• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

m23

I know everyone is still discussing codes and such BUT...

Those who have been playing, how much better (on Xbox One) does it run/look than the BC version we already have? Mine downloaded last night but I'm still deep in FFXV so haven't had a chance to load it up yet.

It definitely feels smooth and looks cleaner. I wouldn't say it's a massive difference.

Theorry

They said there would be a second beta, this might be prep for it.

HW1 DE is a totally separate game, with a separate achievement list, its own game hub and everything. It is NOT the HW2 Beta.

Although considering how fecked this has all been so far, it wouldn't surprise me if the HW2 Beta turned out to be Jazz Jackrabbit Xmas '95

haha I sure hope not.
But yeah, you're right. I found HW:DE in the ready to install list. Installing now.
I wonder what that 10g update for the Halo Wars beta is all about though???

People opened it already and its called Blitz Beta i believe. So its probably happening soon.

https://twitter.com/Reiku78/status/812102621137879040

Tecnniqe

Banned
Managed to jump in quickly and do first mission on Legendary, Heyo
QM7oRcy.jpg

Will write some first impressions when I get time :S

MAX PAYMENT

I know everyone is still discussing codes and such BUT...

Those who have been playing, how much better (on Xbox One) does it run/look than the BC version we already have? Mine downloaded last night but I'm still deep in FFXV so haven't had a chance to load it up yet.

I haven't compared it to BC, however the game still feels like it's baking.

I've only played about 4 hours of multiplayer only. When things get hectic, the unit framerate can get really low.

I've had a few issues with lag. The game and timer would freeze, but I could still look around and queue tasks.

I did, at one point, experience all of my units freeze in 1 frame animation and all akwardly slide around like little plastic figurines.

All in all, it's still halo wars. Still a very fun game.

Can you not take Screenshots or anything from the game? Even the xbox or Shadowplay (in desktop mode) don't work :3

Shes wrong tho
She is both wrong and right. There is I believe a complete communication breakdown between those who say that you should be able to get the codes and those in the front support who only know the generic wait 7 to 10 days thing.

hwalker84

Cracked out and beat it on my PC yesterday. Loved it again from start to finish. Had a few crashes with an error message something along the lines of "Application cannot talk to graphics driver" I've had similar crashes with my OC on UAP games.

Game is perfectly playable on my Surface Pro 4 i7. All I did was leave it at the defaults and turn off high resolution. Though my Surface could cook an egg after the mission was over.

Unless a miracle happens today I guess I will have to wait till next week. Oh well I have other games to spend my time on. I hope Microsoft learns that using this antiquated code system is complete bullocks. They should just set the store to recognize those that have preordered the Ultimate Edition and allow them to download the bonus games. Other games have done this so why can't Microsoft 1st party games do the same?

mjc

Talked to Xbox Support and they said I have to wait 7-10 days from when I preordered to get my code. (I preordered on the 19th)

Neat.

I haven't compared it to BC, however the game still feels like it's baking.

I've only played about 4 hours of multiplayer only. When things get hectic, the unit framerate can get really low.

I've had a few issues with lag. The game and timer would freeze, but I could still look around and queue tasks.

I did, at one point, experience all of my units freeze in 1 frame animation and all akwardly slide around like little plastic figurines.

All in all, it's still halo wars. Still a very fun game.

Thanks. This was the info I was looking for. I don't really care too much about the improvements on campaign. I'll likely play it twice more but I plan to sink a lot of hours into MP again for sure. Wanted to see if this would replace the old one completely.

Can anyone check if DE has system link options still?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Impressions from Mission 1 Legendary:
It's as tough as I remember, I got my ass handed to me.
The game still feels great and it ran super smooth without any issues.

Keybinding wise local and all units placement makes sense as it's right next to WASD (Q/E) which makes for very smooth unit and camera control on PC.

I didn't fiddle around with the options menu but I just had a look and it's bad, no resolution selection etc..

There also seems to be no way to capture images outside using print screen and paint as neither Xbox DVR and Shadowplay (desktop mode or not) refuse to capture anything, would be nice of this was enabled or fixed.

Overall - I spammed all units and kicked some Covie butt in better graphical and IQ (frame AA etc) with a M/KB :)

Beat par time too! Chivos ahoy! Can't wait to get back home and play some more after Christmas :))
She is both wrong and right. There is I believe a complete communication breakdown between those who say that you should be able to get the codes and those in the front support who only know the generic wait 7 to 10 days thing.
She's right or wrong depending on when you bought it but communication have been bad from day 0...

Looks great.

I still haven't gotten my code...following ManCannon's advice and contacting @XboxSupport.
I hope they pull through today for everyone who is missing it and ordered early at the very least.

The Legendary AI in Skirmish cheats so much
AI in general for RTS's always cheat to some degree because they can build and train units without having to click with a mouse or use a controller. It has been always like that since the early days of the RTS genre.

The Legendary AI in Skirmish cheats so much

They are so easy to predict and counter after enough practice. There's also flaws in there logic mainly around control of zones and energy gates. I remember when me and my buddy used to be scared of playing against Legendary A.I. when I first starting playing wars lol

Tecnniqe

Banned
I basically did what ske7ch recommended, and the agent confirmed I preordered but stuck to saying I should wait 7-10 days.

Also tweeted @XboxSupport but I have a feeling they'll say the same thing.
Yeah but did you link them the post as a reason as to why they should issue you a code?

"I've been told by the 343 community manager to contact you per *link* for my key as I ordered before the 20th blablah "

Hawk269

Thanks. This was the info I was looking for. I don't really care too much about the improvements on campaign. I'll likely play it twice more but I plan to sink a lot of hours into MP again for sure. Wanted to see if this would replace the old one completely.

Can anyone check if DE has system link options still?

No System Link, it has been ripped out of the game.

As for MP, please note that the MP mode in the D.E. no longer has Matchmaking, Ranking, Leaderboards or Trueskill. So, MP is with randoms of any skill type, so you may be matched against Pro's or noobs, you no longer have Matchmaking based on Trueskill/Ranking to have truly competitive games unless you randomly get into a game with someone of equal skill.

In addition, I just discovered, they also removed Leaderboards for the Single Player rankings etc. So you no longer can see the score of any of your friends and try to beat your friends score etc. In your "Service Record" it still shows your scores, your lifetime scores for the SP, but there is no longer a way to see those of others and where you rank for SP and obviously MP.

Game runs really well on PC! Does the "high resolution" option switch between native and 720p or something? Forgot to test it myself, just left it on.

The heavily compressed cutscenes with worse framerate than the game are a bit disappointing, but it's to be expected I suppose. At least Halo Wars 2 will be awesome with Blur cinematics.

Game runs really well on PC! Does the "high resolution" option switch between native and 720p or something? Forgot to test it myself, just left it on.

The heavily compressed cutscenes with worse framerate than the game are a bit disappointing, but it's to be expected I suppose. At least Halo Wars 2 will be awesome with Blur cinematics.

Blur Studios also made the Halo Wars cinematics

Push back a little; you're supposed to have your code by now, you got directed to go there for your code.

I tried she said she contacted a rep from Microsoft Studios who told her the same thing. Going to try again with another person, I will also link the Waypoint post, hopefully it works.

Tried pushing with support, they wouldn't budge. Got as far as saying they will escalate to management (if that means anything...)

Edit: This was with providing the Halo waypoint link.

DocSeuss

Tried pushing with support, they wouldn't budge. Got as far as saying they will escalate to management (if that means anything...)

Edit: This was with providing the Halo waypoint link.

Your problem is that you are using chat support. Follow the directions, which says to call.

The guy on call knew exactly what I was talking about and took about five minutes to fix everything. Gave me a code right then and there.

Chat isn't going to help you.

I figured chat and call center as the same thing more or less, I will give it another try.

edit: on the phone now, looking positive!

Edit 2: lol, nope. The guy told me he got an email saying he doesn't have authorization to send them out yet, he was very nice though, had a good conversation with him.

Nesses

I'm going to have to reach out to support...except I can wait abit longer seeing how my video card had to get RMA'ed. Crap.

I have contacted 3 different reps, phone and chat. No code. One of the guys from Xbox Support has been there for 4 hours, 2 hours to reply to my initial message and 2 more to ask for my gamertag. The reps have been very nice but damn...

Top Bottom