• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Butane123

NullPointer said:
It could also use a Mercenaries playlist (no parties).
I think that would actually be nice to have right now since I've been spoiled to the point where I have to play with friends, but can't always have a party when I want to play some games.

At least I've started to get into Rumble Pit... Now if Juggernaut showed up more often.

NullPointer said:
Whats the problem though? You play out the match with full teams, it ends, and the next one starts. Thats better than starting a match and having two of your teammates drop out. You either have to play it out and bear it or quit out and put yourself back into matchmaking and hope it doesn't happen again.

Is it a stats problem?

I have no interest in joining a game two-thirds of the way over on a team that's getting spanked. Yes, if sucks to eat a loss on that, but more importantly that's just not an enjoyable experience.

Karl2177 said:
It'd definitely be considered more like a Halo 3 social environment. Kinda reminds me more of MW2, with loadouts and all. One thing I think Reach failed in was gametype customization. I kinda wish we had a gametype where we could select our preferred primary, sidearm, and AA. Maybe, I'm just looking for a game more like CoD with Halo like gameplay...

Maybe they could do something like Gears. In the Gears 3 Beta, Social games had drop in and out, not penalty for quitting, not party restrictions, etc. Then they had ranked games with had party restrictions, no drop out and in, big penalty for quitting.

Steelyuhas said:
I have no interest in joining a game two-thirds of the way over on a team that's getting spanked. Yes, if sucks to eat a loss on that, but more importantly that's just not an enjoyable experience.
If its a choice between that or bring stuck on a team a few men down from quitters, I'd prefer the former to the latter myself.

Recarpo

NullPointer said:
Whats the problem though? You play out the match with full teams, it ends, and the next one starts. Thats better than starting a match and having two of your teammates drop out. You either have to play it out and bear it or quit out and put yourself back into matchmaking and hope it doesn't happen again.

Is it a stats problem?

It's not a stats problem, for me it's a more that wouldn't be fun at all to get into a game that has lost a player and is probably losing by no fault of my own, problem. If I could toggle it off so I would never have to deal with it, I wouldn't have a problem.

NullPointer said:
Whats the problem though? You play out the match with full teams, it ends, and the next one starts.

Is it a stats problem?

It's an interesting debate. I think that DIDO can actually encourage quitting in instances where the score isn't very close. And chances are, if people quit already, it's not.

That's why I think having a DIDO playlist would be an ideal compromise. After all, it does have its benefits. Like, I would love to go into a DIDO playlist while I'm waiting for friends to hop on, then they could just instantly join my matchmaking game, or I could just drop out to join them.

Steelyuhas said:
You ever play on a Valve game? You join in-progress and then the game constantly rebalances and shuffles teams based on perceived imbalances. More importantly, you stay in the group so even if you join a game that's in-progress, once the match is over you can get one that's fresh after this one finishes. It makes for a much better jump in experience. In Reach, playing as or against a team with at least a man down is pretty commonplace, it's just not a good thing in execution I think.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I mean there is no perfect solution to this problem.
I guess. I just can't remember ever really having this kind of problem in the COD games. People drop out and new people drop in and the game continues. Also, when a team is royally kicking your ass the game usually ends pretty quickly, which I look upon as mercy. ;P

Then again I really don't care much for stats and know that in all of these games I'll only ever be a middling player, so the fun is all in the action and having a good match.

stephen08

Devolution said:
If trueskill managed to work worth a damn it wouldn't be a common occurrence anyway.

If you guys want close matches try Arena or MLG. Searching in Objective for a full team able to give you a run for your money would produce unreasonable search times. It's a small playlist.

Tunavi

Banned
oh my god LOL at the thread title change!
If you missed it

"I tried many different objects: bananas, pears, the broken off handle of a swiffer mop, and cucumbers. I finally settled on cucumbers."

"Meanwhile, I had spent $120 on cucumbers and Vaseline."

thats got to be like 250 cucumbers.......

GhaleonEB

Ever go back and watch the saved film during a really long host change? First pic leads to the video; the actual host change was about three minutes long.

reach_20953989_Full.jpg

Also, this blue was a huge threat, he was trying to hide by running straight into a rock wall. We had to break out the five man wedge formation on him.

reach_20953991_Full.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
Ever go back and watch the saved film during a really long host change? First pic leads to the video; the actual host change was about three minutes long.

Whoa that rendered video is pretty wild, I never thought to look at film of a host change.

Was that thread title change really necessary lol

PNut

Banned
Does anyone know why Living Dead is so popular in Reach? Right now it's beating out every other playlist. Even TEAM SLAYER. In Halo 3 Grifball was more popular than LD. It's crazy.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PNut said:
Does anyone know why Living Dead is so popular in Reach? Right now it's beating out every other playlist. Even TEAM SLAYER. In Halo 3 Grifball was more popular than LD. It's crazy.

Lowest common denominator playlist.

feel

Steelyuhas said:
Was that thread title change really necessary lol
Poor Ghaleon. On the other hand, if Bishop sticks to playing the game semi-regularly, it should be entertaining seeing the title changing often and getting incrementally angrier, until the inevitable "|OT5| Frankie save us"

stephen08 said:
If you guys want close matches try Arena or MLG. Searching in Objective for a full team able to give you a run for your money would produce unreasonable search times. It's a small playlist.

Are you trolling or just acting oblivious?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Letters said:
Poor Ghaleon. On the other hand, if Bishop sticks to playing the game semi-regularly, it should be entertaining seeing the title changing often and getting incrementally angrier, until the inevitable "|OT5| Frankie save us"

Aw shit. If Bish is playing, my chances of getting banned are exponentially higher. Maybe I should go mock wrestling in the official thread. Probably safer.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
bishoptl said:
I finally bought Reach and have been playing MP all weekend! Team Slayer skills are somewhat rusty. This cannot and will not stand.
Someone get this man the survey!

Also if the question isn't on the survey: Thoughts on bloom?

Hey You

NullPointer said:

Is it a stats problem?

Damn straight.
I want to play my own game, I don't want to play half or a two minute game. If such a system was implemented in Halo, Those people who join in would probably just quit because the game already started.

feel

Hey You said:
I want to play my own game, I don't want to play half or a two minute game. If such a system was implemented in Halo, Those people who join in would probably just quit because the game already started.
They could let players choose if they want to join a pre-game lobby or a match in progress. I wouldn't mind just jumping into random in progress games for some instant action.

Plywood said:
Someone get this man the survey!
What survey? There's no survey...

*shifts nervously in his chair*

Hey You said:
Are you thinking in such an implementation that after the match was over you would be booted back to start searching for games again? It would be more like you can start in progress, but from then on you play full games on a map rotation, lopsided teams getting balanced as the game sees fit and drop-in drop-out as you please.

Ranked would be more limiting for the purposes of it, and allows for a more traditional matchmaking approach.

Isn't that essentially what Gears 3 does, but with bots? Anyhoo I think it's a much better route personally.

Rickenslacker said:
Are you thinking in such an implementation that after the match was over you would be booted back to start searching for games again? It would be more like you can start in progress, but from then on you play full games on a map rotation, lopsided teams getting balanced as the game sees fit and drop-in drop-out as you please.

Ranked would be more limiting for the purposes of it, and allows for a more traditional matchmaking approach.

Isn't that essentially what Gears 3 does, but with bots? Anyhoo I think it's a much better route personally.

Well in Reach if you don't back out and search again you search for a new game with everyone left in the lobby. I used to stay with lobbies if it was a good group of players, but now I always back out in order to attempt to get that 0.0000001% chance of DLC maps.

stephen08

Devolution said:
Are you trolling or just acting oblivious?

No troll. It's obvious you aren't getting decent competition in Objective. Thus you should look elsewhere.

Another suggestion: go in to Objective with 8 players.That should give you decent competition right?

stephen08 said:
No troll. It's obvious you aren't getting decent competition in Objective. Thus you should look elsewhere.

Another suggestion: go in to Objective with 8 players.That should give you decent competition right?

It's not just objective. What don't you guys get about trueskill being worthless?

HiredN00bs said:
Defending the indefensible, good show. It's nice to know you have a family, the world needs more jerks.

Dude, at this stage it seems like you disagree with people simply because you dont like the people here. Take the personal shit out of the equation. You might not see eye to eye with people in terms of Halo issues but that doesnt mean you have to take a personal vendetta against them.

I will openly say that there are people on here who I totally disagree with. I will then go on to say that I love conversing/ playing with those people as we still get on and quite frankly its interesting to dissect and acknowledge other peoples points of view.

Well I'm no objective holder or anything.

Whats worse, holding the objective in a video game or trashing someones family? Put things in perspective man.

Sorry I am pretty damn late here, but I still think its worth saying that you dont need to hate on people simply because there Halo preferences differ from yours.

Letters said:

Haha thread title is pretty funny, but I can imagine it pissing off people who actually like Elites without knowing the context of that weird story on bnet.

stephen08

Devolution said:
It's not just objective. What don't you guys get about trueskill being worthless?

Let's try a thought experiment. If Objective had 8 people total in it and you are searching as a party of 4 there is one possible match. Trueskill will not have any effect on the matches since that is the best possible match. If you start expanding this more teams it allows for more possible matches unfortunately some of these teams are already engaged in matches with one another so the pool becomes smaller. Now add on to this that you are searching as a higher level group meaning there are very few suitable matches even with a decent population.

Like I said before, it's all of the logistics of matchmaking that factor in to these matches. Saying that this is simply because Trueskill is broken is completely unfounded and borders on ignorance.

wtf my bad this post shouldnt exist.

While we are an the topic of trueskill -

I played Halo 3 yesterday at a friends house, we tried playing Snipes, it took like an age to get in a match (10 minuite + matchmaking times), and when we got in a match we ended up playing people so far across the world that no one except host could possible have had any fun.

When I got home I tried playing late when it would be a better time, and just got my ass kicked.

Frankie, save Halo 3? Hire like a small country to play the game at all times so that theres a good matchmaking pool again please. Thanks.

FyreWulff said:
New Weekly

Complete 75 Rounds in Firefight Matchmaking - 8000cR
WTF Didn't we get 1x.xxx cR for completing 150waves? Now we get 8.000cR for completing 375 waves.(1round = 5 waves, right?) WTF Bungie.

Maybe I get it wrong but isn't 5waves= 1 round, 3 rounds= 1set?

FyreWulff said:
75, not 375.

You'll be done halfway through your fifth game of FF Arcade.

Streak > cR payouts for me at this point
You're wrong. We have to complete 75rounds
These are 375waves or 75 ScoreAttack game. But still the payout compared to a weekly(finish 150waves) is bad.

wwm0nkey

See if I where to do this challenge I would need some actually good Cr, not Cr I can earn in 2 to 3 games, I want Cr that would actually take me a week of playing to get.

FyreWulff

Recalculating..

So that's 25 games even (Bonus Round does not count towards weekly), and you need to play a minimum of 4 full-set games per day to get this weekly.

FyreWulff said:
Recalculating..

So that's 25 games even (Bonus Round does not count towards weekly), and you need to play a minimum of 4 full-set games per day to get this weekly.

Well shit, guess I won't be doing this after all

Top Bottom