• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

Ade

I don't understand. Why would there be a 10g update for the beta then? It isn't going on still is it?

They said there would be a second beta, this might be prep for it.

HW1 DE is a totally separate game, with a separate achievement list, its own game hub and everything. It is NOT the HW2 Beta.

Although considering how fecked this has all been so far, it wouldn't surprise me if the HW2 Beta turned out to be Jazz Jackrabbit Xmas '95

Zyae

Got my code, installing on X1. How do I install it on PC as well? Dont see an option in the windows store

Da Fro

They said there would be a second beta, this might be prep for it.

HW1 DE is a totally separate game, with a separate achievement list, its own game hub and everything. It is NOT the HW2 Beta.

Although considering how fecked this has all been so far, it wouldn't surprise me if the HW2 Beta turned out to be Jazz Jackrabbit Xmas '95

haha I sure hope not.
But yeah, you're right. I found HW:DE in the ready to install list. Installing now.
I wonder what that 10g update for the Halo Wars beta is all about though???

m23

haha I sure hope not.
But yeah, you're right. I found HW:DE in the ready to install list. Installing now.
I wonder what that 10g update for the Halo Wars beta is all about though???

There is another beta soon, so it probably is in preparation for that.

I feel so stupid right now. I just hadn't correctly redeemed my code!

I used the "redeem code" button in the xbox message-centre, and it told me it was already redeemed. Now I checked what code had been automatically entered, and it didn't correspond with the code in the message...

Entered the code manually, and voila. Works.

So, not really my fault, but I should have checked earlier.

NavNucST3

God damn it. The Xbox version didn't actually install the game, just a messagw telling me it's not unlocked yet.

So, it's not working on either platform for me then. Great!

I think my code was faulty, gonna complain to Microsoft and see if I can get sent a new one.

On the Xbox it's a separate game title so you'll find it in your ready to install after the code is redeemed not from trying to start Halo Wars 2.

StUnNeR H2K

Lets add something special to this already messed up situation...

Six hours ago I received a code for the Halo Wars: DE. That is 24 hrs after I cancelled my pre-order yesterday. So were these codes generated prior to the day they were sent out?Because it sounds like MS needs to clean up its system. I'm guessing codes were generated when orders were made, then sit on to release through this wave based system without re-checking the actual pre-order.

I have not redeemed the code yet, as I assume it won't work without me owning Halo War 2: Ulitmate Edition or having it pre-ordered anymore, but I guess when I'm ready to pre-order it again I have my code already.

Just to note I pre-ordered Dec. 19... How many others are still waiting?

ManCannon

hey everyone, I've been going back and forth with folks across Microsoft to try and get some resolution as many players have reported not receiving a code who should've by now. I know this has been frustrating, we want everyone to play who should be playing!

First off, this is a helpful page if you're having problems or questions: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-titles/halo-wars-2-preorder

Secondly, if you pre-ordered the digital version of Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition _before_ Dec. 20 and haven't received a code for HW:DE then there is likely a problem. In this case, you're being asked to try one of two avenues for the quickest resolution:

- You can engage with the Xbox community team via http://forums.xbox.com or @XboxSupport on Twitter. They have the ability to verify your purchase status and issue a code if applicable.

- Or you can contact the Xbox call center via http://support.xbox.com and the agents should be able to verify and issue a code if applicable. If necessary, tell them you've specifically been directed to contact support and have been told that customers who pre-ordered prior to 12/20 and haven't received a code yet should be helped. Just guessing here but it's possible that not all call center agents immediately have the same level of information so it may take some polite escalation. I know some folks have attempted this already but it also sounds like things have changed as of late this afternoon.

Barring that you can simply wait it out and hopefully be caught up in the next wave but I honestly don't know how quickly that will happen with the holiday upon us.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, please let me know what the outcome is for you. Again please note that this is only for people who pre-ordered prior to 12/20. If you pre-ordered more recently than that then they will not be able to help you and you'll get a code in an upcoming distribution (sorry).

Hawk269

ManCannon-

Do you work within 343i or within another division at MS?

Reason I ask is in this thread and in the official forums on Halo Waypoint, there is a big issue with the team taking out Matchmaking, Ranking & Leaderboards. This is a RTS and those are basic things that were in the original game. The current one is great and we are happy that was given for people that don't want to play a ranked match, but most people play an RTS on-line to be matched with people of their own skill level and that was Trueskill and the Matchmaking provided. It also made it more competitive with rankings.

I guess the question to also ask is if COD, Halo or any other on-line shooter did not have Rankings, would they still be as popular? Most likely not, most games that have on-line components it is about ranking and leveling up the ranks and finding games with people that the system matches you with for better matches.

Hopefully, since this is now a "beta/early access" game that these real on-line functions will return to the game.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's a Christmas miracle!

I woke up to a couple messages from Man, one of which included one of the very few keys he could get his hands on, that worked and redeemed the DE Bundle on the Windows 10 store for me.

While saying that it's also been incredibly frustrating and disappointing for me with everything that's happened and while I got a helping hand, it sadly does not help those who still have nothing to show and are still waiting.

This thing have been a disaster, I guess you can call it, in multiple ways, ways that should not happen and should be completely unnecessary for everyone involved as it caused anger and frustration here and if what I gather 343 being in the same shoe with hands tied on their back for the most part, a rather unpleasant experience for them too.

I hope over the holiday and the coming first week days this OT can get back on track as people get their keys for what it was meant to be, a community gathering and to enjoy the game while playing with each other and discuss things about it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I feel so stupid right now. I just hadn't correctly redeemed my code!

I used the "redeem code" button in the xbox message-centre, and it told me it was already redeemed. Now I checked what code had been automatically entered, and it didn't correspond with the code in the message...

Entered the code manually, and voila. Works.

So, not really my fault, but I should have checked earlier.
Haha well I'm glad it worked for you 👍
I guess it was the covenant messing with you blast shields.
ManCannon-

Reason I ask is in this thread and in the official forums on Halo Waypoint, there is a big issue with the team taking out Matchmaking, Ranking & Leaderboards. This is a RTS and those are basic things that were in the original game. The current one is great and we are happy that was given for people that don't want to play a ranked match, but most people play an RTS on-line to be matched with people of their own skill level and that was Trueskill and the Matchmaking provided. It also made it more competitive with rankings.

I guess the question to also ask is if COD, Halo or any other on-line shooter did not have Rankings, would they still be as popular? Most likely not, most games that have on-line components it is about ranking and leveling up the ranks and finding games with people that the system matches you with for better matches.

Hopefully, since this is now a "beta/early access" game that these real on-line functions will return to the game.
Mmm yes, a return of the old matchmaking system would be nice and you are right, RTS is for the most part a competitive thing and good matchmaking and ranking is crucial in this case.

Gotta get that Top 500 Grand Master >.>

Hawk269

It's a Christmas miracle!

I woke up to a couple messages from Man, one of which included one of the very few keys he could get his hands on, that worked and redeemed the DE Bundle on the Windows 10 store for me.

While saying that it's also been incredibly frustrating and disappointing for me with everything that's happened and while I got a helping hand, it sadly does not help those who still have nothing to show and are still waiting.

This thing have been a disaster, I guess you can call it, in multiple ways, ways that should not happen and should be completely unnecessary for everyone involved as it caused anger and frustration here and if what I gather 343 being in the same shoe with hands tied on their back for the most part, a rather unpleasant experience for them too.

I hope over the holiday and the coming first week days this OT can get back on track as people get their keys for what it was meant to be, a community gathering and to enjoy the game while playing with each other and discuss things about it.

Glad you got a code and good job on Man coming through for your. If you still get a code sent to you that the system may still generate at some point in time, perhaps pay it forward and give it to a forum member. The more the merrier!!! Looking forward to your impressions. I have been playing the BC original and the new one to see the difference and in many cases it is striking how much better the D.E. is. The ONLY negative is the Matchmaking/Rankings so far. Everything else has been really good.

ManCannon-

ManCannon is Ske7ch, current community manager of 343i.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Glad you got a code and good job on Man coming through for your. If you still get a code sent to you that the system may still generate at some point in time, perhaps pay it forward and give it to a forum member. The more the merrier!!! Looking forward to your impressions. I have been playing the BC original and the new one to see the difference and in many cases it is striking how much better the D.E. is. The ONLY negative is the Matchmaking/Rankings so far. Everything else has been really good.
Yeah I can't wait to share my impressions and in a few days.

I defiantly will share my generated code if/when I get it.

Hope I can get some great screens taken and post those as well and get back on somewhat a track :)

I'll start out with campaign for sure and head into MP once that is over.

Hawk269

ManCannon is Ske7ch, current community manager of 343i.

Thanks, I did not know that. Did he not go by that name here before?

Well, glad that he is with 343i....

What the heck with the online ManCannon? Why strip out the most important aspect of a RTS game? It makes no sense at all. Rankings, Matchmaking, Leaderboards are a cornerstone of online RTS's and basically almost any on-line MP type of game. If you don't believe me...

Rip out Matchmaking, Rankings, Leaderboards from Halo 5 online component and tell me how that turns out? Crash and burn is what would happen and with this move on Halo Wars D.E. you are sending the game to die. The issue also is that there are people cancelling pre-orders due to this issue and you are killing the HW2 population before it even comes out.

Please communicate to the powers that be that the games original on-line component be put back. Your the same company that figured out how to make 360 games work on the Xbox One, surely there is talented enough people to bring back the most basic function of a RTS game.

Thanks, I did not know that. Did he not go by that name here before?

Well, glad that he is with 343i....

What the heck with the online ManCannon? Why strip out the most important aspect of a RTS game? It makes no sense at all. Rankings, Matchmaking, Leaderboards are a cornerstone of online RTS's and basically almost any on-line MP type of game. If you don't believe me...

Rip out Matchmaking, Rankings, Leaderboards from Halo 5 online component and tell me how that turns out? Crash and burn is what would happen and with this move on Halo Wars D.E. you are sending the game to die. The issue also is that there are people cancelling pre-orders due to this issue and you are killing the HW2 population before it even comes out.

Please communicate to the powers that be that the games original on-line component be put back. Your the same company that figured out how to make 360 games work on the Xbox One, surely there is talented enough people to bring back the most basic function of a RTS game.

Um the game is still about 3 months till launch?

Hawk269

Um the game is still about 3 months till launch?

True, but the issue I have with that is why not have something that the original had? Why go through the trouble to rip it out and create a whole new mode for on-line play? It does not make sense to me. They clearly have a working system, heck even is playable through backwards compatibility. It just seems odd that other than improving visuals/performance, the one major thing they did do is take out one of the games most important aspect of a RTS.

I am hopeful that they do add that function, but my faith in them doing that is not very high. The whole last minute announcement that it is an Early Access game is alarming as it is, so you can imagine the concerns amongst many.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So what benefit is there for them in limiting the keys? I'm really perplexed as to *why* they are handling it this way outside of "they're Microsoft and they do everything wrong".

Tecnniqe

Banned
So what benefit is there for them in limiting the keys? I'm really perplexed as to *why* they are handling it this way outside of "they're Microsoft and they do everything wrong".
Seems to be no explanation outside "it's just the way it had to be this time".

Is it OK to ask for a code of this game? I want Halo Wars 2 but don't care about DLC, but I do care about Halo Wars 1 remaster. So I don't really wanna buy the ultimate edition. If someone has it, I'm willing to trade a code of STARDEW VALLEY on steam that I have no intention to use. Specifically looking for the XBOX ONE version.

Cheers

Darth Chief 117

Neo Member
Still no code, ordered on the 15th. Disappointed. And on twitter they silly tell you a code will be issued 7-10 days after pre-order, so no, they're not helping issuing keys.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Is it OK to ask for a code of this game? I want Halo Wars 2 but don't care about DLC, but I do care about Halo Wars 1 remaster. So I don't really wanna buy the ultimate edition. If someone has it, I'm willing to trade a code of STARDEW VALLEY on steam that I have no intention to use. Specifically looking for the XBOX ONE version.

Cheers
All the codes redeems on both W10 and XO and can be played on both.
Still no code, ordered on the 15th. Disappointed. And on twitter they silly tell you a code will be issued 7-10 days after pre-order, so no, they're not helping issuing keys.
I hope they send a wave today at the very least for those who did not get one but with the holidays...

Darth Chief 117

Neo Member
All the codes redeems on both W10 and XO and can be played on both.

I hope they send a wave today at the very least for those who did not get one but with the holidays...

Yeah I imagine if they don't get their act together and work on another wave today they won't for some time. It's a shame as this is all trouble they really don't need emenating from such a simple process.

Cheers

Check the B/S/T thread?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yeah I imagine if they don't get their act together and work on another wave today they won't for some time. It's a shame as this is all trouble they really don't need emenating from such a simple process.
Yep, just gonna suggest doing this regardless and repost as the best solution before the holidays.
hey everyone, I've been going back and forth with folks across Microsoft to try and get some resolution as many players have reported not receiving a code who should've by now. I know this has been frustrating, we want everyone to play who should be playing!

First off, this is a helpful page if you're having problems or questions: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-titles/halo-wars-2-preorder

Secondly, if you pre-ordered the digital version of Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition _before_ Dec. 20 and haven't received a code for HW:DE then there is likely a problem. In this case, you're being asked to try one of two avenues for the quickest resolution:

- You can engage with the Xbox community team via http://forums.xbox.com or @XboxSupport on Twitter. They have the ability to verify your purchase status and issue a code if applicable.

- Or you can contact the Xbox call center via http://support.xbox.com and the agents should be able to verify and issue a code if applicable. If necessary, tell them you've specifically been directed to contact support and have been told that customers who pre-ordered prior to 12/20 and haven't received a code yet should be helped. Just guessing here but it's possible that not all call center agents immediately have the same level of information so it may take some polite escalation. I know some folks have attempted this already but it also sounds like things have changed as of late this afternoon.

Barring that you can simply wait it out and hopefully be caught up in the next wave but I honestly don't know how quickly that will happen with the holiday upon us.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, please let me know what the outcome is for you. Again please note that this is only for people who pre-ordered prior to 12/20. If you pre-ordered more recently than that then they will not be able to help you and you'll get a code in an upcoming distribution (sorry).

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Cheers

You bring up a very good point, here. People are deriding the "archaic" use of sending out codes, rather than simply unlocking the game, but the latter doesn't afford the opportunity to trade the code if you weren't interested I that particular bonus.

Timeless

You bring up a very good point, here. People are deriding the "archaic" use of sending out codes, rather than simply unlocking the game, but the latter doesn't afford the opportunity to trade the code if you weren't interested I that particular bonus.
MS probably doesn't want people trading codes.

Spasm

What's with the cut-off dates? The 14th, the 20th? What if I preordered on Dec. 20th? Still technically before release. Am I screwed for Xmas, or all the way to February?

Tecnniqe

Banned
What's with the cut-off dates? The 14th, the 20th? What if I preordered on Dec. 20th? Still technically before release. Am I screwed for Xmas, or all the way to February?
Afaik if you ordered it on or before the 19th and have yet to get your key after the 2 waves there's most likely a issue and contacting support should be able to grant you a key.

That's my understanding, how it actually works ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Outside that the next wave is probably Tuesday next week.

iFirez

I know everyone is still discussing codes and such BUT...

Those who have been playing, how much better (on Xbox One) does it run/look than the BC version we already have? Mine downloaded last night but I'm still deep in FFXV so haven't had a chance to load it up yet.

Top Bottom