• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Halo doesn't need to be the next Halo.

in this regard

“we surprised players in a way that perhaps wasn’t what was expected. And that may have not been a good thing. By changing up some of the core mechanics and— we got a lot of strong feedback when we did that.

“On Resistance 3, we went back to some of our more traditional core mechanics that players did love, and then built a story that was more personal. That in our opinion was the way to move the franchise forward in a way that was unique for first-person shooters.

Gui_PT

GXcth.gif

heckfu

Banned
blah blah blah halo

Ughhhh iPhone 5 preordered and the shipping has already been pushed back 2 weeks. In case anyone was looking to order one, I'd do it earlier rather than later.

Talents

Banned
Halo 9: Finish the fight...again...again

I know the plot of Halo 7,8,9. MC is transported 500 years in the past, he loses all his weapons and armour, and joins the army, his captain is none other, than Captain Price.

Pretty much Halo 7,8,9 is CoD4, MW2 and MW3 all over again.

you're right. they're just the caretakers of a successful game series. and its not the Halo experience anymore (IMO). its some amalgamation of elements from tons of other games that "needed" change to compete with more casual based FPS games.

I believe that some of these things were needed, though. Floating text maybe not. A couple other things maybe not. But the fact that people came away from PAX elated like they did should show you something. Maybe its not the game YOU want, but its the game a lot of people want. MLG gamers are touting it as competitive again, and from what I've seen the focus is still all on the gunplay, and the gunplay looks fantastic. Cliche or not, glass half empty/full.

I understand complaints here because some stuff actually does change since devs look at this thread, but games pretty much complete, you're wasting your breath, this has all been said before, and at this point it just looks a little sad to me. If you don't like what you see at this point, either don't buy the game and get on with your life or buy the game, expect the worst, and most likely get pleasantly surprised. You know you're gonna play the shit out of this thing, man.

edit: Personally I was hoping for even more change after playing some other modern shooters. When something is done better, other games should look at that and go "hey it can be done better, how can I implement that?". Thats why this fear of adapting annoys me; if it's blatantly copying for no reasons of improvement, then bash away. But there are pretty calculated reasons for almost everything their doing, and I expect it to work the way it was intended.

TheOddOne

you're right. they're just the caretakers of a successful game series. and its not the Halo experience anymore (IMO). its some amalgamation of elements from tons of other games that "needed" change to compete with more casual based FPS games.
I don’t know what you’re rambling about and you’re not making a point at all. Resistance 2 was a case study in rushing an unfinished game out for the holidays. It’s underlying systems were fine but needed that extra year to polish it all off, because it has tons of potential but suffered from its huge ambitions and it showed. That is the reason that game is so despised, it tried a million things but never mastered any of them. Even Insomniac said that and was one of the reasons that Resistance 3 got a three-year development cycle.

I believe that some of these things were needed, though. Floating text maybe not. A couple other things maybe not. But the fact that people came away from PAX elated like they did should show you something. Maybe its not the game YOU want, but its the game a lot of people want. MLG gamers are touting it as competitive again, and from what I've seen the focus is still all on the gunplay, and the gunplay looks fantastic. Cliche or not, glass half empty/full.

I understand complaints here because some stuff actually does change since devs look at this thread, but games pretty much complete, you're wasting your breath, this has all been said before, and at this point it just looks a little sad to me. If you don't like what you see at this point, either don't buy the game and get on with your life or buy the game, expect the worst, and most likely get pleasantly surprised. You know you're gonna play the shit out of this thing, man.

edit: Personally I was hoping for even more change after playing some other modern shooters. When something is done better, other games should look at that and go "hey it can be done better, how can I implement that?". Thats why this fear of adapting annoys me; if it's blatantly copying for no reasons of improvement, then bash away. But there are pretty calculated reasons for almost everything their doing, and I expect it to work the way it was intended.
I'm not going to type out some long response. If you want so much change in Halo, then you really don't want to play Halo anymore.

Gazzawa

I'm not going to type out some long response. If you want so much change in Halo, then you really don't want to play Halo anymore.

I'd like to interject here and leave you with the musings of the wise rapper Jay-Z.
"Hov on that new shit, N
words
like 'how come?' Want my old shit? Buy my old album."

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
blah blah blah halo

Ughhhh iPhone 5 preordered and the shipping has already been pushed back 2 weeks. In case anyone was looking to order one, I'd do it earlier rather than later.

Got up at 2am here and got mine ordered. My Droid X is on its last legs.

Come on now, I can do this too. If you want no change in Halo, you can just go play Halo 2 or 3. Halo needs to evolve and change to stay fresh, all while keeping the core gameplay. From what I played, Halo 4 does this.

I'd like to interject here and leave you with the musings of the wise rapper Jay-Z.
"Hov on that new shit, N
words
like 'how come?' Want my old shit? Buy my old album."

Perfect.

Akai__

Found the Halo 7 plot: This Cryo FUD teaser gave me an idea.

The woman says, that you are dreaming sometimes, whilst you are in Cryo sleep.

Maybe Master Chief is dreaming all the time and he wakes up in Halo 7. :lol

Not being serious, but I found it funny, how Halo 7 sounds. A 7th part (without counting ODST, Reach and Wars) of a Halo game. Can you imagine this craziness?

I wish I could afford an iPhone.

/poor

Seriously don't understand why people would want an iPhone 5. (Especially those who already have an iPhone 4 or 4S.)

The only two positive about it are that it has a 0.5" larger screen, and a slightly better processor (still not equal with current competition, the HTC ONE X and Samsung galaxy SIII.)

It has no youtube nor google maps, costs your right arm, and doesn't work with all your current docks, chargers, etc. It doesn't have any modern features like NFC nor a decent camera. Has an Irreplaceable battery, no external memory, I could probably go on...

so...why are jetpacks in? camo? regen field? Why does the BR have spread again, and now recoil? Why do the DMR and Pistol have bloom again? Why are weapons going to randomly drop from the sky instead of respawn on the map like they used to? Why is there a perk that lets me deal more damage with my grenades, sprint forever, and reload my gun 75% faster than normal? Why does the banshee still have the banshee bomb? Why can't I drop the flag in custom games?

I completely respect 343 for doing their vision of halo, but that doesn't mean I understand it. And while I've disagreed with alot of the changes so far I'm not going to lie and say "OMg 343 u lost my buy!!" because I will buy it, I'm just skeptical.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member

I haven't seen a single gameplay and thought of any other game besides Halo. Complaining for the sake of complaining.

so...why are jetpacks in? camo? regen field? Why does the BR have spread again, and now recoil? Why do the DMR and Pistol have bloom again? Why are weapons going to randomly drop from the sky instead of respawn on the map like they used to? Why is there a perk that lets me deal more damage with my grenades, sprint forever, and reload my gun 75% faster than normal? Why does the banshee still have the banshee bomb? Why can't I drop the flag in custom games?

I completely respect 343 for doing their vision of halo, but that doesn't mean I understand it. And while I've disagreed with alot of the changes so far I'm not going to lie and say "OMg 343 u lost my buy!!" because I will buy it, I'm just skeptical.

I'm with you in that I'd prefer the same gameplay- just don't bother me much. I know from your past posts you don't feel the same, but I still think most of these are necessary evils. I'm willing to see if the population stays stronger as a result of these changes. The one core gameplay concern you have, with bloom, I am not as concerned over. I get it's supposed to add an optimum range for weapons- and it seems that it's better implemented by a mile in this game.

And what do you call an argument when you haven't even touched the product yet. Answer: unfounded negative speculation without a glimmer of hope.
The same is not going to be said (Unfounded Positive Speculation) because Everyone has played the game right? Guess what, people aren't always going to agree with you and slrp.
People actually think for themselves and have differing opinions

I haven't seen a single gameplay and thought of any other game besides Halo. Complaining for the sake of complaining.
See above

The same is not going to be said (Unfounded Positive Speculation) because Everyone has played the game right? Guess what, people aren't always going to agree with you and slrp.
People actually think for themselves and have differing opinions

"All I know is I know nothing" -some smart guy. And if I'm going to be consistently negative about that lack of knowledge then I'm gonna have a tough time. Why not be hopeful instead? Are you that afraid of disappointment?

Reach was a disappointment and 4 is building on that. So why go into the game with any sort of expectations?

Don't go into it with expectations. Hope for the best, its a new company. Just know they're using the same engine and want to make a good Halo game.

"All I know is I know nothing" -some smart guy. And if I'm going to be consistently negative about that then I'm gonna have a tough time. Why not be hopeful instead? Are you that afraid of disappointment?
Reach was a disappointment and 4 is building on that. So why go into the game with any sort of expectations?

Just know they're using the same engine and want to make a good Halo game.

they want to completely change the multiplayer. thats what it has seemed like since information has been coming out.

Talents

Banned
And what do you call an argument when you haven't even touched the product yet. Answer: unfounded negative speculation without a glimmer of hope.

I got told this so many times when I predicted Reach was going to be shit. And I was right, so I stick to my opinion about games until I play them.

heckfu

Banned
Seriously don't understand why people would want an iPhone 5. (Especially those who already have an iPhone 4 or 4S.)

The only two positive about it are that it has a 0.5" larger screen, and a slightly better processor (still not equal with current competition, the HTC ONE X and Samsung galaxy SIII.)

It has no youtube nor google maps, costs your right arm, and doesn't work with all your current docks, chargers, etc. It doesn't have any modern features like NFC nor a decent camera. Has an Irreplaceable battery, no external memory, I could probably go on...
A6, better camera processing, 4g LTE, has new Apple maps with turn by turn navigation for the first time. Plus, I'm due for an upgrade.

Just a couple reasons.

kylej

Banned
Matchmaking should be for a concise vision of the game that the developer envisions.

Attempting to cater to everyone that's ever had an opinion in matchmaking has been a disaster in the past.

Er, no, it should be a vision of what the player wants to play since multiplayer games live and die by their population. That means keeping an active eye on the community and catering to specific subsets while also providing a great experience for the casual player, all in a streamlined grouping of playlists to keep the player count up in each hopper.

Matchmaking management failures in the past weren't because there was no "concise vision" for the game, it's because its been the most halfassed, lazy ass display of community interaction for a AAA video game in the entire industry. For Bungie, selling overpriced Chinese waterbottles with the Bungie logo on it and yelling at Forgehub members took precedence over removing fusion coils from Valhalla. For 343, a diatribe by its franchise director lamenting the "cheating" that can occur from a broken spawn system on Zealot happened while never actually fixing the problem.

Loadouts, no loadouts. Visions of the game, perks, armor abilities, gun camo. All of it is irrelevant if basic redundencies and improvements are ignored in favor of zero transparency and half-assed attempts at crowd pleasing that are just decent enough to keep people playing while never realizing the game's potential.

Top Bottom