• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Single player is okay so far. Not liking it as much as Halo CE or even 3 at the moment. I should probably get live gold or at least LAN with my buddies :/

ElRenoRaven

Crucio said:
Hey if there's nothing to say, there's nothing to say! At least we got those piano versions of those songs as suggested by Marty. Thanks urk, Marty.

Hey I understand that. That doesn't change the fact that it was weak when it comes to actual information. There is nothing wrong with that because as I acknowledged it does at least give us hope of more info coming soon on the new hotness etc.

Not every week can be information packed.

Ramirez said:
Just worked for me...the d/l is 88 MB, but then there's like a 500 MB update, so I guess we'll see if it still works once I d/l this. :p

That was the easiest thing I've ever done, I feel dirty.

Shogun, you were ratting on people sharing the beta? For shame sir.
I'm on Epic's forum as we speak listing all the people who have illegally hacked Microsoft's system.

Keep admitting to it guys, I'll be a hero.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lake Minnetonka said:
I'm on Epic's forum as we speak listing all the people who have illegally hacked Microsoft's system.

Keep admitting to it guys, I'll be a hero.
It was me Minnetonka it was me all along!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I got the code but Xbox.com refuses to let me redeem it. I'll put it in my Xbox and download it this weekend. Let me know how it is fools.

GhaleonEB

I had some fun today doing what I call reverse griefing in Firefight Limited today.

In this game on Beachhead, one guy quits right away. The other one just idles, at first. Which is fine with me, Beachhead is my favorite Firefight map, and I'm happy to plug away solo. After ten minutes, he takes to running into the crowd and dying, taking us down to no lives left. Pretty clear at this point his plan is to wait for me to die, then kill himself and end the game. Problem is, I keep not dying.

Around 20 minute in he's taken to shooting me and otherwise trying to harass me into dying. He's getting desperate, and my enjoyment of the game keeps going up. On one of my Wraith killing expeditions, a drop pod of Brutes lands in the base where he's hanging out and he gets toasted. Last man standing.

Problem is, there's another Wraith to deal with, two Hunters, about four pissed off gold Elites and most of those Brutes on my tail. So I take my sweet time working around the map managing one threat at a time. Around three minutes into this, he finally gives up and quits. I finish things off and work through the last five minutes of the game in peace.

I won.

Just now, I had game #2. As before, one of the other two dudes quits, leaving me with one idling partner.

A ways into the second Round - I still haven't died - he takes to running around with a gravity hammer he found, charging anything that moves (including me). He eventually gives up on draining the lives when it's clear I'm not going to help out, and he plays a bit straight in the third Round. He's not bad.

You ever just get into a zone and play much better than you know you should be? That was the kind of game it was. This was a typical round, where we plow through a wave of Brutes and Grunts in less than a minute. At the end, I feel like I beat another griefer, and I get over 6,800 in cR for payout.

It was good day. :D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ramirez said:
Just worked for me...the d/l is 88 MB, but then there's like a 500 MB update, so I guess we'll see if it still works once I d/l this. :p

That was the easiest thing I've ever done, I feel dirty.

Shogun, you were ratting on people sharing the beta? For shame sir.

Yep, already went over that in the main thread though. I don't agree with that account sharing crap.

Side note, holy shit this beta is awesome. Halo done had it's cool-aid stole.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Shogun got a twitter code and said he gave it to his "boy" not sure who that would be.

But the Expertzone exploit for the Reach Beta works here too... if anyone were to be so interested...

Anyway, after playing Gears 3 I have to say....Dedicated Servers should be a must for the Gears, CoD, Halo trifecta. Its so good.

I meant one of my boys, in the "unclan" I'm in.

But to be honest, I'll probably give it to my nephew. His head will explode when I sent it to him.

I had two games of Gears so far, I know nothing about it cause I never really played 1 or 2. First game I went 1-7 and couldn't get a fucking kill it was so annoying. Second game I went 17 and 4 and all I did was shotgun.

Stupid fuckshittrollbaitfuck. Fix your fucking game and give the long weapons some real power.

I swear Gears 3 is the same as every other one isn't it?

def sim

AlmostMilk said:
I think halo is fine with a host. If any game does host the best, its halo. If any game did it the worst, it was gears.

This isn't totally a Gears vs Halo thing. PC shooters have been enjoying dedicated servers for a long, long time and console games need to step it up. Especially when we're paying $40-$60 a year for the privilege.

AlmostMilk said:
I think halo is fine with a host. If any game does host the best, its halo. If any game did it the worst, it was gears.

But the thing that halo did was just give a lot of "ties" where both of you die.

rance said:
This isn't totally a Gears vs Halo thing. PC shooters have been enjoying dedicated servers for a long, long time and console games need to step it up. Especially when we're paying $40-$60 a year for the privilege.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't add it, I am saying that there are a lot of other games that need dedicated servers. I am only saying, as far as host goes, halo is fine with it (except reach, only because it likes to switch so much)

AlmostMilk said:
I'm not saying that they shouldn't add it, I am saying that there are a lot of other games that need dedicated servers. I am only saying, as far as host goes, halo is fine with it (except reach, only because it likes to switch so much)
Yep. Key word there is "need". Halo on dedicated servers would be an improvement, but Gears without dedicated servers has been crap, historically.

But overall, yeah, you wouldnt see me complaining if dedicated servers became the norm. And if Games like Gears 3 apply enough pressure to the shooter world to make something like that happen, we would all benefit as online gamers.

Firefight Survival Version 1.1
Tweaks:
- Increased starting lives to 2 (three total lives). Extra lives are not enabled.
- Increased weapon damage to 110%. Weapon damage gets negated in the second round.
- Removed Skirmishers/Zealots from first round.

I wanted this mode to get harder and harder, but I found that it was really tough getting passed the first round. These fixes make the first round manageable.

Download it here. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: The ExpertZone way didn't work for me. The "You've Earned It" banner won't show up. :^(

Kuroyume

Banned
The entire time I was playing it all I could think was how Uncharted does the multiplayer so much better. You can hardly jump over most of the obstacles on this game or jump off ledges. Everything feels so clunky. It's like controlling tanks. I was getting destroyed of course but started to get a hang of it before I stopped playing.

Anyway, as for Halo it definitely needs dedicated servers. Not sure what causes so many black screens in Reach compared to the previous games but Halo 3 was pretty bad at it already and this one feels so much worse. Is it the graphics? What exactly causes it? Whoever was in charge of that part of the online did an awful job with that. Seriously. Also, why a black screen? Like, put a fucking picture or animation on there or something. The screen is so bland and annoying.

Tunavi

Banned
I don't know which I hate more: playing full parties and the fact that they use drop shield in objective, or the randoms on my team that all go -14

Edit: I realized I was playing against a party of people who usually play with Gamesager. They were really good. Ugh

Tunavi said:
I don't know which I hate more: playing full parties and the fact that they use drop shield in objective, or the randoms on my team that all go -14

I wish they'd get to making a mercenary playlist already. Seems they don't really know what to do with Halo anymore.

wwm0nkey

Yeah I didnt like Gears 1 and HATED Gears 2 but holy shit Gears of War 3 is amazing and actually has color now too! :D

343i take notes from Gears 3, THIS is how a follow up is done with out adding stupid crap like equipment and AA's

All this tal about the Gears 3 beta gots me into downloading it too. The only problem is, I don't know if the expert zone methode works for people outside the US. Could somebody PM me the exact details and perhaps a link to the right site?

Crucio said:
Guys check out Fails of the Weak #30. Some great clips this week! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10tWqO2zt-k&list=SL

The target locator fail with the marine is like a magnified allegory for every scrub that's ever run in front of my stickies indebting me to the respawn screen twice as long.

All this talk of dedicated servers really has me hoping for the same in the next Halo. I think highly of Reach's netcode but you can't escape the fact that with p2p somebody will always have an unfair advantage. I remember playing an arena game a few weeks ago against three Columbian's and a guy from Singapore and the DMR could not cope with the latency.

So I havent played the Gears beta, but from what I have read I really like theyre take on TDM.

Rather than it being first to 50, both teams have 50 lives and each death depletes the pool. Eventually when it comes down to the last 4 lives it basically turns into a survivor thing where each death means you wont spawn back in.

That could lead to some pretty epic moments, imagine a match where your the last guy alive on your team, the other team still has all 4 people, and you go beast and win.

Seems like a fun take on traditional TDM.

I know Gears isnt the first game to impliment this type of thing, even Halo 3 had something similar, but it was never really widely played. :(

Striker

In Halo, teams would then either creep themselves in corners or tight spots and wait it out, or play defense at their own base waiting for the other team to come to them. It seems like a different and unique take on Deathmatch, but if works in Gears it absolutely doesn't mean it would in Halo.

Hell in Halo 3 they had some Slayer variant where the winning team had waypoints on their head. *thumbs up*

Striker said:
In Halo, teams would then either creep themselves in corners or tight spots and wait it out, or play defense at their own base waiting for the other team to come to them. It seems like a different and unique take on Deathmatch, but if works in Gears it absolutely doesn't mean it would in Halo.

Hell in Halo 3 they had some Slayer variant where the winning team had waypoints on their head. *thumbs up*

Oh yeah as a competitive mode it would suck. It would be a pretty cool option to have though, even if it was just in custom games where everyone went by honour rules such as no camping. To be fair I think the camping issue will happen in Gears aswell, there will be some absolutely epic matches but I imagine there will be a lot of dull ones aswell.

To be fair though, I still remember matches where it would be me and like a friend, or me on my own after an entire team quit, and then pulling out the win, it felt amazing. :p I think the mode could work in older Halo, Reach would be too camper friendly though.

O D I N

xxjuicesxx said:
where the hells HaloGAF? I'm trying to GoW3 it.

Buddy of mine just got me a code. I'll join you later today when I try it out.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Firefight Survival Version 1.1
Tweaks:
- Increased starting lives to 2 (three total lives). Extra lives are not enabled.
- Increased weapon damage to 110%. Weapon damage gets negated in the second round.
- Removed Skirmishers/Zealots from first round.

I wanted this mode to get harder and harder, but I found that it was really tough getting passed the first round. These fixes make the first round manageable.

Download it here. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: The ExpertZone way didn't work for me. The "You've Earned It" banner won't show up. :^(

Gonna try it sometime soon. Looking forward to it.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
I think the mode could work in older Halo, Reach would be too camper friendly though.
I don't think Reach would be any different. How more camp friendly? Adjust appropriate loadouts, i.e. Arena's loadouts, so there isn't anything too abusive. But again, it still isn't something I would necessarily be beating a dead horse for. Some people no matter what the circumstances seem to group up and camp as it is, whether Reach or older games.

I think 343 should adopt some of objective variant similar to Halo 2's Low Ball. Each team member is required to get certain amount of carry time to lapse the team's overall score. They also had a Slayer variant like this where each person had the get a minimum amount of kills before the actual team score raised. Believe it was 10 kills. Something along those lines would require more teamwork and team efficiency, in my view.

MrBig said:
Played some Reach with a friend yesterday. There are 3 warnings about buying the DLC. Two popups that require action to get rid of them.
Bad Bungle. No.
I get that money is good and all but that's just not right.
And by 'action' you mean 'pressing the A button', right?

That's rough, bro. My sympathies.

MrBig

Shake Appeal said:
And by 'action' you mean 'pressing the A button', right?

That's rough, bro. My sympathies.
It's still something that could turn many people off from playing the game or makes them believe that DLC is required when they see multiple warnings and constantly flashing warnings in lobbies.

kylej

Banned
AlmostMilk said:

So Halo games are fine with not having dedicated servers, except for Reach because Reach has horrendous black-screens and phantom lag.

Halo 3 is even worse.

And Halo 2 can't be played anymore.

What?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
xxjuicesxx said:
I had two games of Gears so far, I know nothing about it cause I never really played 1 or 2. First game I went 1-7 and couldn't get a fucking kill it was so annoying. Second game I went 17 and 4 and all I did was shotgun.

Stupid fuckshittrollbaitfuck. Fix your fucking game and give the long weapons some real power.

I swear Gears 3 is the same as every other one isn't it?

You're playing wrong. Hammerburst and Retrolancer are EXTREMELY powerful.

Retro lancer actually can out perform a gnasher.

Hey You

It would be nice for the next Halo game to have dedicated servers. But I won't cry if we don't. Sure the Lag and constant host changes are annoying, but its not like they happen every game.

Mojo said:
Weekly done, first one in a month or so. More easy ones plz
Enjoy having it completed. Every Second week is a LASO Campaign challenge :/

For the next Halo game if they go back to the Halo 3 style (No AA's, same settings etc etc) I would like a Playlist or atleast Gametypes that contain Reach settings.

I enjoy both Halo 3 and Reach style of Multiplayer and in the next Halo game why not put both into it?

Like have the main multiplayer with the new Halo Game settings, but have Reach gametypes built in as Default gametypes. In Gametype settings, have the ability to have loadouts and AA's.

Alienshogun said:
You're playing wrong. Hammerburst and Retrolancer are EXTREMELY powerful.

Retro lancer actually can out perform a gnasher.

Yea I assumed so, probably I'm just playing in a beginners mode I'm so new but I've had a few breakout games here and there, like where I do 17-17-2 and stuff.

Gears is good but it essentially seems like the same MP game as 1 and 2. Where the hell is theater? Why can't I make clips and rewatch my matches? Just seems like such a limited feature set compared to Reach. Also wheres my stats online how do I link my games? Essentially every game is lost after its played.

Maybe cause its beta, but its things like that that will have me back to Halo in a month.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
xxjuicesxx said:
Yea I assumed so, probably I'm just playing in a beginners mode I'm so new but I've had a few breakout games here and there, like where I do 17-17-2 and stuff.

Gears is good but it essentially seems like the same MP game as 1 and 2. Where the hell is theater? Why can't I make clips and rewatch my matches? Just seems like such a limited feature set compared to Reach. Also wheres my stats online how do I link my games?

Maybe cause its beta, but its things like that that will have me back to Halo in a month.

They are hinting at theater in a TU, but who knows. The MP is refined from 1 and 2. It's the best of the 3. Stats are all in game, I think they are hinting at an indepth online website too though.

If gears was never your thing, it probably won't be. It has a steep learning curve that will probably turn a lot of people off.

Alienshogun said:
They are hinting at theater in a TU, but who knows. The MP is refined from 1 and 2. It's the best of the 3. Stats are all in game, I think they are hinting at an indepth online website too though.

If gears was never your thing, it probably won't be. It has a steep learning curve that will probably turn a lot of people off.

I'm trying to like it. Maybe we can get some games in and you can show me whats up.

One thing I really like is they basically made the perfect assist system. I get so many damn assists because its all damage based. Some big assists and some really small ones but they all seem to count, Its what I suggested Reach did back during my beta impressions. Honestly I couldn't think of a way they could improve it.

Top Bottom