• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F |OT| BELEEK (PS3/Vita)

OMG Aero

guys i think i ruined time machine
yYKOBUi.jpg

yyr

Trying Cat Food on Hard and actually playing for accuracy...it felt like I had to press late to find the center of the Cool window, like the song was early. My timing setting was 0. I do use analog video and an amplifier, so I figured that might have been to blame; I followed an earlier StarCreator suggestion, unplugged the audio from my TV (which then led to my amp) and connected it directly to headphones instead.

It then felt EVEN MORE off.

So now I'm experimenting with the timing settings. Currently at about +20, and I feel like I'm close. Is anyone else using a setting/setup similar to this?

The last 3 songs on Hard (Unhappy Refrain, Rin-chan Now, and Negaposi Continues) are way too Hard for me though.
Gah.

In the meantime, go to Extreme difficulty, sort by difficulty, start at the top of the list and see how far you can get. Once you get legitimately stuck...try those last 3 on Hard again. =) Good luck!

guys i think i ruined time machine
yYKOBUi.jpg

Are those tears, or is that mucus...? I don't even know what to take from this.

Trying Cat Food on Hard and actually playing for accuracy...it felt like I had to press late to find the center of the Cool window, like the song was early. My timing setting was 0. I do use analog video and an amplifier, so I figured that might have been to blame; I followed an earlier StarCreator suggestion, unplugged the audio from my TV (which then led to my amp) and connected it directly to headphones instead.

It then felt EVEN MORE off.

So now I'm experimenting with the timing settings. Currently at about +20, and I feel like I'm close. Is anyone else using a setting/setup similar to this?

Analog video? If you mean you're running composite or S-Video to an SD CRT, that suggests to me more than anything else that the game is actually compensating for video lag a little by default, even at zero. I've never actually run the game on a non-HDTV, and I've certainly never had to push adjustment positive with audio lag eliminated.

yyr

I'm using component video. In the end, I went with a value of about +30.

I think I'll submit my score now. After 20+ attempts, I know I can probably do a bit better--after all, I was flirting with SDG during one of my last runs (then broke combo near the end, boooooo). But it's time to walk away, heh.

Some tips I can offer to anyone looking to maximize their scores, on this or any song:

- Obviously, don't break combo. This is the greatest deciding factor in determining your score.
- Don't F up Chance Time! During all other parts of the song, you lose 200 points when hitting a Good, compared to what you would have earned had you hit a Cool. During Chance Time, this increases to 600!
- It is possible to hit arrow notes by holding a direction on the D-pad and tapping just the face buttons, yes. For example, you could hit three Down arrows by holding Down on the D-pad beforehand, and just tapping X three times at the right moments. BUT you receive a bonus of 200 points each time you press both the direction and face button together, on time. So if you hit those three arrows the easy way, you just left 600 points on the table. Press both, release, press both, release, press both. Voila! Bonus!

Do your best, everyone. My belief is that the maximum possible score on Cat Food Hard is approximately 495,000 points. How close can you get?

I'm using component video. In the end, I went with a value of about +30.

This shouldn't make a huge difference over HDMI if you're outputting HD; most consumer level HDTVs make use of a digital scaler even when receiving an analog signal.

Honestly, I'd argue that the game is just timed late in general and you are probably adjusting it to your liking despite input lag, not because of it.

Just finished all songs on normal mode (Sadistic Music Factory and Negaposi*Continues caused me a lot of hassle) and saw the credits.

Not looking forward to those two on Hard mode :(.

Aytrial

Just finished all songs on normal mode (Sadistic Music Factory and Negaposi*Continues caused me a lot of hassle) and saw the credits.

Not looking forward to those two on Hard mode :(.

The only real painful parts of the Hard songs that took time adjusting for me during my first time were rapid streams of double notes. Since there's no way to compensate with a second input (alternating face buttons and the d-pad), I found it very awkward to pull them off until I got used to the positioning for my fingers.

How does one get the DLC normally? I'm in Europe, I didn't see it on the PSN store? Is it not out here?

In the NA version the Extra Characters DLC was available on release day. Snow Miku 2013 is a timed GameStop exclusive, and can only be obtained via product code at the moment. I have no idea what the DLC situation is for the European version, nor do I think the NA product codes would work for it (thus why the prize for the score challenge is limited to US/Canada, though I'm told Mexico should also be included).

The date listed on the DLC page is the 27th September for both EU and US.

I can't wait!

Interesting that it dates the extra characters for 9/27 when they were already out on the release day. Was their release accidental?

Is this all the DLC that will be released for the Western version? No PoPiPo?

There hasn't been any word on whether we'll get the remaining DLC here. PoPiPo Special edition is part of the Toro and Kuro DLC pack though, and rumor has it the Toro and Kuro licensing situation outside of Japan is rather complicated.

Interesting that it dates the extra characters for 9/27 when they were already out on the release day. Was their release accidental?

There hasn't been any word on whether we'll get the remaining DLC here. PoPiPo Special edition is part of the Toro and Kuro DLC pack though, and rumor has it the Toro and Kuro licensing situation outside of Japan is rather complicated.

Well toro & kuro managed to come in the west in games like Everybody's golf or street x tekken ..( few examples but i'm sure more games have them ) so i think it must be a way ..

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
The Extra Character Modules being available on Day 1 in NA was planned. I'll check in to see if I can find out any info on DLC availability for those of you in Europe. :)

Edit: Oh my god, that Time Machine pic. Not sure if Terribly Amazing or Amazingly Terrible... or both.

Still looking for participants for the score challenge! A few people have said they're working on it but haven't sent scores in yet... you have around three days left to do so!

Well toro & kuro managed to come in the west in games like Everybody's golf or street x tekken ..( few examples but i'm sure more games have them ) so i think it must be a way ..

Everybody's Golf is Sony first party, so that isn't surprising. Street Fighter X Tekken is not, but its part of a -very- short list of third party games that retain Toro and Kuro internationally. More often than not, they go missing in the jump, or games that feature them never make the jump at all.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Still looking for participants for the score challenge! A few people have said they're working on it but haven't sent scores in yet... you have around three days left to do so!

I'll participate, though I won't be in for the prize. But it's not gonna be a high score.

Wonko_C

I hurt my hand (and knees, etc.) saving a stray kitten from a dog which was "playing" with it like a shoe, playing anything hurts so I'm going to have to sit this one out.

Wonko_C

8riJFBG.png

You're definitely a winner even if you can't play right now.

Thanks for the kind words. I hadn't thought about the kitten from Cat Food (how fitting! LOL).
The one I rescued is still feral, and scared, but at least it eats, drinks and even uses the litter when I'm not around. It is practically a miracle that it escaped from the dog's mouth virtually unharmed.

Kikirin

This score attack challenge is driving me nuts. The timing window for Cools feels very tight compared to other rhythm games. Either that or I haven't calibrated my delay correctly. T^T

On that note, any tips for calibration? I've been aiming to set it up such that Cool timing is aligned with the start of the corresponding note in the audio, through a headphone connected directly to the TV. However, this seems to only get me about 95% accuracy, and at times it feels like my ideal timing is between two adjacent delay numbers.

cjkeats

I don't think I can top my score I have now for Cat Food. I'll keep trying and submit on the last day, but I don't think it'll get much better.

I've played this song so many times over the last few day's you'd think I'd be hearing it in my dreams.I am rolling in DP now though thanks to the Mega Survival challenge.

I don't think I can top my score I have now for Cat Food. I'll keep trying and submit on the last day, but I don't think it'll get much better.

I've played this song so many times over the last few day's you'd think I'd be hearing it in my dreams.I am rolling in DP now though thanks to the Mega Survival challenge.

Should be using Perfectionist, gives more DP and forces you to time better or die. =p

cjkeats

Should be using Perfectionist, gives more DP and forces you to time better or die. =p

I just tried that ad it was a much more forgiving than I thought. I guess I somehow had the idea that I only had as many misses as Mega Survival. Oh well, I'll stick with this then, cause I just beat my score. lol

yyr

The timing window for Cools feels very tight compared to other rhythm games.

I definitely agree. I feel like it's on a similar level to IIDX, much tighter than DDR.

at times it feels like my ideal timing is between two adjacent delay numbers.

The difference in delay numbers is a mere 1ms. Just find something that feels good and roll with it, or you'll drive yourself nuts forever. I was changing the setting for, like, an hour...

Step

So, I just found Rolling Girl and Nekomim Switch created by the community those were knda cool to play, I hope there are more songs coming, right now the list only has Trophy ones : (

MarkusRJR

Just saw the Giant Bomb quick look and died laughing at it. So good.

Never really paid attention to the Miku games. I'm into rhythm games though. Would this be a fun pick up?

It bums me out that the Giant Bomb crew didn't really dig Hatsune Miku. I don't think the game necessarily lives up to the heights of the BENAMI series, but there is a lot of fun to be had. It feels like they just were so turned off by the "Japanese-ness" of it that they didn't even give it a chance. Oh well.

I would suggest anyone wondering if they should get into the series to first watch some youtube videos of the vocaloid stuff and see if they enjoy the music. If you enjoy the music, the game is actually pretty good.

Ken

Finally got around to making a new instruction card for conventions.

so weird to see someone print out something i made lol but hopefully people find it useful!

wish i saved a higher resolution version to give before i cropped and saved over the original

Eusis

I would suggest anyone wondering if they should get into the series to first watch some youtube videos of the vocaloid stuff and see if they enjoy the music. If you enjoy the music, the game is actually pretty good.
There's also a demo on PSN to try. For a game like this it's plenty to figure out if you'd want more or not.

Kumubou

I'm going to drive myself nuts playing Cat Food. I don't think my score is good enough to win even now, but it's probably close. I agree with yyr, the song is not synched properly -- it feels like everything is a little late. I've been playing it at +10 and it's probably later than that, but if I put it any higher the timing and the visual sync end up fucked. The game needs separate audio and video lag adjustments. I think there are also a couple of notes that are just placed weird (the holds at the beginning of the first technical section feel late, even relative to the rest of the song).

I just don't understand ..played cat food once and put a good score ... and now i'm trying again and again for this challenge and i can't beat my previous score...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.?

i think i'm better at this game when i'm not thinking about my score ... this is an unfortunate reality...

Rhapsody

Banned
I just don't understand ..played cat food once and put a good score ... and now i'm trying again and again for this challenge and i can't beat my previous score...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.?

i think i'm better at this game when i'm not thinking about my score ... this is an unfortunate reality...

This was me. Never beat my first score so I'm just going to submit whatever I have. lol
I might just give up trying to beat it.

Top Bottom