• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

Tecnniqe

Banned
I have contacted 3 different reps, phone and chat. No code. One of the guys from Xbox Support has been there for 4 hours, 2 hours to reply to my initial message and 2 more to ask for my gamertag. The reps have been very nice but damn...
Lol damn. I don't even know at this point >.>

Werd

Does the "high resolution" option switch between native and 720p or something? Forgot to test it myself, just left it on.

I could be way off base as I have not done any research into how W10 apps work, but I think that's more like a DPI setting?

As far as I can tell the game's actual resolution is completely dynamic based on the window size and your monitor. You can run it in windowed mode and stretch the box to whatever odd dimensions you want and it will adjust the UI/res. Well, during gameplay. The menus are black boxed.

Decided to keep my UE pre-order but I'll get the code when I get it, I have other games to play in the mean time.

Just hoping we get it a good amount of time before HW2.

mjc

Had an exchange with Xbox Support's twitter. No dice. They told me to wait 7-10 days for the code to arrive even after linking the post from Waypoint.

I'm done. What a shit roll out this has been. Totally screwed up and disrespectful to the people who support the games.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Had an exchange with Xbox Support's twitter. No dice. They told me to wait 7-10 days for the code to arrive even after linking the post from Waypoint.

I'm done. What a shit roll out this has been. Totally screwed up and disrespectful to the people who support the games.
You can say that again. And this is just us, I imagine many don't have a clue as to what is going on.

I contacted them too, linked the Waypoint post and about 5-6 hours in, tells me the same thing lol

Hawk269

You can say that again. And this is just us, I imagine many don't have a clue as to what is going on.

Imagine if this was a more higher profile title, the outrage would be through the roof. Right now, what MS and 343i are doing is pissing off the Core Halo Wars players, we are the ones that pre-ordered months ago, watched every presentation etc. We are the potential target audience for Halo Wars 2 and all this is doing is souring us. In business, one way to increase sales is NOT to piss off your consumer and that is exactly what has been happening here. In short, Halo Wars 2 is being killed off before it is even released. I know a few people that have cancelled pre-orders already and they might not be back for when HW2 comes out. It is such a cluster fuck.

I am hopeful that after the holidays that they improve the messaging and they correct the issues, but I am not holding my breath. In addition to the code issues, there is the whole ranking, leaderboards etc. issue. 343i soured a shit ton of people with MCC, the tried to redeem themselves and were fantastic with Halo 5 and the support it has, but that is now being damaged yet again by what is happening here.

mjc

Imagine if this was a more higher profile title, the outrage would be through the roof. Right now, what MS and 343i are doing is pissing off the Core Halo Wars players, we are the ones that pre-ordered months ago, watched every presentation etc. We are the potential target audience for Halo Wars 2 and all this is doing is souring us. In business, one way to increase sales is NOT to piss off your consumer and that is exactly what has been happening here. In short, Halo Wars 2 is being killed off before it is even released. I know a few people that have cancelled pre-orders already and they might not be back for when HW2 comes out. It is such a cluster fuck.

I am hopeful that after the holidays that they improve the messaging and they correct the issues, but I am not holding my breath. In addition to the code issues, there is the whole ranking, leaderboards etc. issue. 343i soured a shit ton of people with MCC, the tried to redeem themselves and were fantastic with Halo 5 and the support it has, but that is now being damaged yet again by what is happening here.

That's exactly what they're doing, turning core Halo fans away. I have two good friends who preordered after I did on the 19th, and they already got their codes. Meanwhile there's people in this same thread who preordered a long time ago who haven't gotten theirs either. We all willingly put our money in the preorder with good faith that we'd be given the things promised. And we haven't been given those things. Sucks.

Yeah, I don't get it. You think they'd have access to the codes at this point.

Well i guess they do, some people have gotten codes really fast after contacting support but some others have really bad luck. Like me!

I contacted Xbox support chat twice and called by phone. I contacted Xbox support on twitter ( 6 hour wait lol). I was sent to Ambassador chat by a Microsoft Store rep where i was told to contact Xbox support lol

Meanwhile i had created a thread on Xbox support forums, 6 hours not one post lololol

We are looking at Tuesday earliest...and i wouldn't hold my breath.

mjc

Well i guess they do, some people have gotten codes really fast after contacting support but some others have really bad luck. Like me lol.

I contacted Xbox support chat twice and called by phone. I contacted Xbox support on twitter( 6 hour wait lol). I was sent to Ambassador chat by A Microsoft Store rep where i was told to contact Xbox support lol meanwhile i created a thread on Xbox support forums, 6 hours not one post lololol

I hear ya, I did almost all the same things. Even contacted @XboxSupport and they told me after three hours that their hands are tied. It's a joke.

Tecnniqe

Banned

stopstabbingyourself-d28a3d884c5a40daadf473c969a51cfd.gif

It's a shame because the mission I managed to get in was really fun. I wish the cause of error was rectified and people got what they bought.

Don't really help they're told to contact support who then again tells them no and to wait 7-10 days.

Mrbob

I love Creative Assembly games... if it wasn't for them I'd have cancelled my preorder already. Still might if I don't get a code next week. Didn't really have a high opinion on how 343 have handled the Halo IP and this doesn't help.

Hawk269

The other thing this mess is that it effects the on-line population. Last night on the PC version I found ZERO games and that is changing everything to "ANY" so I had it searching any possible users to play with and it came up with nothing. I know it is early, but still, this is a poor showing.

Like some have said, the game in itself is pretty damn good, they did a good job improving visuals, performance etc. While the on-line modes are a mess, the game still looks good and runs well.

Got a response from @XboxSupport 8 hours later:

"Hey again - be sure to check your messages and let us know here if you're having any issues redeeming! Cheers."

Still no code.

Got a response from @XboxSupport 8 hours later:

"Hey again - be sure to check your messages and let us know here if you're having any issues redeeming! Cheers."

Still no code.
I got this an hour ago same thing. No code sent. I sent them one last message asking that it has not shown up in my Xbox messages since it has been an hour and a half since they responded back saying it should be there. This is getting frustrating cause if they do not reply back they are flat out lying to me.

I got this an hour ago same thing. No code sent. I sent them one last message asking that it has not shown up in my Xbox messages since it has been an hour and a half since they responded back saying it should be there. This is getting frustrating cause if they do not reply back they are flat out lying to me.

Yeah I followed up and they told me it "may take up to 2 hours for the code to appear".

That was two and a half hours ago...

BraXzy

If you have to jump through hoops and hound their support to get access to something you already own, there's something not right.. No message :3

mjc

If you have to jump through hoops and hound their support to get access to something you already own, there's something not right.. No message :3

Certainly says something about how they view their fanbase. (All due respect to Ske7ch though, it's great that he's checked in on us here.)

Certainly says something about how they view their fanbase. (All due respect to Ske7ch though, it's great that he's checked in on us here.)
I agree Ske7ch and even Dan Ayoub have been trying their best. I do not really blame them, Microsoft's randomized code system is at fault here.

frontieruk

The other thing this mess is that it effects the on-line population. Last night on the PC version I found ZERO games and that is changing everything to "ANY" so I had it searching any possible users to play with and it came up with nothing. I know it is early, but still, this is a poor showing.

Like some have said, the game in itself is pretty damn good, they did a good job improving visuals, performance etc. While the on-line modes are a mess, the game still looks good and runs well.

At least I have Astroneer to fall back on :(

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

If you are part of the core halo fanbase, at this point, you are sort of 343i's bitch and just expect this kind of shit.

I see 343i for what is, a team of really talented and passionate individuals, who really love the franchise, but often fail at execution. At least, they stick to their principles and do whatever it takes to amend their fuckups. They are no Blizzard, Bungie, Naughty Dog, or Rockstar, but they are what we have for all things Halo.

I fucking love Halo, and will always pre-order, but I do not expect quality right off the bat anymore. However, Halo 5 MP has turned into a magnificent game, so there is a chance that the future holds great things.

Iberian

Framerate could be better on the X1. I'd like to see an option to lock at 30 fps, because right now the game fluctuates wildly between what looks like low 40s and 60.

DocSeuss

I figured chat and call center as the same thing more or less, I will give it another try.

edit: on the phone now, looking positive!

Edit 2: lol, nope. The guy told me he got an email saying he doesn't have authorization to send them out yet, he was very nice though, had a good conversation with him.

That blows. And seems very strange he doesn't have authorization, since that's exactly what helped me out.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If you are part of the core halo fanbase, at this point, you are sort of 343i's bitch and just expect this kind of shit.

I see 343i for what is, a team of really talented and passionate individuals, who really love the franchise, but often fail at execution. At least, they stick to their principles and do whatever it takes to amend their fuckups. They are no Blizzard, Bungie, Naughty Dog, or Rockstar, but they are what we have for all things Halo.

I fucking love Halo, and will always pre-order, but I do not expect quality right off the bat anymore. However, Halo 5 MP has turned into a magnificent game, so there is a chance that the future holds great things.
Happy and disappointing at the same time :S

Darth Chief 117

Neo Member
My code turned up yesterday after bothering twitter and official forums. Great game that does look nicer, but isn't smooth at all, very choppy, on an Xbox One S. Still completely playable but obvious. Hope everyone else's codes begin to appear.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Framerate could be better on the X1. I'd like to see an option to lock at 30 fps, because right now the game fluctuates wildly between what looks like low 40s and 60.
Fuck....

Well, the game is in preview. I might as well just wait for the formal release. I was hoping for a locked 30fps considering the screen tearing and fluctuating frame rate of the original version was what turned me away.

Tecnniqe

Banned
My code turned up yesterday after bothering twitter and official forums. Great game that does look nicer, but isn't smooth at all, very choppy, on an Xbox One S. Still completely playable but obvious. Hope everyone else's codes begin to appear.
Choppy as in FPS drop during big fights?

So I wake up this morning and what do you know I finally got a code. I am installing right now. This was quite the work around to get. Hope to hop in soon.

Edit: Is there supposed to be the Halo App installed alongside Definitive Edition (this is on Xbox One mind you)? Definitive Edition is installing fine but every time I try to install this other app it stops installing. Do I need this other app to run definitive edition or can I just ignore it.

👍 Glad to hear they got you your key :)

Do you know anything about this other Halo app along with Definitive Edition?

Edit: Never mind I looked at the app details it can only install on Windows 10 devices but it was trying to install on my Xbox One thus the error installing occurred. I will just cancel my installation of it on my Xbox then.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Do you know anything about this other Halo app along with Definitive Edition?

Edit: Never mind I looked at the app details it can only install on Windows 10 devices but it was trying to install on my Xbox One thus the error installing occurred. I will just cancel my installation of it on my Xbox then.
When I press play it opens the Halo app on Win10 which shows a bunch of halo games including DE so I have to press Play there to launch it.

Hawk269

I guess that is why it makes it even more frustrating is the fact that I am a big Halo fan and in particular Halo Wars. The code thing, while crazy really sucks and I feel for those people that still don't have a code. But what is more concerning to me is the decision they took on removing the most important part of the on-line function of the game. That is just plain idiotic and a bad decision. I can only think the reason they did this is they did not want the Definitive Edition gain an on-line presence because it could potentially take away from Halo Wars 2. It sounds bizarre to say that, but I don't see another valid reason for them to rip out the existing system and take the time to replace it with what we have now.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I guess that is why it makes it even more frustrating is the fact that I am a big Halo fan and in particular Halo Wars. The code thing, while crazy really sucks and I feel for those people that still don't have a code. But what is more concerning to me is the decision they took on removing the most important part of the on-line function of the game. That is just plain idiotic and a bad decision. I can only think the reason they did this is they did not want the Definitive Edition gain an on-line presence because it could potentially take away from Halo Wars 2. It sounds bizarre to say that, but I don't see another valid reason for them to rip out the existing system and take the time to replace it with what we have now.
You think they intentially gimped the online to avoid self competition?

Top Bottom