• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

Just finished Ep6, this was a slow one but still OK. I feel the pacing of this show is all over the place.

Also, the intro to this one was pretty bad. No way Ellie only mentions the way she tried to use her blood to save the kid for the first time three months later, like they haven’t talked about that at all until now? Some very strange writing there.
And Joel is still thinking of Henry and the kid after 3 months? Who is this guy? Certainly not Joel.

Lasha

If "individual thought" is unsubstantiated and weird claims like "uneven acting" when the performances are absolutely top-notch and the show "not finding its identity," when it has become one of the biggest shows in recent years ... yes, please, it's best not to have those stupid thoughts.

If you need to make appeals to popularity then make veiled insults without the decency to directly respond to the person you called out then it's probably best you log out and ensconce yourself in pre-approved media so you don't risk your fragile personality.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The 2nd game obviously didn’t sell as well as other Sony first party games - and it was supposed to become Sony’s best selling first party game. And it didn’t review well with fans either.

The TV show is doing well but only because people are glazing over so many of the flaws. It happens sometimes.
Who said it was supposed to be their best-selling first-party game?

The show is doing well because people like it.

You don't even make any sense. Just give up lol

Shakka43

If you need to make appeals to popularity then make veiled insults without the decency to directly respond to the person you called out then it's probably best you log out and ensconce yourself in pre-approved media so you don't risk your fragile personality.
A lot of guys here are acting pathetically rude toward those of us who are not enjoying the show as much as them, it's not that deep.

potentially, this is the actor playing dina

paolina van kleef

she's only credited as "staring girl" in the last episode but it could be her

eZQjtf9.jpg
Damn HBO aint playing. They hooking Ellie up, lol. Here is Storm Reid, the actress playing Riley. We should see her soon.

5fe03b60-4667-11ed-86f7-ef1de110cd5e

Madflavor

I'm enjoying the show a lot, and I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade if they're emotions are riding high. Mine are too. But I feel like I can be secure enough in my love for the show to admit that there are some things the game executed better. That is to say my biggest complaint is that the show has focused so much on side characters (Bill, Frank, Kathleen, Henry, Sam) that it took away time from Joel and Ellie. If you think about it, Joel and Ellie really didn't start traveling together, just the two of them, until Episode 3, and the majority of that episode was dedicated to Bill and Frank. So before Episode 6 we really only had two and half episodes with them together. Now Episode 6 comes along and by this point we see Joel's attachment to her, and we get that confrontation scene in the bedroom.

I understand the format of the video game allows for more time for these two characters to be together, and by default you get more time with them in the game. I know that. But the showrunners made the creative decision to focus a lot more on the side characters than the game did, and while it has given us some good storytelling, I think it sacrificed some of the core of what this story is about, which is Joel and Ellie. When Ellie confronted Joel in the game, I was completely sold on his attachment to her. But in the show, from our point of view, these characters really haven't had that much screen time together. So while the acting from both Pedro and Bella was fantastic, I'd be lying if I said I completely buy into this guy's attachment to her, like he did in the game.

Who said it was supposed to be their best-selling first-party game?

The show is doing well because people like it.

You don't even make any sense. Just give up lol
The first game sold 17M across PS3 and PS4. You’d think the second one would do 20M easy - like GoW did. It is common sense that Part 2 underperformed.

I’m not sure what you’re even arguing.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The first game sold 17M across PS3 and PS4. You’d think the second one would do 20M easy - like GoW did. It is common sense that Part 2 underperformed.

I’m not sure what you’re even arguing.
The first game was bundled for 6 years.

It only took Last of Us Part II less than 3 weeks to make more revenue in the US than the remaster version, which sold over 12 million units.

NPD doesn't count bundles.

How did a game that sold 13 million copies (most in the US) get beat by TLOU 2 in revenue in less than 2 weeks?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So your excuse for skipping action scenes is that it is too expensive?

You don't know how expensive movies and TV series are to make.

- Actors get paid per hour
- Locations can cost anywhere from $100 - $50k an hour to film.

If they wanted to do the implement shot just like the video game, then that would very expensive.

- You need prop designers
- Stunt men
- You need the entire university/college scene to be rigged to have Joel's stuntman impaled with a rod.
- The entire stunt crew needs to be paid.

If they wanted to have more infected, then
- You need to have a prosthetic artist for multiple actors.
- The crew needs to be paid.
- The entire crew needs to be fed

Everything I just listed is just part of the things that they would need to include in order to add more action scenes. This will add millions more to a budget.

However, who was the little kid that Ellie shot? I got confused on that part. Wasn't her first kill the guy that assaults Joel during the Henry Arc?

Also, was it just me or the girl watching Ellie and Joel eating felt like Dina?

Yes, that was her first kill and the "kid" Joel is talking about.

I also think that was meant to be Dina.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I could have honestly done without all the winking nods to season 2. Keep that shit for when it's relevant, not just as weird little easter eggs for the few people who give a shit about that kind of stuff. The introduction of Shimmer was groan inducing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lack of action scenes isn't the issue with the show. I can even get passed the fact that Joel isn't even a quarter of the killer her was in the game. It's the lack of screen time together Joel and Ellie have.
I'm enjoying the show a lot, and I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade if they're emotions are riding high. Mine are too. But I feel like I can be secure enough in my love for the show to admit that there are some things the game executed better. That is to say my biggest complaint is that the show has focused so much on side characters (Bill, Frank, Kathleen, Henry, Sam) that it took away time from Joel and Ellie. If you think about it, Joel and Ellie really didn't start traveling together, just the two of them, until Episode 3, and the majority of that episode was dedicated to Bill and Frank. So before Episode 6 we really only had two and half episodes with them together. Now Episode 6 comes along and by this point we see Joel's attachment to her, and we get that confrontation scene in the bedroom.

I understand the format of the video game allows for more time for these two characters to be together, and by default you get more time with them in the game. I know that. But the showrunners made the creative decision to focus a lot more on the side characters than the game did, and while it has given us some good storytelling, I think it sacrificed some of the core of what this story is about, which is Joel and Ellie. When Ellie confronted Joel in the game, I was completely sold on his attachment to her. But in the show, from our point of view, these characters really haven't had that much screen time together. So while the acting from both Pedro and Bella was fantastic, I'd be lying if I said I completely buy into this guy's attachment to her, like he did in the game.
This. They have focused on everyone but Joel and Ellie since the very first episode.

Lets not forget that they wasted 30 fucking minutes on Sarah. A girl who we all knew was going to die in the first 10 minutes. Then they combined episodes 1 and 2 into one episode, and had Ellie spend the majority of it with Marlene and her crew. Why?

Episode 2 was mostly Tess and Ellie interacting which was in line with the game but again, we know she dies so it was a waste of precious screen time, but Episode 3 is when Joel and Ellie shouldve been put front and center, but nope that episode was about Bill and his boyfriend. Who both die by the end of the episode. Then Kansas Karen in Episode 4 takes up a huge chunk of the screentime. Sam and Henry in episode 5. All of them die by the end of the episode.

So what they have done is focus on characters who dont factor into the story at the expense of Ellie and Joel. TBH, this was the first episode where I felt like they were finally connecting and getting close to where they were in the game. But they dont get there by the ranch and it just fell flat when it shouldve been this amazing emotional moment.

My brother was complaining about this last week. Everyone fucking dies in an episode or 2 so its hard to stay invested. I tried to explain to him why it worked in the game but honestly couldnt come up with a good reason. Probably because aside from Tess, Sam and Henry are the first people to die. Bill doesnt. There is no Karen, and Sam and Henry spend A LOT of time with these two going through several setpieces, not just one sniper fight. It felt like we had spent a few hours with them.

I really liked Pedro and Bella's interactions in this episode but I think the ranch scene came an episode too early.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This. They have focused on everyone but Joel and Ellie since the very first episode.

Lets not forget that they wasted 30 fucking minutes on Sarah. A girl who we all knew was going to die in the first 10 minutes. Then they combined episodes 1 and 2 into one episode, and had Ellie spend the majority of it with Marlene and her crew. Why?

Episode 2 was mostly Tess and Ellie interacting which was in line with the game but again, we know she dies so it was a waste of precious screen time, but Episode 3 is when Joel and Ellie shouldve been put front and center, but nope that episode was about Bill and his boyfriend. Who both die by the end of the episode. Then Kansas Karen in Episode 4 takes up a huge chunk of the screentime. Sam and Henry in episode 5. All of them die by the end of the episode.

So what they have done is focus on characters who dont factor into the story at the expense of Ellie and Joel. TBH, this was the first episode where I felt like they were finally connecting and getting close to where they were in the game. But they dont get there by the ranch and it just fell flat when it shouldve been this amazing emotional moment.

My brother was complaining about this last week. Everyone fucking dies in an episode or 2 so its hard to stay invested. I tried to explain to him why it worked in the game but honestly couldnt come up with a good reason. Probably because aside from Tess, Sam and Henry are the first people to die. Bill doesnt. There is no Karen, and Sam and Henry spend A LOT of time with these two going through several setpieces, not just one sniper fight. It felt like we had spent a few hours with them.

I really liked Pedro and Bella's interactions in this episode but I think the ranch scene came an episode too early.

I swear you give some of the worst takes. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Just watched episode 6. Definitely the best episode of the season so far, the turning point, Ellie and Joel bond achieved, next moment will be the 'my baby girl' and I'll fucking cry all over again.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Great episode again this week.

The small changes they’ve made to adapt the show for a TV audience are a tad weak (making Joel a crying pussy last night) but you can understand why they’ve had to appeal to the ‘modern audience’ who don’t like strong men. Well, you can understand it when you realise Cuckmann was involved. Also, the continued retcon that ‘if Marlene is involved the Fireflies will 100% be able to get the cure from you’ - just no. It was ambiguous in the original game as to whether the Fireflies could actually do this or were just some ragtag organisation, that’s why Joel killing them all wasn’t a black and white ‘bad deed’. I’m not sure why Neil continues to want to remove this uncertainty after the fact. Just leave it as is.

The decision to stab rather than fall last night was a good one.

Ellie not running away I’m conflicted on, maybe they were trying to avoid a cliche shoot out but that whole sequence in the game (finding her, Joel realising he can’t give her up and them setting off together) is all pretty powerful IMO.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
People really do seem to think that Joeal is this unfeeling Terminator like killing machine. He was never that and this show displays that.
Joel was indeed a killing machine in the game. I have no idea where this revisionist history is coming from. Go check out the cutscenes and you will see him torture Robert in one of the very first scenes. Watches Tess with no emotion as she executes him. His brutal kills ingame were a huge part of why the original became such a sensation at E3 2012. he was shooting people in cold blood. he bullies Tommy. Forces Bill to give him car parts. Grabs his bags the moment he sees Tess' banged up face. He attacks Henry as soon as he wakes up after jumping off the bridge in Pittsburgh to get back at him for leaving them.

The university section has him hurt bad and yet he crawls through an entire floor while Ellie provides covering fire. One of the most memorable setpieces in the game. The dude was terminator. Just like Abby in TLOU2.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Joel was indeed a killing machine in the game. I have no idea where this revisionist history is coming from. Go check out the cutscenes and you will see him torture Robert in one of the very first scenes. Watches Tess with no emotion as she executes him. His brutal kills ingame were a huge part of why the original became such a sensation at E3 2012. he was shooting people in cold blood. he bullies Tommy. Forces Bill to give him car parts. Grabs his bags the moment he sees Tess' banged up face. He attacks Henry as soon as he wakes up after jumping off the bridge in Pittsburgh to get back at him for leaving them.

The university section has him hurt bad and yet he crawls through an entire floor while Ellie provides covering fire. One of the most memorable setpieces in the game. The dude was terminator. Just like Abby in TLOU2.

- Joel doesn't torture Robert. He pinned him to the ground momentarily while Tess questioned him. After breaking his arm and then he released him.

- Joel doesn't force Bill to give him car parts. Joel's entire demeanor with Bill was actually calm because he knew Bill was insane and warned Ellie about this right before meeting Bill. Joel only lashed out at Bill when he brought up Tess for the second time.

- Joel didn't grab his bags the moment he saw Tess. He question where Tess was and he was upset that they didn't do the drop together.

- Joel attacks henry because he left them to die. This is not a killer reaction. If Joel would've killing Machine, then he would've killed Henry on sight.

The only "killer" we saw in Joel was trying to interrogate David's men and in the end with Marlene.

- It was in the show where Joel actually jumped up when he saw the bruises on Tess' face.

- Joel beat up a FEDRA guard, something that didn't happen in the game.

- Joel stabbed the boy in the chest as he begged for his life.

The only time Joel showed weakness in the show was in episode 6.

People are wondering why so many action scenes are cut and it's not a 1 for 1 retelling of the story. lol

People don't know how expensive TV shows are to make and they don't have an unlimited budget.

I don't think they doesn't have enough budget for action scene. $100 M is more than enough.

And my complain is how bad the action scene with human enemy are. There are not even a good action scene in 6 episodes, they only have 3 more episodes and 2 of those are Human enemy only.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't think they doesn't have enough budget for action scene. $100 M is more than enough.

And my complain is how bad the action scene with human enemy are. There is not a good action scene in 6 episodes, they only have 3 more episodes and 2 of those are Human enemy only.

The action scenes I'm referring to are from the game.

- Fight against all of the infected in Bill's town.
- The shootout scenes with Tommy and Joel
- Joel getting impaled and then shooting his way out of the college.

I know they could've done a bit more at the end of the episode, but I can also understand why they take shortcuts in most cases.

I tried to do research on how to get a short film made and it's amazing how things add up.

Roni

Gold Member
Episode 6 is great, I've been loving the series. But the show is starting to feel a bit on the cheap side... The horse in the final scene felt like either a cutout or a cheap 3D model. I could swear it didn't move at all... And the action scenes are several levels under Chris Nolan stuff, who isn't known for great action. This is really heavy on the drama, which I get, it's a drama show first... Nevertheless, I wish they would've sunk a few more miliions into this and hired a second unit director to handle actions/horror scenes and sprinkle them throughout the episodes a bit more. Seeing them evading infected in the woods, a few more shots per action scene. They had a good thing going with the horror in the first episode and I was hoping they kept it going throughout the series, but without action (either fights, chases or stealth sequeces) they just can't do it.

Last edited:

yosean

Neo Member
There's still a lot of story to get through in 3 remaining episodes...

In agreement with others, whilst in the game we might be 8 hours into the story at this point. We have had 6 hours of TV but the difference is we played all those 8 hours as Joel with Ellie. Here we have had entire episodes barely featuring either and not sharing enough empty time together.

So far I've found the pacing quite off, maybe thats knowing that they intend to wrap up game 1 this series, maybe not knowing that would have helped.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Game Torture Scene doesn't happen until David shows up, if it's in the show it wouldn't happen until Episode 8.

Doesn't happen until Part II. By this point Ellie was pissed at Joel for trying to ditch her with Tommey.
Not sure if the same thing works now. They could have waited for the torture scene itself, not to show a glimpse before

And Ellie runs in Part I. That's for sure

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Brilliant episode again.

Joel being a little too emotional but I think they are setting up some empathy and how he can mess up by allowing himself to fall into the trap with Abby.

Really liked this episode but I don't get why they are trying to hammer home that the cure is a definite if Marlene thinks it is. That was never in the game.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Did they made joel a pussy with man-periods?

I dont have issues with protagonists showing emotion, but him crying, pleading and begging Tommy to take Ellie is in stark contrast to how he does it in the game. That's not the Joel Neil wrote originally, and I have no idea why we needed to retcon that.
HBO's Joel is portraying how the years have caught up to him physically and emotionally. We really won't know why the changes to his character were made until we see how it fits in with how they portray what happens to him in Season 2. Again, he's not the same character as the game and once you separate the two, HBO Joel is a pretty good character.

HBO Joel has been stoic as a stone in the show so far, but the cracks have been there. He finally breaks down in front of his brother and lashes out at Ellie. It's relatable and believable - then he shows up at the stables the next day and it's clear his character has gone through a transformation. It's been a perfectly decent character arc so far.

Obviously, I prefer how it's handled in the game - the show is clumsier and more on the nose. Also, we needed another episode with Joel and Ellie before this one in my opinion. This is another reason why Episode 3 was such a missed opportunity for me. Bill's town in the game did a lot for Joel and Ellie's relationship and HBO's Episode 3 just........exists.

Neff

No way Ellie only mentions the way she tried to use her blood to save the kid for the first time three months later, like they haven’t talked about that at all until now?
And Joel is still thinking of Henry and the kid after 3 months? Who is this guy? Certainly not Joel.

Did you play The Last of Us?

Would definitely cuddle up to in a comfy weed basement during a blizzard if I was an angry lesbian.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Did you play The Last of Us?
I did, but it was back on PS3 so I can’t say I remember a lot of details.

But if you mean that it should stay the same just because the game does it I disagree. It comes off as bad writing to me, maybe even worse now knowing they had an opportunity to fix it here.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

But if you mean that it should stay the same just because the game does it I disagree. It comes off as bad writing to me, maybe even worse now knowing they had an opportunity to fix it here.
Ellie not telling Joel and Henry that Sam was infected was a huge mistake. It's very reasonable that she would wait until the right time to tell Joel. It also wouldn't be reasonable for Ellie to tell Joel after his death because they were still trying to get over Herny and Sam's death.

Robb

Gold Member
It's very reasonable that she would wait until the right time to tell Joel. It also wouldn't be reasonable for Ellie to tell Joel after his death because they were still trying to get over Herny and Sam's death.
I don’t disagree with those points, but that time would’ve happened within three months. To me this time didn’t come off as “the right time”, it was just another bonfire talk, of which they’ve had 93(!) of before this one since the event. Like, come on.

I agree they made Joel softer than the game . But maybe for bigger reason.
They make him scare of losing Ellie, make him think he is a failure, make him more vulrable than the game, he has panic attack, can't move when Ellie in danger.. is setting up for the David episode and the last episode. When he finally overcome the fear and fight back for Ellie.
That idea can't work in game and now they can translate that in the show.

I don’t disagree with those points, but that time would’ve happened within three months. To me this time didn’t come off as “the right time”, it was just another bonfire talk, of which they’ve had 93(!) of before this one since the event. Like, come on.

Joel doesn't even want to talk about Tess, Bill, Frank, Sarah. He just doesn't open up with Ellie. Maybe after 3 months together she feel they finally have much better relationship?
This conversation just served that Ellie doesn't feel she can cure people and start questioning herself. And maybe by the end she really want to be the cure of mankind?
Unlike the game we don't even know does she really want to sacrifice herself for the world? Because Marlene and Joel don't even ask her about it. That's biggest plot hole of part 1 for me.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There's no timetable for when someone feels comfortable revealing the truth to someone.

This was also the first time Ellie asked Joel if the vaccine would work (after a long pause), and this led to Ellie revealing the truth about what happened to Henry.

Shakka43

You are not misremembering anything. Ellie didn't put blood on Sam because in the game she didn't know he got infected. The time they mention Henry and Sam months after their death was because when passing through a grave there was a toy by the cross and it reminded Ellie of Sam since she gave him a toy the night before he died.
The game was superb in they way it presented the story and kept details on Ellie and Joel's growing bond, I can't say the same about the show, Joel's is a mess and his relationship with Ellie has been pretty lackluster to say the least.

tmlDan

I dont have issues with protagonists showing emotion, but him crying, pleading and begging Tommy to take Ellie is in stark contrast to how he does it in the game. That's not the Joel Neil wrote originally, and I have no idea why we needed to retcon that.
You're right, its much better in the show.

Most people are claiming he deserves an Emmy for it, not sure why you're so critical.

Robb

Gold Member
There's no timetable for when someone feels comfortable revealing the truth to someone.

This was also the first time Ellie asked Joel if the vaccine would work (after a long pause), and this led to Ellie revealing the truth about what happened to Henry.
I don’t really buy that either, within 3 months of time alone they would’ve talked about the vaccine as well. Probably even multiple times.

We obviously have different opinions about that though. To me it all felt very strange and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Top Bottom