• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

dwells

Medals don't look awful anymore!

image_41869_fit_620.jpg

I swear to god, if they change Running Riot in Halo 2 classic to be fifteen kills instead of ten and change Killtacular to Overkill, I'm gonna be pissed.

Sephzilla

I swear to god, if they change Running Riot in Halo 2 classic to be fifteen kills instead of ten and change Killtacular to Overkill, I'm gonna be pissed.

Amen.

They should retroactively update the newer titles and make things right. Killtacular is and always will be 4 kills

Akai__

Playlists look alright to me.

Also, I just finished Halo 2 on Legendary and got all achievements. Turns out, that I didn't need the mission "The Oracle" for it. Lucky me, because it still crashes...

He's softened in his old age. Eazy B would have given you an aneurysm right over the internet.

LMAO

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I like the new system better, but yeah, I doubt they'll go back and change H2C's medals.

It's almost like the mystery isn't covered in the OP or something.
No one reads HaloGAF OTs after the discussion is past the first page.

It's almost like the mystery isn't covered in the OP or something.

Knowing NeoGaf I'm sure that quick GIF I made is violating some secret code that only the most memberiest of the members are allowed to know while all you secretly snicker and laugh...

while eating Takis.

Edit: I just checked the OP and it's still vague and mysterious. HGS alludes me. Google search yields nothing. Maybe I need to go back to HaloWaypoint where all the H4 Camo+Boltshot loadout lovers dwell.

m23

Gears 3 dedicated was really good. Hopefully this is as good.

Yeah it was great. Dedis being used are good, but the game still needs good netcode I think to work well. Hopefully 343 can pull it off and we have good connections for all the games.

Several games using dedicated servers have crap netcode.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I think some of the issues with dedicated servers is that the avg gamer doesn't even know what the hell that means.

For example, in Titanfall, it gives you the choice to pick your datacenter location,.e.g, south, west, north, east, etc.

I live in Houston, Texas, so naturally I'm going to set mine to the south. However, when I see people with high pings in the game...they're obviously not from the south, thus why are they even playing on a south datacenter?

I see it also in Quake Live. I play only on Dallas servers, yet I will see europeans and people from say California and NYC come into Dallas servers and they complain they have a high ping and I'm like...why are you playing on a Dallas server? Their response is usually, "I just picked quick match".

So yeah, there's going to be some people out there, many of them, that don't know what the hell they're doing and will just pick something that gives them a game the quickest without even knowing they're playing on a dedicated server far far away from them.

Impala26

Never played it, is it really that bad? It feels weird to be missing out on a Bungie game but I have zero interest for it.

I had to dip my toes in it just to see (did a 30-day free Gamefly rental) and I'll say this, there's no doubt that it FEELS like a Bungie game, so that made it easy for me to get into quickly.

That said it feels like it's missing things, like it's missing a "heart and soul" or something. Obviously the story was panned (for good reason), but the atmosphere is as fantastic to expect from anything Bungie's put out. However, someone just REALLY needs to wake up Mr. Dinklage when recording dialogue for the next Destiny installment though. Half the time his dialogue is as cringey as the infamous H3 "To war" line by Miranda Keyes. That really breaks your immersion, but you have to think some of that has to be simply bad writing too.

But as Matt Lees in his podcasts has pointed out, despite the shell of a story, shooting aliens in the head hundreds and hundreds of times is still quite satisfying surprisingly. The Crucible PVP is fun and entertaining, but just not as tight and balanced as any Halo multiplayer suite.

Looking at the playlists, I too am a fan of Objective, so I hope Team Hardcore has a good amount of it.

But I know the population will be shit. :(

God I hope the netcode is wonderful. I really hope so.

Ramirez

Here's my problem with dedis, I play with a lot of West Coast people. Titanfall was so not fun while playing with them, very noticeable lag on my end. L4D was on dedis too, and that MP was unbearable most of the time, which sucks because I loved the premise of it.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Here's my problem with dedis, I play with a lot of West Coast people. Titanfall was so not fun while playing with them, very noticeable lag on my end. L4D was on dedis too, and that MP was unbearable most of the time, which sucks because I loved the premise of it.

What part of the country are you in?

In my opinion, if you're east coast and you have west coast friends, gotta meet in the middle if it's possible. No matter how fast your connection speed is, playing on opposite sides of the country is always going to be lagfest.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God I hope the netcode is wonderful. I really hope so.
I know, man. It's the last thing that could really go wrong. New Halo releases have been disappointing for so long that I have this uneasy feeling telling me to not get too excited.

Ramirez

In my opinion, if you're east coast and you have west coast friends, gotta meet in the middle if it's possible. No matter how fast your connection speed is, playing on opposite sides of the country is always going to be lagfest.

I'm in Ky, main reason I've never been excited about dedis.

I know, man. It's the last thing that could really go wrong. New Halo releases have been disappointing for so long that I have this uneasy feeling telling me to not get too excited.

Wasn't the primary problem in Halo always the host connection? With average affordable internet speeds on the rise, plenty of dedicated servers, and no peer to peer hosting, wouldn't that imply that even if the netcode was left untouched that our experience will still be unequivocally better?

As long as it's better than Battlefield 4's release... LOL

Cow

Personally I'm pretty happy with the playlists, nice work 343. I'm happy that there's a social playlist in there so ranked isnt forced. Though, 2v2 would've been nice somewhere in the mix. I feel like team hardcore is a bit pointless with halo esports and halo 2 & 3 having their own respective 4v4 lobbies, why not just include hardcore as one of the voting options in those?

Will the team slayer and big team playlists be social or ranked?

FyreWulff

What dedis provide is consistency. They're on certain backbones/lines, so have plenty of bandwidth for the session, and don't have to split processing time between the network simulation and rendering the game's graphics.

What they don't solve is latency. You can still have shitty ping to a dedi, and the issues that come with shitty ping. It'll be consistent ping and you're 99% less likely to have NAT issues, but they still don't solve every issue in one go.

The advantage to peer hosted, or as they used to be called "listen servers", is that you can get extremely low ping if you are all in the same city with no server facility in it. The downside of course is the host has to have a good internet connection to handle the bandwidth for the session. And of course the fact that the same box has to render both the game and handle the networking will limit what you can do.

edit: also host advantage not existing on dedis is pretty good

All I know is playing on dedis and NOT playing on dedis was like night and day on Gears 3. The netcode in general was a LOT stronger than it was in Gears 1/2, but only the people who bought the DLC got to play on dedicated servers(pretty sneaky epic). You couldn't even get matched up with people who didn't have them, they had em all in this little ghetto totally oblivious...sometimes we'd play with a guy who didn't have the maps, omg was there a difference.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You'd also have a lot more consistent play.

Now you don't have this one jerk who always got host advantage become a god... now everyone is a filthy peasant

You'd also have a lot more consistent play.

Now you don't have this one jerk who always got host advantage become a god... now everyone is a filthy peasant

yes...I was so much more confident in the hit detection in Gears of War 3. I sponged shots less, the rifles are incredibly viable now alongside the shotgun. Combine that with the general improvements they made with the resolution, the animations, and cover system/movement, it was the smoothest Gears of War experience I've ever had. A big improvement on the first two games. No more dudes whining about Host Shotgun. No game being paused/over because the host quit and now we got to switch hosts again. No Standbying motherfuckers. NONE of that shit.

http://i.imgur.com/rGydnlS.gifv

Every other match stuff like this happens.

Jesus, that looks awful. I doubt I'd play it for long if the netcode is this bad a lot of the time.

I had to dip my toes in it just to see (did a 30-day free Gamefly rental) and I'll say this, there's no doubt that it FEELS like a Bungie game, so that made it easy for me to get into quickly.

That said it feels like it's missing things, like it's missing a "heart and soul" or something. Obviously the story was panned (for good reason), but the atmosphere is as fantastic to expect from anything Bungie's put out. However, someone just REALLY needs to wake up Mr. Dinklage when recording dialogue for the next Destiny installment though. Half the time his dialogue is as cringey as the infamous H3 "To war" line by Miranda Keyes. That really breaks your immersion, but you have to think some of that has to be simply bad writing too.

But as Matt Lees in his podcasts has pointed out, despite the shell of a story, shooting aliens in the head hundreds and hundreds of times is still quite satisfying surprisingly. The Crucible PVP is fun and entertaining, but just not as tight and balanced as any Halo multiplayer suite.

Yeah I've heard it's still fun, and a 'good' game, but it just doesn't seem to meet barely any of my expectations from when it was first revealed. It looks like it's a fun shooter, and not much else.

I'm in Ky, main reason I've never been excited about dedis.

New Mexico says hello. Unless I was playing alone, Titanfall was 90% of the time just a crap experience. Halo games were almost always a better experience.

Without the ability to actually choose which dedis we're connected to, the advantage is negligible compared to p2p for someone in my position. If you don't live near either coast, or at the least a big city, it's all just talk.

Trey

I can't remember what game series it was, but I remember a dev talking about a cut sniper rifle that homed, but had a tradeoff over distance; up closer it was far weaker but more likely to track a strafing target, then it gathered momentum and lethality the further away the bullet or energy pulse or whatever it was travelled—at the same time reducing the homing effect. Was always interested in seeing exactly how that sort of weapon would play out.

Help FyreWulff how do we code this?

Ramirez

All I know is playing on dedis and NOT playing on dedis was like night and day on Gears 3. The netcode in general was a LOT stronger than it was in Gears 1/2, but only the people who bought the DLC got to play on dedicated servers(pretty sneaky epic). You couldn't even get matched up with people who didn't have them, they had em all in this little ghetto totally oblivious...sometimes we'd play with a guy who didn't have the maps, omg was there a difference.

Gears net code was embarrassing, so I don't feel it applies to most other games like Halo/BF/CoD.

yes...I was so much more confident in the hit detection in Gears of War 3. I sponged shots less, the rifles are incredibly viable now alongside the shotgun. Combine that with the general improvements they made with the resolution, the animations, and cover system/movement, it was the smoothest Gears of War experience I've ever had. A big improvement on the first two games. No more dudes whining about Host Shotgun. No game being paused/over because the host quit and now we got to switch hosts again. No Standbying motherfuckers. NONE of that shit.

That awkward moment when your friend brags about how good he was at Gears of War 1 when he had host shotgun almost every game.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom