• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So everyone excited about the Halo 4 and Bungie Aerospace reveals tonight? :D

Domino Theory said:
It's as random as bloom.

When you figure out bloom, you get the Jackpot.

Hot Potato Explosions per minute divided by Jackpot Bonus per 1000 games = Average Mitigation Percentage per shot for the DMR

Easy.

Gui_PT

Dani said:

What is this? When will it happen? Which plane ticket should I buy?

Seriously now. Know when a stream of that will be up?(I assume there'll be a stream)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Gui_PT said:
What is this? When will it happen? Which plane ticket should I buy?

Seriously now. Know when a stream of that will be up?(I assume there'll be a stream)

I would stream it but my set up has changed and so now I can't :(((((( Sowwy

There have got to be other streams on JTV though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dani said:

Hot Potato Explosions per minute divided by Jackpot Bonus per 1000 games = Average Mitigation Percentage per shot for the DMR

Easy.

You know, I would laugh this off, but too many of them are out there for it to just be to attend the show. Perhaps I am just over rationalizing what I want myself to believe though.

Gui_PT said:
That's fine, no worries.

I did noticed some changes in your setup. Looked nice. What did you change?

Whatever he did, it doesn't stutter anymore.

Gui_PT

Tashi0106 said:
I would stream it but my set up has changed and so now I can't :(((((( Sowwy

There have got to be other streams on JTV though.

That's fine, no worries.

Zeouterlimits said:
I can hook a brother up: http://atdhe.net/watchtv.html
A backup would be a good idea.

Many thank youz.

Btw, thinking about playing a few games in a short while. Anyone interested?

MrBig

Arnie said:
Yea, add me to the list of people who want to play MLG with Tashi. We should make a little organised Gaf squad, I reckon we could do some damage. I remember playing the TJ's during the beta, I think they beat us by about one kill but I was pleased with my personal performance, didn't think much of theirs.
I think thats 4 people then

Dax01 said:
So the VGAs are on tonight? What time?
8 est I believe, which is same time as customs.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Well the reason I can't stream from my cable box anymore is that I moved my hardware. I can't really run a composite cable across the room. I mean, I could but that's ridiculous.

However, the stream doesn't stutter anymore because I tweaked the settings in the software. I have a really old laptop that's pretty weak sauce. I changed the input and output resolutions. The input resolution was 640x480 and I cut it in half. 320X240. The output resolution was 400X224. A smaller, widescreen resolution. That probably wasn't the greatest idea because the image became distorted and stretched but it did fill the screen nicely. The ouput resolution is now 320X240. My laptop has a MUCH easier time processing the image and honestly, aside from the black bars on the side, it doesn't look all that bad.

I'm very thankful for the feed back though. It's tough for me to see exactly how my stream is running on JTV while I'm actually streaming. I'm glad it's much more stable though, hopefully I'll start to get the viewers back like I used to lol

Gui_PT said:
That's fine, no worries.

Many thank youz.

Btw, thinking about playing a few games in a short while. Anyone interested?
I'll be on in a few minutes!

Arnie

MrBig said:
I think thats 4 people then
The perfect number to dong.

I think it would be asking too much to see anything of Bungie's next project tonight, which I assume is linked to Aerospace. I would also punt at 343's project being saved until E3.

Sai-kun

Banned
Mush said:
Sai-kun, I asked in the Reach W7 theme thread, but who is that in your avatar?

OMNOMNOMNOM

(please don't tell me she's from the "creepy" thread...)

Her name is Chantal Claret, lead singer of the awesome pop-rock band Morningwood :D I <3 her!

MrBig

Arnie said:

I think it would be asking too much to see anything of Bungie's next project tonight, which I assume is linked to Aerospace. I would also punt at 343's project being saved until E3.
They said we'd hear something about it soon, maybe its possible.

Arnie said:

Dani was just joking.

Arnie said:

Whoa. You changed your avatar. This is gonna take some getting use to.

Dax01 said:
Really hope we hear of a title update come January. 80% of my games I go into black screen at one point or another.
It's gotten so much better for me, almost to the point where it's not an issue for me, almost a complete 180.

Hey You

Alienshogun said:
You know, I would laugh this off, but too many of them are out there for it to just be to attend the show. Perhaps I am just over rationalizing what I want myself to believe though.
I thought only a handful went out there. And Reach is up for 7 awards so...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:
Really hope we hear of a title update come January. 80% of my games I go into black screen at one point or another.

It's not a black screen or even host migration break. It's the game recalculating bloom. Ever wondered why you can't figure out bloom - that's why.

Arnie

Dax01 said:
Whoa. You changed your avatar. This is gonna take some getting use to.
I know bro, feels odd not seeing that tasty beverage, but I put my club before my drink. I see you're still sticking with good old Soph'.
MrBig said:
They said we'd hear something about it soon, maybe its possible.
Choo Choo! But seriously, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. I wouldn't expect anything from them anytime soon.

How many of them are there? I suppose Reach must be up for a few awards so their presence can be easily explained.
Dani said:
It's not a black screen or even host migration break. It's the game recalculating bloom. Ever wondered why you can't figure out bloom - that's why.
:lol

Bregmann Roche said:
It's gonna be HAWT Yo!

Anybody (besides Ghal) ever go into Forge and just start screwing around only to look at the clock and realize you've been randomly piecing virtual building blocks together for an hour with no actual plan?

Good times(ink)!
Besides freezing myself in carbonite, messing around in forge is the best way to lose huge chunks of time. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
I've been chipping away at Commendations lately, as much as Challenges. And my bane is the Perfectionist in Firefight, beating a Round without dying. I have knack for that one, random WTF death in Score Attack, usually right at the very end. Just now I got all the way through a game, took out the last Elite - who had a Plasma Launcher - thinking I had dodged its fire. And I last all the way until the credits pop up in the corner, and then explode. A plasma round had stuck to my ankle as I dodged around it.

46/50, still.

#$%&!@
Oh, just you wait until after you get that first commendation. I was sooo pissed to see how many you had to win to get to the next level.

BTW - I'll always be up for some FF, so please hit me up. I hate Rocket Fight.

BlueScrote said:
People that quit based on the gametype need to die in a fire. Its people like you that ruin it for the rest of your team.

I have to admit, I will sometimes quit if Elite Slayer is chosen. Honestly I'm probably helping my team because I refuse to use Armor Lock, so I end up getting killed faster than most other players.

GhaleonEB

A while back someone posted a link to a site that was tracking all of the Challenges so far. It was a wikipedia-type entry. I thought it was Halopedia, but it's not there. Anyone know where it is?

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
I think it was me.

I posted a link from here: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Challenges

Doesn't seem to have been updated in a while though
Thanks. Too bad it's not up to date or complete, I was going do to a little organization of them in spreadsheet form. Oh well.

I bet every day's worth of Challenges has been posted in the Reach threads, though. Maybe if I'm bored tomorrow I'll dig some out. :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. Too bad it's not up to date or complete, I was going do to a little organization of them in spreadsheet form. Oh well.

I bet every day's worth of Challenges has been posted in the Reach threads, though. Maybe if I'm bored tomorrow I'll dig some out. :lol

No need.

http://www.halopedian.com/Challenges

The staff stopped updating Halopedia when they moved to Halopedian. I've been keeping tabs on the challenges for a feature for FUD so I was glad to see the records being kept. I was thinking of maybe keeping a backup on the data on FUD at some point.

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:

Dani pointed to the new Halopedia entry, but we've got a simpler version, if you want:

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php

kylej

Banned
Dax01 said:

That's only because the game just launched. Wait a few months and I'm sure it will get better.

Kujo

Anyone know if there are any vehicles to destroy in the single Score Attack (Sniper/Mythic/etc) modes? Trying to get the commendation for it, it's my lowest one, when I play regular Firefight though it's a race to see who can destroy them first

Zennshi

Neo Member
Mojo said:
Anyone know if there are any vehicles to destroy in the single Score Attack (Sniper/Mythic/etc) modes? Trying to get the commendation for it, it's my lowest one, when I play regular Firefight though it's a race to see who can destroy them first
I cant remember any Vehicles in Scoreattack , but i'm not 100 % sure.
Haven't played much Mythic.

Hey You

Played my first game of MLG. Only went positive 9. It was sorta fun. It was on Sanctuary. I like it better when its walled in over whats in MM currently.

GhaleonEB

Code:
Challenge                                       cR      Date

Complete Nightfall on Legendary without dying. 	4000	17-Oct-10
Complete Nightfall on Legendary without dying. 	1250	5-Nov-10
Complete Nightfall on Legendary without dying. 	5000	11-Dec-10
Dani said:
Disparity? In the Challenges? Get outta here.
Yeah. I'm not looking through them to pick nits, but for another reason. But since that one came up today, and I knew it had before, I looked to see if the cR was constant. I was surprised at the 1250 cR one.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
Code:
Challenge                                       cR      Date

Complete Nightfall on Legendary without dying. 	4000	17-Oct-10
Complete Nightfall on Legendary without dying. 	1250	5-Nov-10
Complete Nightfall on Legendary without dying. 	5000	11-Dec-10

Disparity? In the Challenges? Get outta here.

Sibylus

Banned
Just read this in the article:

Digital Foundry: The screen-space ambient occlusion (SSAO) seems to conveniently take the place of shadowmaps for objects that are further out compared to objects closer to the screen. Is that intentional, a coincidence, or just part of the algorithm?

Chris Tchou: The AO replacing the shadow-map is just a happy coincidence, but we'll take advantage of it, intentional or not. The algorithm is actually a heavily modified and optimised form of HDAO, so it's naturally a screen-space effect: the ambient shadow is a constant size, in screen pixels, no matter how far away you are. This means objects that are far away appear to have large AO shadows, and the nearby ones have only a slight contact shadow near their feet. The artists preferred the look over constant world-size shadows, and it was also more efficient, so we killed two birds with one stone.

I loved the effect this had on far away enemies, the "light depression" they'd make increased their visibility and added a nice accent to scenes.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
matchmaking load failures in the dlc playlists.... a bug, or have people found a way to screw with the loading to get more favorable maps?

Top Bottom