• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Domino Theory said:
The new Waypoint Update is out and it is FUCKING AWESOME. Viewing your stats, in detail, on your console is just too good.
Wow, for some reason I thought that Update was further out. I'll have to go make some stats worth looking up.

GhaleonEB said:
Status of 3-day PAX Prime 2011 pass: purchased.
Awesome. Gonna buy mine as soon as I get home from work.

Gui_PT said:
This is probably too much to ask. But could someone get an extra poster signed by Bungie folk and send it to me? I'd pay for everything.

It's just that I'll never be able to go to one of those events, unfortunately. So I'll never meet those guys and get autographs =(
Remind me closer to PAX and I'll be glad to do it.

GloveSlap

xxxstylzxxx said:
The problem I see with some of the maps has to do with the what I feel are the poorly designed middle areas which are virtual death traps due to their size combined with providing little to no cover against long range firepower. And as a result, at least from my experiences, the matches turn into 10 minutes standoffs as each side just camps their own base and/or teleporters with the occasional charge that's more or less a futile effort. And don't even get me started on Mutli flag CTF.

Bendarius Ridge is the biggest offender. There are literally two airplane runways separating the two halves of the map and one half is way more fortified than the other. Such a piece of shit.

I actually really like most of the CBTB maps, and most put Bungie's efforts to shame (Montana Gambit especially). I am just liking big team in general because the bloom system actually works the way it should for the most part at that range. I know alot of people hate the vehicles in big team but i kind of like that i can blow them up with guns now. I have always been an on foot person so its nice to be able to defend myself without stickies.

The banshee is really broken, but it always has been IMO. The plasma cannon just makes it even worse. I honestly hate any vehicle where the person's body isn't exposed. I want to be able to 5 shot somebody while they are in a vehicle if my aim is on point.

Hey HaloGaf I'm itching to come back but I have a couple questions. If I can only afford to buy one map pack is it even worth coming back? Is armor lock still as bad (annoying) as before?

So I just checked my schedule, and by all means I should be able to go to PAX. I think the flight and the hotel are within budget, too.

How many GAFers are going?

Also, to those who tried my Firefight gametype, how'd you like it? Does it need tweaking?

cuevas said:
Hey HaloGaf I'm itching to come back but I have a couple questions. If I can only afford to buy one map pack is it even worth coming back? Is armor lock still as bad (annoying) as before?

The Noble pack is currently on sale for 400MS points.

Armor Lock is still possibly the worst design decision I have ever seen in a shooter.

Striker

GloveSlap said:
I know alot of people hate the vehicles in big team but i kind of like that i can blow them up with guns now. I have always been an on foot person so its nice to be able to defend myself without stickies.

The banshee is really broken, but it always has been IMO. The plasma cannon just makes it even worse. I honestly hate any vehicle where the person's body isn't exposed. I want to be able to 5 shot somebody while they are in a vehicle if my aim is on point.
Vehicles should be powerful, but at the same time, not over-powered like Halo 3's Warthog.

I liked the mix in Halo 2 with the health system related to the vehicles. Chip away piece by piece on the Warthog, and eventually it will be taken down. Dual SMG's eat away Banshees quite quickly, and worked well. You weren't forced to have a power weapon or piece of high explosives to take it down. Ghosts were speedy and agile, but BR or Snipe the gas tank, and it is seconds away from being wiped out.

Everything related has gone downhill since, unfortunately. Reach's vehicles have some quality, though. The Warthog isn't overpowered anymore, and regained speed since Halo 3. The Falcon is a treat, but being a "Warthog in the sky" and lacking any passenger for CTF/Assault is a big head scratcher.

cuevas said:
Both map packs are solid. I would at least recommend both.

Armor Lock is an interesting case. It really depends what you play. BTB nut? Yeah, it's in there, as it should be. Multi-team? FFA?

There's going to be 3-basic Slayer playlists and one will contain Armor Lock

Team Arena - Sprint, Hologram, Jetpack
Squad Slayer - Sprint, Hologram, Jetpack, Camo
Team Slayer (now using only Community maps) - everything inc. Armor Lock afaik

Striker said:
Armor Lock is an interesting case. It really depends what you play. BTB nut? Yeah, it's in there, as it should be. Multi-team? FFA?

I have always been a TS/Objective guy but I will probably stick to the MLG playlist. Does that require the map packs? I looked at it and it has all custom maps.

GhaleonEB

Did some Community BTB for the Credits for Completion Challenge today. The maps in there are a horror show. Renegade is further proof that nothing good will come of the gulch, and Rift is a convoluted mess.

I wish people would realize that just because you put a laser on the map, it does not automatically balance out the rest of the vehicles.

Let me reiterate my approval of Renegade which is a much more efficient use of the BG/Coags play space. Not only would I love for it to be included into the regular BTB rotation but as far as I'm concerned they could pretty much scrap Hemorrhage all together and officially replace it with this map.

Edit: @Ghaleon - Totally in agreement with Rift but I actually really enjoy Renegade. While not the greatest BTB map I think we can agree that it is significantly better than Hemorrhage.

Striker

cuevas said:
I have always been a TS/Objective guy but I will probably stick to the MLG playlist. Does that require the map packs? I looked at it and it has all custom maps.
Well, Arena at this point does not use it. Squad won't use it. Objective does I believe, but it isn't a hassle. I am more annoyed with bubble shields in there. Bubble shields in general suck.

xxxstylzxxx said:
Let me reiterate my approval of Renegade which is a much more efficient use of the BG/Coags play space. Not only would I love for it to be included into the regular BTB rotation but as far as I'm concerned they could pretty much scrap Hemorrhage all together and officially replace it with this map.
There's a Coag version out there. Basement and all. More rock coverage for the blue team teleporter, and red team's teleporter got moved back like it was in Coag. Rockets back in the middle as well.

It's above Hemorrhage quick a bit I would say. Unfortunately it won't be added since it's almost the same, but improved. :\

neclas

GhaleonEB said:
Did some Community BTB for the Credits for Completion Challenge today. The maps in there are a horror show.
Completely agree. I play in the playlist because end up in big parties and people either want to try the maps out or genuinely like the maps (they describe why, but their reasons are usually only true when the enemies don't know how to play halo).

Hey You

cuevas said:
Only the two DLC playlists require the map packs. If you have the (or a) DLC, Matchmaking will try to put you into a game with other DLC owners. I get DLC maps show up in other playlists 75% of the games I play.

MrBig

Played some Reach with a friend yesterday. There are 3 warnings about buying the DLC. Two popups that require action to get rid of them.
Bad Bungle. No.
I get that money is good and all but that's just not right.

Havok

Striker said:
Well, Arena at this point does not use it. Squad won't use it. Objective does I believe, but it isn't a hassle. I am more annoyed with bubble shields in there. Bubble shields in general suck.

There's a Coag version out there. Basement and all. More rock coverage for the blue team teleporter, and red team's teleporter got moved back like it was in Coag. Rockets back in the middle as well.

It's above Hemorrhage quick a bit I would say. Unfortunately it won't be added since it's almost the same, but improved. :\
Does that version have the Banshee in the bases like Coag? If so, do not want, at least not unless the rockets are somehow magically un-nerfed so that its not virtually impossible to hit a decent Banshee pilot.

Striker

Havok said:
Does that version have the Banshee in the bases like Coag? If so, do not want, at least not unless the rockets are somehow magically un-nerfed so that its not virtually impossible to hit a decent Banshee pilot.
Yeah it does, and with DMR starts, the Banshees aren't barbarians like they are in Paradiso and Spire. Team DMR fire takes them out kind of quick if coordinated enough. There isn't any room to run and hide unlike the other maps.

If you get on any time I can show you it.

MrBig said:
Played some Reach with a friend yesterday. There are 3 warnings about buying the DLC. Two popups that require action to get rid of them.
Bad Bungle. No.
I get that money is good and all but that's just not right.
Have you seen the population of the DLC playlists? They're doing sub-TO numbers.

Needs more forced DLC pop-ups IMO

Havok

Striker said:
Yeah it does, and with DMR starts, the Banshees aren't barbarians like they are in Paradiso and Spire. Team DMR fire takes them out kind of quick if coordinated enough. There isn't any room to run and hide unlike the other maps.

If you get on any time I can show you it.
All right, I'll be on in a couple hours if you're there and we can run through it. Hopefully the open space of that canyon helps like you say, the Banshee breaks just about every map its on at this point. Breakpoint was a total nightmare for infantry before it was removed.

ElRenoRaven

Wow that update was I believe the weakest one ever done. The tidbit about new information coming soon gives me hope for the future though.

Gui_PT said:
This is probably too much to ask. But could someone get an extra poster signed by Bungie folk and send it to me? I'd pay for everything.

It's just that I'll never be able to go to one of those events, unfortunately. So I'll never meet those guys and get autographs =(
Purchased my 3-Day pass.

I'll definitely snag some extra posters again this year if I can. If I do I will give them out the same way I did last year. But perhaps I'll put one aside especially for you ;)

So who all is going to Pax this year?

Ghal
Domino
Myself

Edit: Any reason the WU was so lame this week? He could have at least given a shoutout to SaviourSoul, he got Inheritor rank a day or two ago. I figured for sure the would mention that.

Gui_PT

Devin Olsen said:
Purchased my 3-Day pass.

I'll definitely snag some extra posters again this year if I can. If I do I will give them out the same way I did last year. But perhaps I'll put one aside especially for you ;)

So who all is going to Pax this year?

Ghal
Domino
Myself

Thank you. Whoever does it(if someone does it), just know I'll pay for whatever it costs.

Crucio

PsychoRaven said:
Wow that update was I believe the weakest one ever done. This tidbit gives me hope for the future though.
Hey if there's nothing to say, there's nothing to say! At least we got those piano versions of those songs as suggested by Marty. Thanks urk, Marty.

neoism

depthofawesome.jpg

this pic is insane.. :O

/\ O gawd...in mah pants...

MrBig said:
BWU

My depiction of lekgolo reproduction has not been given the proper display it deserves :(
I quite liked your take on the subject. I thought it clever. Off the beaten path and such.

Devin Olsen said:
Any reason the WU was so lame this week? He could have at least given a shoutout to SaviourSoul, he got Inheritor rank a day or two ago. I figured for sure the would mention that.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was to save the guy from becoming a larger target to acct hax. I mean, I'm sure he already has enough trouble in that regard. Just a guess. It's certainly worth mentioning though. It's a tremendous feat, logistically speaking.

Tawpgun

xxjuicesxx said:
where the hells HaloGAF? I'm trying to GoW3 it.
Wait until Monday when Bulletstorm peeps get in. Then wait until the week after when everyone else who pre-ordered gets in.

Unless, you know, you have a code for me...

Tawpgun

A27 Tawpgun said:
Wait until Monday when Bulletstorm peeps get in. Then wait until the week after when everyone else who pre-ordered gets in.

Unless, you know, you have a code for me...
Nevermind. Downloading now.

LosDaddie

Banned
I'm getting online right now, if anyone wants to join. I don't care what we play.

GT is the same as here. Send me a message or leave yours here and I'll invite you.

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:
Get me a code dawg.

WTH, Omlet, Therms, Alien, and Juices all on Gears 3. I know Juices is EZ, how did you other 3 get in? :(
Shogun got a twitter code and said he gave it to his "boy" not sure who that would be.

But the Expertzone exploit for the Reach Beta works here too... if anyone were to be so interested...

Anyway, after playing Gears 3 I have to say....Dedicated Servers should be a must for the Gears, CoD, Halo trifecta. Its so good.

Ramirez

A27 Tawpgun said:
Shogun got a twitter code and said he gave it to his "boy" not sure who that would be.

But the Expertzone exploit for the Reach Beta works here too... if anyone were to be so interested...

Anyway, after playing Gears 3 I have to say....Dedicated Servers should be a must for the Gears, CoD, Halo trifecta. Its so good.

What exploit?

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:
What exploit?
You basically register on Expertzone as a walmart employee, take a test, and recieve code.

I'm surprised they didn't fix that little thing after shit tons of people got into the Reach beta that way.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27 Tawpgun said:
You basically register on Expertzone as a walmart employee, take a test, and recieve code.

I'm surprised they didn't fix that little thing after shit tons of people got into the Reach beta that way.

My cousin just texted me and told me he got in like that. Anyone have a link with proper instructions?

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
My cousin just texted me and told me he got in like that. Anyone have a link with proper instructions?
Check PM's

EDIT: Apparently they clamped down on it. Rumor is it doesn't work anymore. Sorry. They're still giving away codes on twitterz and such. It's like Defiant all over again.

Tawpgun

Apparantly Expertzone fixed it, but here is the post. You can always see if it will still work.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27163455&postcount=2375

But uh yeah. Halo.

Needs dedicated servers now. 343, sell the secret to Reach's net code, get money, tap into MSoft's bottomless pit of wealth, get money, and get some Dedicated Servers because its going to be hard getting re-aquainted with the idea of lag after playing on a game with dedicated servers.

But I heard its impossible with Halo's no-join-mid-game formula. Is this true?

Ramirez

Just worked for me...the d/l is 88 MB, but then there's like a 500 MB update, so I guess we'll see if it still works once I d/l this. :p

That was the easiest thing I've ever done, I feel dirty.

Shogun, you were ratting on people sharing the beta? For shame sir.

Lazslo

Hey Battlebros, I have a Halo: Reach Recon code for anyone who is interested. Just shoot me a Pm and I'll send it to you. If no one asks for it, I'll just post it in the thread for any unendowed lurkeryloos. Cheers

Nutter

Ramirez said:
Just worked for me...the d/l is 88 MB, but then there's like a 500 MB update, so I guess we'll see if it still works once I d/l this. :p

That was the easiest thing I've ever done, I feel dirty.

Shogun, you were ratting on people sharing the beta? For shame sir.
I dont see the banner anywhere :[

Top Bottom