• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F |OT| BELEEK (PS3/Vita)

RMI

Banned
Joystiq review is up. That Metascore is taking a beating.

well that was kind of rage inducing.

Not the score, but the actual written content in the review seems kind of poor, especially the claim that the music isn't varied enough. Also, the author claims that there are better rhythm games out there, but doesn't go into any detail about which they are or why they're any better. Finally, the complexity of the patterns is part of the fucking game! It sounds like this guy just wants a bland-assed note highway over a generic background.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
well that was kind of rage inducing.

Not the score, but the actual written content in the review seems kind of poor, especially the claim that the music isn't varied enough. Also, the author claims that there are better rhythm games out there, but doesn't go into any detail about which they are or why they're any better. Finally, the complexity of the patterns is part of the fucking game! It sounds like this guy just wants a bland-assed note highway over a generic background.
I would love to see his list of better rhythm games. And I hope he would list ones that are playable on consoles.

Wonko_C

Not to mention this blatant lie:

One of the interesting aspects of the synthesized vocals is that each song will sound slightly different depending on which character is singing, though they all sound a bit like late-era Cher thanks to the not-quite-there-yet voice tech. The music videos that play in the background during the gameplay are rendered in full 3D and any changes made to your lineup are reflected in the video.

mollipen

Not to mention this blatant lie:

I think he means that he was literally surprised by the fact that different Vocaloids have different voices. As in, he expected that since a computer somewhere is making all of these sounds, it's impressive that they got those sounds to sound like different singers.

Which, of course, THEY ARE.

RMI

Banned
What does this even mean?

if the guy can't be bothered to tell the different vocaloid's voices apart, it's no surprise he thinks all the songs tend towards one style. Diva F actually has a great variety of music, and it's a real step up from Diva 2nd, though I gotta say (in my opinion) the best songs on 2nd are better than the best songs on F.

Danj

Just had my first go on the full version, managed to achieve a STANDARD grade! yay! (first time I tried the demo I failed miserably)

mollipen

if the guy can't be bothered to tell the different vocaloid's voices apart, it's no surprise he thinks all the songs tend towards one style. Diva F actually has a great variety of music, and it's a real step up from Diva 2nd, though I gotta say (in my opinion) the best songs on 2nd are better than the best songs on F.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, can compare (for me) to Extend. That game's track list is so, so amazing.

ECOIHvC.png

Very professional lot we have here.

I think you need to not take this review for a video game so seriously.

I think I have every right to complain about factual misstatements in a review posted on a notable website that affects customers' purchasing decisions. Or conversely, I would love to have a job where I can do no research on the subjects I write about and still get paid for it.

I own the Dreamy Theater 2nd controller, the F mini controller, and the F controller, and the DS3 is still my preferred controller for the game. Absolutely no issues with it.

Maybe it's just me - I'm used to playing IIDX with a KOC and on a CRT - but there seems to be a 100-200ms delay between a button press on the DS3 and the point where I actually hear the corresponding sound.

(also, of the controllers you have, which do you recommend the most?)

Maybe it's just me - I'm used to playing IIDX with a KOC and on a CRT - but there seems to be a 100-200ms delay between a button press on the DS3 and the point where I actually hear the corresponding sound.

(also, of the controllers you have, which do you recommend the most?)

That sounds like you have audio lag in your chain, which is almost always the case if you're depending on your TV or a home theater receiver to provide the audio. The first thing I always suggest is running analog audio directly from the PS3 to a set of computer speakers with their own volume control, to remove audio lag from the equation entirely. I've been meaning to make an instructional video of sorts since this is a subject that comes up again and again, but the time to do so hasn't come up yet.

As mentioned before, I generally just play with a Dualshock 3.

Earl_Grey

Murdered By StarCreator
honestly not surprised. What's the point of even reviewing the game if they go into it with an attitude like that?

The list of sites I trust for reviews gets shorter and shorter.

I think perhaps you're taking a joke between me and my old editor entirely the wrong way. Miku has a dedicated fanbase, one I've been covering since my time as a newsie on the Escapist. Knocking a game with Miku in it, even as gently as I did (3/5 is a GOOD score, guys), is sure to ruffle some feathers. Thus far, you've all been pretty cool about it though.

INB4 he actually murders me.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the game and 3/5 is a decent score in my book.

I'm not bothered by the score but by how absurd some of the assertions regarding Vocaloids themselves are, which were also totally unnecessary if you're reviewing the game. If you're going to go further into the Vocaloid phenomena, I don't think it's very much to ask for there to be some basic research behind it.

That sounds like you have audio lag in your chain, which is almost always the case if you're depending on your TV or a home theater receiver to provide the audio. The first thing I always suggest is running analog audio directly from the PS3 to a set of computer speakers with their own volume control, to remove audio lag from the equation entirely. I've been meaning to make an instructional video of sorts since this is a subject that comes up again and again, but the time to do so hasn't come up yet.

Now this makes sense. Audio is PS3>TV (over HDMI) > 2.1 speaker system (via optical). Will remove the TV from the equation and see if that helps. Thanks!

RMI

Banned
I think perhaps you're taking a joke between me and my old editor entirely the wrong way. Miku has a dedicated fanbase, one I've been covering since my time as a newsie on the Escapist. Knocking a game with Miku in it, even as gently as I did (3/5 is a GOOD score, guys), is sure to ruffle some feathers. Thus far, you've all been pretty cool about it though.

i'm actually not bothered by the score itself, but some of the problems with the text of the review that i mention in my posts above. I'm actually really interested to know what you think are some innovative rhythm games that are better than Diva F. Off the top of my head the only recent example in the same league is DJMAX Technika Tune, but the controls for that game (a game which i really like, btw) are a mess, really, so I don't find it as addictive and challenging as the Diva series.

Earl_Grey

Murdered By StarCreator
i'm actually not bothered by the score itself, but some of the problems with the text of the review that i mention in my posts above. I'm actually really interested to know what you think are some innovative rhythm games that are better than Diva F. Off the top of my head the only recent example in the same league is DJMAX Technika Tune, but the controls for that game (a game which i really like, btw) are a mess, really, so I don't find it as addictive and challenging as the Diva series.

I really need to figure out how spoiler tags work.

antibolo

Banned
A 73 metascore is not that bad for what this game is (a Japanese rhythm game that, let's be honest here, does absolutely nothing particularly innovative).

There's no point in being angry at the fact that a game you like has no mainstream Western appeal.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
I think I have every right to complain about factual misstatements in a review posted on a notable website that affects customers' purchasing decisions.
Was the review amended to correct the factual error?

Everyone has an opinion (and is most welcome to it - there are always good learnings to take from feedback), but I was curious about this as I couldn't find the quote about the voices changing when I read the review.

Was the review amended to correct the factual error?

Everyone has an opinion (and is most welcome to it - there are always good learnings to take from feedback), but I was curious about this as I couldn't find the quote about the voices changing when I read the review.

That quote is indeed gone from the review as it stands now. The strange comparison to Clippy and the comment on the supposed lack of genre range are both still there though.

How not to spoiler tag

I'm not really a fan of Miku myself, so I don't really have any problems with the score. The beginning of the review, however, is pretty asinine. Clippy. Is this real life? Not to mention there were some inaccuracies some others have mentioned, which seems to have been fixed by now (clap clap).

In the end, it's a game for niche audience, so reviews like these are kinda to be expected. Fans will buy something and sing praises regardless. Those that are not, in general, will be left bewildered. Shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game though, when someone doesn't "get it".

Wonko_C

I think he means that he was literally surprised by the fact that different Vocaloids have different voices. As in, he expected that since a computer somewhere is making all of these sounds, it's impressive that they got those sounds to sound like different singers.

Which, of course, THEY ARE.

Oh... Oooooh. Either that was a strange way of wording it, or my reading comprehension is terrible. =P

Edit: I thought the reviewer meant that if you use a different Vocaloid for the same song, the voice would be different.

It's obvious the reviewer didn't even give it a chance. Especially with the misinformation in there originally. Your readers should not have to correct your misinformation in your professional review.

Don't even get me started on Clippy.

I would have preferred they just didn't review the game at all.

RMI

Banned
How not to spoiler tag

I'm not really a fan of Miku myself, so I don't really have any problems with the score. The beginning of the review, however, is pretty asinine. Clippy. Is this real life? Not to mention there were some inaccuracies some others have mentioned, which seems to have been fixed by now (clap clap).

haha, sorry, it was my poor attempt at a joke considering the comment immediately before mine.

Yeah looks like he changed the review to reflect that, but in the comments he seems to be of the (idiotic) mind that somehow Diva F coming to PS3 kept Sega from releasing Yakuza 5 or Valkyria III or any other number of games that would have been way more effort to localize, because it's so obviously a 1:1.

Take that Yakuza fans! I'm enjoying Diva F and you'll never get to play Yakuza 5 because of it! Better start studying 日本語 !

Luigi87

...huh
I was doing World's End Umbrella on Expert, got past the mark to hit Standard (line is even blue), yet still got DropXOut o_o
Albeit I failed the Chance, so no extra sequence, but missing notes in Chance I thought didn't hurt your "health".

OMG Aero

Its just a couple of tweets. That's not really that serious.
Okay, I'm sorry for interrupting everyone diving on a review that was actually positive about the game play for not being more positive and getting mad at a joke about Clippy and a "blatant lie" that could easily just be a poorly worded way of saying he was surprised that the songs sang by different characters actually sounded like they were sung by different people, which isn't an insane thing to be shocked about when you are playing a game with songs sang by Microsoft Office Assistants.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Normally I'm one to respect people's views, but hell if I know where the hell that "clippy" comparison even came from, it just seems so... random (or wrong). Anyways, the metacritic isn't going to do anything. People who want the game are going to buy it regardless, and people who have never heard of or don't like the visual art style will stay away regardless of what a review says. Rhythm gaming has gone into niche category, and it being Japanese doesn't help that.

Gents, I have to share this with you. I was jumping for joy when I finally got this fucking song down. I was literally skipping in place for a good minute or two. The only song I have left to get an excellent on is Negaposi (lolno). Then again, that's what I said about sadistic music factory, and here we are.

Then we have Sebonzakura, a tricky song but I managed to pull out an excellent after multiple tries ;)

And a throwback to when I had the japanese version, my Unhppy Refrain score.

And yet I still haven't bought the big controller yet, I really need to get on that >:D

Noi

Trying to get the last 3 art pieces for my last trophy before the platinum. Hit play, back out, hit play, back out, hit play, back out, hit play, back out....

Aytrial

Trying to get the last 3 art pieces for my last trophy before the platinum. Hit play, back out, hit play, back out, hit play, back out, hit play, back out....

It took me an hour to get the final piece of art on the Vita version. Not looking forward to doing it all again.

So I'm looking into possibly running a score challenge (basically set a song and difficulty, and for a few days to a week open it up to people to submit their best scores for), but I'm not sure what skill level to set it to - would people have more fun with a challenge on Hard or Extreme difficulty? I'm a bit worried newcomers won't get much out of this, but I don't think there's much I can really do about that unfortunately =/

It took me an hour to get the final piece of art on the Vita version. Not looking forward to doing it all again.

Can't you buy the TV room item and have it loop PVs all night?

Hard is not a problem for me ...
Extreme difficulty is hardcore for newcommers but Hard is a middle ground when you're trying to have fun
I vote for Hard ...i honnestly can't get invested in normal difficulty anymore.
Extreme will limit the number of players attempting the challenge .... at least at first.

cjkeats

Hard is still a little too hard for me on songs I'm not familiar with. Songs I'v been listening to outside the game for months before hand are a lot easier so I can pass them on hard no problem. I'm still having trouble on extreme though.
I'll get it soon though. Practice makes perfect.

Speaking of perfects, I'm always one "Safe" away from a perfect too. It's killing me.

RMI

Banned
Speaking of perfects, I'm always one "Safe" away from a perfect too. It's killing me.

This never changes.

Hard is my favorite difficulty, a good balance of fun and challenge. Extreme is doable for me but I barely scrape by with a standard on most songs.

cjkeats

This never changes.

Hard is my favorite difficulty, a good balance of fun and challenge. Extreme is doable for me but I barely scrape by with a standard on most songs.

I'm getting there. I'm close to nailing down perfect on Acute and Weekender Girl but I always lose it at the end.

I'm starting to enjoy hard more too for the reasons you said, a good balance of fun and challenge. Or at least I'm not afraid of it anymore.

Kumubou

So I'm looking into possibly running a score challenge (basically set a song and difficulty, and for a few days to a week open it up to people to submit their best scores for), but I'm not sure what skill level to set it to - would people have more fun with a challenge on Hard or Extreme difficulty? I'm a bit worried newcomers won't get much out of this, but I don't think there's much I can really do about that unfortunately =/
Why not just pick a song and take scores across multiple difficulty levels (or even all of them), and let people submit on whatever difficulty they want. The one downside is that it would be more work for you.... :x Or maybe do it that way for the first week or two and see what spread you get difficulty wise.

Personally, I would want it on Extreme just because that's the one difficulty the game can actually get interesting, but I don't know how many people want to deal with that.

Why not just pick a song and take scores across multiple difficulty levels (or even all of them), and let people submit on whatever difficulty they want. The one downside is that it would be more work for you.... :x Or maybe do it that way for the first week or two and see what spread you get difficulty wise.

Personally, I would want it on Extreme just because that's the one difficulty the game can actually get interesting, but I don't know how many people want to deal with that.

Mainly because I have only one prize to give out .-.

Hard would still be interesting, but for other reasons.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Then make it a competition for every difficulty level, but only give out a prize for one of them. I guess (hope) most people would be in it for the fun anyway.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'd say Hard would be fine. While I wouldn't mind Extreme, I think more people would get more out of it on Hard.

yyr

...huh
I was doing World's End Umbrella on Expert, got past the mark to hit Standard (line is even blue), yet still got DropXOut o_o
Albeit I failed the Chance, so no extra sequence, but missing notes in Chance I thought didn't hurt your "health".

You are right. Notes in Chance Time do not affect your gauge at all (up OR down). But if your gauge empties before the song is over, it doesn't matter what your score was...you will not receive a passing grade.

You didn't stop playing after Chance Time, did you? World's End Umbrella has a bit more to it, after that!

Top Bottom