• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

rm1XF.png

Does anyone know if they for sure will block certain loadouts for specific gametypes? Because I'm thinking maybe that's another reason why they made the KILL waypoint, auto pickup and not being able to drop the flag..

Wouldn't playlists get too "complicated" if certain gametypes restricted only certain parts of the loadouts? Just sayin.. Seems like they're trying to balance everything so that they won't need to do that and in some cases over"balancing" (ie: CTF changes).

-EDIT-

v Oh so nothing definitive then? Was hoping I missed something concrete..

Expect one playlist that has restricted loadouts.

Anything more, and MM because a disaster faster than Reach's even with it's 4 distinct gametypes and all 300 of its playlists.

To be touting play the way you want, 343 is really forcing their vision of how we should play.

They are touting loadouts giving you the tools to help you play your playstyle, that does not mean, nor should it play to a "cater to everyone" style of matchmaking.

Matchmaking should be for a concise vision of the game that the developer envisions. A small set of specific gametype and map combos/setups that they have spent a lot of time and effort on and feel very confident in. That combed with few playlists in general, which creates better connections, trueskill matches, and party matching because of larger populations makes for a good matchmaking experience.

Attempting to cater to everyone that's ever had an opinion in matchmaking has been a disaster in the past, and will continue to be in the future. It's inevitably leads to a "jack of all trades, but master of none" situation with gametypes and maps, and 100 different playlists makes populations per playlist low which decreases the quality of games.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I always enjoy how the only people who complain about Trueskill are the extremely good players in HaloGAF.

Yeah, if Ryaaan can manage to win solo a lot of the time, you are going to occasionally shit all over kids. This isn't news.

I always enjoy how the only people who complain about Trueskill are the extremely good players in HaloGAF.

Yeah, if Ryaaan can manage to win solo a lot of the time, you are going to occasionally shit all over kids. This isn't news.

You implying ExWife is extremely good?? iLul'd.

oh_hai_gif.gif

I wish 344p would tell us more about the Covenant weapons next week.

I would rather they showed us something new, something we haven't already seen in off screen footage. It would also be cool if they narrated it telling us they're thoughts and feelings on what we are watching.

Would also be cool if they explained the different ways to buy the game and whats in each package.

Yeah, I am. I don't see the joke there.

89513487.gif

lol but on another note, I think the whole not-being-unzoomed when being shot change as default is going to attract a lot of newcomers subconsciously, so great choice IMO with that decision. That was definitely one of Halo's features which made it that much more competitive than other shooters, but I don't necessarily think hardcore players will miss it in the long run..

lol but on another note, I think the whole not-being-unzoomed when being shot change as default is going to attract a lot of newcomers subconsciously, so great choice IMO with that decision. That was definitely one of Halo's features which made it that much more competitive than other shooters, but I don't necessarily think hardcore players will miss it in the long run..

Yeah I was a bit concerned with the change, but when I got to play the game, I immediately liked it.
So Vahalla it is.

Maybe will get to see the remake map in the covie weapon trailer.

I think Frank said more than 7, but less than 30 sleeps, so we won't see it in the Covy video next week. I assume that the remake will be a part of the press previews that will hit in a couple of weeks.

nillapuddin

Yeah I was a bit concerned with the change, but when I got to play the game, I immediately liked it.

Im glad you say that, I figured as much, this is BTB Reach

Zoom in
DMR'd
Zoom in
DMR'd
Zoom in

its like the timing of the DMR is just enough to annoyingly allow you to get rescoped before knocking you out from enemy fire

So, Im still not a huge fan of the Promethean Knight design.. It just seems like a awkward, hulking beetle robot that is being piloted by a goblin.. It just doesn't feel Forerunner, it seems closer to another species using Forerunner tech to make their own armor/race. I wish it were slightly more sleek, and I wish it did not have an evil face (Im not even talking about the skull when he opes up his mask, I just mean the thing inside the armor that looks like an evil goblin). This design really looked a lot better IMO, more organic, original and Forerunner:

E0DgV.png

This is awesome, we need a bigger version of it.

For me, Halo had the best in-game atmosphere; the feeling of mystery upon initial landing on Halo, then dread and horror that builds up to the reveal of the Flood is second to none in the series. But as a story, Halo 2 takes the cake.

The sheer volume of world building Bungie did in that game is incredible. The scope expands exponentially, a host of charactes are created and fleshed out (the Arbiter and Truth being standouts), and there are actual character arcs they pass through. The Arbiter's journey from shamed commander to suicide mission chaser to having his faith shaken, and ultimately turning away from the Covenant was so well done; it's still some of my favorite story telling in all of gaming. There are so many ways it could have gone wrong, and they pulled it off at every front.

Shame it was cut short, but what Bungie did in Halo 2 has defined and set the fictional foundations for the entire rest of the series.

Agreed, 100%. Halo 2 had an amazing story that really eclipsed the rest of the series.. The drop of quality in Halo 3's story telling really left me let down feeling. I like Halo 3, but it really did not live up to my expectations, at all.

I love how in this image, instead of just slicing the enemy with his sword, the Knight does a 360 to hit it with the gun.
Looks sick though :p

i8xxsy2IevqTb.gif

The Knights animate really, really well. Im not a huge fan of their design, but I have to say the work put into them is fantastic and help me like and believe em as an sentient enemy. I honestly think I would not like the design at all if it were not for all the amazing animations.

Oh cool, the Concussion Rifle shows up at the end.. Looks like the Reach version but with some green lights.

This video blue it.

So, Im still not a huge fan of the Promethean Knight design.. It just seems like a awkward, hulking beetle robot that is being piloted by a goblin.. It just doesn't feel Forerunner, it seems closer to another species using Forerunner tech to make their own armor/race. I wish it were slightly more sleek, and I wish it did not have an evil face (Im not even talking about the skull when he opes up his mask, I just mean the thing inside the armor that looks like an evil goblin). This design really looked a lot better IMO, more organic, original and Forerunner:

E0DgV.png
But Prometheans are not organic or robots.

But Prometheans are not organic or robots.

No, but they were the Warrior Servant class of Forerunner, so these suits of armor at a time would have contained a Forerunner. Right now it seems to be a suit of armor that looks like a beetle inspired robot mixed with an evil looking Knight, piloted by an evil looking goblin. For me the design just isn't clicking, it just seems to be a far cry from everything we know about Forerunners and the Promethean class of Forerunners. Also, I feel the evil looking creature piloting it seems a bit..predictable, at least when it comes to designing enemies.

But you are saying that the Prometheans are the same as they are described in Cryptum and Primordium. But the Promethans aren't the same. They are different. Were they even Forerunner?

TBH, I'm not sure what I'm saying.. But I think what I'm saying is this- When they said they didn't want the Promethean Knights to look like Robots or Monsters, I think they missed their mark a bit as it looks like a monster inside of a robot. On top of that, I'm not a fan of the monster look, and would have preferred something more subtle, sleek, like the art above.. So my point is...

Well I'm not sure. I'm tired. I'm gonna go to sleep. :lol

Maybe if I saw what a Forerunner looked like inside of the armor back when they were created I would like it more. Right now it leaves me with mixed feelings, both canonically and art design wise.

If I'm not mistaken, these Prometheans are, to clarify,
Spiritual Essence/A.I. of Deceased Warrior Servants/Prometheans Combined with Combat Tech. ex. 343 Guilty Spark(Chakas).
Not goblins in a suit.

Yeah, my issue is that they look like a Goblin in a suit though. I'm sure there is a reason for that thing in the suit, but I would have preferred a slightly different look.

No, but they were the Warrior Servant class of Forerunner, so these suits of armor at a time would have contained a Forerunner. Right now it seems to be a suit of armor that looks like a beetle inspired robot mixed with an evil looking Knight, piloted by an evil looking goblin. For me the design just isn't clicking, it just seems to be a far cry from everything we know about Forerunners and the Promethean class of Forerunners. Also, I feel the evil looking creature piloting it seems a bit..predictable, at least when it comes to designing enemies.
But you are saying that the Prometheans are the same as they are described in Cryptum and Primordium. But the Promethans aren't the same. They are different. Were they even Forerunner?

If I'm not mistaken, these Prometheans are, to clarify,
Spiritual Essence/A.I. of Deceased Warrior Servants/Prometheans Combined with Combat Tech. ex. 343 Guilty Spark(Chakas).
Not goblins in a suit.

so is it just me or was there a pretty major redesign of the light rifle? the E3 version had a different transform animation, less light beam showing through the body and a smaller scope. Really like the newer one...assuming its not a different weapon entirely and im an idiot

also has there been any official word why some PromKnights are blue and others orange? I am admittedly ignorant to most of the expanded universe, but for some reason I immediately thought of competing factions (and Tron).

They aren't real forerunners either.
because of my aforementioned ignorance, I have not ruled out them not being the real forerunners either

I LOVE the Prometheans. I still think they look like these though. I love love love metroid prime, and yes I know they only look similar but it's all I can/want to see.

I think it was the movement as much as the visuals that reminded me of the space pirates from Metroid Prime.

I think it was the movement as much as the visuals that reminded me of the space pirates from Metroid Prime.

Yes absolutely. I'm not sure which one it was but I think in the dark world of prime 2 there are enemies VERY similar to the prometheans, even with the teleporting. I'm fairly certain.

I can't even begin to say how excited I am. I am just hoping for huge battles and giant vehicle battles like in halo 3. Those were fantastic for co-op. I'd love some sort of scarab or new huge mechanical foe similar to it.

So Vahalla it is.

Maybe will get to see the remake map in the covie weapon trailer.
Not a fan. Maybe they can improve it. Isn't there supposed to be some kind of towering center structure, though? The middle hill in valhalla doesn't make me think, "big structure." Im' still hoping it's waterworks.
halo-2-waterworks.jpg

Pop

Not a fan. Maybe they can improve it. Isn't there supposed to be some kind of towering center structure, though? The middle hill in valhalla doesn't make me think, "big structure." Im' still hoping it's waterworks.
halo-2-waterworks.jpg

I would love that map also. I guess all we can do now is wait 7 to 30 sleeps. :(

halo-2-waterworks.jpg

Nothing would make me Happier. After Halo 3 and Reach I hope I finally get my remake :D

Woorloog

Banned
DMR is 5sk. Not 100% sure but I think the Light Rifle is a 4sk scoped in.

With slower ROF balancing it. Interesting.
Definetly think the Light Rifle will be my weapon, since it offers both the BR and DMR in the same package. Besides, the thing is pretty darn cool.
The question is, Firepower or some other perk, and if Firepower, what is my secondary?

With slower ROF balancing it. Interesting.
Definetly think the Light Rifle will be my weapon, since it offers both the BR and DMR in the same package. Besides, the thing is pretty darn cool.
The question is, Firepower or some other perk, and if Firepower, what is my secondary?

Depending on how Sprint's recharge rate works, I think all my permanent loadouts will have Mobility and Dexterity.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The Forerunners weren't limited to the Milky Way.

So why the focus on this galaxy? If the Flood came here, did it also go to other galaxies too? Which ones?

Woorloog

Banned
Depending on how Sprint's recharge rate works, I think all my permanent loadouts will have Mobility and Dexterity.

Dexterity certainly sounds useful. Mobility, not so much as i don't sprint that much even if i have sprint available (in COD i tended to move slowly, ready to shoot instead of sprinting, same in BF3 and Reach).
That perk reducing scope flinching or something like that, that sounds useful. Also the one that reduces EMP effect on vehicles.
Ah, did we have full list of these somewhere?

The Forerunners weren't limited to the Milky Way.

So why the focus on this galaxy? If the Flood came here, did it also go to other galaxies too? Which ones?
Eh? Yes they were. Weren't they?
Precursors retreated to Magellan Cloud (don't remember which one) and those are considerably closer than the next closest galaxy, Andromeda. Don't think the Forerunners themselves ever travelled beetween galaxies. The Flood was sent from either Magellan(ic? sp?) Cloud. EDIT though considering were the Arks where located, the Forerunners probably could have travelled beetween galaxies, but they never struck to me as the type to do that
Besides, even a small galaxy is so damn huge... why bother thinking other galaxies?

Duji

Himself. He has played the game.

So have I. I'm the guy who brought you guys the Binary Rifle vid actually.

The RoF of the BR and the LR felt the same to me. Unless someone did an actual frame count (on non-offscreen footage) or something of the sort, we don't really know how the RoFs compare. The only exception is if the two weapons have a blatantly different RoF (they don't).

So have I. I'm the guy who brought you guys the Binary Rifle vid actually.

The RoF of the BR and the LR felt the same to me. Unless someone did an actual frame count (on non-offscreen footage) or something of the sort, we don't really know how the RoFs compare. The only exception is if the two weapons have a blatantly different RoF (they don't).
I'm pretty sure he was talking about ROF while scoped. Unscoped, I would agree with you, although the way the LR's horizontal burst works makes it feel quite different than the BR.

Top Bottom