• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
The section where the Hunters are would be a pretty good one, if memory serves. But, it's a central structure surrounded by higher ground, much like no one's favorite Firefight map, Waterfront.
This gives me (in my early morning crabby state) reason for a brief rant: my top five problems with Waterfront are:

1) The drop ships

2) The drop ships

3) The drop ships

4) The drop ships

5) The map is chunky and cluttered with weird sight lines.

The drop ships take longer on that map to drop and then leave than on most others, and they carpet bomb the entire map for a full minute each time. They seem to want to zero in on me each time, to boot.

The turrets on the drop ships in ODST were perfect: powerful and dangerous, but you could disable the gunner with some good shots. In Reach they are absurdly beefed up, and then made exceptionally difficult to knock off on top of it. Most infantry weapons are useless. It's an astoundingly bad design decision.

It's the single biggest problem with Firefight, IMO. (This is the exact same set of reasons I don't like Holdout; that map can be carpet bombed for up a full minute per wave - at fifteen waves per set, that's half a game of Limited dodging concussion rounds.)

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
lybertyboy said:
You have no idea. It's been fun brushing up on my Warthog flipping on Silent Cartographer. Perhaps I can show the fruits of my labor sometime.

Instead of warthog flipping you should be fixing MC's visor.

LunaticPuma said:
Instead of warthog flipping you should be fixing MC's visor.
That's already been fixed.
They just didn't get it done in time for the trailer, we'll see the correct version at PAX.

Instead of flipping out you should be fixing your manners.

Tunavi

Banned
The thing I don't like about Reach firefight is that if you don't have a DMR, you aren't going to survive. In ODST, you had to mix and match weapons every round. It was a lot more varied and interesting. You could roll with a pistol/smg or a plasma rifle/carbine, needler/sniper. Your weapons were much more powerful in ODST. Also, Lost Platoon was epic. That map is a huge battlefield with lots of driving space. That map feels like real survival.

Two questions: who is thinking they are not buying the anniversary edition?

What Halo song by Marty would be good for the Halo 4 trailer?

GhaleonEB said:
This gives me (in my early morning crabby state) reason for a brief rant: my top five problems with Waterfront are:

1) The drop ships

2) The drop ships

3) The drop ships

4) The drop ships

5) The map is chunky and cluttered with weird sight lines.

The drop ships take longer on that map to drop and then leave than on most others, and they carpet bomb the entire map for a full minute each time. They seem to want to zero in on me each time, to boot.

The turrets on the drop ships in ODST were perfect: powerful and dangerous, but you could disable the gunner with some good shots. In Reach they are absurdly beefed up, and then made exceptionally difficult to knock off on top of it. Most infantry weapons are useless. It's an astoundingly bad design decision.

It's the single biggest problem with Firefight, IMO. (This is the exact same set of reasons I don't like Holdout; that map can be carpet bombed for up a full minute per wave - at fifteen waves per set, that's half a game of Limited dodging concussion rounds.)
Dropships are a big problem on a lot of the smaller maps for sure. As with MP, it would be nice to have map-specific gametypes for FF, but I know that's a pipedream. I really detest Waterfront for Limited, but for wacky Arcadefight it's a pretty fun map (mainly because there are no dropships, lol).

Tunavi said:
The thing I don't like about Reach firefight is that if you don't have a DMR, you aren't going to survive. In ODST, you had to mix and match weapons every round. It was a lot more varied and interesting. You could roll with a pistol/smg or a plasma rifle/carbine, needler/sniper. Your weapons were much more powerful in ODST. Also, Lost Platoon was epic. That map is a huge battlefield with lots of driving space. That map feels like real survival.

Also, who is thinking they are not buying the anniversary edition?
I hope that the June update removes the ammo crates for Limited. That alone would change the gametype pretty drastically, and give it more of an ODST feel. Tentacles crossed.

And I'll be buying the Anniversary Edition, against my better judgment. A fool and his money and all that...

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
Every spot I think of has problems, including that one.

I was going to say at the top of the control room structure with Covenant swarming up (and with a Wraith dropped off below) but the long path up is too linear. Then I was going to say that area where you defend the Marines on the first level, but the building is too simple: just two long paths up. Place two players at each path and stand there shooting, and that would be that. We have that already, it's called Outpost.

I think the area on Truth and Reconciliation right before you get to the area with the gravity lift would work well, a big wide open space with some high and low areas. Might be too wide open, though.

I'm still stumped.
How would you feel about the giant boulder garden where you hold out with a group of marines on Halo?

Ken

Hitmonchan107 said:
Edit (This is for the multiplayer map):
I thought about it being Timberland but then ruled it out if the maps are being remade exactly, with the only difference being graphics. In the left half comparison, Camo spawn on Timberland is gone and instead it looks like the map isn't closed off completely by walls like Timberland is. In the second half, the base structure looks like it extends back much further than the Timberland bases, not to mention the base structure itself is completely different.

Of course, if it's not an exact remake then I guess it could be Timberland.

As for Marine AIs in Firefight, I think I'd probably kill them all from the start since I don't trust their ability to do anything.

Tawpgun

What if it was a HUUUUGE map. Like a big chunk from the Halo level. Honestly that first structure before the unnatural cave formation would be perfect. Central base. Bunch of rocks and trees for cover. Open area for hogging.

And the unique aspect is a good netcode. Believe.

ncsuDuncan said:
They just didn't get it done in time for the trailer, we'll see the correct version at PAX.

Really?

MNMb7.gif

The remake is coming out four days after Skyrim. Four. Freaking. Days. My body is not ready. :'(

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
ncsuDuncan said:

Flipping out? You read too much into things. There are much more important things to flip out about like Reach's MP. However, video games are pretty low on my priorities right now. I'm still only a brigadier and haven't had time to read every single response posted about the trailer. Besides, there are more important things to fix like claiming Damnation is a Halo 2 map.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
What if it was a HUUUUGE map. Like a big chunk from the Halo level. Honestly that first structure before the unnatural cave formation would be perfect. Central base. Bunch of rocks and trees for cover. Open area for hogging.

And the unique aspect is a good netcode. Believe.
They'd need to change the structure of Firefight to make a really big map work. The waves are set to six squads of four (max) units each on every map, and it doesn't scale for the larger maps. So a really big Firefight map would be sparsely populated. I want a big map too but I don't think it would work with so few enemies.

Unearthed addresses this by having all enemies collapse to the center area after they spawn, so they clump up and don't have to be chased down. If they are able to expand that somehow to eight or ten squads, that would work, but I'm not sure whether the engine or net code could handle it.

I might have to romp through the Halo 1 campaign again real quick to get a feel for the best spaces. There are some great potential maps there, but picking the one best spot will be tricky. I'm really curious what they do. (I hope the Flood are included.)

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
squidhands said:
I hope that the June update removes the ammo crates for Limited. That alone would change the gametype pretty drastically, and give it more of an ODST feel. Tentacles crossed.

That would be a much welcomed update. Whenever I play Reach FF, I never get the sense of urgency and despair in struggling to survive. I think this is a combination of infinite ammo and never getting very far into the skull progression. Having to scour for weapons and relying on enemy weapons later on in sets was a great sensation in ODST. Overall Reach's FF is better, but there are a few nuances that ODST got right that I haven't experienced in Reach yet.

Crucio

Halo Anniversary had a strange first impression on me. Trailer gave me some good visual cues but it was a confusing. At first it seemed like Halo CE's multiplayer was remade with Reach's engine.

But that was unlikely to happen. After listening to the Sparkast, watching the Halo:Anniversary Behind the Scenes video and reading the tidbits from Frankie's posts, I understand the path that they chose and I have an overall happy feeling about it. I'll be in line for whatever type of launch this remake will get, its mine!

Honestly I'd rather stay in Reach Multiplayer, continuing my Journey to Inheritor. Really, though an all new set of achievements and a remastered campaign is something I'm going to thoroughly enjoy!

Knowing that Halo 4 is being made, and that its been worked on for YEARS is a huge comfort for me. I believe the next couple of years is going to be an amazing time to be a Halo 4an.
Yes the trailer was CG, but it showed us part of the path that 343i is taking for the story and gameplay elements. It was an epic Teaser. I will not assume that the game will hold the standard of Halo just yet, but on the side of story telling however, 343i has my full confidence. Why? Look at Evolutions, Cryptum. Traviss line to books? Wow.

I'm excited for Halo's future! All I can say to you 343i is:
Bring it!

Nintendo Conference about to start! At least I get to watch one of them Live! :)

GhaleonEB

Knowing that Halo 4 is being made, and that its been worked on for YEARS is a huge comfort for me. I believe the next couple of years is going to be an amazing time to be a Halo fan.
Seconded. I'm very glad that they're taking their sweet time with Halo 4. Yeah, it'll come two years after Reach and not the three Bungie spaced them, but it was in development in tandem with Reach. Halo titles need a full three year cycle (minimum), and I'm delighted they're following that. 343 has made all the right noises about Halo 4.

I'm okay with how Halo: Anniversary turned out.

Pick two: (One for 343 to focus on, and one to farm out to Certain Affinity.)

A) Halo 4 Multiplayer
B) Halo: CE Multiplayer online
C) Halo: Reach Multiplayer and Firefight DLC

There isn't enough time for all three. Keep in mind that when Halo 3 came out we had to wait 36 months before Reach gave us a new multiplayer. Reach has only been out 9 months, and when Halo 4 comes out we will only have waited a total of ~27 months.

feel

I wonder if they will make it easier to be on par with this gen's Halo games.. I hope not, and I also hope the solo legendary achievement is back from Reach, I asked so much for that one prerelease that I almost feel that I contributed to it being included.

GhaleonEB said:
343 has made all the right noises about Halo 4.
not all, jetpack noise in the trailer says hi :p

Dax01 said:
Can't wait to get Anniversary and try again to complete Halo: CE, solo legendary.

I wonder if they'll be more enemies this time around along with a more sophisticated AI similar to what we've become accustomed to in Reach? I'm also really interested to see what kind of renovations, aesthetically, they've done to 343 Guilty Spark and of course everyone's favorite level the Library. I'm in that minority of Halo fans that actually enjoys mowing down hordes of flood forms but I also understand the gripes associated with how repetitive that particular section of the campaign can be. Adding some visual variety may at least make it a bit more enjoyable for those who will dread having to revisit it once again.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Did people really have that much trouble completing Halo CE solo legendary? As far as I can recall it was easier than Halo 2 and probably even Reach.

Also, I'm hoping the "jetpack" in the 4 trailer is just for space movement and not a part of the on planet/on ship game play.

Ken

xxxstylzxxx said:
I wonder if they'll be more enemies this time around along with a more sophisticated AI similar to what we've become accustomed to in Reach? I'm also really to interested to see what kind of renovations, aesthetically, they've done to 343 Guilty Spark and of course everyone's favorite level the Library. I'm in that minority of Halo fans that actually enjoys mowing down hordes of flood forms but I also understand the gripes associated with how repetitive that particular section of the campaign can be. Adding some visual variety may at least make it a bit more enjoyable for those who will dread having to revisit it once again.

I was under the impression that everything but the graphics were left alone.

xxxstylzxxx said:
I wonder if they'll be more enemies this time around along with a more sophisticated AI similar to what we've become accustomed to in Reach? I'm also really interested to see what kind of renovations, aesthetically, they've done to 343 Guilty Spark and of course everyone's favorite level the Library. I'm in that minority of Halo fans that actually enjoys mowing down hordes of flood forms but I also understand the gripes associated with how repetitive that particular section of the campaign can be. Adding some visual variety may at least make it a bit more enjoyable for those who will dread having to revisit it once again.

Everything besides graphics is completely the same. You can even see the TaR Shipmaster do the super-floaty sword lunge jump at one point in the trailer he always did in Halo 1.

Does anyone have the link to the two extra Halo threads on the gaming side?

I'm afraid to go out there for fear of Nintendo conference spoilers.

Eff. The Internet is a minefield of spoilers. I hate being confined to a few places.

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Does anyone have the link to the two extra Halo threads on the gaming side?

I'm afraid to go out there for fear of Nintendo conference spoilers.

Eff. The Internet is a minefield of spoilers. I hate being confined to a few places.
You didn't hear that Nintendo was bought out by Activision??

ncsuDuncan said:
I was this close to screaming in fury in the office. Shit would've been real.

You clever girl.

Thanks to you and Napsta for the links.

Tunavi said:
You didn't hear that Nintendo was bought out by Activision??
Activision couldn't handle a five-year Zelda cycle.

Edit: From the Gamespot article:

here was a lot more we wanted to ask, but 343 Industries played it coy with details about extensive tie-ins to Halo: Waypoint, changes to the campaign that allow you to play levels as originally delivered or as "remastered versions" (did someone say Library?), and ways to tweak the difficulty of the campaign levels (if you're thinking skulls, you're on the right track).

Interview video shows good shots of the revamped Main Menu.

There's an Extras menu. Sorry if this is old.

261lrv4.jpg

Did they really reference Lake Minnitoka in the sparkcast!???

LOL

Im still worried about the CE remake, at the end of the day I havent played past 343 Guilty spark in any of my recent playthroughs, simply because I feel the game turns aweful at that point. Dont get me wrong Halo CE was AMAZING 10 years ago, but im just worried this remake will open the floodgates to a ton of critics who complain about the copy and paste gameplay for the second half of the game.

Why can't we see media from the new multiplayer maps? At least one or two? The maps are played in Reach so I don't see why not.

I think I'm actually a lot more excited for amazing maps in Reach (one of the things it severally lacks) more than the actually CE campaign.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
Did they really reference Lake Minnitoka in the sparkcast!???

LOL

Im still worried about the CE remake, at the end of the day I havent played past 343 Guilty spark in any of my recent playthroughs, simply because I feel the game turns aweful at that point. Dont get me wrong Halo CE was AMAZING 10 years ago, but im just worried this remake will open the floodgates to a ton of critics who complain about the copy and paste gameplay for the second half of the game.
It's so amazing that a 10 yr old game still pushes over the recent single player campaigns of Halo like they're a toddler. Is that what you're talking about in regards to amazement? If you didn't ever play past 343 Guilty Spark then I'm just sorry.

Also intrigued by the other MP maps they've created. With Max on board, they're bound to be excellent. So far we just know of Beaver Creek (Halo 2), Hang 'em High (Halo 1), Damnation (Halo 1), and an unknown map (Halo 1 PC). There's two others that's unannounced; here's my hope to bringing back Headlong and Terminal/Zanzibar.

Ken

Steelyuhas said:
Why can't we see media from the new multiplayer maps? At least one or two? The maps are played in Reach so I don't see why not.

There's screenshots of Damnation and Battle Creek up, unless you meant more beyond those.

Striker said:
It's so amazing that a 10 yr old game still pushes over the recent single player campaigns of Halo like they're a toddler. Is that what you're talking about in regards to amazement? If you didn't ever play past 343 Guilty Spark then I'm just sorry.
Halo: Combat Evolved has been surpassed in many respects in the sequels.

Striker

Dax01 said:
Halo: Combat Evolved has been surpassed in many respects in the sequel.
Halo 2 had fantastic story telling for the Arbiter. The campaign missions were lacking, though some of Earth missions were pretty damn superb. Halo 3's campaign was lackluster overall, no redeeming levels outside The Ark and Covenant, and the story was awful. Reach is probably the closest we've gotten to CE all around but even then it falls short.

I know it's been said that 343 Guilty Spark will narrate the terminals, but has the story elements of the terminals been mentioned? This article by Videogamer gives a little more on the terminals:

"So we're going to make the Terminals more accessible, they will be easier for people to find and we're going to use them to tell a story of the Halo ring, and if you find them all you may find that we've laid down some foundation for the other Halo game we talked about today."

Striker said:
Halo 2 had fantastic story telling for the Arbiter. The campaign missions were lacking, though some of Earth missions were pretty damn superb. Halo 3's campaign was lackluster overall, no redeeming levels outside The Ark and Covenant, and the story was awful. Reach is probably the closest we've gotten to CE all around but even then it falls short.

Pretty much how I feel.

Spasm

Anyone know of a way to get current MM gametypes and maps saved locally? I wanna play e.g. btb multiflag in a custom game.

Spasm said:
Anyone know of a way to get current MM gametypes and maps saved locally? I wanna play e.g. btb multiflag in a custom game.

You mean how do you save the latest MM variants? If so hit start, go to file browser, recent games, and you can select gametypes and map variants and save them locally.

There is also a website that houses most of the latest gametypes and map variants. http://www.ftzulu.com/matchmaking/

Striker said:
Halo 3's campaign was lackluster overall, no redeeming levels outside The Ark and Covenant, and the story was awful.
Nope. Crow's Nest, Tsavo Highway, and The Storm are all great levels. From Crow's Nest to The Covenant, there isn't a more concentrated and focused amount of greatness found in Halo 3 or any of the Halo games – even Combat Evolved. Not to mention Halo 3's encounters are a generation ahead of Halo 1's. Atmosphere? ODST. Consistent quality in level design? Reach. Story? Halo 2. Among many smaller aspects and improvements like gun feedback (Reach), being able to swap weapons with Marines, being able to board the wraith, etc.

Ramirez

CE is the only campaign I've replayed, and I've done it probably 15-20 times, half of which were probably co-op back in the day. Halo 2 sucked in general after the first couple of levels, the Brutes make 3 terrible, ODST felt like mini FF matches with vehicle sections thrown in, and Reach has too many scripted events, and the least fun gunplay.

Also, all of these E3 conferences have reaffirmed that I probably wouldn't even be playing games anymore if it weren't for Halo. I really thought Nintendo would blow me away today, but man, they might as well not even have shown the console if they didn't have any games ready to show, meh.

Spasm

Steelyuhas said:
You mean how do you save the latest MM variants? If so hit start, go to file browser, recent games, and you can select gametypes and map variants and save them locally.

There is also a website that houses most of the latest gametypes and map variants. http://www.ftzulu.com/matchmaking/
Thank you sir. I tried the first suggestion, but Hemo still had Scorpions. Will try the site.

Top Bottom