• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

HTupolev

It's too bad they didn't go with SMAA. Infamous, for example, shows just how incredible a proper SMAA T2x implementation can look - game looks damn near supersampled.
That's because when the game isn't undergoing fast/complex motion, it is supersampled. What do you think the "T2x" stands for? ISS's antialiasing involves more than just a spatial post-process pass. In addition to the SMAA 1x post-process, it's doing a more sophisticated version of what Reach does. If you rotate the camera at medium speed in ISS, you can watch the supersampling turn off.

Eh I prefer the rugged stone/concrete look, personally, but it's not the end of the world. Will get my old halo 2 feels on the original.
But what super advanced alien species would be living in concrete and stone that ages ungracefully with time? Technical limitations had to do with some of those designs, sure, but to continue to make Forerunner architecture so grounded in our reality is less exciting than what we've seen from Halo Wars and 343.

And Halo 2 Forerunner architectures were by far he worst IMO.

Ruins1600.jpg

too much brown and muted colors in H2

But what super advanced alien species would be living in concrete and stone that ages ungracefully with time? Technical limitations had to do with some of those designs, sure, but to continue to make Forerunner architecture so grounded in our reality is less exciting than what we've seen from Halo Wars and 343.

Nah. I have always viewed the covenant as coming in and occupying the pre-existing areas. I find ancient civilizations equally as interesting as the futuristic, shiny metal look.

EDIT:
What's kind of funny is that the image you posted happens to be my favorite level in halo 2 =)

EDIT:
Best song in Halo 2 and also happens to be in that level

Kibbles

YASS LOCKOUT. Kinda wish it had that darker blue hue to the atmosphere but oh well, it's lockout. Will it be on the show floor tomorrow for some cam gameplay?

HTupolev

What?

Halo 2 even blatantly points out that those ruins AREN'T what the Forerunner generally use, and Cortana speculates that Delta Halo is preserving them like a museum.

I have my complaints about Halo 2's Forerunner architecture, but what you're saying here doesn't seem to make any sense.

Booties

Banned
What?

Halo 2 even blatantly points out that those ruins AREN'T what the Forerunner generally use, and Cortana speculates that Delta Halo is preserving them like a museum.

I have my complaints about Halo 2's Forerunner architecture, but what you're saying here doesn't seem to make any sense.

Daaaaamn.

But weren't the halos made towards the end of the Forerunner's era?

Make you think don't it?

Computer

Have a feeling the dynamic set piece in Lockout will be making the hard light glass at top mid disappear. Would be a good for players that sword/shotgun camp there.

What?

Cortana "speculates" there, and to what extent do they mean when saying these ruins aren't what they "generally" use? We talking 49%? Either way, it's not aesthetically appealing IMO and it feels like just a clever way to explain technical limitations.
Daaaaamn.

But weren't the halos made towards the end of the Forerunner's era?

Make you think don't it?
Yes it does lol, and why they would want to preserve that aspect of their culture, especially if they don't "generally" use it? Hmmm..

dwells

That's because when the game isn't undergoing fast/complex motion, it is supersampled. What do you think the "T2x" stands for? ISS's antialiasing involves more than just a spatial post-process pass. In addition to the SMAA 1x post-process, it's doing a more sophisticated version of what Reach does. If you rotate the camera at medium speed in ISS, you can watch the supersampling turn off.

Yeah, I get that and understand that T2x is temporal and doing sampling - just a phrasing thing. I was saying that as a whole, the image quality is almost comparable to if the game were constantly being run at 3840x2160 and downscaled.

defghik

Next remade map for Halo 2 Anniversary is Lockout:

Elbow is totally different, looks like there's much less distance to cover from blue room to snipe tower. Not sure how that will play out.

Looks like Lockout has an interactive element to help face off against entrenched enemies.

I'm actually very curious how this will affect lockouts dynamic of Sniper Tower vs BR tower.

Yeah, something to make it a little easier to attack BR tower would be interesting. I've been playing a lot of H2 XBC the last week or so, and MLG TS on Lockout ALWAYS turns into a standoff with one team set up at snipe tower and one at BR tower, with neither team really willing to move because there's a fairly low percentage chance of any push actually being successful. It's just too easy to cover all angles from BR tower.

Being able to close the library window for 5 seconds would make it so much easier to make a push into BR tower, and would improve map flow IMO.

Computer

Elbow is totally different, looks like there's much less distance to cover from blue room to snipe tower. Not sure how that will play out.

Yeah, something to make it a little easier to attack BR tower would be interesting. I've been playing a lot of H2 XBC the last week or so, and MLG TS on Lockout ALWAYS turns into a standoff with one team set up at snipe tower and one at BR tower, with neither team really willing to move because there's a fairly low percentage chance of any push actually being successful. It's just too easy to cover all angles from BR tower.

Being able to close the library window for 5 seconds would make it so much easier to make a push into BR tower, and would improve map flow IMO.

What if you can trigger a almost blinding snow storm eh eh.

HTupolev

Cortana "speculates" there, and to what extent do they mean when saying these ruins aren't what they "generally" use? We talking 49%?
49%? What? No, more like 0%. Not only are those ruins unique to Halo 2, they're also unique to Delta Halo and Regret; even Halo 2 otherwise (read: a large majority of the time) shows Forerunner buildings in a style more in line with Halo's 1 and 3.

I agree that they don't look all that great; they simply aren't realized well within Halo 2's image quality and asset detail. But that's part of why I'm baffled by your claim that they were designed like that due to technical restrictions; Halo 2's (and Halo 1's) "advanced" Forerunner buildings are realized much better on oXbox thanks to how visually clean and simple they are. If Bungie was compromising designs for technical reasons, those Stonerunner structures should have been the first thing to get cut!

49%? What? No, more like 0%. Not only are those ruins unique to Halo 2, they're also unique to Delta Halo and Regret; even Halo 2 otherwise (read: a large majority of the time) shows Forerunner buildings in a style more in line with Halo's 1 and 3.

I agree that they don't look all that great; they simply aren't realized well within Halo 2's image quality and asset detail. But that's part of why I'm baffled by your claim that they were designed like that due to technical restrictions; Halo 2's (and Halo 1's) "advanced" Forerunner buildings are realized much better on oXbox thanks to how visually clean and simple they are. If Bungie was compromising designs for technical reasons, those Stonerunner structures should have been the first thing to get cut!
So it had nothing to do with technical limitations, but just Bungie's poor design decisions? I thought it was just a combination of the two, but you're probably right then lol. Maybe that was just the love I had for Bungie that I subconsciously made excuses for them..

Weren't those stone ruins supposed to be the remains of one of the species preserved on the rings? Maybe even ancient humans.

And I'd like to chime in with a defense of Halo 4's Forerunner look. I think it does a better job of representing how stupidly, ridiculously advanced they were. Granted, maybe they were a bit too shiny from an aesthetic standpoint, but otherwise I'm quite fond of them.

HTupolev

So it had nothing to do with technical limitations, but just Bungie's poor design decisions?
Depends on how you look at it. A lot of people think they look phenomenal, and although I think they suffer graphically in some ways, I sort of like them,

And I'd like to chime in with a defense of Halo 4's Forerunner look. I think it does a better job of representing how stupidly, ridiculously advanced they were.
It sort of does the opposite for me; compared with previous efforts Halo 4's style has a "trying to look advanced" feel to it. It's flashy and busy*, not mysterious.

*And very annoyingly so. I dislike a lot of things about Shutdown, but the icing on the cake is that I've gotten literal eye pain from its interiors before.

Depends on how you look at it. A lot of people think they look phenomenal, and although I think they suffer graphically in some ways, I sort of like them,

It sort of does the opposite for me; compared with previous efforts Halo 4's style has a "trying to look advanced" feel to it. It's flashy and busy*, not mysterious.

*And very annoyingly so. I dislike a lot of things about Shutdown, but the icing on the cake is that I've gotten literal eye pain from its interiors before.

I dunno. I still think it looks somewhat mysterious, though, admittedly, that was never a main selling point to me. As for being a bit too busy, I can agree with that. Toning down the shininess a tad (though not to the point of it looking worn down like the old stuff) wouldn't be such a bad thing. Bungie's Forerunner architecture was a little... I dunno, there was this cognitive dissonance at play for me, where you've got these incredibly advanced beings building stuff out of what looks like low-grade steel.

And I dunno how you can dislike Shutdown. We finally got to fly a damn Pelican!

HTupolev

And I dunno how you can dislike Shutdown. We finally got to fly a damn Pelican!
We got to fly a weird Halo 4 "pelican" in a poor man's New Alexandria with nothing to do outside. I've never felt that a pelican is all that great of a machine to design actual Halo air missions around, and Shutdown did nothing to sway me.

I was complaining in particular about the interiors, though.

Top Bottom