• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Whats up with playlist manager? Did they hire Shishka?

OHNOES.gif

minasodaboy said:
good luck kid...your ride here's about to get bumpy.

Prince. hmmmmm

Luken

minasodaboy said:
good luck kid...your ride here's about to get bumpy.

With armor lock you're temporarily invincible against all threats. I survived grenades, rockt launcher missiles, banshees, etc... Playing with teams this power is even better, because your enemy stand still waiting your armor lock to be over, than your teammate surprise him from behind.

I had most fun using armor lock.

My only problem is that you can't sprint and use another power at the same time. Sprint should be standard.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Luken said:
With armor lock you're temporarily invincible against all threats. I survived grenades, rockt launcher missiles, banshees, etc... Playing with teams this power is even better, because your enemy stand still waiting your armor lock to be over, than your teammate surprise him from behind.

i'm sure you did, while the people you were playing with were smashing controllers and popping blood vessels

Luken said:

My only problem is that you can't sprint and use another power at the same time. Sprint should be standard.
Dude! You're the problem of the game, because you use it. That is the reason, why Armor Lock should be out of the game. It is still over-powered and annoying.

feel

Luken said:
Hello HaloGAFers.

I'm new to Halo Reach and multiplayer games, add me as your friend please.

I'm having to much fun playing Big team Battle. Last night was awsome.
I feel like I'm a marine fighting a war on a battlefield, people communicate and form strategies to win. Armor lock is the best power, even against vehicles. Some guy tried to run me over with his warthog and I used the armor lock at the last minute, I felt like Superman- the man of steel in that moment.

The best thing is that I can play with and against people from other countries, and talk to them while playing.

Let's play together.

My gamertag: LukenCortez51
Luken said:

2qi5s2v.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Would there be that much of a problem if armor lock's cooldown was completely depleted on use (instead of staggering based on time spent in it), and it only lasted 1.5 seconds?

Lyphen said:
Would there be that much of a problem if armor lock's cooldown was completely depleted on use (instead of staggering based on time spent in it), and it only lasted 1.5 seconds?
Armor Lock should be disable with a loaded Plasma pistol shot. The player shouldn't survive 3+ grenades. And it shouldn't survive a Rocket Launcher missile or 3+ Plasma Launcher shots. In my opinion... Or it should be taken out of my Reach.

Booties

Banned
Time to play all day boys. Send Booties a message

A27_StarWolf said:
lgmpp50212+punching-the-ground-from-marvel-comics-iron-man-mini-poster.jpg

Tony Stark uses Armor Lock
Tony stark is also the creation of the fattest nerd in the world. Rich, good looking, witty/charming, fucks 50 playmates a year. Yeah, what desperate basement dweller wrote Iron Man?
I fucking love iron man

Lyphen said:
When I stick someone, I want it to be a guaranteed kill.

I think Armor Lock basically needs to be like shielding in Super Smash Bros.--that is, you can use it offhandedly to block projectiles and stuff, but actual melee attacks will knock you out of it (and possibly make you stumble like in Left 4 Dead if something explodes and knocks you away), but if you're just holding it down it'll eventually overload your shielding and make you wait 10 seconds for your shields to recharge or a similar number. Additionally, "power locking" wouldn't just be absorbing a bullet or rocket--it would actually be done at the time it hits you, deflecting it like a gravity hammer.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hypertrooper said:
Armor Lock should be disable with a loaded Plasma pistol shot. The player shouldn't survive 3+ grenades. And it shouldn't survive a Rocket Launcher missile or 3+ Plasma Launcher shots. In my opinion... Or it should be taken out of my Reach.
I think it could be an interesting clutch ability if it didn't last as long, and couldn't be spammed over a short period. I like seeing the odd armor lock vehicle destruction and ordinance immunity. What I don't like seeing is a full six seconds hiding out until either backup appears or grenades are already spent.

Dax01 said:
When I stick someone, I want it to be a guaranteed kill.
What's the arming time on a plasma grenade? And would a 1.5-2 second armor lock length be alright compromise to gauge your next attack, instead of a long window?

wwm0nkey

Ok how many of you would get super hyped if....

Halo: Anniversary which includes Halo: CE remastered and a token for Halo 2 on XBLA and beta access to a whole new un-announced Halo game.

Luken said:

To be fair, armor lock in BTB against vehicles is fun in a H3 beta trip mine sort of way.

That doesn't make up for the annoyance of it throughout the rest of Reach though.

wwm0nkey said:
Ok how many of you would get super hyped if....

Halo: Anniversary which includes Halo: CE remastered and a token for Halo 2 on XBLA and beta access to a whole new un-announced Halo game.
My mind would say: Damn I have to buy Ice-Cream for wwm0nkey. oh no I don't need to, he already made some ice-cream in his pants.

Kuroyume

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Reach added precision but made that precision dependent on firing speed, and the effect is to grant the DMR and Nerfle at least 2x the range the BR had. There are a lot of people here that think that's a good thing, but it does enormous damage to Reach's combat, by pushing players further apart and making open spaces on maps much less usable. Hemorrhage would be a viable map with BRs. With the DMR it's a disaster. If the DMR were in Halo 3, we'd be able to sit back at the bases on Valhalla and take out players on the center hill with ease; it would wreak the map. It would wreak most Halo 2 and Halo 3 maps, actually. It has that effect on Reach all over the place.

The burst and spread fire of the BR was a deliberate effort to limit the range of the weapon and prevent that problem. Reach fixed that "problem" by adding another and in the process hurting combat even more. I'll take the burst spread of the BR any day over Reach's constant long-range popgun fights. It's one of the main reasons I don't like Reach's MP combat.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Hemmorhage doesn't work because it's so ugly and depressing compared to Coag that you don't want to play it. Also, it doesn't help that they made the map like two times bigger so moving across it with Reach's retarded slow base speed makes you somewhat of a sitting duck. The DMR is a fantastic weapon. Just because you get killed all the time from miles away with the DMR doesn't mean the DMR sucks it just means you suck because you can't kill the person from a mile away.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
My mind would say: Damn I have to buy Ice-Cream for wwm0nkey. oh no I don't need to, he already made some ice-cream in his pants.
Nah I think I would still take the ice-cream, just as long as it is not the pants variety :lol

wwm0nkey

Booties said:
Looks like I can't load forge world maps anymore. Oh glorious day. Time to buy a new disc I guess.
Hey if you have The Orange Box I will trade you my new copy of Halo: Reach i got from getting the HTC trophy for it :D

Edit: thinking about it I have gotten 2 copies of Halo: Reach for free, one from the dashboard test and now one from buying a phone lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kuroyume said:

Hemmorhage doesn't work because it's so ugly and depressing compared to Coag that you don't want to play it. Also, it doesn't help that they made the map like two times bigger so moving across it with Reach's retarded slow base speed makes you somewhat of a sitting duck. The DMR is a fantastic weapon. Just because you get killed all the time from miles away with the DMR doesn't mean the DMR sucks it just means you suck because you can't kill the person from a mile away.

If you going to ignore the central argument a person is making, why even bother to reply?

Bullet spread > Bloom

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
If you going to ignore the central argument a person is making, why even bother to reply?

Bullet spread > Bloom
And aside from that, it was just a dumb post, which I usually ignore, but I'm grouchy today so what the hell:

Hemmorhage doesn't work because it's so ugly and depressing compared to Coag that you don't want to play it.
I think Hemmorhage is gorgeous.

Also, it doesn't help that they made the map like two times bigger so moving across it with Reach's retarded slow base speed makes you somewhat of a sitting duck.
The geometry is taken from Coagulation; it's the same map.

The DMR is a fantastic weapon.
Compelling counter argument!

Just because you get killed all the time from miles away with the DMR doesn't mean the DMR sucks it just means you suck because you can't kill the person from a mile away.
I have a positive DMR K/D, both overall and in BTB. Not that it matters, since I wasn't posting about my (decidedly average) skill level. I was posting about how the DMR has a much longer range than the BR - which is undoubtedly true.

Booties

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Rent/borrow, save to hard drive, return disc.

Yeah I'll do that. I forgot to save it to my new xbox's hard drive back in December. I may just buy a new one anyway though because the cd is kind of spiderweb-shattering in the center most ring. Kind of discerning when that's inside my box.

There is a blockbuster going out of business. do they still have games? I haven't rented a video game since Chrono Trigger. Also, halo reach is 50% on amazon, plus free shipping if you have prime (which I do). I'll just buy it because I'm lazy. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BSA20M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

wwm0nkey said:
Hey if you have The Orange Box I will trade you my new copy of Halo: Reach i got from getting the HTC trophy for it :D

Edit: thinking about it I have gotten 2 copies of Halo: Reach for free, one from the dashboard test and now one from buying a phone lol

I have the orange box, but I can't find it. TBH I'd rather keep it to play some half life on a rainy day.

Lyphen said:
What's the arming time on a plasma grenade? And would a 1.5-2 second armor lock length be alright compromise to gauge your next attack, instead of a long window?
Longer than it takes for someone to get into armor lock. Me, I think AAs went a little overboard with continuous use. I really enjoy the basic gameplay of Halo with added caveats, originally overshield and camo, then equipment. I enjoyed the format equipment had more.
Edit:
wwm0nkey said:
That's some sound reasoning. Half-Life is great. I replay those games as much as I do Halo.
Kuroyume said:
citizen-kane-clapping2.gif

Wonderful discourse. Absolutely beautiful. *tear*

Of course people have fun using armor lock. The only time it sucks is when you're on the opposite end of an armor lock engagement.

But count me in the group that loves bloom and armor abilities (especially the jetpack). Reach was meant to be something different, and it is. Some of the more competitive types here would remove most of the straight up fun in Reach to attain some kind of purity that only seems to exist in previous games. Its a very good thing that playlists can be developed to tailor to these different playstyles.

Booties

Banned
Where are you guys. I'm donging all kids all by myself in squad slayer. Lots of fun today. 30-2 games all over the place.

Also want to play some arena. A fresh new season in which to go undefeated.

Kuroyume

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

Except it's not. Different bases. It's significantly bigger. There's a beach behind one of the bases now where as in the previous map it was in a canyon surrounded by rock walls so there's more space there and a death zone. Remember when you could park a vehicle or yourself behind the base and take people out? Good luck doing that in fucking water. The hills are all different sizes too. More trees also for cover?

GhaleonEB said:
Compelling counter argument!

Wasn't aware it was a counter argument to anything. Excuse me. I thought it was simply an opinion added to my post. I guess you know better than me.

GhaleonEB said:
I have a positive DMR K/D, both overall and in BTB. Not that it matters, since I wasn't posting about my (decidedly average) skill level. I was posting about how the DMR has a much longer range than the BR - which is undoubtedly true.

I understand that. That's like saying water is wet. Yeah, it has longer range... That's not a fucking revelation to anyone who posts here. The point I was making is that it's stupid to argue about the long range of these weapons when you could use them to your advantage as well. It's not like one DMR/NR spawns at each base at the start of the game.

If I were able to sit back and take shots at people with a DMR from the base on Valhalla it would probably make that map more tolerable. Something to protect myself from the douchebags sitting in the middle with a sniper and laser.

You seriously need to lose the holier than thou attitude. You sit here and write a bunch of trash as if you're some genius game designer. Excuse me for offending you with my opinion.

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
That's like saying Asylum is the same map as Sanctuary. It's not true.

Bases are Blood Gulch, teleporters are in the wrong positions, the blue team's teleporter rocks are thin, and offer little cover compared to the ones in Coagulation did. One side is open, other is forged off. It's not enclosed symmetrically. The terrain is fine, but the overal Forging is not necessarily ideal.

Booties

Banned
Hahah holy shit. I just checked my halo 2 stats on bnet and they're actually there. I used "Booties" as a trial GT when I got halo 2 back in 2006. I haven't used that GT until a few months ago because I couldn't pick it back up until Microsoft released all those unused gamertags a while back. It transferred all of my stats. Now I just wish it would put the correct year in my gamer profile and I'll look real legit.

Kuroyume, this meltdown is funny.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
wwm0nkey said:
Anyone remember when halo 2 came with 2 free months of Xbox Live and not just 2 days....ah the gold old times :(

And people stole the codes out of packaging at stores and used them to cheat and make the experience less than ideal for regular players?

Yeah, good times.

Bloom as a mechanic is fine. Some here just don't like it in Reach. Let's not sugarcoat it with words like random and unpredictable. When Ram says shots often miss in combat, down to pace/lag, or whatever and Ghaleon argues that it is too accurate I think we should step back and think a little harder on the subject.

So, what do we have? Ghaleon correctly notes that the range of the DMR is far beyond that of the BR. The BR in 3 had a 3-shot burst that fired within a cone and no bloom! The DMR has one super accurate bullet. You are always going to land the
first shot where the reticule is on someone. Bloom combats every successive shot though. Ghaleon essentially describing a DMR without bloom. Killing across the larger maps is definitely largely done by pacing the shots so that bloom resets each time.

Contrast this with Ram's very true perception of closer combat with it. What bloom does is make players further away from the Halo 3 BR the faster it is fired. Think of the area covered by the 1st DMR shot. It is exactly the same as being face to face with the BR. A 2nd shot expands that reticule a fair bit, so now instead of being face to face, the BR's target is a considerable distance away. Yes you can still expect your BR to land that shot but at the same time, you knew you were gambling with spread.

So why not kill bloom and slap on a fixed rate of fire so that you were always guaranteed to hit? I'd argue you would end up with a Halo:CE pistol. Bungie never wanted that to be so godly and for good reason. Let's be fair, if we were to fix the RoF, you'd imagine it should be the time it would take for the existing bloom to settle. This would make it considerably slower than the CE pistol. That would slow down kill times and make those 5 shots an eternity apart in every situation. Any faster, and Bungie will have reincarnated the pistol.

This just shows me how versatile the bloom mechanic is. It slows down super long distance killing by forcing the player to pace slower but it also allows you a faster kill when you are closer together.

I just can't really relate bloom specific hate I guess.

Booties said:
Looks like I can't load forge world maps anymore. Oh glorious day. Time to buy a new disc I guess.

So basically you can't load any maps in Reach. AMIRIGHT?!

Striker said:
That's like saying Asylum is the same map as Sanctuary. It's not true.

Bases are Blood Gulch, teleporters are in the wrong positions, the blue team's teleporter rocks are thin, and offer little cover compared to the ones in Coagulation did. One side is open, other is forged off. It's not enclosed symmetrically. The terrain is fine, but the overal Forging is not necessarily ideal.

Hemorrhage is certainly a hell of a lot closer to blood gulch/coagulation than Asylum is to Sanctuary. Asylum is a joke compared to Sanctuary, and is an awful forge job.

I wish they would have used the Coagulation bases for Hemorrhage.

Hydranockz said:
I just can't really relate bloom specific hate I guess.
I like the rhythm it adds to the simple act of firing some shots. It takes some getting used to, but once it clicks it really adds another layer of skill and mindfulness to handling the DMR and pistol effectively. Spammers will occasionally get lucky, but that's always the case with semi/full auto weapons.

Booties

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Anyone remember when halo 2 came with 2 free months of Xbox Live and not just 2 days....ah the gold old times :(

Oh yeah, that's how I first got on live. It's definitely the reason I'm addicted to all of this crap. I also blame the ads for halo 3 c. 2007. That made me get a 360 and live all over again. Fool for advertisement right here.

Steelyuhas said:
So basically you can't load any maps in Reach. AMIRIGHT?!

It would be funny if it wasn't true. At least all the good maps still work. I can play powerhouse, countdown and zealot all the time now!

Top Bottom