• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Louis Wu

bobs99 ... said:
I remember reading that the stats storage is pretty minimal.
I have no clue where you read this - but I'm pretty sure it's totally, totally wrong.

Stats storage (and screenshot storage, and fileshare storage, we won't even MENTION movie rendering which urk's already said will come to a halt in the not-too-distant future - see here, scroll down to 'Bungie Pro Offer Cut in Twain!') is rather large. Like... terabytes large.

In terms of bandwidth, bungie.net is still in the top 10,000 sites worldwide - and almost ALL of that is Halo-related. Someone's got to pay for that - it's not free, and it's not anything you were promised when you bought Reach. (Online stats, sure. Online stats for years after release? Nope.)

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
I have no clue where you read this - but I'm pretty sure it's totally, totally wrong.

Stats storage (and screenshot storage, and fileshare storage, we won't even MENTION movie rendering which urk's already said will come to a halt in the not-too-distant future - see here, scroll down to 'Bungie Pro Offer Cut in Twain!') is rather large. Like... terabytes large.

In terms of bandwidth, bungie.net is still in the top 10,000 sites worldwide - and almost ALL of that is Halo-related. Someone's got to pay for that - it's not free, and it's not anything you were promised when you bought Reach. (Online stats, sure. Online stats for years after release? Nope.)

Ah Leave it to the Wu to slap down some better knowledge of this stuff.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Louis Wu said:

Roger's Rumpus Room is truly a sight to behold. One day, I will take a picture of it and minds will be blown. It is the furthest thing from trivial you could possibly imagine. We are not minimalists.

Louis Wu said:

Just to be clear I was talking purely about stats storage, movies and pictures and so on would naturally be huge. I remember reading that they had managed to make the core stats storage minimal and so something they can afford to hold online for years to come. This might have been about Halo 2 stats, so its a really long time ago.

I was surprised at reading it, billions of unique users worth of stats is going to mean huge server costs, even if its just a few kb per person. (I doubt it could be that small, im just overexaggerating here to explain my shock at reading it - then again if they are purely storing text it wouldn't be much bigger, its fairly easy to even store the medals in pure text form).

I was just hoping that maybe they had found a way to store the core stats in a way that they can be stored for years. Cost is an issue and I wouldnt be suprised if rendered videos and screenshots were taken away from Bungie.net, but it would be nice to at least have access to the stats.

Even if Bungie.net pulls that stuff, I would love it if Waypoint supported more than just Reach. :p

Gui_PT

thezerofire said:
I did not know urk was on here. You learn something new every day

Heck, he was one of the cool GAFfers and then he lost all coolness by joining Bungle

I love you man

GhaleonEB

urk said:
We are not minimalists.
Which is one of the reasons I <3

Edit: I do NOT <3 the community that flows through the Firefight Limited playlist. If you guys think you get matched up with bad players in Multiplayer, there ain't no TrueSkill even trying to even things out in here. I've never in my life seen such a crop if scum and villainy.

vhfive

Gui_PT said:
Heck, he was one of the cool GAFfers and then he lost all coolness by joining Bungle

I love you man
yup urk is an OG halogaffer

SailorDaravon said:
Offer still stands anybody!

The last couple of pages reminded me of a conversation I had with some friends over the weekend how awesome Halo 2 was, would still like to see that go up in a non-Vista form. I'd still probably take 3 over 2 overall MP-wise, but I seemed to be the minority in the group.
completely agree

MrDaravon

SailorDaravon said:
Alright then, I've still got 38 render minutes to burn, post links to files if you want me to render them.

Offer still stands anybody!

The last couple of pages reminded me of a conversation I had with some friends over the weekend how awesome Halo 2 was, would still like to see that go up in a non-Vista form. I'd still probably take 3 over 2 overall MP-wise, but I seemed to be the minority in the group.

FourDoor

Hydranockz said:
Cheers for the concern dudes. I am totally stumped as to why it happened. I don't know anyone here bar my roommate. Funny thing was, the slim was on top of my roommate's old model 360 and they left it. Turtle Beach headset was disconnected from the controller they took. LAN cable disconnected too.
Of course I am relieved that nothing else was taken, but I am worried in case that was just a test... they could easily get in again tomorrow or whatever.
I'll report it stolen to Microsoft, luckily I still have the box with the serial number. No accounts on it, no cc details. It was a gift from my siblings for my 21st. I have my own account saved to my roommates console. Still have reach and some controllers that need batteries.
Thanks for the thoughts dudes.

Halo related:
Glitching in possible remake? Day 1 :p

Set up a UStream or Justin.TV account and have a webcam pointed at your front door while you're at work. I'm sure GAF would be more than willing to be your own personal security wactchmen for the next few days just in case they do decide to come back.

My dad felt the need to tell me I got robbed on the 13th, the dudes obsessed. I still have a controller synced to it. I might wander the corridors seeing if it turns on the 360 lol.

I really am thankful you lot would even suggest chipping in to replace it but I don't think that's fair on ye. I'll be ok dudes. Thanks a million though. I'll impart some good news so as not to leave ye slightly down. Turns out I'll be flying to Mexico in August to visit my girlfriend of 2 and a half years! Last time we were together in person was June of last year.
Some would say that is karma. The only reason anyone should feel bad for me now is if the burglars kill me in my sleep :p BAM!

... ok now I won't sleep tonight... so I will play Halo in a few! Join up if you want.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'm VERY excited for PAX Prime '10 this year what with all the Halo news, but damn it, PAX Prime '10 starts the SAME week as my Fall semester. :(

Going to try my hardest to fit my schedule just for this. I want to be there badly.

ElRenoRaven

Domino Theory said:
I'm VERY excited for PAX Prime '10 this year what with all the Halo news, but damn it, PAX Prime '10 starts the SAME week as my Fall semester. :(

Going to try my hardest to fit my schedule just for this. I want to be there badly.

This reminds me those that do go pick up plenty of cool Halo schwag. Since some of us can't make it you are our means to get that stuff without being ripped off by Ebay. lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
PsychoRaven said:
This reminds me those that do go pick up plenty of cool Halo schwag. Since some of us can't make it you are our means to get that stuff without being ripped off by Ebay. lol

Hehe, I still have the goodies that Bungie gave everyone from PAX '08 for Bungie employees to sign.

I still have the best Shishka and Marty autographs to this date. :p

ElRenoRaven

Domino Theory said:
Hehe, I still have the goodies that Bungie gave everyone from PAX '08 for Bungie employees to sign.

Don't tease me bro. I could pull out the I've been to Bungie card. Granted it was years ago when they were still on the Microsoft campus pre Halo 2 but still that counts damn it. LOL

*Edit* Oh. Man if only there was a way to get the calendar I got when I was there signed by as many people there as I could. There would be no way in hell to pull that off though. Also it wouldn't be complete without some of the former Bungie employees that left long ago like Matt and Alex, etc, etc.

Kibbles

Everything good is in Seattle =(

Except the weather. And the Seahawks. :p

[edit] Oh I won't get a quit-ban if I quit Score Attack games or anything right? I'm trying to get Beachead like Ghaleon did and veteod all the maps up until I couldn't even veto anymore. =|

Havok

Kibbles said:
Everything good is in Seattle =(

Except the weather. And the Seahawks. :p

[edit] Oh I won't get a quit-ban if I quit Score Attack games or anything right? I'm trying to get Beachead like Ghaleon did and veteod all the maps up until I couldn't even veto anymore. =|
No, you won't be penalized for quitting.

I do not understand why we couldn't just get a list of gametypes and maps to pick from for Score Attack, rather than being forced to jump through the hoops of voting 9 times just to find that the right combination wasn't in there. I went through the voting process 5 times (45 none of the aboves!) just now, and didn't get the one combination I was hoping to play. Its not like I'm going to ruin the game for anyone by playing what I want to play, because I'm the only goddamn one in there. Either force me to play a map or let me tell the game what I want to play. For example, if there was a box I could check that said "Overlook, Waterfront, and Glacier should never appear in Score Attack for me because I find their very existence offensive as they are abominations and are affronts to everything that is good and holy in this world," I would click that shit in an instant. The system as it is now pleases nobody.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I loved the weather in Seattle. Rainy weather? Yes please!
You can have it. We get rain six months straight. It even rains when it's sunny.

My wife went for a walk today because it was bright and sunny out - at last! She got drenched by a torrential downpour of hail. While the sun was still out.

Mind you, grey and rainy is generally my kind of weather. But after four or five months I'm ready for a bit of sun.

Kibbles

Well I got Beachhead... only 31849 though. I am not worthy.
PsychoRaven said:
You know what it's been awhile since we had a moment like this. So I'm gonna do it. After a nice long break I got back to playing the other week and finally he is complete. LOL

AJhIf.png
But do you have the Master Chief voice?

lybertyboy said:
And the drivers. Just plain awful.

I second that.

Dax01 said:
I loved the weather in Seattle. Rainy weather? Yes please!

It's nice to visit rainy weather on a limited basis, but when you literally don't see the sun for at least 200 straight days a year, it is not fun at all.

Unless you're Urk, because in that case he cannot be exposed to the sun for fear of death, so I'm sure he loves it :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
There are times in Reach when I miss the vehicle play of Halo 3. The Warthog just feel differently this time around but there are moment, minutes of glorious fun when I get behind the wheel and just pig out.

This is one of those times.

As a driver, I don't usually care for kills it's all about risk versus reward for me and the passenger but this game the enemy team had quitters and I had no gunner, so I decided feck it I'll go for it.

No Rocket surprises or Lasers or nades nothing. I nabbed one dude and then crashed into a wall but I had some momentum left over so I though I go for the side, which is tricky to pull off when you have little to no room to move the hog. Usually folks just bounce off the hog's headlights but not this guy.

Can't believe I got the guy. Such a small and insignificant thing to celebrate but I was happy. I t-bagged his corpse with the hog and upon watching the film again noticed my teammate come over for sloppy seconds.

A double kill splatter that leads into a killing frenzy may be nothing in the grand scheme of things, but it was my highlight of that playing session.

urk said:
Roger's Rumpus Room is truly a sight to behold. One day, I will take a picture of it and minds will be blown. It is the furthest thing from trivial you could possibly imagine. We are not minimalists.
As somebody who builds data centers for a living, this man speaks the truth. Plus nobody has even mentioned the cost to power, cool and provide redundant power for everything.

$$$$$

minasodaboy said:
As somebody who builds data centers for a living, this man speaks the truth. Plus nobody has even mentioned the cost to power, cool and provide redundant power for everything.

$$$$$
if only they sold tens of millions copies of their game

lack of resources strikes indie developer Bungie once again

Lake Minnetonka said:
if only they sold tens of millions copies of their game

lack of resources strikes indie developer Bungie once again
Are you seriously calling Bungie cheap?

*remembers who LM is*
Ah, forget I asked.

Ramirez

thee henery said:
Yo Ram what were you saying about guests having their own playlist?

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=567629100&player=The Henery

No, seriously though, I knew the game was lost in the pre-game lobby. Playing splitscreen in this game is much harder than Halo 3, something was changed with the depth perception and you literally have to scope to see enemy's past a certain distance.

They were on a quarter screen. On Hemorrhage. Guests flat out have no business in a playlist such as team snipers.

On a more positive note, the withdrawal of Pinnacle is good for avoiding the quit ban and team classic is absolutely fantastic. Yes the nades are too powerful but it's a minor quibble considering I feel like i'm playing Halo again and actually having that excitement to load the game up in anticipation of that, so props to Bungie on implementing it.

Yea, the game is garbage with guests, they definitely should only play together, for the sanity of both sides. But alas...

Crucio

PsychoRaven said:
Urk you made me laugh my ass off. This reply goes down as one of the best one's I've seen to the crybabies who are crying like you stole their first born.
Another epic response. That's kinda sad though..
You never fail to make us laugh.

Ramirez

Domino Theory said:

You don't have a love note from Cortana, therefore...I win.

Top Bottom