• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Yeah GGs everyone. It was nice to play Refuge for once.
The whole tournament was a lot of fun, and every game we played in it was competitive. Thank you, monsterfracas, for organizing it, and thank you to all the players who participated, and thanks to my teammates who performed excellently. I look forward to the next HaloGAF tournament.

Sai-kun

Banned

tELTd.gif

The fact that it's a Major Nelson tweet too... oh boy.

I do think it's different in a competitive game. Not different enough for a solid excuse. It either was something you considered important or it wasn't.
I don't think it's different in a competitive game at all, it's about preference and comfort. Plenty of people have been disappointed that the new features have altered their preferred control scheme, namely the sprint and crouch implementation. You shouldn't have to go into a game just hoping that they got a preset for your preference.

I don't think it's different in a competitive game at all, it's about preference and comfort. Plenty of people have been disappointed that the new features have altered their preferred control scheme, namely the sprint and crouch implementation. You shouldn't have to go into a game just hoping that they got a preset for your preference.
I think it has to do with usability, ironically enough. If this is the case, they should make custom controls available through some kind of backdoor at least for the competent people who absolutely need it (such as disabled gamers).

I think it has to do with usability, ironically enough. If this is the case, they should make custom controls available through some kind of backdoor at least for the competent people who absolutely need it (such as disabled gamers).

New IGN headline: "343i 'Couldn't Care Less' About Disabled Gamers. Custom Controls 'Waste of Bandwidth'."

Ten bucks theres no button glitches like a bxr or dubshot and bl2 has a feature that 343 can't pull off. Great stuff all around though.

u4iX

CS:GO had custom buttons... Borderlands 2 has custom buttons...

Murder Miners... the $3.00, 240 MSP Indie XBLA title has custom buttons.

They're also looking into patching custom Aim Acceleration and Aim Magnetism controls.

It is what it is.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder what Frank/Ellis will say about BL2 buttom customization. Or they'll just ignore it.
There's nothing to say, really. I mean, I think Frankie's explanation for excluding button customization in Halo 4 didn't quite add up, but I don't think anyone at 343 owes us further explanation. They could have made it happen, surely, but it apparently wasn't a priority. Some of us dislike it, and the frustration of learning a new control scheme may persist for a while, but ultimately we'll adapt and it'll be a moot issue.

CS:GO had custom buttons... Borderlands 2 has custom buttons...

Murder Miners... the $3.00, 240 MSP India XBLA title has custom buttons.

They're also looking into patching custom Aim Acceleration and Aim Magnetism controls.

It is what it is.

What does it matter what country it's from?

$10?
What are your terms? How do we prove that there aren't any?

I'm guessing you're right, but I want to play this out. What's $10

A glitch people will learn to do that is used advantageously that wouldn't have been able to have been pulled off on default controls except they allowed button mapping and because of that the glitch is available.

heckfu

Banned
Wonder what Frank/Ellis will say about BL2 buttom customization. Or they'll just ignore it.

Well this isn't their game, I would venture to say they're focusing on getting Halo 4 out of the door for us nerds instead of answering the same questions they have a million times already.

A glitch people will learn to do that is used advantageously that wouldn't have been able to have been pulled off on default controls except they allowed button mapping and because of that the glitch is available.
Sounds fair. Discovering/hearing about it will be hard. End date? Paypal okay?
Jokes, talking about BL2 after heckfu's post confirmed button mapping.
Ah, heh. Just wanted to be sure my memory wasn't completely lost.

no time for customizable controls, too busy modeling seattle and making grunts drive warthogs for no reason

What? I have seen you mention that before but didnt get it. I guess they showed an in engine version of Seattle? Or did they just talk about it one time.

Would actually be pretty cool to see real places in engine, but yeah I can think of a thousand other things I want them to do first.

u4iX

I totally forget we still haven't heard if these Forge environments contain different colored pieces. I think a purple them would make sense to implement, as well as a Forerunner theme. Some aesthetics with darker base colors and shining blue or yellow glowing lights.

Well this isn't their game, I would venture to say they're focusing on getting Halo 4 out of the door for us nerds instead of answering the same questions they have a million times already.

When did they say they started working on this game? 08? 09? Plenty of time to add this feature.

Noricart

I totally forget we still haven't heard if these Forge environments contain different colored pieces. I think a purple them would make sense to implement, as well as a Forerunner theme. Some aesthetics with darker base colors and shining blue or yellow glowing lights.

I believe one of the updates stated that forge objects would be UNSC themed, with some Forerunner themed objects. Still no mention on the extent of palettes though.

What? I have seen you mention that before but didnt get it. I guess they showed an in engine version of Seattle? Or did they just talk about it one time.

Would actually be pretty cool to see real places in engine, but yeah I can think of a thousand other things I want them to do first.

They modeled their favorite restaurants in down town Seattle and then set up a grunt that would drive to them. They would figure out what restaurant they would eat lunch at by letting people place marines on the map to keep the grunt from reaching a particular place.

Instead of modeling buildings they should probably remodel the sniper.

When did they say they started working on this game? 08? 09? Plenty of time to add this feature.
My impression - 08 - setup and focus on other projects, expanded Universe stuff, helping Bungie etc
09 - Preproduction, skeleton team
10 - 12 Huge growth in staff, 18 months of 250+ people working damn hard

Trying not to defend or condemn, but I can't but read via twitter and elsewhere that a lot of the team has been crunching for months, so it's more a question of what they chose to be important.
Which is completely fair to criticise.

They modeled their favorite restaurants in down town Seattle and then set up a grunt that would drive to them. They would figure out what restaurant they would eat lunch at by letting people place marines on the map to keep the grunt from reaching a particular place.
See, I get where you're coming from, but that doesn't strike me as entirely fair.
The (rudimentary I'll bet) restuarant modelling likely happened during some late night crunch when you're trying to build a space to test something out and you let loose a bit of steam and stress by trying to make it fun, lighten the atmosphere in the room.
I'd have to assume that really isn't why buttons aren't remapable. It's (I hope) because people sat around a table and decided it's not something they want to spend time on. They want to, oh I dunno, change grifball dramatically.
I certainly don't agree with the decision, but I wouldn't blame the guy who modelled a few buildings either (or that he was allowed do it).

Top Bottom