• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

While people are talking about Bungie Day theories, is there any chance that we'll finally find out what Bungieaerospace.com is all about? I've been looking at that "coming soon" page for almost a year now and nothing has changed. Of course, in my obsession over talking about how everything everyone in the entire planet does is bad I may have missed previous discussion and revelations.

Blue Ninja said:
Wait, you're suggesting they remake Halo: CE but not include the campaign?

http://i.imgur.com/Gn9w4.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I'm not really trying to take away from how good the campaign was in Combat Evolved. I'm just looking at it from the perspective that we can actually play the campaign right now. In fact, not too long ago I played through the campaign from normal to heroic just for something to do. But what we don't have and have never had is Combat Evolved matchmaking on xbox-live.

GhaleonEB

So I've been trying to check out the forums on Waypoint, but all I get is a blank page with this:

The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.​

It's been like that for days. It is just me?

GhaleonEB said:
So I've been trying to check out the forums on Waypoint, but all I get is a blank page with this:

The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.​

It's been like that for days. It is just me?
Happens to everyone. Something to do with the Windows Live cookies.

I just sign into Xbox.com first, then Waypoint loads the forums just fine. I think if you hit "Logout" every time you leave the Waypoint forums it works too.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Xbox thing works best. Waypoint forums processes cookie information from live.com and halo.xbox.com without any security, so they can never get processed properly. Nice bug. Been there forever.

Willeth

My problem with Live ID is that it just gets stuck in a redirect loop on my phone. Can't load xbox.com or bungie.net or anything without it cycling and timing out.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Happens to everyone. Something to do with the Windows Live cookies.

I just sign into Xbox.com first, then Waypoint loads the forums just fine. I think if you hit "Logout" every time you leave the Waypoint forums it works too.
That worked, thanks. I went to Xbox.com, then Waypoint and the forums loaded up. Did an intro post over there; I'll probably start posting there now and then.

GhaleonEB said:
That worked, thanks. I went to Xbox.com, then Waypoint and the forums loaded up. Did an intro post over there; I'll probably start posting there now and then.
Just started posting over there myself.

By the way, going into Premium Battle expecting to play some good objective games on Highlands and Tempest, only to end up playing Invasion on Breakpoint, really kills your mood to play the playlist. :/

I thought this was interesting:

Unfortunately we had very little time so serious rework wasn't possible. However what our Lead Character artist, Scott Shepherd was able to do within that frame work was amazing. You can see the original Brute sillhouette on the right with my final revised version on the left.
Credit to padraig08 at HBO for posting the link.

I would have loved to see the Brutes with this look in Reach. I was hugely disappointed with their final design, and was really hoping to see some of Halo 2's art style return. If future games include Brutes, I hope they look more like that art there.

GhaleonEB said:
The Waypoint forums are okay. I won't make a comment on the quality of most of the posters, but I will say that I wish more forums had a style similar to NeoGAF in terms of page layout.

As in:
- custom avatars so you can glance at a page and recognize posters (instead of a limited number to choose from)
- no forum signatures (not directed at Waypoint, but other forums. I don't care for clutter between every post)
- clean, easy to read text (Waypoint has a very narrow page width)
- a decent number of posts per page

Waypoint also seems to load more slowly than some forums, so navigating the multi-page threads gets frustrating. Not trying to be over-critical, the little details like that just drive me to only check Waypoint threads started by (or with a last post by) a 343 employee or one of the Community Leaders. I have a hard enough time keeping up with HaloGAF, HBO is a close second on the list with Waypoint closer to the bottom.

It has promise, but it's going to be interesting if Bungie.net cuts forum sections before the Waypoint forum gets an upgrade.
urk said:
Three posts above yours.

:D
Hmm, the Face of Halo is a bit hairier and angrier than I remember. E3 must have been rough.

vhfive said:
brutes have little dongs
No wonder they're so fucking angry all the time.

Never liked the Brute design, they look too much like a ripoff from an awesomely bad horror movie called Rawhead Rex.

6h6afa.jpg
2ikv3nb.jpg

Dax01 said:
Halo 3's superior gameplay does that for you. My memories of Sanctuary are bruised with overcharged plasma shots hitting me in ridiculous ways and then getting killed instantly. Don't remember much of my experiences from Warlock and Beaver Creek but they weren't as enjoyable as Citadel from what I can recall.

Oh lord...

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:
Oh lord...

I think Halo 3 was far and away the best playing in the series. For MP, but especially the campaign. People have different opinions, news at 11.
Hitmonchan107 said:
I wish the story matched the sandbox.
Indeed. Halo 2's story telling with Halo 3's sandbox and mission design would be godly.

GhaleonEB said:
I think Halo 3 was far and away the best playing in the series. For MP, but especially the campaign.
I wish the story matched the sandbox.

Edit: I'll be filthy rich after this weekend's jackpot playlists.

Hey You

Super Jackpot Weekend starts now and runs until Sunday night! Play and complete games in FLAGSTRAVAGANZA for a chance to win a daily Super Jackpot of 21,000 credits!

The following playlists are currently offering Double Jackpots all week long!
- THE ARENA
- PREMIUM SLAYER
- PREMIUM BATTLE
- FLAGSTRAVAGANZA
[Post]

Giving me extra credits for playing my favorite playlist? Thank you bungie.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
[Post]

Giving me extra credits for playing my favorite playlist? Thank you bungie.
Wow, they broke the 20k barrier. Awesome.

I was going to be playing those three playlists (well, Battle and Flagstravaganza) all weekend anyways. Yay.

Ramirez

There are a lot of rose tinted glasses in here when it comes to Halo 2. Yes it had awesome moments, but it's not like it was perfect. The combo ruined a lot of maps, glitches, super jumping, hacked spawn games, etc.

I played Halo 3 more than any of them, and I really think with hitscan/Reach's netcode it would be my definitive Halo experience gameplay wise. The maps were pretty subpar overall, 2 definitely had the best selection there...

Flagstravaganza was a pretty underwhelming experience last night, should be DMR starts and straight up 1 FLag/Multi Flag, get this 3 Flag and Neutral flag garbage out of there.

GhaleonEB said:
I think Halo 3 was far and away the best playing in the series. For MP, but especially the campaign. People have different opinions, news at 11.

Indeed. Halo 2's story telling with Halo 3's sandbox and mission design would be godly.

Yeah of course. For MP, I believe H3 to be the worst (and by a considerable margin).

H3's campaign could have been massively improved with story telling that wasn't awful. One of my other huge problems with H3's campaign was that the last two levels are horrible. Sucks to end the game like that.

Ramirez said:
There are a lot of rose tinted glasses in here when it comes to Halo 2. Yes it had awesome moments, but it's not like it was perfect. The combo ruined a lot of maps, glitches, super jumping, hacked spawn games, etc.

I played Halo 3 more than any of them, and I really think with hitscan/Reach's netcode it would be my definitive Halo experience gameplay wise. The maps were pretty subpar overall, 2 definitely had the best selection there...

Flagstravaganza was a pretty underwhelming experience last night, should be DMR starts and straight up 1 FLag/Multi Flag, get this 3 Flag and Neutral flag garbage out of there.

The combo is the only thing with H2 MP that is there by design that bothers me really. Stuff like the glitches sucked when people abused them, but when I look back at the game and evaluate it I really only consider things that are by design that made the game awesome, or for me, made H3 not very awesome.

Ramirez

You can evaluate it on the design of the game I guess, but I evaluate it on the stuff I had to put up with in a vast majority of the games. The game was nearly unplayable in a lot of playlists early on because of people using standby, when I read posts on here about 2 it's like they were playing some magical version that none of these problems existed.

Relic for example always consisted of someone getting a sniper and running to the edge of the map, out of BR range, nothing you could do except hide. Terminal was plagued by spawns in the attic of that building, completely inaccessible by any means other than spawning. Superjumping to the top of the Zanzibar base with the power weapons, sumperjumping on Burial Mounds and walking along the edges of the map, Riding Banshees to the top of Headlong and sniping, etc. etc. etc. The game was just as plagued with problems as Reach, they weren't design decisions, but they were real problems none the less.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So is there any way for me to get 'You Ate All the Chips' now? Gamerscore is no longer a multiple of 5, going rampant.

Booshka

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I absolutely hate the aim acceleration in Halo 3. It made aiming and moving much much less smooth than Halo CE and 2.
Halo 2 felt smooth as well, it just had way too much magnetism and aim assist, then Halo 3 had very little magnetism but the movement and aiming just felt sloppy. Don't know why Bungie ever felt the need to change the core mechanics of the engine after Halo CE, it was perfect then, and it is still the best model on consoles.

I'm probably alone when I say I actually really liked the Brute designs in Reach. Sure, they looked nothing like their Halo 2 incarnations, but it made them seem less space monkey and more alien. Additionally, Bungie's said that Brutes were supposed to be (in spirit) a hybrid of rhinos and gorillas; Reach's versions were just closer to rhino.

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
The combo is the only thing with H2 MP that is there by design that bothers me really. Stuff like the glitches sucked when people abused them, but when I look back at the game and evaluate it I really only consider things that are by design that made the game awesome, or for me, made H3 not very awesome.
The combo was dealt around in many forms, if you recall. Remember getting straight Team Rifles? No weapons on the map sans BR, Carbine, and a Sniper. Also remember Human CTF which was CTF obviously but with only human weapons, ie. BR, SMG, Magnum, Sniper, and Rockets. That gametype on Beaver Creek and Sanctuary was superb.

Agree on movement related to the past few posts. I'm not sure why Bungie started with 3 going in the slower killing times and slower base speed. That's what people loved probably the most about the first two games.

Nothing to see at all:

From the Twitter of Scott Warner said:
New designers at 343i: Jason Behr (led up Level Design on Metroid Prime 1-2) and Chris Haluke (Lead Level Design on Killzone 3) #halo4

Is it too much to dream to have Metroid Prime exploration elements mixed into the Halo sandbox?

Jason Behr's LinkedIn -- It says he's a mission designer at 343 Industries.

Not only did he do wonders with Metroid Prime, but he's a fantastic photographer.

Edit: There's a second employee at 343 Industries who's also from Retro Studios -- Kynan Pearson.

The level of atmosphere these guys could bring to the Halo franchise has me stoked for Halo 4.

*fingers crossed for gameplay video at PAX*

I'm going to play Metroid Prime again when I get home.

Tawpgun

Devin Olsen said:
I may have missed it being discussed here, but this is simply amazing.
Tower to Tower Completer After Seven Years
HBO Link
Yeah it was posted here. It's still amazing. Does CE anniversary by any longshot chance have 4 player coop?

Anyway, lame super jackpot weekend. I'll be playing premium battle/slayer. Not touching flagstravaganza until its DMR starts

Objective with ARs is gross.

EDIT: Nothing to see!? The metroid prime designer has me giddy. It suggests MC being on an unknown hostile world is really a huge part of the gameplay.

Striker

Hitmonchan107 said:
Nothing to see at all:

Is it too much to dream to have Metroid Prime exploration elements mixed into the Halo sandbox?
Those are campaign level designers, correct?

It would be awesome if they got CA/Max Hoberman get some sort of role for multiplayer.

GhaleonEB

I seem to always get put on teams that do not understand the concept of Neutral Flag. Most of my team was back playing defense, guarding a flag we do not have, while I get eviscerated by a full team with the middle of Zealot locked down.

GhaleonEB said:
I seem to always get put on teams that do not understand the concept of Neutral Flag. Most of my team was back playing defense, guarding a flag we do not have, while I get eviscerated by a full team with the middle of Zealot locked down.
GAF is playing more Premium Battle tonight. You're more than welcome to join us. :^)

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
GAF is playing more Premium Battle tonight. You're more than welcome to join us. :^)
I would like to do so. I'll be on as of 8:00 PM pacific.

...you guys know how to play Neutral Flag, right? :p

Hitmonchan107 said:
Nothing to see at all:

Jason Behr's LinkedIn -- It says he's a mission designer at 343 Industries.

Not only did he do wonders with Metroid Prime, but he's a fantastic photographer.

Edit: There's a second employee at 343 Industries who's also from Retro Studios -- Kynan Pearson.

The level of atmosphere these guys could bring to the Halo franchise has me stoked for Halo 4.

*fingers crossed for gameplay video at PAX*

I'm going to play Metroid Prime again when I get home.
Even the Lead level desgin dude from Guerrilla Games . I don't know how the level design was in KillZone 3. But yeah the Killzone love it. And the gameplay stuff looks good. Maybe I'll rent it.

Top Bottom