• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F |OT| BELEEK (PS3/Vita)

hamchan

I'm just trying to get perfect on Cat Food. Always end up getting one safe ;_;

At least I'm building up all these Diva points...

Deeku

i totally didn't know this came over, pretty cool!

i might get this despite having played it on vita, been out of the miku loop for too long! plus, i gotta show support for this sorta thing!

hamchan

Alright I got a score on Cat Food I can be proud of even though I probably won't win because my accuracy at hitting notes is so bad!

yyr

I'm just trying to get perfect on Cat Food. Always end up getting one safe ;_;

At least I'm building up all these Diva points...

I think you unlock a title for getting 1 Safe a certain number of times (maybe 10?). I'm well on my way towards that one =\

I finally played all of the Extra songs tonight after finishing the main songs, all on Normal. Summary of my thoughts:

- Rin-chan Now! is bizarre and weird and I feel strange playing it.
- Tokyo Teddy Bear was the hardest one to full combo because of the fast scroll speed and THOSE FOUR NOTES UGH GOD SO HARD TO TIME
- I really like the last one, I forget what it's called, senzonborabora or something.

I also finally figured out why this version seems way more difficult than the Vita version. The notes are smaller, in terms of their size compared to the size of the screen. So they can tend to get lost in the background more easily.
I also noticed another difference, this time between this version and the earlier Dreamy Theater versions on PS3: those earlier versions slightly darkened the area around each floating note icon, making them much easier to see, especially when combined with the smoother frame rate. PDF does not do this.

I really, really, really wish that Sega could patch in an option to adjust the brightness of the videos...it would make things a heck of a lot easier! DREAMS CAN COME TRUE maybe.

macklelol

I liked all the extra songs. Well, I didn't like Sweet Devil as much as the rest of them.

I tried playing the Vita version earlier today, and boy, I did miss having those extra songs. And my accuracy on the that version went to shit :(

Zenaku

Damn. I was just playing a little Diva F to lessen the wait for MH4 to finish downloading, and found my time at 17 hours, far more than I've played.

I've only just realized that the game doesn't stop the in-game clock, and only loads it from save data the first time you load (so if you idle for half an hour after saving, and then reload the game, that half hour of idle time will still be there).

I absolutely hate inaccurate clocks, so now I have to start again, the damn thing.

Damn. I was just playing a little Diva F to lessen the wait for MH4 to finish downloading, and found my time at 17 hours, far more than I've played.

I've only just realized that the game doesn't stop the in-game clock, and only loads it from save data the first time you load (so if you idle for half an hour after saving, and then reload the game, that half hour of idle time will still be there).

I absolutely hate inaccurate clocks, so now I have to start again, the damn thing.

I don't think I follow. Are you saying it somehow keeps track of time elapsed even if you don't save? Pretty sure that's not possible...

USgamer review

It makes for pretty grim reading. I dare say the reviewer went in with a negative mindset before they even played the game (note how they express their disinterest for the whole Vocaloid concept several times). I'll concede that yes, the DIVA room head rubs thing is a bit silly, but it's so tame and light-hearted, one has to wonder how someone experiences that and comes up with "...I'd like to think Sega isn't designing game modes specifically for degenerates." Talk of 'creep factor', upskirt shots... I don't know the background of the reviewer - in fact, this is their only review on USgamer, so make of that what you will - but it's a sad reflection of the times that a fun, colourful game is dragged through the mud like this. I'm not demanding top marks for the game like an over-entitled fan, but at the very least place it in the context of how unlikely it was to reach Western audiences in the first place, and judge it on its merits instead of decrying it as an over-sexualised eroge effort.

Kumubou

USgamer review

It makes for pretty grim reading. I dare say the reviewer went in with a negative mindset before they even played the game (note how they express their disinterest for the whole Vocaloid concept several times). I'll concede that yes, the DIVA room head rubs thing is a bit silly, but it's so tame and light-hearted, one has to wonder how someone experiences that and comes up with "...I'd like to think Sega isn't designing game modes specifically for degenerates." Talk of 'creep factor', upskirt shots... I don't know the background of the reviewer - in fact, this is their only review on USgamer, so make of that what you will - but it's a sad reflection of the times that a fun, colourful game is dragged through the mud like this. I'm not demanding top marks for the game like an over-entitled fan, but at the very least place it in the context of how unlikely it was to reach Western audiences in the first place, and judge it on its merits instead of decrying it as an over-sexualised eroge effort.
I'm not going to lie -- if I had to review this game, I have no idea where I would really go with it. The only other crowd I can think of that would be interested outside of Vocaloid fans would be music-rhythm game players, and I would say it's a hard sell as they would either be looking for licensed music (so the game's a no-go) or they're playing some ultra-niche imported games, which if it's something like Beatmania or Pop'n are going to have better mechanics.

Honestly, I think the review I would have written would have been similar. Hell, I had a similar reaction on seeing the Meiko module he mentions that gets called out by the ESRB (although I didn't think most of the modules were that bad in that regard). Let's be honest -- the Diva Room stuff is, at best, half-baked. I don't really get the complaint about the upskirt shots, though. if your first thought with a free-roam camera is to try to get under their skirt, that's your problem.

Platinum, yay! ^_^

GPe2XNS.jpg

Zenaku

I don't think I follow. Are you saying it somehow keeps track of time elapsed even if you don't save? Pretty sure that's not possible...

I can assure you it does, at least in the EU version.

If I load my file with 17hrs 12mins, immediately head back to the title screen without saving, and reload 2 minutes later, the timer will read 17hrs 14mins.

Exiting to the title screen and reloading a second time seem to set the timer to what the loaded save file says it should be. Restarting the game completely, starting a new game or loading another save file temporarily before loading also let the timer load properly.

It seems the game doesn't clear certain variables that it should do, and the timer continues counting on the title screen. I don't recall any such problem in the Vita version, but I'd just put the system to sleep anyway...

cjkeats

Finally got a perfect, on Cat Food of course. I'm lucky the contest is still going, I thought the deadline was friday and spent all friday night out bummed because I thought I missed turning my score in.
I'll try and get a few less good notes before I turn it in tomorrow afternoon.

Rhapsody

Banned
Just submitted by (old) Cat Food score. Didn't feel like going for a better score after the 1st day. I'm doing this all for fun anyway.
Oh wow, I was totally not prepared for the jump in difficulty between normal and hard mode.
I think Hard mode is when the game starts to shine, for me at least. It's the mode I have the most fun in.

Extreme's hard, but I wish they did the difficulty a different way.

Busaiku

Man, I don't get all the hate about the Diva Room.
You can't do anything but pat them on the head, and it's adorable.

I don't get what's dirty about that.

cjkeats

I've just gotten the title for playing over 24 hrs. I must say I've gotten more than my moneys worth out of this for sure. I've played this much and am still having a ton of fun with it.
Got all the costumes that I've unlocked for Miku purchased too that's to the fat stacks of DP I got from playing Cat Food over and over with Perfectionist.

There's nothing, but you know how it is, anything from Japan that's a little weird is somehow perverted.

If you listen close you can hear my eyes rolling from all the way over here.

Just submitted by (old) Cat Food score. Didn't feel like going for a better score after the 1st day. I'm doing this all for fun anyway.

I think Hard mode is when the game starts to shine, for me at least. It's the mode I have the most fun in.

Extreme's hard, but I wish they did the difficulty a different way.

It's definitely more that I'm just completely overwhelmed by it. I'm sure with enough and lots of practice I would probably enjoy it but at this point, I'm basically struggling to get Standards on songs on hard. ~_~

Well judging off that usgamer review, it looks like he just decided to go on an anti-prevy crusade against the game. Cause besides the Meiko outfit (which really, I didn't even noticed the belt bra the first time I saw it), it just seems like overreactions to things you can do but aren't a core factor to the game.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's definitely more that I'm just completely overwhelmed by it. I'm sure with enough and lots of practice I would probably enjoy it but at this point, I'm basically struggling to get Standards on songs on hard. ~_~
Have fun on Extreme. I did Cat Food and thought Extreme wasn't too bad. Then I did Secret Police. : /

I don't like replaying those types of songs back to back just because I get tired. lol

Step

Have fun on Extreme. I did Cat Food and thought Extreme wasn't too bad. Then I did Secret Police. : /

I don't like replaying those types of songs back to back just because I get tired. lol

Same happened to me haha, that trolling.

I think the best songs to get used to extreme are Nostalogic, Acute and DYE, Remote Control is great too because of its steady notes and you can get use to incomming fast notes.

I'm still struggling with this notes:

sn3wvEw.png

Aytrial

Same happened to me haha, that trolling.

I think the best songs to get used to extreme are Nostalogic, Acute and DYE, Remote Control is great too because of its steady notes and you can get use to incomming fast notes.

I'm still struggling with this notes:

sn3wvEw.png

Took me sometime to get used to the quarter beat streams. Eventually it'll click, but you'll definitely neat to alternate between the face button and d-pad to nail them properly.

Kazzy

I also finally figured out why this version seems way more difficult than the Vita version. The notes are smaller, in terms of their size compared to the size of the screen. So they can tend to get lost in the background more easily.

I've noticed this too. I really wish there was some kind of filter you could place over the actual videos. I feel like I have to make a conscious effort to track the notes now, whereas I was naturally led along (or at least felt like I was) when playing the Vita version.

Passed Fire Flower on Hard on my first attempt and on a whim tried it on Extreme and somehow managed to passed that!

Huge confidence boost in this game. Or I'm somehow really good with Fire Flower.

Rhapsody

Banned
Got my first Drop Out. World's End Dance Hall on Extreme. It's so hard to know when to quit mashing on the dpad and buttons for those really fast notes.

macklelol

Got my first Drop Out. World's End Dance Hall on Extreme. It's so hard to know when to quit mashing on the dpad and buttons for those really fast notes.

You should take some time to listen to the song by itself, the chart for World's End Dance Hall extreme is pretty darn close to the lyrics, when it comes to those 16th notes. Maybe even tap along with the song during those hard parts to try and get the feel of when to start/stop those 16th notes.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Yeah, the gaps can be quite weird when you're trying to maintain rhythm. Just gotta play the rhythm out in your head (which can be said for most of these songs).

Sometimes, when I have a hard time with a song, I will watch a playthrough on youtube, and then I can understand the rhythm.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, I finally got it after the third try. Just one of those instances where I forget the rhythm when I see so many notes.

Stopped at the nyanyanya song for the night. Song's not too hard, but I keep screwing that last part before the big star along with that one technical zone. I'm just shy of getting a Standard.

Astarte

Finally got my first perfect on...Hard Cat Food...
Well I kinda hoped that I would get it on Extreme World's End but whatever works!

yyr

Anywhere I can find this game reasonably priced? Just played the demo and I'm instantly sold.

"Reasonably priced" is a matter of opinion. MSRP is $50 in the US, but considering the amount of time that some of us are playing it, I think that's reasonable already. I would have paid $60. (I paid more for the import version.)

cjkeats

Trying to nail down a higher score than last night but can barely get another perfect. Just did it and didn't beat my score. I've switched over to my monitor to and re-calibrated using Rock Band Blitz.

"Safe" is going to be a trigger for the rest of my life.

And on the subject of being "reasonably priced", I was tweeting last night about how I haven't been more satisfied with a purchase in years. I'm getting more value out of this than almost every $60 I've bought recently. I've been playing almost everyday since release with over 24 hours clocked and I'm still having fun.
It's a very good buy, especially if you loved the demo.

Bombless

Anywhere I can find this game reasonably priced? Just played the demo and I'm instantly sold.

Well, as a resident of the EU I had the choice between 43€ disk version from VG+ (Canada) and the 45€ digital version off the EU PSN....

Clearly the VG+ price was more than reasonable for me.

Aytrial

I've decided to give Edit Mode a shot and I'm really impressed with how extensive the provided tools are. Never made a custom track in any rhythm game before, so my attempt may end up in a massive failure, but I'm having a lot of fun right now. It's also helpful that I've done karaoke timing for fansubbing before, so I do have a sense of timing and won't be driven insane by listening to portions of the song over and over again to nail it.

For those curious, I'm making a track for this song. I know it ain't a Vocaloid song, but it's by nao! Everyone loves nao, right?

Astarte

I have no idea how to access this edit mode song I just downloaded
Like, do I have to make a folder on my flash drive?

Step

To make things easier yeah, Create a Folder named PS3 then another one called SAVEDATA inside and then put there the .rar and extract it or just copy the song data folder in there.

On the PS3 go to Game-Saved Data Utility-usb drive and just copy the file.

EDIT: Huh this is if you downloaded it from your PC

Aytrial

When you're selecting a mode, instead of selecting Rhythm Game you select Edit Play.

...Unless you mean you downloaded it directly off the net. In which case I can't help you.

Astarte

To make things easier yeah, Create a Folder named PS3 then another one called SAVEDATA inside and then put there the .rar and extract it or just copy the song data folder in there.

On the PS3 go to Game-Saved Data Utility-usb drive and just copy the file.

EDIT: Huh this is if you downloaded it from your PC

Yeah, downloaded it from my PC. Time to try it out

When you're selecting a mode, instead of selecting Rhythm Game you select Edit Play.

...Unless you mean you downloaded it directly off the net. In which case I can't help you.

I don't think I'm quite that dumb :y
But thanks for the advice

yyr

I just improved my Cat Food challenge score by about 500 points...submitted. About ten minutes to go, I think...last chance!!

Extra credit for anyone who wants to take a stab: try to beat this. Just felt like playing it:

negaposi.png

That's a wrap! Going to do some final validation on the scores before I announce a winner and distribute the prizes. Check back in a bit~

H5XHWut.png

The Results

16 people participated in the challenge and all the scores were really close!

The top three scorers of this challenge were:

1. macklelol, with 491620
  2. yyr, with 491550
  3. Kumubou, with 490720

macklelol was not participating in the prize pool and yyr elected a partial prize, so the prize is split between yyr and Kumubou. Check your PMs in a minute!

Congratulations!

Top Bottom