• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
I just slept for 14 hours straight.

What happened?

MLG made Reach awesome.

Ramirez said:
I need to send the MLG guys a donation check, they've totally salvaged this unplayable mess. Bloom is a lot less infuriating when you can actually...strafe to avoid shots, make jumps you could in Halo 3, not have to worry about some noob rushing you for the melee, etc. etc. etc. SO FREAKING GOOD, it actually feels like I'm playing a Halo game.

Seriously, I know Bungie won't swallow their pride or anything and change stuff like movement speed, but the least you could do is implement every single one of MLGs map/gametype changes, they are SO much better than the stock gametypes/maps. I know the playlist will start reaming me in a few days when my trueskill gets up, but whatever.

I thought I was crazy when I noticed that.

Spamming the DMR will get you jack shit in MLG.

feel

Speaking of mlg, weren't they supposed to have a number of original forge maps on their playlist? I only saw Sanctuary during the 2 or 3 hours I played last night.

Miggytronz

Im not gonna lie, i actually like the MLG playlist.

Its like Slayer and Swat wrapped in 1. Its quick paced old school fun. MLG feels right. I dunno......you guys agree?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:
Speaking of mlg, weren't they supposed to have a number of original forge maps on their playlist? I only saw Sanctuary during the 2 or 3 hours I played last night.

I saw Zealot on there too, them kids know all kinds of switchbacks to flank, uhg.

This playlist is going to make people better players just because they will be forced to learn to play better.

Mikasangelos said:
Im not gonna lie, i actually like the MLG playlist.

Its like Slayer and Swat wrapped in 1. Its quick paced old school fun. MLG feels right. I dunno......you guys agree?

Yep, now it just needs more maps.

aesop

Looks like I'm gonna be in the minority here, so all the usual 'this is just my opinion' caveats apply.

So, I played a few games in the MLG playlist last night and I don't think it's for me. I'll have to give it a few more games to really make up my mind, but first taste was sour. I'm not a competitive type player and my skill level is average at best. It just didn't feel as fun as Team Slayer with default Reach settings (yes, even with AL).

I can definitely see why the dongers like it, though. It's Halo stripped down to its (hard)core.

All in all, if it brings people back to Reach, then it's a huge win.

Lothars

aesop said:
Looks like I'm gonna be in the minority here, so all the usual 'this is just my opinion' caveats apply.

So, I played a few games in the MLG playlist last night and I don't think it's for me. I'll have to give it a few more games to really make up my mind, but first taste was sour. I'm not a competitive type player and my skill level is average at best. It just didn't feel as fun as Team Slayer with default Reach settings (yes, even with AL).

I can definitely see why the dongers like it, though. It's Halo stripped down to its (hard)core.

All in all, if it brings people back to Reach, then it's a huge win.

I agree with you fully plus I don't think we are in the minority, It's good it's bringing it back people to reach but I have never felt that MLG playlists bring out the full Halo Experience but than again I really like Reach's Multiplayer and think it's just as good as Halo 3 if not better.

Arnie

Mikasangelos said:
I honestly believe that if BUNGIE implemented the MLG tweaks to all other playlist this game would fucking rock.
Pretty much.

The sad thing is a lot of the damage has already been done. Many of my friends who were huge Halo 3 players have abandoned Reach for a myriad of reasons, many of which are remedied to an extent in MLG.

The MLG playlist just proves what I've been saying for a while, that the core game settings for Reach damage the gameplay in a huge way.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You know how they could fix armor lock?

Make bullets still do damage, but explosions and vehicles still react the same. (bounce off or blow up)

Would make sense since a spartan locking his armor is supposed to absorb shock, not stop a pointy projectile from puncturing his armor.

This way it could be still used as it was showcased, but not be completely broken.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:

Make bullets still do damage, but explosions and vehicles still react the same. (bounce off or blow up)

Would make sense since a spartan locking his armor is supposed to absorb shock, not stop a pointy projectile from puncturing his armor.

This way it could be still used as it was showcased, but not be completely broken.
I've a laundry list of changes I'd like to see to it, but one is I'd like it if a PP overcharge shorted it out. Get tagged while armor locking, have to wait for it to recharge before you can use it again. That way it has a counter.

Miggytronz

Alienshogun said:

IMO Armor Lock should work like a EMP blast but the blast shouldnt knock shields off just maybe blow people away from said person. like it should only last 1-2 seconds. on a 10 second refresh.

Ghaleon: I too agree that a charged Plasma should knock it off.

vhfive said:
the campaign is easily the best of the series
to bad the multiplayer is the worst
but I'll continue to play it anyways

Yeah. If the mp had been better it would have automatically been my GOTY.

GhaleonEB said:
I've a laundry list of changes I'd like to see to it, but one is I'd like it if a PP overcharge shorted it out. Get tagged while armor locking, have to wait for it to recharge before you can use it again. That way it has a counter.
Add the secondary fire of the Grenade Launcher into the list of yours and Alienshogun's and I think we'd have a more legitimate AA.

Lothars

GhaleonEB said:

I agree with you that a charged up Plasma and a tag should disable armor lock but I don't agree that bullets should affect Armor Lock, it should be the same way it is but have options to knock someone out of it.

GhaleonEB

Lothars said:
I agree with you that a charged up Plasma and a tag should disable armor lock but I don't agree that bullets should affect Armor Lock, it should be the same way it is but have options to knock someone out of it.
Yeah, that would be fine with me. I'm not opposed to AL in concept, just the implementation. If I had my druthers - I'm not sure what those are, but I'm reasonably sure I don't have them - I would make the following tweaks:

Give it a counter (charged grenade launcher round, PP overcharge.
Don't kill vehicles - stop and/or vault them over the top.
Don't shed sticky grenades.
One-time use before recharge.

I'd be happy. It would still be useful without being the end-all that it is.

Shit, we're on AL discussion. Um, nice Challenges today. Knocked off the FF one before work. I'll be a Colonel before the end of the day tomorrow.

Thermite

Tashi0106 said:
How are you liking MLG Therm?

I'm liking it a lot. I wouldn't think that increasing the movement speed and jump height would make that much of a difference for me, but it does. It reminds me of Halo 3 when I'm playing - which is a good thing. The armor abilities as pickups work way better than I thought they would when I first heard about it. The maps and weapon placements seem to be fine, as well. I don't know if I like Assault yet, though. Having a countdown timer to plant the bomb and then having another one for the bomb to go off seems a bit redundant. I haven't messed much with custom games and their settings, so I don't know if you can change that setting or not, but if you could, one timer is really all that's necessary, imo.

The playlist is definitely going to make me pop in Reach a lot more than I was before.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
MLG is indeed pretty cool, but i'm worried playing it will screw with my default halo skills where i'll spend the majority of my gaming, in every other playlist. i'm not as adaptable as i used to be.

their sanctuary is loads better then bungie's though :D

So MLG in Reach is reminding people of Halo 3? Since my internet sucks and I really can't play until next week, so how does it actually fix Reach for you guys that have played it?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lothars said:

The problem is every other AA is counterable without having to find a power weapon.

AL's biggest issue is that it breaks infantry combat, especially when you have an entire team abusing it.

Armor lock should never have been allowed to stop bullets; grenades/rockets fine, vehicles most definitely, but the fact that it makes infantry combat frustrating and is not on par with other AAs (all having counters from spawn) makes it broken.

You shouldn't have to hope you can find a power weapon to counter someone else's SPAWNING ability, then hope there isn't more than one guy with AL in the encounter.

I agree with a EMP disabling it though, but I also think an EMP should drain all of your remaining AA ability and disable jetpack. I also believe getting shot in the front should stop sprint.

feel

LosDaddie said:
So the MLG playlist "fixed" the MP? How?

I love the Reach MP how it is.
It slightly fixes Reach for people looking for a purer Halo online experience similar to the one found on the previous 2 games. It's its own separate playlist so I don't see it how affects people who already like the standard game and have a variety of playlists at their disposal. When people say MLG fixed Reach, they obviously mean that they fixed it for them, not for everyone.

aDDiKt24

Banned
WOW! I have never been a fan of MLG. Always thought it was straight up Team slayer (MLG). I hated it in Halo 2 and 3. I dont need to go into detail its just that it wasn't my sort of thing. Im loving the objective based MLG games.

Playing the MLG playlist in Reach. Do you know what makes all the difference? Its the spawns. How refreshing it is to actually spawn on/in your own base side. It makes it feel like an actual base which can be attacked and defended properly. Bungie needs to take out the neutral spawns from all maps and implement these types of spawns.

I struggled against the skilled players I was being matched up against but I wasn't frustrated by getting spawn killed or any other weaknesses in the maps. It was simply they were outplaying me, which is a refreshing change and much needed for Halo:Reach.

I wont go as far as saying it has saved Reach. Yes, its a great playlist which shows how some maps can be played with a little tweaking. But me, Im a vehicle man and I know I love the big maps and BTB will always pull me back for the sheer fun of it all.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thermite said:
I'm liking it a lot. I wouldn't think that increasing the movement speed and jump height would make that much of a difference for me, but it does. It reminds me of Halo 3 when I'm playing - which is a good thing. The armor abilities as pickups work way better than I thought they would when I first heard about it. The maps and weapon placements seem to be fine, as well. I don't know if I like Assault yet, though. Having a countdown timer to plant the bomb and then having another one for the bomb to go off seems a bit redundant. I haven't messed much with custom games and their settings, so I don't know if you can change that setting or not, but if you could, one timer is really all that's necessary, imo.

The playlist is definitely going to make me pop in Reach a lot more than I was before.

Yea I'd say the best part is just how the maps flow. You're jumping in and out of places effortlessly, sprinting into cover things like that. And it's all because of the jump height and movement speed. Also, about Assault, I think Sanctuary has the best settings. You arm and then it blows up in 5 seconds. I believe it takes 3 seconds to disarm so you just have to be right there when it gets armed but most of the time an arm equals a score. On Zealot, there's a detonation timer of 15 seconds. I kind of wish it wasn't that long. However, often you'll spawn under the base or even bottom middle on that map so they give you some time to try to stop it. We'll see what they do. I'm in the camp of the Halo 2 settings though.

Also, there are a ton of gametypes in MLG v2, I haven't played any Oddball yet. Some will stay, some will go and they will probably all get tweaked by the time the first event comes around. Don't get too attached to the gametypes and the exact settings. This is really just a test.

I can't believe so much of HaloGAF likes the MLG settings. Maybe we should do some 4v4 customs on the weekend or whatever. Emphasis on 4v4 lol.

Ramirez

Dax01 said:
no no no no no

You must have hated the past Halo games then.

What's funny about people saying MLG strips the game of what makes Halo, Halo is silly. The playlist has armor abilities and it has a plethora of gametypes. The only thing it takes away is stupid weapons like the sword, shotgun, & needler, oh and AL. Actually AL was a pickup on one of the old maps, I don't know if it still exists any where. The grenade launcher on Zealot is awesome.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
aDDiKt24 said:
WOW! I have never been a fan of MLG. Always thought it was straight up Team slayer (MLG). I hated it in Halo 2 and 3. I dont need to go into detail its just that it wasn't my sort of thing. Im loving the objective based MLG games.

Playing the MLG playlist in Reach. Do you know what makes all the difference? Its the spawns. How refreshing it is to actually spawn on/in your own base side. It makes it feel like an actual base which can be attacked and defended properly. Bungie needs to take out the neutral spawns from all maps and implement these types of spawns.

I struggled against the skilled players I was being matched up against but I wasn't frustrated by getting spawn killed or any other weaknesses in the maps. It was simply they were outplaying me, which is a refreshing change and much needed for Halo:Reach.

I wont go as far as saying it has saved Reach. Yes, its a great playlist which shows how some maps can be played with a little tweaking. But me, Im a vehicle man and I know I love the big maps and BTB will always pull me back for the sheer fun of it all.

i must say though, spawning with an empty AA (sprint), kinda blows. if you do happen to have a bad spawn, like out in the open somewhere, you arent able to instantly sprint to the safety of cover

Tashi

Ramirez said:

What's funny about people saying MLG strips the game of what makes Halo, Halo is silly. The playlist has armor abilities and it has a plethora of gametypes. The only thing it takes away is stupid weapons like the sword, shotgun, & needler, oh and AL. Actually AL was a pickup on one of the old maps, I don't know if it still exists any where. The grenade launcher on Zealot is awesome.

I haven't played v2 Reflection so it might still be there. It's where sword spawns on the default. It used to be on Zealot but now it's Evade. Evade is crazy btw. You dive so fucking far.

Miggytronz

Tashi0106 said:
I haven't played v2 Reflection so it might still be there. It's where sword spawns on the default. It used to be on Zealot but now it's Evade. Evade is crazy btw. You dive so fucking far.

evade is insanity.

Striker

LosDaddie said:
So the MLG playlist "fixed" the MP? How?

I love the Reach MP how it is.
Lot of people who love/want back Halo 3's mechanics. I found general Halo 3 gameplay fairly boring - both in gunplay and movement. Halo 3 MLG was more fun, but it was more difficult to play because you needed a multitude of players not being terrible.

Reason why I have thoroughly enjoyed Reach and Halo 2 far more than Halo 3, even if I'm by myself.

Oozer3993

I made a very nice home in Team Hardcore in Halo 2 and had plenty of fun in the MLG playlist in Halo 3, but I flat out hated the games I played in the Reach MLG playlist last night.

Lazslo

Dax01 said:
no no no no no
I'm witth you bro, the older I get- the more I like that needler and AR. Unless they bring back the H2 BR, I'll be playing silly-Halo more often then Tashi-Halo.

I really love and miss that H2 BR.

Lothars

Alienshogun said:
The problem is every other AA is counterable without having to find a power weapon.

AL's biggest issue is that it breaks infantry combat, especially when you have an entire team abusing it.

Armor lock should never have been allowed to stop bullets; grenades/rockets fine, vehicles most definitely, but the fact that it makes infantry combat frustrating and is not on par with other AAs (all having counters from spawn) makes it broken.

You shouldn't have to hope you can find a power weapon to counter someone else's SPAWNING ability, then hope there isn't more than one guy with AL in the encounter.

I agree with a EMP disabling it though, but I also think an EMP should drain all of your remaining AA ability and disable jetpack. I also believe getting shot in the front should stop sprint.

you don't need to find a power weapon to counter AL, it honestly boggles my mind why people have such an problem with AL when it's one of the easiest AA to counter all you have to do is stay out of range and most times get the kill.

I don't have a problem with there being ways to counter AL but bullets should never affect AL and if they do it's going to kill any use of it which makes no sense.

I still think Reach has the best halo multiplayer and I bet you that in time people will realize it because I don't want Reach to become more like the other Halo games in multiplayer but stay the best multiplayer game of the series.

GhaleonEB

I'm reading through the current MLG Reach settings, and I was surprised to see that there's no pistol as secondary. When Reach came out I thought for sure they would be DMR/Nerfle starts with pistol secondary; it's a similar enough weapon but with circumstantial advantages and disadvantages. Seems like a good fit for MLG. Does anyone know if/when they explained the settings? I'd like to read up on reasoning; it's not on the rules page.

Arnie

Mikasangelos said:
evade is insanity.
evade is orgasmic
GhaleonEB said:
I'm reading through the current MLG Reach settings, and I was surprised to see that there's no pistol as secondary. When Reach came out I thought for sure they would be DMR/Nerfle starts with pistol secondary; it's a similar enough weapon but with circumstantial advantages and disadvantages. Seems like a good fit for MLG. Does anyone know if/when they explained the settings? I'd like to read up on reasoning; it's not on the rules page.
I'd imagine it's to emphasize the importance of using your shots efficiently, rather than spamming off a clip with the DMR in the safe knowledge that you can switch to the pistol for an easy backup. Reloading is an important skill, timing it well so you aren't caught with your pants down is key, and if you come across someone in combat who overestimated the shallowness of his clip then it's joyous just wiping him out as he reloads.

I've picked up the pistol on occasion, but I'm glad it's not as ubiquitous as the DMR for the above reasons, I want people to have to think about how many shots they have in the clip.

I'm not a detractor of vanilla Reach by any means, I enjoy it quite a lot, but I must say that I'm liking MLG Halo Reach. landing a headshot with the DMR becomes way more satisfying. I didn't even suck quite as bad as I did ( I was expecting to be bottom of the barrel in every game, I was only bottom in half of the ones i played).

I wouldn't mind the movement settings, the Zealot variant, or the reflection variant in the arena one bit. The reflection variant especially as the Sniper and jetpack positions play out REALLY well, and make the combat more varied.

I prefer standard asylum and countdown though.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some of the settings brought to other gametypes, even if they aren't official MLG stuffs.

GhaleonEB said:

Yea, I agree with this. There were a few times where I tried to go to the pistol in my pocket after a long DMR battle, or when I was just missing it in a CQB fight. It's a pickup on zealot, not sure about other maps.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the melee change, though with the higher speed I could see double melees being too prevalent.

Lothars

Ramirez said:

MLG alot of times does strip out what makes a Halo game good, taking out those weapons makes no sense as well as taking out AL, it's taking things out of Reach that shouldn't be taken away, I haven't played enough of the MLG Reach to get a good feeling of it but yeah.. most times I am not a fan.

GhaleonEB

It's just the second day, but as expected the MLG playlist has drained the Arena playlists. Just 800 players in Team Arena right now.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Nick from our Test team wanted me to clarify some full party boosting parameters for you. Seems we might have made it sound like you don't have to worry about being caught in our net of online justice as long as you're behavior is contained to a party full of players. It's actually not that simple. Here's the full story:

OKAY: Full Party Boosting

Playing with a full group where nobody is idle and everyone is running around getting kills, headshots, sticks, and sweet rejections. Nobody is AFK.

NOT OKAY - Idle Boosting

Getting into a full or partial party with guests or other Gold accounts who are not manned in order to kill AFKs. Also not acceptable is having EVERYONE AFK to attempt to get Credits for time played.

Got it? Good. As always, more nefarious behavior such as network manipulation is right out. The Banhammer catches that kind of behavior in its sleep - and it is always cranky first thing in the morning. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Thank you for your time and attention.
:D

Tashi

GhaleonEB said:
It's just the second day, but as expected the MLG playlist has drained the Arena playlists. Just 800 players in Team Arena right now.

With the MLG playlist out I don't see a reason to ever go back to Arena.

Tashi

Gui_PT said:
Just tried MLG. Pretty cool, but why can't I sprint as soon as I spawn? =\

Yea you can only sprint on the initial spawn. Every Respawn has a 5 second Armor Ability delay. I'm ok with it.

Top Bottom