and improvements are ignored in favor of zero transparency and half-assed attempts at crowd pleasing.

perfect post, I agree

Maybe you have a point somewhere- but when the viewpoint is as overblown as this- we'll never know.

Halo has been about knowing where and when weapons and power ups spawn, everyone spawning with the exact same weapons and using your skills to beat your opponent. knowing map layouts and control and having to practice.

343 is forgoing a lot of this with Loadouts, Ordnance drops, And the huge amount of notifications on the screen.

I've been thinking a lot about the meta-game side of Halo lately ...
I appreciate what you're saying and it sounds like a great idea in theory, but you're essentially talking about teaching kids and young adults how to gamble, which in my opinion is a really bad idea. On a personal level, gambling ruins lives and families, and on a larger scale, all you have to do is look at the state of the American economy to see what high-level gambling does.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Er, no, it should be a vision of what the player wants to play since multiplayer games live and die by their population. That means keeping an active eye on the community and catering to specific subsets while also providing a great experience for the casual player, all in a streamlined grouping of playlists to keep the player count up in each hopper.

I've kind of always put off 343 disinterest in Reach as it not being their game and them having bigger fish to worry about. I get the impression that a good effort in addressing this in H4 will be made. The flow of information has been puzzling to me, with them keeping their cards close to the chest, but catering to me isn't going to help pre-order numbers- so I'm going to be patient.

Halo has been about knowing where and when weapons and power ups spawn, everyone spawning with the exact same weapons and using your skills to beat your opponent. knowing map layouts and control and having to practice.

343 is forgoing a lot of this with Loadouts, Ordnance drops, And the huge amount of notifications on the screen.

Infinity Slayer isn't going to be the only playlist on H4.

Reviewing last nights games in theatre, set to the Halo 2 (vol 2) soundtrack is beautiful.

I appreciate what you're saying and it sounds like a great idea in theory, but you're essentially talking about teaching kids and young adults how to gamble, which in my opinion is a really bad idea. On a personal level, gambling ruins lives and families, and on a larger scale, all you have to do is look at the state of the American economy to see what high-level gambling does.

No, lisa, you're not a monster. The only monster here is the gambling monster that has enslaved your mother, and I call him Gamblor! We must save your mother from his neon claws!

A6, better camera processing, 4g LTE, has new Apple maps with turn by turn navigation for the first time. Plus, I'm due for an upgrade.

Just a couple reasons.

HTC One X has Internal 32 GB storage, 1 GB RAM, a Quad-core 1.5 GHz processor, 8MP camera...
Lumia 920 will have WIndows Phone 8, Wireless charging, NFC, Native C/C++ code, PureView camera, a brighter screen, and better battery life (if you trust nokia's claims). Revamped maps and turn-by-turn navigation.

I fail to see what an iPhone has to offer that these phones don't.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
HTC One X has Internal 32 GB storage, 1 GB RAM, a Quad-core 1.5 GHz processor, 8MP camera...
Lumia 920 will have WIndows Phone 8, Wireless charging, NFC, Native C/C++ code, PureView camera, a brighter screen, and better battery life (if you trust nokia's claims). Revamped maps and turn-by-turn navigation.

It also has a quad core processor, 1GB ram (I believe), 16-64GB of storage, 8MP camera.

It more becomes now which environment and OS you like best. You're going to get an amazing phone either way.

I had a Droid X for 2.5 years, I want an iPhone now. Simple as that.

Havok

An ecosystem that the users are likely already entrenched in. If you're talking about users new to the Apple ecosystem, the answer is a little more nebulous.

When my iPhone broke, I ended up getting a Windows Phone rather than another Apple product, because I didn't really care about my app backlog, but even then, I was leaving behind probably $150 in software that I'd purchased over the years.

nbraun80

It's still going to take skill to beat an opponent. And maybe that's what halo is to you, but to me it shouldn't be about people having time charts of when and where things spawn and camping them, yeah that's very skillful. If you're truly better than someone you'll be about to outsmart them if they have a power weapon. If you're better, you'll be able to out dual a br vs. dmr, dmr vs. light rifle or what have you. If you're better then someone you should be about to adapt to these changing and learn to use them to your advantage.

Infinity Slayer isn't going to be the only playlist on H4.
343 will use the "Infinity system" in damn near every playlist.

the "classic" playlist will probably have TU Reach settings

It's still going to take skill to beat an opponent. And maybe that's what halo is to you, but to me it shouldn't be about people having time charts of when and where things spawn and camping them, yeah that's very skillful. If you're truly better than someone you'll be about to outsmart them if they have a power weapon. If you're better, you'll be able to out dual a br vs. dmr, dmr vs. light rifle or what have you. If you're better then someone you should be about to adapt to these changing and learn to use them to your advantage.

they're building the game to have virtually no line between Hardcore and Social players anyway. hence the quiet about a Ranking system.

I don't think I can go back to a non-windows phone anymore.

TCKaos

343 will use the "Infinity system" in damn near every playlist.

the "classic" playlist will probably have TU Reach settings

they're building the game to have virtually no line between Hardcore and Social players anyway. hence the quiet about a Ranking system.

And you have firsthand knowledge of this how?

I don't think I can go back to a non-windows phone anymore.

Likewise. They're just so... snappy. They feel great. Social networking is heavily integrated (can't wait for skype integration). Yeah, Apple have more apps (700,000+ v 40,000+), but quality over quantity.
Most importantly, I love how I have 6 email accounts synced to it over 2 different liked inboxes, with tile notifications for exactly how many unseen messages.
I'll have this
nokia920-1346855563.jpg
over this
any day.

--

HALO!

MAKING OF HALO 4
PART 3: Return of the Covenant,

Frankie pls.

heckfu

Banned

Synergy with my apple tv, iPad, and MacBook.

JackHerer

Likewise. They're just so... snappy. They feel great. Social networking is heavily integrated (can't wait for skype integration). Yeah, Apple have more apps (700,000+ v 40,000+), but quality over quantity.
Most importantly, I love how I have 6 email accounts synced to it over 2 different liked inboxes, with tile notifications for exactly how many unseen messages.
I'll have this

over this

any day.

I never really liked the look of the mobile Windows UI. But I have never used one to be honest so I can't really make a fair judgement. Disclosure: I own an iPhone 4

Realistically, most smartphones phones are capable of satisfactorily doing everything I would ever need my phone to do: browse the internet, check my email, send texts, make calls, play games, calendar/planner, alarm clock, etc. Because of this I have no reason to rush out and buy an iPhone 5. The only new thing that's really attractive is the LTE.

I don't get the people who hate on Apple phones. It's really weird. Unless you're some super niche customer that's looking for something really specific on your phone (e.g. you want to be able to take super high quality photos with your phone) or on a tight budget it becomes really subjective which brand you prefer.

IHaveIce

Banned
I never really liked the look of the mobile Windows UI. But I have never used one to be honest so I can't really make a fair judgement. Disclosure: I own an iPhone 4

Realistically, most smartphones phones are capable of satisfactorily doing everything I would ever need my phone to do: browse the internet, check my email, send texts, make calls, play games, calendar/planner, alarm clock, etc. Because of this I have no reason to rush out and buy an iPhone 5. The only new thing that's really attractive is the LTE.

I don't get the people who hate on Apple phones. It's really weird. Unless you're some super niche customer that's looking for something really specific on your phone or on a tight budget it becomes really subjective which brand you prefer.

I think it is more the hate on the company Apple, than the hate on the phones.

Synergy with my apple tv, iPad, and MacBook.

You can get Synergy on Linux and PC, too... I don't see why you would want to use it on your phone though.

I don't get the people who hate on Apple phones. It's really weird. Unless you're some super niche customer that's looking for something really specific on your phone or on a tight budget it becomes really subjective which brand you prefer.

I don't hate iPhones, I hate that people think there's nothing else on the market that achieves the same task, if not more efficiently.

WP UI is definitely different to anything else, but once you try it you get used to it very fast and you don't want to switch to anything else.

Karl2177

Or just acting like a child thinking that there is only one "correct" product.

I'll be getting the next iPhone when my current one decides to poop out. Reasons: to piss off derflatulator, easy integration with my current Apple products, and I like iOS.

Making of Halo 4 Part 3: War Games.
Yes please. Show us any of these:
  • all the gametypes that we'll be playing (with footage not taken from a phone)
  • what types of playlists to expect
  • what the hell is on the 2nd disc of the LE
  • mortarforking FORGE and what we're going to be playing with
  • how Spartan Ops is going to work in terms of what we have to download/stream
  • multiplayer maps
  • etc.

No more campaign stuff until I get to play it.

heckfu

Banned
You can get Synergy on Linux and PC, too... I don't see why you would want to use it on your phone though.

You asked me twice why I personally use the phone and ive answered. If you aren't capable of seeing two sides of a discussion then please don't start one in the future.

• multiplayer maps
  • etc.

I hope Spartan Ops gets an own ViDoc. How do they create the mission? What is their inspiration? How does it work?

I feel like the iPhone is becoming the new Porsche...

On topic I would love for a War games or Forge Vidoc. No more Campaign footage, I don't want to spoil any more of it.

• multiplayer maps
  • etc.

IHaveIce

Banned
  • multiplayer maps
  • etc.

Oh yes please.

Visual ranks, a ranking system and custom game browser.

Boom.
OH YES PLEASE

Or just acting like a child thinking that there is only one "correct" product.

I'll be getting the next iPhone when my current one decides to poop out. Reasons: to piss off derflatulator, easy integration with my current Apple products, and I like iOS.

Primary reason for purchasing an iPhone? Nice!

Fair enough though. If you like the Apple ecosystem I don't have a problem with that whatsoever, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. What does piss me off is when people buy iPhones purely because it's an iPhone, without considering other options on the market. If you have an iPad, MacBook, etc, it makes perfect sense to buy an iPad. Just like it makes just as much sense to buy a WP if you have a PC or a Windows tablet.

Top Bottom