• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Detox said:
Yeah this is possible. I once read some little kids Xbox was stolen thief connected to LIVE, MS tracked the serial number traced IP and cops caught the thief. Granted this was in the US, not sure if UK cops would take it this far they're usually lazy as fuck. Fight somewhere next day they'll come for CCTV lol.

It would be awesome if it worked but yeah, lazy cops are a real problem with this. I don't think an xbox is enough for them to do all the work it will take (Atleast, that's what I'd expect form a Dutch police officer)

And, if the theif is smart enough, he'll just try to sell it to someone and he'll get the blame.

TheOddOne

Cocopjojo said:
nwdbfp.gif

There is never not a reason to post this gif. Man love Jon Hamm <3.

JB1981

PsychoRaven said:
You know what it's been awhile since we had a moment like this. So I'm gonna do it. After a nice long break I got back to playing the other week and finally he is complete. LOL

AJhIf.png

how do you unlock chief helmet?

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
Bungie still has Halo 2 stats on their website, and you can't even play the game anymore. I don't they are overly considered with server usage for stats.

That's a huge difference. Those stats aren't actively being maintained like they are for Reach. They aren't constantly changing minute by minute. Also you will notice that some of the features they had are no longer available. Also by switching it to Microsoft that will free up other resources in the server space and the bandwidth.

PsychoRaven said:
That's a huge difference. Those stats aren't actively being maintained like they are for Reach. They aren't constantly changing minute by minute. Also you will notice that some of the features they had are no longer available.

Also that by switching it to Microsoft that will free up other resources in the server space and the bandwidth.

In the large scale of server usage, I think that stats is probably quite small.

I will be very disappointed if Bungie just takes their stats offline, especially so soon after the launch of the game.

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. The last piece was the gold Visor.

I'm planning making the complete master chief from Halo CE and doing a campaign playtrough with him, just for nostalgic sake :p

Also to celibrate Halo's 10th anniversery, I'm going to do a complete Halo playtrough from Reach to 3, including ODST.
Hopefully, I'll have a new game in the sries to ad to the list in a year or two.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
In the large scale of server usage, I think that stats is probably quite small.

I will be very disappointed if Bungie just takes their stats offline, especially so soon after the launch of the game.

Yes but you're ignoring the bandwidth, etc associated with continuing to host those stats. Do you think those stats just magically show up on your computer? No. They spend money and bandwidth hosting those. Then as said the servers do have to be maintained. All of these costs add up. As I said though that's just one part of why they are ceasing to host stats.

The largest driver is Microsoft. They want the control. Hence all said and done it's not Bungie's choice.

PsychoRaven said:
Yes but you're ignoring the bandwidth, etc associated with continuing to host those stats. Do you think those stats just magically show up on your computer? No. They spend money and bandwidth hosting those. Then as said the servers do have to be maintained. All of these costs add up.

The largest driver though isn't all of that. It's Microsoft. They want the control. Hence all said and done it's not Bungie's choice.

Yeah I get that.

As a consumer that gives MS money for Reach and map packs, I believe it is a poor decision by them to move the stats. I know their are others out that would feel the same way.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I get that.

As a consumer that gives MS money for Reach and map packs, I believe it is a poor decision by them to move the stats. I know their are others out that would feel the same way.

Well you can believe that all you want. For most it won't be an issue. You'd be amazed how many players probably never look at their stats on the website. Also Bungie and Microsoft made it known before Reach even released that this would happen. At the end of the day it's not that big of a deal.

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I get that.

I <3 b.net and everything Bungie has built up there over the years. But it makes much, much more sense to have everything move over to Waypoint once Bungie has gone public with their next game, and once Microsoft is likewise talking up their next. That way there's a single stop shop for Halo, just as there used to be with b.net.

Though, nothing I've seen on Waypoint even holds a candle to what Bungie did with b.net. The organization and what they prioritize isn't in the same league. I hope they eventually get there.

I see this as a painful but necessary step to get out of the way before we see what Bungie and 343i has been up to over the past few years. So in that regard, it's pretty exciting. This year is going to be an amazing year for Halo and Bungie fans.

Zeouterlimits said:
Hearing bad news from fellow HaloGAFer Hydranockz.

Apartment broken into, only thing taken was 360, kinect and controllers...
Didn't take wallets, laptops etc... Apparently even flicked off extension lead before plugging it out.

Terrible (and bizarre). :(
I read it at twitter. It is really bizarre that they just take the gaming gadgets. Otherwise you can replace that stuff. If the relief fund is online, I'm definitely going to spend money!

Edit. I have no access to neogaf with Firefox and other browsers. Anyone has the same problem like me?

PsychoRaven said:
Well you can believe that all you want. For most it won't be an issue. You'd be amazed how many players probably never look at their stats on the website. Also Bungie and Microsoft made it known before Reach even released that this would happen.
At the end of the day it's not that big of a deal.

I don't think it was ever made clear that stats for Halo games that have been on Bungie's website for almost seven years would be moved to a site with inferior stat tracking.

I am aware it will not be a huge deal for the majority of players, but for me it is a big deal. Reach's stat tracking on Bnet is amazing, and I almost always check out my games after I play a session of the game.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
I <3 b.net and everything Bungie has built up there over the years. But it makes much, much more sense to have everything move over to Waypoint once Bungie has gone public with their next game, and once Microsoft is likewise talking up their next. That way there's a single stop shop for Halo, just as there used to be with b.net.

Though, nothing I've seen on Waypoint even holds a candle to what Bungie did with b.net. The organization and what they prioritize isn't in the same league. I hope they eventually get there.

Exactly. We can all agree that it won't hold a candle to what Bungie has done and what they will do. However it is the logical thing to do.

Steelyuhas said:
I don't think it was ever made clear that stats for Halo games that have been on Bungie's website for almost seven years would be moved to a site with inferior stat tracking.

Yes it was. Bungie in several interviews said they'd move Reach's stat tracking to Microsoft. 343I also said these in several interviews. They didn't say Halo 2 or 3's would. Those you can probably expect to just go offline at some point in time.

PsychoRaven said:
Exactly. We can all agree that it won't hold a candle to what Bungie has done and what they will do. However it is the logical thing to do.

Yes it was. Bungie in several interviews said they'd move Reach's stat tracking to Microsoft. 343I also said these in several interviews.

I'd love to see a link to that because I don't remember that.

I understand what you are saying Ghal, but it's not like Bungie is going to wipe their site of everything Halo. You guys thing they are going to take down their Halo Reach project page and all their info, screens, videos and such of the game that they made? That isn't going to happen.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:

I understand what you are saying Ghal, but it's not like Bungie is going to wipe their site of anything Halo. You guys thing they are going to take down their Halo Reach project page and all their info, screens, videos and such of the game that they made? That isn't going to happen.

I'm not going to waste my time digging up links. You can find those yourself. And there is a difference between stats and the other stuff on the site. Nobody said they were going to take down the pages for the games. Just the stat tracking. That's an entirely different thing. The only thing is that they might over time par the pages down to a level more in lines with their older games.

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:
I don't think bungie should give up their stats, I think it will turn out to be a very large mistake for them in the end.

They have to eventually... they're making the transition right now, but its gradual. 343 will control stats, the real problem is what happens with things like fileshares, rendered videos? Is all that going to 343?

ElRenoRaven

A27 Tawpgun said:
They have to eventually... they're making the transition right now, but its gradual. 343 will control stats, the real problem is what happens with things like fileshares, rendered videos? Is all that going to 343?

Now that's the million dollar question. They haven't said for sure what is going to happen to all of that. However judging by their reduction in the duration of Bungie pro membership renewals, it's a safe bet to say that's going to either go away eventually or Microsoft takes that over.

Zeouterlimits said:
I'd agree, but for the fact he only recently moved there on a 7th month work placement.
Doesn't really know anyone in the complex afaik. Still, he doesn't feel safe there tonight, so he probably agrees with you in that sense.

That really sucks, hopefully its just a prank, it doesnt seem like its a real theft as such. Either way he seems like a cool guy and it sucks it would happen to him. (or anyone really), im not just talking about the xbox either, its going to make living in that place a little worrying. :S

If Bungie wipe Halo stats off Bungie.net I hope 343 make stats tracking sites for all our Halo 3 stats aswell. Halo Reach might be the newer game but that doesnt mean people arent playing 3 - online stats are still a significant feature of that game.

I also hope access to file share items and all the stuff like online screenshots and so on isnt lost.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
PsychoRaven said:
You know what it's been awhile since we had a moment like this. So I'm gonna do it. After a nice long break I got back to playing the other week and finally he is complete. LOL

AJhIf.png
NOPE

Wrong kneepads.

vhfive

A27 Tawpgun said:
I wonder about this as well

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:

I understand what you are saying Ghal, but it's not like Bungie is going to wipe their site of everything Halo. You guys thing they are going to take down their Halo Reach project page and all their info, screens, videos and such of the game that they made? That isn't going to happen.
That's not what we were talking about. We were talking about stats and ongoing support - challenges, etc. Of course Bungie will have Halo on their project page. That's another subject entirely.

GhaleonEB said:
That's not what we were talking about. We were talking about stats and ongoing support - challenges, etc. Of course Bungie will have Halo on their project page. That's another subject entirely.

I think what Steelyuhas might have been getting at is that they are not going to purge theyre site of Halo totally, so why even get rid of the stats? I dont mean to put words in his mouth but thats what idea his post triggered in my mind.

Unless Bungie want to totally purge themselves of the fact that Halo even existed I dont see the point of getting rid of stats and not getting rid of things like the project page. I remember reading that the stats storage is pretty minimal. (which suprised me considering how many peoples stats must be stored!).

Of course it would be hidden away on the dark deep corners of Bungie.net, but having it there will be nice.

bobs99 ... said:
I think what Steelyuhas might have been getting at is that they are not going to purge theyre site of Halo totally, so why even get rid of the stats? I dont mean to put words in his mouth but thats what idea his post triggered in my mind.

Unless Bungie want to totally purge themselves of the fact that Halo even existed I dont see the point of getting rid of stats and not getting rid of things like the project page. I remember reading that the stats storage is pretty minimal. (which suprised me considering how many peoples stats must be stored!).

Of course it would be hidden away on the dark deep corners of Bungie.net, but having it there will be nice.

Yeah kind of my point.

They made Reach, 343 did not, so they should have the stats on their page. That's really what it comes down to for me. Bungie has also spent years building that stat functionality, and it is amazing for Reach. I seriously doubt that 343 will have stat tracking on their site that will hold a candle to what Bungie has anytime soon. I don't want to get screwed as a consumer because MS "wants control of everything" or something like that.

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:

I think we need to distinguish some things. We are discussing two separate subjects and they're getting mixed together.

Microsoft wants Waypoint to be the hub for all things Halo going forward. News, videos, Reach stats, all the things we used to get from bungie.net regarding Halo. I suspect stuff like our file shares, video rendering and the like will eventually make it over (though I'm not sure about that last one). Ongoing support.

Then there's something like this, the Reach project page. It will probably, over time, get boiled down to something more like the Halo 3 project page. A record of what Reach was, who made it, and some resources. But that's different from moving the support feature set over to Waypoint. One is looking forward, one is looking back.

Eventually it will just have a home here.
Steelyuhas said:
Yeah kind of my point.

They made Reach, 343 did not, so they should have the stats on their page. That's really what it comes down to for me. Bungie has also spent years building that stat functionality, and it is amazing for Reach. I seriously doubt that 343 will have stat tracking on their site that will hold a candle to what Bungie has anytime soon. I don't want to get screwed as a consumer because MS "wants control of everything" or something like that.
Not sure how you get screwed as a consumer in any of this.

Cheers for the concern dudes. I am totally stumped as to why it happened. I don't know anyone here bar my roommate. Funny thing was, the slim was on top of my roommate's old model 360 and they left it. Turtle Beach headset was disconnected from the controller they took. LAN cable disconnected too.
Of course I am relieved that nothing else was taken, but I am worried in case that was just a test... they could easily get in again tomorrow or whatever.
I'll report it stolen to Microsoft, luckily I still have the box with the serial number. No accounts on it, no cc details. It was a gift from my siblings for my 21st. I have my own account saved to my roommates console. Still have reach and some controllers that need batteries.
Thanks for the thoughts dudes.

Halo related:
Glitching in possible remake? Day 1 :p

bobs99 ... said:

Something Something™ - From the creators of Marathon and Gnop!

Obviously not.

But seriously, I wonder how much the B.net forums will change. If stats and playlist control are handed over to 343, I can see the forums being stripped down to Bungie properties and users being encouraged to discuss Halo-related topics on the (upgraded) Waypoint forums. There isn't a need for an Optimatch forum page if it's all in 343's hands (until the another Bungie game is released with matchmaking).

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah kind of my point.

Why should Bungie have to pay for the constant server changes, uploads, downloads, etc, for a game that they neither own or have full control over after the transition?

What makes you think that the stat tracking the waypoint currently shows (that is clearly marked as a beta) is what we a re going to be stuck with? What makes you think they didn't learn anything from Halo Wars? What makes you think they care about the community any less than Bungie does?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ncsuDuncan said:
...I can see the forums being stripped down to Bungie properties and users being encouraged to discuss Halo-related topics on the (upgraded) Waypoint forums.

Encouraged? I'm going to redirect the url. ;)

Zeouterlimits said:
Hearing bad news from fellow HaloGAFer Hydranockz.

Apartment broken into, only thing taken was 360, kinect and controllers...
Didn't take wallets, laptops etc... Apparently even flicked off extension lead before plugging it out.

Terrible (and bizarre). :(
I had this happen christmas week last year :(

Would have been a major bummer, except my Xbox had just red ringed from a marathon session of rock band the week before. So I bought a brand new elite and had it sitting right next to my old xbox.

The thieves took my red ringed xbox and left the shiny new elite untouched. I'd like to think it was because the black elite was hidden in the shadows of my entertainment system. Regardless, I lucked out big time.

Although I was pretty pissed to see that the robbers were particular about the games they stole. They took all the good ones and left me with the crappy leftovers :p This is also part of the reason I buy so many Games on Demand titles - you can't steal those!

Hydranockz said:
Funny thing was, the slim was on top of my roommate's old model 360 and they left it.
Same thieves?

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
I think we need to distinguish some things. We are discussing two separate subjects and they're getting mixed together.

Microsoft wants Waypoint to be the hub for all things Halo going forward. News, videos, Reach stats, all the things we used to get from bungie.net regarding Halo. I suspect stuff like our file shares, video rendering and the like will eventually make it over (though I'm not sure about that last one). Ongoing support.

Then there's something like this, the Reach project page. It will probably, over time, get boiled down to something more like the Halo 3 project page. A record of what Reach was, who made it, and some resources. But that's different from moving the support feature set over to Waypoint. One is looking forward, one is looking back.

Perfectly summarized. And this stuff happens. It does suck that Bungie won't be handling all this stuff till the game gets shutdown for good. However it has to be this way. Nobody is saying that they're happy it's happening. However times change. Things change. We may not always like how they change but we can't keep them from changing.

Someday you'll look back and think gee I got so upset over that.

urk said:
Encouraged? I'm going to redirect the url. ;)

Don't make me a promise you can't keep. lol

Hey You

I know I'm late.

Tunavi said:
Ugh, I love Bungie.net's layout wayy too much
Me too. And Since I changed the WLID on my GT I cannot use Waypoints forums :/

That means I won't be able to give direct feedback on Reach.

Hey You

Detox said:
Yeah this is possible. I once read some little kids Xbox was stolen thief connected to LIVE, MS tracked the serial number traced IP and cops caught the thief. Granted this was in the US, not sure if UK cops would take it this far they're usually lazy as fuck. Fight somewhere next day they'll come for CCTV lol.
Its worth a try for him to contact his local police and ask them to contact Microsoft.

I've heard a couple of stories about that sort of thing happening. I think they were in the USA though.

Hydranockz said:
Cheers for the concern dudes. I am totally stumped as to why it happened. I don't know anyone here bar my roommate. Funny thing was, the slim was on top of my roommate's old model 360 and they left it. Turtle Beach headset was disconnected from the controller they took. LAN cable disconnected too.
Of course I am relieved that nothing else was taken, but I am worried in case that was just a test... they could easily get in again tomorrow or whatever.
I'll report it stolen to Microsoft, luckily I still have the box with the serial number. No accounts on it, no cc details. It was a gift from my siblings for my 21st. I have my own account saved to my roommates console. Still have reach and some controllers that need batteries.
Thanks for the thoughts dudes.

Halo related:
Glitching in possible remake? Day 1 :p

That sounds like a worst case scenario, but just in case you should probably leave anything of real value at work if you can. :/

Top Bottom