• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

John Bilbo

So the series continues to diverge even more. There are also a lot of possible retcons happening still, but gotta wait and see how they will stick the landing.

Why would Joel pull out the piece of baseball bat stuck in him to cause himself bleed to a possible death? I'm confident he would know better than that.

The communism bit was weird and Tommy not knowing his wife to be a communist.

It is true there is a lot less Joel & Ellie action in this show than in the game. The show kinda feels like supplementary material for the fans of the games with all the expansions of the side characters and world building.

Also many nods to the games in this sixth episode with them giraffes and locations and houses.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I think the show is OK, kinda hate it when it's actually about infected attacks as it kinda sucks, but episode 3 had me bawling. It's so good, it should have been made into a The Last of Us movie spanning the 2 gut wrenching hours it supposedly was meant to be originally.
The communism bit was weird and Tommy not knowing his wife to be a communist.
It's just a small jab, that he didn't realize or ever consider and now want to accept that they don't live by what he used to value and that they're basically using a social approach he was likely vehemently against previously based on projected ideas of what it can offer 🤷‍♂️

I also didn't like that giant infected thingadude in that one scene. Like, how does something like that even get created in the first place by what the show so far has established as how infection even works, develops, or whatever? Surely fungi didn't randomly find a giant...

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Finally catching up - I wasn't able to finish ep6 on Sunday, something came up.

I am impressed with Ramsay's accent. Most British actresses in my experience have pretty terrible fake American accents. Many end up not sounding like any actual regional accent, so it feels ultra fake the entire time, and their British-ness comes out whenever they strain their voice. Emma Watson may have to worst I've heard - as soon as she starts speaking in a movie or show in which she is supposed to be American she sounds unconvincing to me.

But Ramsay really sounds like plenty of girls I knew growing up.

Edit: Pascal does something I haven't seen many actors pick up on - if one is from the south but moves outside of the area, to lets say yankee areas, their southern accent tends to diminish when they're in public. But when they run into someone else from the south, their accent comes out more when they're speaking to a fellow southerner. I've seen it happen lots, and Pascal's Joel really starts to sound like himself more when he is talking to Tommy after all these years.

Last edited:
The show seems to be going for "realism" when it comes to kill count. If nothing else, I think it will serve as a great benchmark to finally solve the video game "ludonarrative dissonance" murder ratio.

By episode 7, Joel has killed let's say 5 people vs 100 in the game by that point. The LDMR would be 20:1

I don’t disagree with those points, but that time would’ve happened within three months. To me this time didn’t come off as “the right time”, it was just another bonfire talk, of which they’ve had 93(!) of before this one since the event. Like, come on.
I think you're on your own on this one. Kids keep secrets. Especially when they fear they did something wrong.

ZoyosJD

I just rewatched episode 6. Its so good. Only thing I would add is a bit more
action near the end. I wish Joel had fought more guys and it happened inside the building like in the game. I liked how Joel got injured but it felt rushed.

They are clearly trying to balance matching the original story with the practical safety of their actors. Seeing Joel get hauled upside down by Bill's fridge trap, the glass death after the truck crash, drowning scene, the fall on rebar all clearly had to be changed or removed altogether for practical safety concerns. I think there are also benefits in making the death count believable as well.

Episode 6 was really well done, but I still think the original game had better cutscene performances, particularly the main characters, not to say any are poorly done.

Dorohedoro

HBO and Cuckmann had Joel cry in the show, made him look soft. /s

Thought it was interesting showing a more personal, intimate side of Joel. I also really liked Bella's version of the ranch scene. Not sure why they cut the walking on mighty thin ice line but whatever. The whole university segment just zoomed past although it did look great just like every other set in this show, Jackson looked awesome too. What kind of brings the episode down for me a bit is how short the "fight" with the hunters was. They seem to be shying away from showing more human on human violence in general. Would it have hurt to see Joel kill like 2-3 dudes or so before they escape. Mf just carries his revolver around for show. Well, there are two episodes left (winter and the hospital) to give us more of the violence that is largely absent from the games so far. Maybe they're holding back for some "Oh shit" moments coming up. Idk if it's a question of not having a bigger budget or what, I suppose it could also be a an artistic choice they decided on to be more "realistic".

Robb

Gold Member
I think you're on your own on this one. Kids keep secrets. Especially when they fear they did something wrong.
I’ve already talked to multiple people who’ve said the same, so I wouldn’t say that. Maybe it depends on if you’ve played the game recently or not (or at all). Who knows.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It is an excuse when the budget is 3 times that of a walking dead episode.
Maybe you should look into film budgeting.

The budget is 100 million for Season 1.

It's estimated that Pedro will make 600k per episode. You can estimate that Bella Ramsey will make probably half of that.

That's about 8 million for Pedro and Bella Ramsey alone.

Other actors that will be paid
- Nick Offerman - 1 episode
- Anna Trov - 2 episodes
- Gabriel Luna - 2 episodes
- Storm Reid - 1 episode

This is a rough estimate and that's 10-12 million off the 100 million budget just for 6 actors.

We still haven't mentioned, Tory Baker, Ashley Johnson, Murray Bartlett, Marle Dandrige, Rutina Wesley, Melanie Lynskey, Lamar Johnson, Jeffery Piece, Graham Greene, and others

Screenwriters?

Craig Mazin gets paid per script (9)

Producers, Directors?

7 directors (including Craig and Neil) get paid. Producers need to get paid.

Everything was shot in Canada. All the producers, actors, set designers, etc. ALL must be flown out to Canada and housed.

Locations

They're not allowed to film any location without paying UNLESS they're filming in one of their own studios (HBO, Sony etc)

Renting a location typically cost per hour. These are very expensive, especially when it's a hotel, courthouse, public street, etc.

These can easily exceed 30 million and are A LOT of things that go into producing a series. VFX artist, set designers, props (cars, guns, etc) and producing crew.

Why do action scenes cost a lot?

A simple shootout scene is easy.

But if you need a scene that needs a lot of directing, then you need to pay 1) extra time for the director 2) a person to choreograph a scene 3) some to rid the set (explosions, gunshot etc.) 4) extra time for renting the location.

Actors get paid for rehearsals and this is a requirement for filming a complex action scene. So if they were to capture Bill's scene 1 for 1 then that would require A LOT of money.

Again, I'm not talking about simple shootouts or fight scenes, I'm talking about big action sequences that require rehearsals.

100 million may seem like a lot to do a lot of things, but it's not.

There's a reason why TV shows like the Mandalorian are using large LED screens and one of the reasons why it's to save on location costs.

Elog

This series is so good. I like how things start to diverge to more seamlessly move the story from the original game into the sequel (and hence a Season 2). The sequence of events - the introduction of Jackson - makes more sense now. They are strengthening the development of Ellie from slightly lost teen to self sufficient and very hard woman, as well as making Joel more vulnerable to strengthen the whole revenge arc of the main plot.

Last edited:

Stooky

The 2nd game obviously didn’t sell as well as other Sony first party games - and it was supposed to become Sony’s best selling first party game. And it didn’t review well with fans either.

The TV show is doing well but only because people are glazing over so many of the flaws. It happens sometimes.
I love theses narratives people make up.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
MV5BNDU0MjY0NmEtNzc3NS00NjYzLWFkMzEtN2Q2Y2Q2ZTQ5OGIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDg3MTU0MTY@._V1_.jpg

Dina is gonna be some serious fucking eye candy

Last edited:

kyliethicc

engstra

While good, Ep6 definitely ground the show to a halt following the banger Ep5 was. Just felt like it dragged at certain points in Jackson. Think the Left Behind episode next week will be really good based on how well put-together Ep 3 was.

IMO people thinking Joel is weaker in the show are missing the point. Obviously Joel cared for Tess but the last person he was really scared of losing and caring for was Sarah. He was an emotionless killer and would do shady things like mentionned in the show and here he is now, having panic attacks and nightmares about losing something... that's because he's now actually caring about someone as much as he did for Sarah and it's Ellie. That's the irony of love, the more you care and love someone, the more fear you feel. Bill said this to Frank and the show made the obvious connection of Bill and Joel (both characters approach love as protectors)

In the show, Joel went from a killing machine to being weak because of Ellie and we all know he will get back to the point of being a killing machine but for the person he cares and love. I think this is way better illustrated in the show.

I closely relate to characters like Joel and Rick from walking dead as I approach love the same way. I'd kill anyone to protect a loved one, it's within us, there's nothing we can do about it even though we know it's wrong. It's both a blessing and a curse, and really scary

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Something that was brought up in Angry Joe's discussion by Alex, which I thought was a fair concern for the finale(finale spoiler).

With Joel already struggling with a 14 year old and then getting stabbed by a raider, the show clearly showing indicators that he's a little washed up physically and him stating that himself to Tommy... will the audience buy it when he goes all Rambo in the hospital in the finale? If he can't take on a 14 year old and some random raider without having issues, how's he going to take on armed Firefly guards? I don't think it would be completely "OMG this is so stupid!" You could just say he was super motivated, focused, and running on adrenaline.

I think having better cinematography would make this $100M show feel like $200M. Except for a rare few shots, everything is filmed so flat and unartistically. It's filmed in a basic "here is thing" way. No style.

Anybody disagree?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm dreading season 2. Not even for me, for my friends who haven't played the game but are loving this series. I remember with Game of Thrones when some of my friends were watching it for the first time and I was telling them it ends really bad and they couldn't fathom at the time just how bad it would get because when they were watching it, it was so good. And to see their utter disappointment in the ending disappointed me all over again. To see someone else experience this amazing thing ruined.

I don't think TLOU 2 is on that level, but to me it's close. And I actually think it will be magnified as a TV show, because there isn't the gameplay to make up for it. I'm dreading my friends watching season 2 and experiencing that disappointment for the first time.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm dreading season 2. Not even for me, for my friends who haven't played the game but are loving this series. I remember with Game of Thrones when some of my friends were watching it for the first time and I was telling them it ends really bad and they couldn't fathom at the time just how bad it would get because when they were watching it, it was so good. And to see their utter disappointment in the ending disappointed me all over again. To see someone else experience this amazing thing ruined.

I don't think TLOU 2 is on that level, but to me it's close. And I actually think it will be magnified as a TV show, because there isn't the gameplay to make up for it. I'm dreading my friends watching season 2 and experiencing that disappointment for the first time.

I think it should be fine considering that Part II isn't remotely close to bad and not anything similar to what was rushed out of the door with GoT.

ZehDon

I doubt Part 2’s plot is adapted without major structural changes, which will let the plot beats actually land. The game suffered from a nihilism it abandons at the last minute. The TV show has already jettisoned some of those aspects that lingered in the original (Bill and Frank) so it stands to reason Season 2 will take that approach. I think the TV will easily eclipse the messy and convoluted game.

Youre letting this affect you way too much. Move on and do something more useful with your time.

I'm just trying to understand the logic.

White character being portrayed by black person? No problem.
Black character being portrayed by a white person? Problem.

It just seems like it was forced and it comes across as pandering.

For someone who played the game, it's distracting and I'm surprised no one else is bothered by it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom