• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

the anime is not that good =P

"gasp* Blasphemy

spock_slap.gif

IHaveIce

Banned
the anime is not that good =P
The manga is neither, weird art(sometimes even bad) and out of nowhere writing, with some dose of over the top violence and being edgy.

It was a surprise success for the Mangaka I bet, I bet not even he himself has late game plotpoints figured out yet, even with all those obvious hints about Eren's dad

-Ryn

Banned
:) thanks man.
Also, I was going to wait for MCC, but honestly, I might have to hook up the 360 & play some Reach or 3 with you guys soon. I've been getting the itch lately.
Yeah man Halo is always better with some cool bros
Kinect

I know but seriously giving every one in that dawson's creek group a power of some sort to compensate the titans dominace is lulz for me,
...wut?

SOLIDDDD

Banned
Nice. Any plans post Uni for football or no? I actually had a few friends who played for the Golden Bears in Alberta and few for the Thunderbirds in UBC. Not to mention the guys I knew in SFU, but they're now NCAA Div.II and not CIS. Anyways good to have you here.

Glad to be here. I might try for the CFL but it's a longshot, I might get a try out but doubt it goes further than that. I have a couple former teammates and friends in the CFL and one in the NFL.

On the subject of Halo 4 am I crazy or is the game just too easy? I find 3/4 games my team doubles the score of the other and myself and anyone else half decent goes crazy positive. Really want to feel that H2/H3 competitive aspect again.

-Ryn

Banned
Well that was fun
THE LAG
Good game Gaf.

Gun game in Halo is crazy though. Really hope that 343. Gives the community more access to tools so they can make this stuff without having to mod. Hopefully we'll be able to see some in the beta.

Nirvana

Default thruster is a nonstarter unless you stay in first person. Third person kind of works with vehicles. Don't force it for an animation during thrusters.

---

EDIT : Is it just me or are Pitfall and Vertigo STILL impossible to get a match on even in Team DLC? I've backed out of 20+ lobbies in a row and haven't seen either of them a single time for any vote.

Yeah I agree with this, it's really disorientating being shifted into third person all the time, especially with thrusters.

I feel like having two thruster charges would be a bad idea, if they do implement it. I really don't want every game to be a bunch of idiots zooming around on rollerskates while I fruitlessly try to actually use my gun. Not to mention that if sprint is default, you can cover a huge amount of ground with just those two abilities, meaning that once again, we aren't going to get any decent small maps.

Imagine Guardian with sprint and thruster, it just wouldn't work. It's one of my favourite maps, and it's because it is tight and interesting to navigate. With sprint and thruster, areas that were dangerous before - like top mid, bottom mid - would no longer be, because of how quickly you can move out of them. This is why the 'small arena' maps in Halo 4 were shitty, because they have to accommodate for AAs/SAs and it takes away specific map control areas, because there are no danger areas for that map control to...control. Everywhere is safe, because you always have an out.

I suppose we have to concede that something like this will make it in, but they really need to make sure it doesn't provide too much movement. If they added thrusters, removed sprint, and upped base movement speed it might work...but who knows.

daedalius

Yeah I agree with this, it's really disorientating being shifted into third person all the time, especially with thrusters.

I feel like having two thruster charges would be a bad idea, if they do implement it. I really don't want every game to be a bunch of idiots zooming around on rollerskates while I fruitlessly try to actually use my gun. Not to mention that if sprint is default, you can cover a huge amount of ground with just those two abilities, meaning that once again, we aren't going to get any decent small maps.

Imagine Guardian with sprint and thruster, it just wouldn't work. It's one of my favourite maps, and it's because it is tight and interesting to navigate. With sprint and thruster, areas that were dangerous before - like top mid, bottom mid - would no longer be, because of how quickly you can move out of them. This is why the 'small arena' maps in Halo 4 were shitty, because they have to accommodate for AAs/SAs and it takes away specific map control areas, because there are no danger areas for that map control to...control. Everywhere is safe, because you always have an out.

I suppose we have to concede that something like this will make it in, but they really need to make sure it doesn't provide too much movement. If they added thrusters, removed sprint, and upped base movement speed it might work...but who knows.

Titan combat with dashes is pretty great, that's really the only thing I can compare it to. But at least in titanfall you have full control and aiming during dashes, which I would love to have in halo as well.

Titans can sprint, but it doesn't seem like it's much faster than default speed.

-Ryn

Banned

Why would you use a map that was never designed with sprint or thruster pack in mind as an example of why they wouldn't work for gameplay?

You can still have map control and have thrusters or sprint. I mean if you want to have Arena gameplay then I can understand the argument that sprint wouldn't work (which is why I think they should make it a toggle for Halo 5). However I don't really see thrusters being detrimental to arena gameplay. Even if it were like Halo 4 with unlimited charges, I think that the cool down is fairly reasonable. Making the thruster something that can only be used once or twice per life would punish those who are able to stay alive longer and leave them at a disadvantage.

Assuming that the thrusters have been reworked so that it can have enhanced maneuverability, it wouldn't be beneficial to limit those who are able to take full advantage of it. Not to mention that if you need to die before you can use your thrusters again then people may be less likely to actually use them. If you give a reasonable cool down (maybe a bit longer than 4) for the ability and don't limit it's use then that can add more diversity to battles as well as how you can approach them.

If it must have some kind of limit per life though, I think there should be a way to replenish it via on map pick ups or something.

Make it a core part of the gameplay.
Not just something that is tacked on for a use or 2.

Nirvana

Why would you use a map that was never designed with sprint or thruster pack in mind as an example of how they wouldn't work?

Because that is the entire point of my argument. Guardian, Lockout, Midship, whatever, all of these maps were great because they were designed with simple focus on map control and map navigation in mind, one of the most important aspects of which was danger areas. Top mid Guardian, top mid Midship, rockets/camo on the Pit, all of these areas were dangerous and there was risk/reward in using them. When a player can sprint, use thrusters, active camo, etc. they have an inbuilt, unpredictable escape mechanism which makes traversing dangerous areas much easier, and takes away a huge element of Halo - risk and reward.

It was quicker to traverse Guardian if you used top mid, but players rarely did it because the risk generally outweighed the reward. That's why sniper tower was the hotly contested point of the map, because it controlled top mid and the areas that lead to/from it.

Ordnance obviously plays another massive role in taking away from map control elements, in that weapon spawns are a huge part of map control. Being able to escape from any danger area without risk is a huge problem for map design, as weapon spawns become much more up-for-grabs than previous iterations. This could be seen in Reach, where map control around weapon spawns/timers didn't come into play as much (in MLG under strict settings it did), because you can't reliably lock down an area when the other team can just armour lock/jetpack/thruster pack/whateverthefuck out of danger and turn everything around.

-Ryn

Banned
Because that is the entire point of my argument. Guardian, Lockout, Midship, whatever, all of these maps were great because they were designed with simple focus on map control and map navigation in mind, one of the most important aspects of which was danger areas. Top mid Guardian, top mid Midship, rockets/camo on the Pit, all of these areas were dangerous and there was risk/reward in using them. When a player can sprint, use thrusters, active camo, etc. they have an inbuilt, unpredictable escape mechanism which makes traversing dangerous areas much easier, and takes away a huge element of Halo - risk and reward.

It was quicker to traverse Guardian if you used top mid, but players rarely did it because the risk generally outweighed the reward. That's why sniper tower was the hotly contested point of the map, because it controlled top mid and the areas that lead to/from it.

Ordnance obviously plays another massive role in taking away from map control elements, in that weapon spawns are a huge part of map control. Being able to escape from any danger area without risk is a huge problem for map design, as weapon spawns become much more up-for-grabs than previous iterations. This could be seen in Reach, where map control around weapon spawns/timers didn't come into play as much (in MLG under strict settings it did), because you can't reliably lock down an area when the other team can just armour lock/jetpack/thruster pack/whateverthefuck out of danger and turn everything around.
I don't think sprint detracts from risk vs reward scenarios. I don't find it that unpredictable either but that's just me. I do get what you meant earlier about the thrusters going 3rd person being jarring. Just wanted to mention that.

While I agree with you in that the stuff you mentioned could (and most of it would) break the maps and how they played, that isn't really relevant in the end because Gaurdian and those various maps were never designed with them in mind in the first place. Not to mention, only 2 of the things you are talking about (thrusters and sprint) have even been hinted at being in Halo 5.

As for the rest of your argument, I was only arguing that thrusters could still work in an arena setting provided that the maps were designed around it (and they should be if it is a core mechanic). Camo as an armor ability is gone and we don't even know if random ordnance (which I think is fun for party game types but that's about it) is going to be returning. The only things we know are that they will be attempting to have arena gameplay in some form for Halo 5, and these spartan abilities are going to be a part of it.

Hopefully they manage to make it all work.

Madness

I would think 343 is smart enough to know by now, that even though they have plans to "change up the formula" again with this Halo 5 game play with Spartan Abilities or whatever, they'd still need to provide more classic experiences, especially for gamers coming off of a year of CE, 2 and 3 play.

I think that's why they're giving us this beta for so long. To see whether or not it's even fun. To see how a ground and pound ability, or wall slide, or tackle or whatever they have planned even plays or is used amongst the larger community. If a lot of communities hate the way it plays, they can switch it back up a bit, so as to avoid the player decline Halo 4 did.

Mistel

Banned
So Pitfall and Vertigo never show up because they aren't required DLC to play in the DLC playlist. Apparently all you need is the DLC that had Skyline, Landfall, and Monolith.

So even in the fucking DLC playlist you can't play the DLC because, apparently, no lobby ever has the Bullseye Pack (Vertigo + Pit) ergo you will literally never see them in matchmaking.

Give them out for free. This DLC people bought and paid for (and that is TIED TO ACHIEVEMENTS) is never an option in the game. Ever.
Why would you make a dlc playlist if not all the dlc was required to play it?

Blitzkrieger

Neo Member
I would think 343 is smart enough to know by now, that even though they have plans to "change up the formula" again with this Halo 5 game play with Spartan Abilities or whatever, they'd still need to provide more classic experiences, especially for gamers coming off of a year of CE, 2 and 3 play.

I think that's why they're giving us this beta for so long. To see whether or not it's even fun. To see how a ground and pound ability, or wall slide, or tackle or whatever they have planned even plays or is used amongst the larger community. If a lot of communities hate the way it plays, they can switch it back up a bit, so as to avoid the player decline Halo 4 did.

I agree with you. Most of my live friends I played Reach with hated Halo 4 multiplayer simply because the things we collectively hated in Reach were in Halo 4. Not to mention many maps were or felt broken. With a beta 343i can surely avoid a repeat of Halo 4.

Everyone is getting on?

Fucking... fine. But realize this is cutting into my Attack on Titan time.

There are big dudes and little dudes. Big dudes defeat the little dudes, but then the little dudes defeat the big dudes. There, I filled you in on everything you might have missed.

I haven't seen AoT

willow ve

Why would you make a dlc playlist if not all the dlc was required to play it?

I actually support them making a DLC playlist without all maps required... The only catch is they should make it so "any" map pack is required. IE: I could delete all the other map packs except for Bullseye and the game would intelligently match me with other people who have Vertigo and Pitfall.

It seems the DLC playlist does require one of the map packs - the one with Skyline, Monolith, and Landfall - but doesn't require the other packs.

-----

After entering lobbies and backing out 37 times (yes, I counted - notepad and everything) I finally got a single lobby that had Vertigo as a voting option. And now that I have the achievement for that map I can say I don't ever need to play that random cluster of vertical structures / platforms ever again. It feels like it's designed for jetpack (which I use because trolling) and the spawn points quickly become predictable. All that said it was nice to finally see the map in matchmaking.

Tonight I tackle The Pit. Hopefully it takes less than 37 attempts to find a match.

-----

Really hope they sort out DLC distribution with Halo 5. It's no fun to purchase additional content and then slog through hours of lobby / menu waiting in the hopes that you can actually play what you paid for.

-Ryn

Banned
There are big dudes and little dudes. Big dudes defeat the little dudes, but then the little dudes defeat the big dudes. There, I filled you in on everything you might have missed.

I haven't seen AoT
Everybody realizes the power of friendship and resolves their differences. They then eat pizza and drink lemonade with little umbrellas to the tune of "Hello, Goodbye"

I really recommend checking it out

Never did this...

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
Lurked early 2011, became a member sometime that year.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from?
21, Melbourne, Australia.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
Fan since I played my first game, which was Halo 2. Since then I have played all the games "thoroughly".

What mode do you spend most of your time in? (i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)
In terms of raw hours, possibly forge, second to multiplayer. I've played my fair share of custom games, and I'm still pretty pathetic at the game! In terms of forge, I've made a few things, some are listed here, in a blog I forgot existed.

What is your favorite playlist? (i.e. MLG, Action Sack)
I play a bit of everything. Plain old Team slayer and SWAT are two of my favourites.

Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.
Bungie.net, Halo Waypoint (mod for a while), Reaching perfection (forge, design), HBO, and a few others.

Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.
As of late I haven't really played any games, busy studying and watching a plethora of Sci-Fi.

Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)
Enjoy programming all things except database systems, in all languages except Perl (sue me!) About to complete a Computer Science degree, and hopefully complete an honours thesis.

-Ryn

Banned
Never did this...

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
Lurked early 2011, became a member sometime that year.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from?
21, Melbourne, Australia.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
Fan since I played my first game, which was Halo 2. Since then I have played all the games "thoroughly".

What mode do you spend most of your time in? (i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)
In terms of raw hours, possibly forge, second to multiplayer. I've played my fair share of custom games, and I'm still pretty pathetic at the game! In terms of forge, I've made a few things, some are listed here, in a blog I forgot existed.

What is your favorite playlist? (i.e. MLG, Action Sack)
I play a bit of everything. Plain old Team slayer and SWAT are two of my favourites.

Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.
Bungie.net, Halo Waypoint (mod for a while), Reaching perfection (forge, design), HBO, and a few others.

Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.
As of late I haven't really played any games, busy studying and watching a plethora of Sci-Fi.

Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)
Enjoy programming all things except database systems, in all languages except Perl (sue me!) About to complete a Computer Science degree, and hopefully complete an honours thesis.
Any sci-fi in particular that you've enjoyed?

Any sci-fi in particular that you've enjoyed?

Almost all to be honest. Love Star Trek DS9, Battlestar Galactica TRS and as an Australian I have to mention Farscape.

Oh, and Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis.

EDIT:
I just realised I forgot to mention Firefly.

brb punishing self.

Thank you, kind sir. Manners goes a long way. Here; have some land and title.

The 49th, if you please. It's traditional.

(Thank you both for the welcome)

I'll watch anything with Hugh Laurie in it.

-Ryn

Banned
Almost all to be honest. Love Star Trek DS9, Battlestar Galactica TRS and as an Australian I have to mention Farscape.

Oh, and Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis.

EDIT:
I just realised I forgot to mention Firefly.

brb punishing self.
Eh, Firefly was pretty lame

WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE CANCELLED!?

I had a real blast playing with everyone yesterday. Prinz, Biggy, Tckaos, Ryan (Welcome Btw!), Exwife, daedalius, randomrosso, Ninja, Silver. And then there's Enter the 36 chambers we played those sick Invasion games. Along with Storm on BtB. Would love to do a gaf night on Halo 4 again. Including others I've forget to mention.

Frank & Toshi's cheerleaders maybe? =P

-Ryn

Banned
I had a real blast playing with everyone yesterday. Prinz, Biggy, Tckaos, Ryan (Welcome Btw!), Exwife, daedalius, randomrosso, Ninja, Silver. And then there's Enter the 36 chambers we played those sick Invasion games. Along with Storm on BtB. Would love to do a gaf night on Halo 4 again. Including others I've forget to mention.

Frank & Toshi's cheerleaders maybe? =P
Those BTB matches were insane

Tawpgun

So allegedly 343 might be backpedaling on 1080p for MCC?

Saw some talk in the other thread that all mentions of 1080p were replaced by Xbox One Visual Fidelity

Saw some talk in the other thread that all mentions of 1080p were replaced by Xbox One Visual Fidelity

Didn't they say at e3 that H2A wasn't 1080p and that they were shooting for it? Maybe they just don't want to mislead people by saying the entire package is 1080p when only parts of it are.

Dub117

Supposedly all the games are on track for 1080/60 except h2a which may have to sacrifice a little resolution. I think that's what Frankie said. Also, h2a is 60fps for sure so no worries there. The game already looks really good, I'm not too worried.

Had a blast playing reach. I'll be on at some stage today again if you and storm are around for more invasion

Omni

Wouldn't surprise me. They are shooting for 60fps. And besides if it were something like 900p are you really gonna notice? I feel like the difference is a bit blown out of proportion sometimes

People getting bent out of shape over resolution are the people who don't have real life problems to actually deal with. Gaming side meltdowns over the topic are just sad to watch.

Outside of gaf, regular people don't give a fuck about 900/1080. Same way no one gave a fuck about halo 3 being sub 720.

60 fps will be a noticeable improvement for halo and I'm happy their working for that over 1080p.

Toa TAK

Banned

Can't say I'm super upset by this. I think the games look phenomenal as is. 1080p is nice, but has never been a big deal to me personally. Same with 30/60fps.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I would imagine Halo 2 Anniversary is the only game not running at 1080p. Kind of hilarious if the others aren't as well though.

Top Bottom