• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

I sound like such a smarmy asshole online. :lol

Also, just to make sure we're all on the same page, Frankie clarified that the new maps are not limited to CE. I'm sure it's been mentioned here, though. Several times.

And he said the press have seen a trailer for the terminals.

Havok

Hitmonchan107 said:
I sound like such a smarmy asshole online. :lol

Also, just to make sure we're all on the same page, Frankie clarified that the new maps are not limited to CE. I'm sure it's been mentioned here, though. Several times.

And he said the press have seen a trailer for the terminals.
I'd like to know whether he simply means that there will be Halo PC maps, which aren't strictly from CE. Because I want Halo 2 maps.

Bad.

I will give tens...nay, elevens of my dollars for such a thing.

Havok said:
I'd like to know whether he includes Halo PC maps in the "CE" camp. Because I want Halo 2 maps.

Bad.

I will give tens...nay, elevens of my dollars.

Halo PC had some good exclusive maps, even though Infinity was too ridonkulously huge to be really useful for anything besides Races.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Steelyuhas said:
It has been clarified that they are not.

Halo CEA is once disc with the campaign and the Reach multiplayer maps. If you play with that disc, you can play Reach with just those 7 maps. When you buy the game however, you will able to DL the maps to your hard drive and use them when you fire up Reach just like normal DLC.
Well that's uhm... different.

feel

Wait, CEmake has online coop??

edit-
fuck yeah just read the confirmation in the other thread!!!
\m/
(it was in the trailer, got confused with all the multiplayer talk.)

Alienshogun said:
I would sure hope not and it's still a pretty "bad" teaser when that's the first thing that I thought when he suddenly sprouts wings.
Yeah, all my friends reacted negatively to the jetpacking in the trailer (if Reach didn't exist, it would have been perceived as total badassery, funny thing..). Bad idea to include it if they truly care about restoring the faith of old multiplayer fans.

Havok

Thagomizer said:
Halo PC had some good exclusive maps, even though Infinity was too ridonkulously huge to be really useful for anything besides Races.
Does it have Headlong and Terminal? Or Relic? These are the things I lust for, and while I liked Danger Canyon and Timberlands, they don't hold a candle in comparison.

:( A man(-child) can dream.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Thagomizer said:
It's no oonsk.

Nothing will ever beat the micro machine guns from Crysis Warhead.

micro_machines.gif

They look like unwitting and horrified accomplices.

urk said:
Nothing will ever beat the micro machine guns from Crysis Warhead.

micro_machines.gif

They look like unwitting and horrified accomplices.

Holy crap, there's no way that wasn't intentional. They look like Calvin's dad!
dad.gif

Plywood said:
Well that's uhm... different.

Yeah I thought it was a little odd as well. I'll download the maps and continue to play multiplayer with Reach. Not sure why someone would play multiplayer with the CEA disc if they own Reach.

Ken

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I thought it was a little odd as well. I'll download the maps and continue to play multiplayer with Reach. Not sure why someone would play multiplayer with the CEA disc if they own Reach.
To avoid playing old maps?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ken said:
To avoid playing Forge maps?
Fixed.
Steelyuhas said:
The way I see it is it would've been better to put a separate MP disc if they can't fit it all on the one disc, otherwise this makes playing customs with CEA a hassle. I mean sure it's a disc switch away to Reach but then that just goes back to my point of a MP disc.

Ken

Havok said:
....maybe that's why nobody could figure out what the mystery map was.

Oh boy.
If the mystery map is indeed another Forge World, that would mean people who only own Reach can only play terrible Forge 1.0 maps while CEA players are stuck with terrible Forge 1.5 maps.

Sounds like a terrible idea.

Ken said:
If the mystery map is indeed another Forge World, that would mean people who only own Reach can only play terrible Forge 1.0 maps while CEA players are stuck with terrible Forge 1.5 maps.

Sounds like a terrible idea.
The implementation they're going with already guarantees a painful, painful split.

Tunavi

Banned
lol we were just talking about EazyB getting Onyx while searching and we get matched up with no one other than EazyB.

good game TJ squad
Fuck you Eazy

FilthyLies said:
The implementation they're going with already guarantees a painful, painful split.

Well unless they make some radical changes with the matchmaking systems, any DLC with Reach, now or this fall with CE is going to be painful.

I assume there will be a couple of playlists in matchmaking that are just the CE maps, so that people that buy the CEA can play on those maps. The maps will probably be integrated into all the standard Reach playlists as well, with the amazing matchmaking algorithm matching matching us with people that have the same maps that we do...LOL good joke...so we'll be able to play them in specific playlists for the CEA maps, and nowhere else. Kind of like DLC now.

Regardless though, I am actually excited for these maps because I am sure all six of them will be at least 100 times better than any Reach maps.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Tashi0106 said:
Sounds right.

edit: Any Zune love yet for the Sparkcast. I wanna listen to it while I'm in bed. LOL that sounds really weird but I listen to podcasts as I'm falling asleep lol

Having some trouble with our RSS feed updating for iTunes, Zune, etc. Best bet at the moment is to download locally. Sorry. Hope everyone dug the announcements today. Looking forward to revealing more in the coming months/years.

lybertyboy said:
Having some trouble with our RSS feed updating for iTunes, Zune, etc. Best bet at the moment is to download locally. Sorry. Hope everyone dug the announcements today. Looking forward to revealing more in the coming months/years.
Yo, dawg. You better spill that shit now. *draws shank*

Thanks for giving us something new to talk about. One of my favorite E3s by far.

GhaleonEB

lybertyboy said:
It made for a very fun day. I imagine it's good to have (some) of the secrets out and off your chest.

"All in a Week's Work"

All in a Day's Work is more like it. Couldn't sleep earlier in the day and as a result, I'm closing on completing the weekly :/

At least I was finally promoted to Hero

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
GhaleonEB said:
It made for a very fun day. I imagine it's good to have (some) of the secrets out and off your chest.

You have no idea. It's been fun brushing up on my Warthog flipping on Silent Cartographer. Perhaps I can show the fruits of my labor sometime.

lybertyboy said:

It was a great day to be running on three hours of sleep to say the least. The only issue I have is this stuff doesn't come out NOW! (worst part about E3 haha)

lazybones18 said:
"All in a Week's Work"

All in a Day's Work is more like it. Couldn't sleep earlier in the day and as a result, I'm closing on completing the weekly :/

At least I was finally promoted to Hero

Wait what? You almost got a thousand kills in matchmaking today? Put the game down, that's insane!

Trasher

Tunavi said:
lol we were just talking about EazyB getting Onyx while searching and we get matched up with no one other than EazyB.

good game TJ squad
Fuck you Eazy
GG you guys.

Excuse our troll. :p

Booties

Banned
Tunavi said:

good game TJ squad
Fuck you Eazy

That was a big part of a very shitty night of halo for me. I couldn't get any 1v1 or team shots at all. Then we get to play uncaged against 2 forerunners in a party of 5 jet packers? Fuck that, some games require rage quitting. I don't care what you think.

Edit (This is for the multiplayer map):

Asian Inferno from HBO thinks the "mystery map" for multiplayer that's never before seen on the console is Timberland.

28v5ego.jpg

And here's my Firefight map guess:

The area before you board the Truth and Reconciliation. The twist? Marine A.I. partners.

feel

lybertyboy said:
You have no idea. It's been fun brushing up on my Warthog flipping on Silent Cartographer. Perhaps I can show the fruits of my labor sometime.
There's barely anyone online right now paying attention, setup a livestream somewhere and show some of it to the 4 or 5 of us that are online. We won't tell.

Tunavi

Banned
Booties said:
That was a big part of a very shitty night of halo for me. I couldn't get any 1v1 or team shots at all. Then we get to play uncaged against 2 forerunners in a party of 5 jet packers? Fuck that, some games require rage quitting. I don't care what you think.
our teammates weren't very good. we should play together more though, i'll help you get teamshots. I went 11 and 10 against the forerunners and quit out so I could go positive haha. I got a nice kill and quit out, so its like the opposite of a rage quit i guess lol.

very good night of halo for me, got 334(should have got 9 more!) kills today. I actually lost track of time, its kinda late now and I have to get up early. anyway, happy Halo CE/4 announcement day. Was very exciting.

edit: GTA san andreas is fucking incredible. I wish halo could be as open world as this

Oozer3993

Letters said:
There's barely anyone online right now paying attention, setup a livestream somewhere and show some of it to the 4 or 5 of us that are online. We won't tell.

I swear I won't make a peep.

-------

And I hope we get to see that Terminal trailer.

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Firefight map guess:

The area before you board the Truth and Reconciliation. The twist? Marine A.I. partners.
You are an elite on Halo fighting waves of humans from escape pods from the Autumn (setting - beginning of level 2 - halo). Would be epic.

Trasher

Hitmonchan107 said:
Firefight map guess:

Ooooo that's a good guess.

I've been trying to think of areas where covenant dropships drop off troops... This just makes me want to play through the whole campaign. I may have to do that this week.

Hmmm. What about the second mission where you are defending the marines from the covenant drops at that first base/structure? Right before you get the warthog dropped off.

Edit: VVV Haha yeah. I was referring to the firefight map guess.

Trasher said:
Ooooo that's a good guess.

I've been trying to think of areas where covenant dropships drop off troops... This just makes me want to play through the whole campaign. I may have to do that this week.
Oops. I clarified my post a bit. That should be one of the multiplayer maps. I had my guesses for what that picture was supposed to be, and I erased them and put that there.

Firefight thing is separate.

Trasher said:
Hmmm. What about the second mission where you are defending the marines from the covenant drops at that first base/structure? Right before you get the warthog dropped off.
Damn. That's exactly what it is, I bet.

That would be the perfect vehicle/infantry map. And you have multiple spots where the Spirits drop Covenant off. Honestly, it's one of the first places I pictured, but the comment of "with a twist" threw me off.

Maybe the twist is having different vehicles dropped off by a pelican.

Tunavi

Banned
June update launches tomorrow!
RIP defiant, but bring on flagstravaganza, premium slayer/battle, retooled objective (peace the FUCK out drop shield), and doubles attack.

Booties

Banned
Tunavi said:
our teammates weren't very good. we should play together more though, i'll help you get teamshots. I went 11 and 10 against the forerunners and quit out so I could go positive haha. I got a nice kill and quit out, so its like the opposite of a rage quit i guess lol.

very good night of halo for me, got 334(should have got 9 more!) kills today. I actually lost track of time, its kinda late now and I have to get up early. anyway, happy Halo CE/4 announcement day. Was very exciting.

edit: GTA san andreas is fucking incredible. I wish halo could be as open world as this

Yeah those are the bad Something Awful kids that I used to play with. I think that's why I got tired of reach because everyone over there that still cares to play daily, are very bad
except for kyle and i, pro bros 4 lyfe

Sibylus

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Edit (This is for the multiplayer map):

Asian Inferno from HBO thinks the "mystery map" for multiplayer that's never before seen on the console is Timberland.

28v5ego.jpg

Definitely seems plausible seeing it like this

Left column: Prominent waterfall that runs toward map center, routes left to right.

Right column: Path up a bank with rocks and a sheer edge to the immediate left, tree and cliff to the immediate right, and a Forerunner base to the right in what seems to be a dip. If we could see more of the front of the base, it'd give it away immediately (In Timberland, it's the same base as seen in Sidewinder, with two wide side-doors on the bottom floor that open into a wide hall. Though without ladders, the way to get up to the second floor would have to be different [gravity lifts, probably]). Oh, and the ridge to access the second floors may be present here as well.

Timberland was a great addition, superb map for tearing around in a Warthog or sneaking to avoid them. You could get into Sniper duels from the second floor of the bases too. Paradiso's bumpy hills kinda reminded me of it a little, but Timberland was especially neat because it had bumpy hills everywhere. Great space for Warthog jumps and other maneuvers.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
lybertyboy said:
Yea that's what I did. Good podcast so far. I think I got through most of it before I passed out.

Edit: just ordered my Astro Mixamp! *high five*

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Timberlands a waste in my opinion, maps don't play the same in different games, especially large maps like Blood Gulch. So even if it was an amazing map, it's a waste. Remakes are for nostalgia purposes mostly.

The exception being Midship, that shit needs to come standard.

GhaleonEB said:
I don't find it unlikely. Why don't we have Flood in Reach's Firefight? Because Flood are not in Reach. But they're in Halo. And Firefight maps are lifted from Campaign. Would be shame not to leverage the entire sandbox in a Firefight map, since Firefight is all about leveraging the sandbox.

Imagine a map where the Hazards were not drop pods, but the pods of Flood that landed at the end of Halo 3, with combat, carrier and infection forms, the last of which would re-animate Brutes and Elites (alive or dead)? Three way battles breaking out, corpses you killed moments ago rising up to give chase....

Fuck me. Now I've gone and done it.
Goddam it, Ghaleon. This will never happen, but now I want it more than anything. :-(

Hitmonchan107 said:

Maybe the twist is you play as the Covenant. MC is the boss round. ;-)

Trasher said:
This is actually my real guess as to what it is. It's a perfect spot.

Playing the Convenant in Firefight? I think that we can't expect this, because you can already play as an Elite in Firefight Versus(Even the gametype sucks in MM). Otherwise there wouldn't be a lot of enemies for it. Except you put the Flood into Firefight. "One thing I can tell you is that this one is particularly appropriate to Halo: Combat Evolved but will do things that no Firefight map has done." I guess the more logical thing is the Flood as enemy in my opinion. You can't fight against the Flood in ODST, because the Flood wasn't/weren't on Earth at that time. The same thing you can say about Halo: Reach. Halo: CE introduce us the Flood. It was the first time, we had fought them. And now we get our chance again.

Btw. why should they add the Marines to Firefight? I'm playing Firefight to see how many enemies I can take down on my own or with friends. I really wouldn't enjoy to fight with A.I. partnes. Except they are all Johnsons.

Otherwise a "real" vehicle firefight map would be awesome. Yeah Lost Platoon is nice. Beachhead is only awesome, because it has a Ghost on the Map. Unearthed sucks because of the RocketHog. So maybe we get a map with a Scorpion etc. and many vehicles.

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
ODamn. That's exactly what it is, I bet.

That would be the perfect vehicle/infantry map. And you have multiple spots where the Spirits drop Covenant off. Honestly, it's one of the first places I pictured, but the comment of "with a twist" threw me off.

Maybe the twist is having different vehicles dropped off by a pelican.
Every spot I think of has problems, including that one.

I was going to say at the top of the control room structure with Covenant swarming up (and with a Wraith dropped off below) but the long path up is too linear. Then I was going to say that area where you defend the Marines on the first level, but the building is too simple: just two long paths up. Place two players at each path and stand there shooting, and that would be that. We have that already, it's called Outpost.

I think the area on Truth and Reconciliation right before you get to the area with the gravity lift would work well, a big wide open space with some high and low areas. Might be too wide open, though.

I'm still stumped.

Just caught up with all the Halo news, and I have mixed feelings. Nothing really about Halo 4, only the hype for a new halo game but there is no real information.

But with Halo anniversery, I don't know where I stand: I loved CE's campaign but as Ghaleon pointed out, a lot of new things that were added with other Halo titles would make CE so much better.

Not only that but the movement feels really clunky to me at this moment. I don't know if this will be with anniversery, but if it is, it will be a turndown for me

Tawpgun

Tunavi said:
June update launches tomorrow!
RIP defiant, but bring on flagstravaganza, premium slayer/battle, retooled objective (peace the FUCK out drop shield), and doubles attack.
It's still a useless step forward for me. I am not playing objective unless its DMR starts mandatory. I'll take a drop shield over 4 v 4 AR starts Hemorrhage objective. That's some high speed halo shit.
<3 you guys anyway. Trick it up in CE.

As for fire fight.... I'll list some ideas .

Defend the POA from boarders.

Halo towers.

Spire at the end of 343 Guilty Spark

Some place on silent cartographer island.

Truth and recon lift

Control room.

Covenant ship bay

POA engine room

Some big field in two betrayals/aotcr

THE LIBRARY

A27 Tawpgun said:
Some place on silent cartographer island.
The section where the Hunters are would be a pretty good one, if memory serves. But, it's a central structure surrounded by higher ground, much like no one's favorite Firefight map, Waterfront.

Top Bottom