• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Oozer3993

Trasher said:
What do you think it is, Ghaleon? Or anyone for that matter.

What I want: An area from Two Betrayals. Covenant attacks you, Flood appears, cue three way battle.

What we'll get: One of the areas where you fight along side Marines from the level Halo.

GhaleonEB said:
This is the correct way to handle Halo threads on the gaming side. That or add people to ignore like a motherfucker until it becomes bearable (which is my approach).

I do both. On a related note, I have to go put LAUGHTREY on ignore.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
CE multiplayer is in its own world. Aside from XBC (which I hear is not so hot for CE) we've experienced Halo multiplayer on Xbox Live most of the time. We've only experience CE on LAN. I think we have major nostalgia glasses when it comes to CE because there was no Xbox Live and that's all we had at the time.

I will say that though that I understand the disappoint of an Anniversary remake game not having the original multiplayer. That's going to turn off a lot of people.

Plywood said:
Except you don't know how long he's been floating around. Or has that been answered somewhere?
And don't forget that it's just a cinematic trailer that doesn't necessarily reflect how things will actually play out in game. This was the case for a lot of the Halo 3 trailers.

This thread moves too fast. There are hundreds of posts that I'm just too lazy to read. I'll just go watch the new Halo trailers over and over instead.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
neoism said:
I do... but that's coming from a guy that LOVES Reach, as in it's my favorite online Shooter. :p
EVER
I know some fans like to think Bungie made this game "not like Halo" so it wouldn't be as popular, but I really think Bungie made their best game in the series. Most fans want the game to play the same... I don't. That's why I'm done with the COD series.

I'm pretty sure 4 has been in the planning stages probably from a few months after Halo 3's launch... just guessing.
I can understand you liking it, but you've got to admit that it is unlike any other Halo and that's what put people off to it. People buy sequels(or in this case prequel) because they're looking for enjoying a similar experience along with what other tweaks, features and bells and whistles have been added. Reach really rubbed fans the wrong way with certain things they did.
Barrow Roll said:
And don't forget that it's just a cinematic trailer that doesn't necessarily reflect how things will actually play out in game. This was the case for a lot of the Halo 3 trailers.
I'd like to think they're just hinting at gameplay features but I am definitely not expecting to see horizontal jetpacking while shooting in zero-g as part of actual gameplay.

neoism

Tunavi said:
Forward unto down splits -> master chief takes a 5 minute nap -> Halo 4
MasterChiefBadass-21981058988.jpeg

Frank, over at HBO:
"Helmet is already being addressed, just not in time for trailer. Pax Halo Fest. "​
Good to know. It's funny how many complaints there have been over things that either aren't an issue or have already been fixed. (There are some legitimate concerns too.)

Anyway...Sparkcast was awesome! Keep it up you guys!

Also, a weekly update by Frankie? Today truly has been awesome. Awesome way to end that update, Frankie.

Ramirez said:
Excited about Halo again, feels good man.
This times 1,000.

I am such a fanboy. My God.

And hearing the music at the end of the podcast reaffirmed my faith in 343. That was beautiful. Percussive and entrancing.

Alienshogun said:
So, he goes to sleep and wakes up with a jetpack.

Mmmm k.

Hope this is an improvement over Reach, if not Halo may be in trouble.
It's a teaser, which I assume means 343 is teasing elements of the game that will be in Halo 4. My guess is that's not how the game will start.

Alienshogun said:
I would sure hope not and it's still a pretty "bad" teaser when that's the first thing that I thought when he suddenly sprouts wings.
It was certainly a WTF moment, I'll give you that. :^)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hitmonchan107 said:
It's a teaser, which I assume means 343 is teasing elements of the game that will be in Halo 4. My guess is that's not how the game will start.
I would sure hope not and it's still a pretty "bad" teaser when that's the first thing that I thought when he suddenly sprouts wings.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Alienshogun said:
Its the first thing you thought of because you are grumpy and jaded. Ha!

Striker

Alienshogun said:
Think you should just relax. It's a reveal that allows people to know Halo 4 is coming. We know nothing about it, just as we knew nothing about Reach's gameplay elements from their first reveal tease.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
And let me be the first to say: I hope 4 keeps Reach's control scheme and dual wielding is truly dead.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lyphen said:
Its the first thing you thought of because you are grumpy and jaded. Ha!

It's the first thing I thought because jetpacks didn't exist for the first 3 games and John didn't get into the chamber with a jetpack on.

Striker said:
Think you should just relax. It's a reveal that allows people to know Halo 4 is coming. We know nothing about it, just as we knew nothing about Reach's gameplay elements from their first reveal tease.

Oh, I'm relaxed, it just seemed very out of place, and a serious wtf moment.

Alienshogun said:
It's the first thing I thought because jetpacks didn't exist for the first 3 games and John didn't get into the chamber with a jetpack on.

Gameplay is king. If 343i wants a jetpack in the game, they will put it in there, regardless if it makes sense with the previous games or not.

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
Gameplay is king. If 343i wants a jetpack in the game, they will put it in there, regardless if it makes sense with the previous games or not.
If it's a powerup then what's the complaints about? He's just nitpicking about something we know nothing about. Getting into an uproar over speculation is just silly.

Lyphen said:
And let me be the first to say: I hope 4 keeps Reach's control scheme and dual wielding is truly dead.
Dual wielding has its pros and cons. The main idea is to find a reliable starting weapon where you're not forced to start with a BR/M6D, but at the same time be able to contend at spawn. The assault rifle weapons Bungie tried bringing in for Halo 3 and Reach were not obviously working, nor very fun to shoot.

GhaleonEB said:
Two short examples about physics.

In Halo 1, physics were really limited applied only to a few things. So those purple Covenant weapon crates (which do not actually hold weapons in Halo 1) might as well be trees; they can't move. No physics. In fact, there are no movable objects other than enemies, vehicles and weapons.

The impact of moving vehicles is binary; get touched by a Warthog moving at 5 mph and you don't get thumped and take a little damage, you die. Makes vehicle/infantry play fidgety and annoying. That should be fixed, but it sounds like it's not.

Modestly long rant going into the Gaming side thread later tonight. Stuff like that can be fixed without ruining the game, but they're not due to an abundance of caution to preserve the original experience. I can respect that, but I don't like it.

Having played Halo CE on PC a LOT, quite a bit of Halo 1's balancing issues became apparent to me, and, even more than the pistol, the sheer terror that was a vehicle was the worst. Banshees in particular were completely unstoppable except by a Scorpion, luck, or a moron pilot, and dogfights always devolved into chasing each other in a circle. Perfect games were EASY if you had a Banshee and were careful, and the touch a moving vehicle= instakill was ridiculous.

Although, I loved how high Death Island's ceiling was...

Havok

Striker said:
Dual wielding has its pros and cons. The main idea is to find a reliable starting weapon where you're not forced to start with a BR/M6D, but at the same time be able to contend at spawn. The assault rifle weapons Bungie tried bringing in for Halo 3 and Reach were not obviously working, nor very fun to shoot.
This. Halo 2's DW allowed for an SMG/PR or SMG/Magnum combo to rip a BR user to shreds at close range, at the expense of grenade use and melees. It restricted the user to the effective range of a weapon combination, which was a conscious choice made by the player. There wasn't the grenade + AR rush that Reach is at times, something totally frustrating for a precision player. It wasn't perfect, but Halo 3's system wasn't the solution, and I don't think that throwing it out the window was either.
neoism said:
lol at those other halo threads.... more complaining than in this one :p... poor Frankie in there trying to get the right info in the mix.....
Yeah, say what you will about the (often righteous) complaining in this thread, but it's at least well-informed.

neoism

lol at those other halo threads.... more complaining than in this one :p... poor Frankie in there trying to get the right info in the mix.....

neoism said:
There's quite a few people who are legitimately excited for this who don't normally visit this thread.

I'm in there trying to shape the malleable buzz into something productive (speculation, possible spreading of positive Halo vibes).

Tawpgun

So. Firefight predictions?

We have flood... but I find that unlikely.

The best firefight playground that comes to mind is the landind pad during Truth and Reconciliation.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
So. Firefight predictions?

We have flood... but I find that unlikely.
I don't find it unlikely. Why don't we have Flood in Reach's Firefight? Because Flood are not in Reach. But they're in Halo. And Firefight maps are lifted from Campaign. Would be shame not to leverage the entire sandbox in a Firefight map, since Firefight is all about leveraging the sandbox.

Imagine a map where the Hazards were not drop pods, but the pods of Flood that landed at the end of Halo 3, with combat, carrier and infection forms, the last of which would re-animate Brutes and Elites (alive or dead)? Three way battles breaking out, corpses you killed moments ago rising up to give chase....

Fuck me. Now I've gone and done it.

GhaleonEB said:
I don't find it unlikely. Why don't we have Flood in Reach's Firefight? Because Flood are not in Reach. But they're in Halo. And Firefight maps are lifted from Campaign. Would be shame not to leverage the entire sandbox in a Firefight map, since Firefight is all about leveraging the sandbox.

Imagine a map where the Hazards were not drop pods, but the pods of Flood that landed at the end of Halo 3, with combat, carrier and infection forms, the last of which would re-animate Brutes and Elites (alive or dead)? Three way battles breaking out, corpses you killed moments ago rising up to give chase....

Hawt.

Also, something I've never understood: Why, in Zombies, is there no option to make the zombies Flood combat forms? I'm assuming there are engine limitations or there was just not enough time to implement it, because how hard is it to do a model swap and disguise the sword as the tentacle arm or something? It's something that makes perfect thematic sense and kinda left me scratching my head why it wasn't done for Halo 3.

GhaleonEB

Thagomizer said:
Also, something I've never understood: Why, in Zombies, is there no option to make the zombies Flood combat forms? I'm assuming there are engine limitations or there was just not enough time to implement it, because how hard is it to do a model swap and disguise the sword as the tentacle arm or something? It's something that makes perfect thematic sense and kinda left me scratching my head why it wasn't done for Halo 3.
Those are my thoughts as well. A good idea, not enough time. But then there's this: why not enable the Pestilence armor effect for the zombies? I always thought that was a natural.

ncsuDuncan said:
343: "It's called Halo: Anniversary and it's $40."

Ghaleon: "Okay, what do I get?"

343: "The entire Halo: CE campaign with new graphics, old graphics, and online co-op. Untouched gameplay."

Ghaleon: "No sale. What else you got?"

343: "Six multiplayer maps for Halo: Reach remade from some of the best Halo maps by Certain Affinity."

Ghaleon: "Eh, competitive multiplayer really isn't my thing... Anything else?"

343: "One firefight map."

Ghaleon: "Here's $40."

;)
You're goddamn right. :lol

darthbob

Thagomizer said:
Hawt.

Guessing it had to be cut, unfortunately.

GhaleonEB said:

343: "The entire Halo: CE campaign with new graphics, old graphics, and online co-op. Untouched gameplay."

343: "Six multiplayer maps for Halo: Reach remade from some of the best Halo maps by Certain Affinity."

;)

neoism

Hitmonchan107 said:
There's quite a few people who are legitimately excited for this who don't normally visit this thread.

I'm in there trying to shape the malleable buzz into something productive (speculation, possible spreading of positive Halo vibes).
I don't understand the need... if halo fans aren't happy after today's news. then........WTF is the matter with you...

ncsuDuncan said:

;)

I hear he requested to pay more.

neoism said:
I don't understand the need... if halo fans aren't happy after today's news. then........WTF is the matter with you...
I shall quietly scuttle back to my reclusive hole then.

Sorry if I sounded like the second coming of Halo Christ in my last post. :lol

I just get excited when the haters fade and the genuinely excited come out. These are people who have been turned off from Halo since Halo: CE, and if 343 plays its cards right, these are people who could come back to join the Halo fray for the next 10 years.

Sorry if I get a little giddy trying to encourage such behavior. :^)

Booties

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks of this:

ePu0q.jpg

When they look at this:

IBmod.jpg

Also had a horrible day of The Arena. 2-4. ugggh. At least EazyB got Onyx. That makes me feel better since we played all our games together p. much and have had similar ratings.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So has it been clarified if the Halo: CE Anniversary Reach maps are on a separate disc with all the other Reach maps ala ODST?

Plywood said:
So has it been clarified if the Halo: CE Anniversary Reach maps are on a separate disc with all the other Reach maps ala ODST?

It has been clarified that they are not.

Halo CEA is once disc with the campaign and the Reach multiplayer maps. If you play with that disc, you can play Reach with just those 7 maps. When you buy the game however, you will able to DL the maps to your hard drive and use them when you fire up Reach just like normal DLC.

Top Bottom