• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Miggytronz

Also on MLG playlist on Reflection, Rockets spawn 3min after start of the game and can be found right where the Bamboo Tree is below Sniper (typical nonMLG spawn).

Gui_PT

Tashi0106 said:
Yea you can only sprint on the initial spawn. Every Respawn has a 5 second Armor Ability delay. I'm ok with it.

It's not bad, I'm just used to being able to sprint as soon as I spawn.

Loving MLG so far

GhaleonEB said:
It's just the second day, but as expected the MLG playlist has drained the Arena playlists. Just 800 players in Team Arena right now.

Yea, MLG replaced Slayer Pro in Halo 3, it's totally unsurprising to see that happening here.

If MLG can't become an arena mode, then it's really shortsighted of bungie.

MrBig

I'm in love with the MLG playlist. Occasionally I'll get matched up with a terrible team, but I haven't gone negative yet. I haven't played Reflection outside of multi team before, and that is a really great map, just like I remember it. Objective is much better than the stock shit.

Blueblur1

electricpirate said:
Yea, MLG replaced Slayer Hardcore in Halo 3, it's totally unsurprising to see that happening here.

If MLG can't become an arena mode, then it's really shortsighted of bungie.
Fixed.

feel

trueskill, do your thing already!!

I'm getting a bit tired of getting matched game after game in MLG against people who quite clearly have nothing going on in their lives other than online Halo.

Miggytronz

Letters said:
trueskill, do your thing already!!

I'm getting a bit tired of getting matched game after game in MLG against people who quite clearly have nothing going on in their lives other than online Halo.

ARMOR LOCK?

Thermite

Letters said:
It slightly fixes Reach for people looking for a purer Halo online experience similar to the one found on the previous 2 games. It's its own separate playlist so I don't see it how affects people who already like the standard game and have a variety of playlists at their disposal. When people say MLG fixed Reach, they obviously mean that they fixed it for them, not for everyone.

This.

CrazedArabMan said:
So MLG in Reach is reminding people of Halo 3? Since my internet sucks and I really can't play until next week, so how does it actually fix Reach for you guys that have played it?

For me, it's just how the combat generally flows during DMR firefights that feels more like Halo 3 and previous Halos. With the speed increase, I can actually get away with doing smaller, quicker strafe movements, and with the jump height increased, jumping after getting tagged with that fourth shot can actually make the difference between you getting killed and surviving. With the default Reach settings, I felt like I was always getting tagged when doing small strafe movements. Same goes for jumping, I hardly ever bothered to jump because it never seemed to make a difference for me.

Tashi0106 said:
Yea I'd say the best part is just how the maps flow. You're jumping in and out of places effortlessly, sprinting into cover things like that. And it's all because of the jump height and movement speed. Also, about Assault, I think Sanctuary has the best settings. You arm and then it blows up in 5 seconds. I believe it takes 3 seconds to disarm so you just have to be right there when it gets armed but most of the time an arm equals a score. On Zealot, there's a detonation timer of 15 seconds. I kind of wish it wasn't that long. However, often you'll spawn under the base or even bottom middle on that map so they give you some time to try to stop it. We'll see what they do. I'm in the camp of the Halo 2 settings though.

Also, there are a ton of gametypes in MLG v2, I haven't played any Oddball yet. Some will stay, some will go and they will probably all get tweaked by the time the first event comes around. Don't get too attached to the gametypes and the exact settings. This is really just a test.

I can't believe so much of HaloGAF likes the MLG settings. Maybe we should do some 4v4 customs on the weekend or whatever. Emphasis on 4v4 lol.

I've only played Assault on Sanctuary so far, Zealot hasn't came up for me yet. I really wish there was just one timer, though. Just 5-10 seconds to arm and then have it detonate or have it be like Halo 3 where you plant as soon as you walk over the designated area and then the countdown timer starts. Having both is a bit much, imo.

Willeth

So having not played it, would it be safe to say that MLG's settings continues the tradition of making the new game play like the previous one?

Thermite said:
With the speed increase, I can actually get away with doing smaller, quicker strafe movements, and with the jump height increased, jumping after getting tagged with that fourth shot can actually make the difference between you getting killed and surviving. With the default Reach settings, I felt like I was always getting tagged when doing small strafe movements. Same goes for jumping, I hardly ever bothered to jump because it never seemed to make a difference for me.
This is exactly why I most likely won't get into MLG. I hated playing Halo 3 with jumpy bastards. A tactical jump to throw off a headshot sure, but I got so pissed off at these 13 year olds who jumped constantly. With Halo 3's jump height they'd jump so gorram high I would lose them, especially in CQC situations. It's my fault at not being better at shutting them down, but it's so foreign from how I have played Halo in the past and how I like to play Halo. I'm thankful that Reach dialed things back much closer to CE's movement attributes.

Not saying you're a jumpy 13 year old bastard.

Striker

Willeth said:
So having not played it, would it be safe to say that MLG's settings continues the tradition of making the new game play like the previous one?
Trying to relate back to Halo 2, me thinks. Halo 2 game speed was pretty fluid and smooth, felt really natural. That's why MLG added speed to Halo 3.

Gui_PT

I think the Jackpot shouldn't be random.

So, I play for over a week straight without quitting and I get no jackpot at all. Someone quits a game, and 2 games after that, they get a jackpot.

That's not even remotely fair. Just define an actual number of required matches without quitting. That way it would be fair.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
I haven't played v2 Reflection so it might still be there. It's where sword spawns on the default. It used to be on Zealot but now it's Evade. Evade is crazy btw. You dive so fucking far.

Yea it's evade now, really the only problem I have with the playlist. Evade makes combat really dumb at times. Perhaps if you could only roll once...

MLG alot of times does strip out what makes a Halo game good, taking out those weapons makes no sense as well as taking out AL, it's taking things out of Reach that shouldn't be taken away, I haven't played enough of the MLG Reach to get a good feeling of it but yeah.. most times I am not a fan.

Well I mean it's a matter of personal preference, but taking those weapons out makes perfect sense, the Shotgun/Sword just promote camping to the max (baffled that the shotgun is still on SB), and AL just brings games to a crawl, completely disrupts game flow and gun battles, and has no place in any type of competitive environment, at least when everyone can use it at the same time. As a pick up, I might see it being ok, but not really.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:

So, I play for over a week straight without quitting and I get no jackpot at all. Someone quits a game, and 2 games after that, they get a jackpot.

That's not even remotely fair. Just define an actual number of required matches without quitting. That way it would be fair.
I'm just curious how it works. Does each game you play increase your odds of getting it, but a quit chops those down? Can you win more than once?

I haven't quit any games in the past two months (and quit one matchmaking game and a couple score attack games outside of that window), and lagged out of one multiplayer matchmaking game a few weeks ago. Other than that I am a good citizen, but I don't know if that one lag out shot my chances. I will plug on, of course.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm just curious how it works. Does each game you play increase your odds of getting it, but a quit chops those down? Can you win more than once?

I haven't quit any games in the past two months (and quit one matchmaking game and a couple score attack games outside of that window), and lagged out of one multiplayer matchmaking game a few weeks ago. Other than that I am a good citizen, but I don't know if that one lag out shot my chances. I will plug on, of course.
I've quit exactly one game in Reach (Score Attack to join a custom game), and I've yet to get this huge jackpot that a lot of other people have talked about getting. Actually, I don't think it was after the time that Bungie announced the big jackpot, but I could be wrong. I guess it will just make me do an even bigger dance when/if I do hit it.

aesop

Gui_PT said:

Seriously. I've seen a jackpot of around 1k credits maybe 3 times since it was introduced and I haven't quit a game in that period of time. Hell, I've only ever quit two games out of ~580 and that was because my entire team quit.

LosDaddie

Banned
Letters said:
It slightly fixes Reach for people looking for a purer Halo online experience similar to the one found on the previous 2 games. It's its own separate playlist so I don't see it how affects people who already like the standard game and have a variety of playlists at their disposal. When people say MLG fixed Reach, they obviously mean that they fixed it for them, not for everyone.

GAF's penchant for hyperbole, I guess.

OTher than some minor adjustments to AL (a charged PP taking it down would be nice), I don't have any problem with Reach's MP. Maybe I'm not 1337 enough though

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Letters said:
I lol'd.

Rest of that I agree with though.

zumphry

Banned
Mikasangelos said:
Im not gonna lie, i actually like the MLG playlist.

Its like Slayer and Swat wrapped in 1. Its quick paced old school fun. MLG feels right. I dunno......you guys agree?

Like I said last night, I'd love to play MLG with you guys but I'd only weigh you down.

Mikasangelos said:
ARMOR LOCK?

3vPmM.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lothars said:
you don't need to find a power weapon to counter AL, it honestly boggles my mind why people have such an problem with AL when it's one of the easiest AA to counter all you have to do is stay out of range and most times get the kill.

I don't have a problem with there being ways to counter AL but bullets should never affect AL and if they do it's going to kill any use of it which makes no sense.

I still think Reach has the best halo multiplayer and I bet you that in time people will realize it because I don't want Reach to become more like the other Halo games in multiplayer but stay the best multiplayer game of the series.

It wouldn't kill any use of it, and if you don't see what I'm explaining well then there is no point.

If you don't think there is an issue with how AL breaks infantry combat, again, there is no point.

Most people here probably agree with most of my post.

Thermite

LosDaddie said:
GAF's penchant for hyperbole, I guess.

OTher than some minor adjustments to AL (a charged PP taking it down would be nice), I don't have any problem with Reach's MP. Maybe I'm not 1337 enough though

Or maybe you're too 1337.

14ttzqe.gif

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

I got it last week. I quit out of a match on purpose (first time I did this, although I've lagged out many times before) and got it at the end of the next game I played.

No idea.

feel

enzo_gt said:
True. Halo is something very different to different groups of people, so that can't possibly ever be correct, but you guys knew what I meant.

Unrelated: Back to playing Halo 3 when alone, the guys in the Reach mlg playlist are just way too good for me, I need to give it some time to allow for these people to rank up.

MrBig

Looking though the matchmaking specifications (what it searches for to find you a match), someone has found entries for DLC. Looks like three packs are planned. No names. They'll probably be Noble 1 (out now), Noble 2, Noble 3.

MrBig said:
Looking though the matchmaking specifications (what it searches for to find you a match), someone has found entries for DLC. Looks like three packs are planned. No names. They'll probably be Noble 1 (out now), Noble 2, Noble 3.
Woah, wait a minute, Bungie are eventually going to release more DLC??

Colour me surprised :p

6 members of Noble Team...?

Hydranockz said:

That would be awesome if they ultimately built up to that many packs but I don't know that they'd make 18.... C'mon, lets try to replicate H2 map pack glory!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
MrBig said:

Source?

Man, the people in the MLG playlist are good, but god are they cranky, whiny bitches. Nearly every game has people quitting, singing, or just being dicks.

Edit: Also, serious love for the Plasma Pistol in MLG. Shit is like a power weapon.

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:

I actually would be surprised, given the hints Bungie has put out.

Is it me or was there no teasing about this DLC pack as with the Halo 3 ones? There was a hint that news would come in the previous BWU, and then, bam.

Striker

It would be disappointing if they only ended up releasing just nine DLC maps. Halo 2 had 11 and Halo 3 had 12. Only would have figured as more games release, we get more map count.

GhaleonEB said:

Is it me or was there no teasing about this DLC pack as with the Halo 3 ones? There was a hint that news would come in the previous BWU, and then, bam.
Well, I mean, look at their pre-launch stance to DLC. It's clear that they have a set plan about things. What the finer details of that plan are remain to be seen but I am going to roll with it either way. I expect a cange in DLC for Reach in the future. Will it be Firefight maps? Perhaps.

At the end of the day, Bungie are just going to play the "We just released the (N-1) DLC. That is our current focus." [where N is the number of the to-be-confirmed DLC release]

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
There needs to be a Noble 777 map pack, with
21 maps all remakes of our favs.

I need to stop with my pipedreams.

Hey You

Hydranockz said:

I really can't see Bungie sticking on the Halo train for 5 more map packs.

GhaleonEB said:

Yeah, it was weird. They just released a news story with pictures and information. Further support the fact that they are ready to jump ship/train/bandwagon etc.

BlueScrote said:
I'm still hoping they add a fair share of forge maps to the playlists.

Lockout/Blackout Remake
If we're talking about as pixel-perfect remake as you can get, that'd be pretty hard to do. Of all the Lockout remakes I've downloaded, all of them have had framerate problems.

GhaleonEB

BlueScrote said:
I'm still hoping they add a fair share of forge maps to the playlists.
I'm looking forward to that a great deal. From the the last BWU, it sounds like more than one from each category will work its way in. That would go a long ways. I think some great BTB maps might come out of it.

Top Bottom