• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Episode 6 was good. I thought finally getting to Tommy was pretty good and they didn't linger. Next week looks like Joel has to heal so small adventure for Ellie.

Decent enough episode, but at the start there I was kinda confused with the setting, since winter doesn't happen in the game until after they escape the university; was kinda concerned they just skipped over the most awesome section.
Also the way Joel got injured was really lame compared to the game, just some random hobo stab instead of that crazy struggle and escape...

I really, really hope they don't fuck up the "winter chapter", always thought the game was kinda alright, but I really liked that specific chapter, everything about it was dope as hell and I hope the show does it justice.

I've been waiting to form an opinion on this version of Ellie but after this episode I definitely think the game versions of Joel and Ellie are better than the HBO Show. They aren't doing a bad job but it's just not hitting the same.
Yep. It's best to just separate the two in your mind at this point. They are different characters, and it's ok. The disconnect is furthered because for the most part, the show has been pretty faithful to the game. To have so much of the show be the same, yet the main characters be different was keeping me from getting invested but now I've kind of accepted it.

I like the game version of Joel and Ellie in TLOU1 better. However, the changes to their characterizations in the show could open up potential for Season 2. TLOU2's story fell completely flat for me, so if they are setting up for slight story changes coming in Season 2, I'm interested to see what they might do. I'm not talking about drastic changes, just enough to make TLOU2's mess of a plot make sense.

I've been waiting to form an opinion on this version of Ellie but after this episode I definitely think the game versions of Joel and Ellie are better than the HBO Show. They aren't doing a bad job but it's just not hitting the same.

My favorite line :" Ellie you are treading on some mighty thin ice " didn't make it to the show :goog_crying:
I really like the new version of Joel and Tommy conversation though.

My major complaint of the show is how bad action scenes with human encounters are. Clearly they need to hire someone else to direct the action scenes in part 2.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Decent enough episode, but at the start there I was kinda confused with the setting, since winter doesn't happen in the game until after they escape the university; was kinda concerned they just skipped over the most awesome section.
Also the way Joel got injured was really lame compared to the game, just some random hobo stab instead of that crazy struggle and escape...

I really, really hope they don't fuck up the "winter chapter", always thought the game was kinda alright, but I really liked that specific chapter, everything about it was dope as hell and I hope the show does it justice.

Falling off of a second story balcony and being punctured by a piece of rebar through your entire body would be really unrealistic to recover from, particularly without proper medical facilities. It works in the game because you can suspend disbelief a bit more, but a simple stab wound makes much more sense for the show.

Last edited:
Falling off of a second story balcony and being punctured by a piece of rebar through your entire body would be really unrealistic to recover from, particularly without proper medical facilities. It works in the game because you can suspend disbelief a bit more, but a simple stab wound makes much more sense for the show.
who cares, they could've still just have it be a stab, but still include the struggle inside; this was just lame and boring.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Worse in every way. I was really looking forward to this scene and it just doesnt work here because the events that follow it dont really add up. in the game, she gets mad and escapes on horseback after Joel bullies his brother into taking her off his hands. He then has to kill a bunch of people to rescue her. He's pissed, annoyed and is done with her, and she is pissed that he so coldly pawned her off to some other dude. here, she hears him bawl his eyes out and make a tearful plea to his brother to SAVE her because he feels he cant protect her, and she gets all pissy just like shes in the game. Umm why?

The show doesnt earn this moment and the performances are wooden at the same time. This was THE scene that made twitch and youtube reaction videos a thing. Here it came and went and im like ok.
I dont even like the remake version of this scene because they new character model doesnt have the same detached and cold look Joel had in the prerendered PS3 cutscenes. That was perfection.

They told the actors not to play the game in order to not get influenced by it. Well, then why did you use so much dialogue and so many of the same scenes from the game? The writers are clearly influenced. Let the actors see the source material.

Last edited:
They told the actors not to play the game in order to not get influenced by it.
This didn’t matter anyway because months before the show came out(if anyone remembers), Pedro Pascal admitted to playing his role too closely to the game to the point where he felt guilty that he might have been a bit wooden.

The thread was on GAF.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Worse in every way. I was really looking forward to this scene and it just doesnt work here because the events that follow it dont really add up. in the game, she gets mad and escapes on horseback after Joel bullies his brother into taking her off his hands. He then has to kill a bunch of people to rescue her. He's pissed, annoyed and is done with her, and she is pissed that he so coldly pawned her off to some other dude. here, she hears him bawl his eyes out and make a tearful plea to his brother to SAVE her because he feels he cant protect her, and she gets all pissy just like shes in the game. Umm why?

The show doesnt earn this moment and the performances are cold and detached at the same time. This was THE scene that made twitch and youtube reaction videos a thing. Here it came and went and im like ok.
I dont even like the remake version of this scene because they new character model doesnt have the same detached and cold look Joel had in the prerendered PS3 cutscenes. That was perfection.

They told the actors not to play the game in order to not get influenced by it. Well, then why did you use so much dialogue and so many of the same scenes from the game? The writers are clearly influenced. Let the actors see the source material.
I agree, I preferred the game. Still think given the context of how the show is playing out, the scene was fine. I preferred the game because Joel was angry, but not because he doesn't like her, because he's getting attached and doesn't want to lose someone he loves again. In the show they're going for a softer Joel, and I think it's based on what they want the ending to deliver to audiences. I missed the "Admit you wanted to leave me this whole time" line from Ellie in the game. I preferred that to "If you're gonna ditch me, ditch me."

I think they're going to have to show how Ellie and Joel get out of that predicament in the end of episode 6. Stuff like that is fine for a game, but in terms of believability, that won't fly for a TV show. Can't just get to episode 8 and Joel is laid up in bed without any context.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Still a 9/10 episode but not much tension or danger......kind of slow. Should pick up next episode though.

They have a pretty dependable loop of a slower, character and current setting building episode followed by an action heavy conclusion episode to that mini Arc. It feels to me like most of these could have been edited a little tighter and combined into super episodes, but I know nothing about filming television shows. That Could be bending it too far for a show on it's premier season, and it seems like TLOU already got a pretty generous treatment at HBO based on pedigree alone. Interesting stuff to ponder.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I agree, I preferred the game. Still think given the context of how the show is playing out, the scene was fine. I preferred the game because Joel was angry, but not because he doesn't like her, because he's getting attached and doesn't want to lose someone he loves again. In the show they're going for a softer Joel, and I think it's based on what they want the ending to deliver to audiences. I missed the "Admit you wanted to leave me this whole time" line from Ellie in the game. I preferred that to "If you're gonna ditch me, ditch me."

I think they're going to have to show how Ellie and Joel get out of that predicament in the end of episode 6. Stuff like that is fine for a game, but in terms of believability, that won't fly for a TV show. Can't just get to episode 8 and Joel is laid up in bed without any context.
This was episode 6. Episode 7 is going to be left behind plus Ellie dealing with David's Crew.
Episode 8 is going to be David vs Ellie and Joel waking up and torturing people starting his descent into evil Joel.
It will be at least one episode without Joel. Maybe an episode and a half.

Tripolygon

Banned
Read what you said vs what he said, not the same thing.

Finally: I am the biggest fan of The Last of Us.

Did you play the game? It’s so sad, I haven’t any skill. I tried, you know. And then it was only a matter of minutes before I had to hand it over to my nephew. It really takes a specific kind of skill, and I don’t have it.

Did you watch him play through the whole thing?

I watched for as long as I was able to that day, and then I had to leave Florida. I found Joel so impressive — I found the whole of it such a visually impressive experience. And then I got worried that I would want to imitate too much, which I think could be right in some circumstances, and then a mistake in others. So I just wanted to create a healthy distance, and for that to be more in the hands of [show co-writer] Craig Mazin and [game writer and show co-writer] Neil Druckmann.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This was episode 6. Episode 7 is going to be left behind plus Ellie dealing with David's Crew.
Episode 8 is going to be David vs Ellie and Joel waking up and torturing people starting his descent into evil Joel.

People also get so wrapped up in Left Behind's main story with Riley that they tend to forget the "present day," mall segment with Ellie looking for first aid supplies in the helicopter and stores and shit. There's a lot to work with.

Read what you said vs what he said, not the same thing.

Finally: I am the biggest fan of The Last of Us.

Did you play the game? It’s so sad, I haven’t any skill. I tried, you know. And then it was only a matter of minutes before I had to hand it over to my nephew. It really takes a specific kind of skill, and I don’t have it.

Did you watch him play through the whole thing?

I watched for as long as I was able to that day, and then I had to leave Florida. I found Joel so impressive — I found the whole of it such a visually impressive experience. And then I got worried that I would want to imitate too much, which I think could be right in some circumstances, and then a mistake in others. So I just wanted to create a healthy distance, and for that to be more in the hands of [show co-writer] Craig Mazin and [game writer and show co-writer] Neil Druckmann.
b779bda9dd402e2f92e12c7ee2f9f92b.jpg

Yea I misremembered, my apologies.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I know it was episode 6 I think you misunderstood my post. I skipped episode 7 because it's going to be the DLC and flashback stuff. Or at least most of it. But my point is I think they need to show how Joel was able to get out of there critically wounded.

Shakka43

Killing like 15 people ducking behind cover (with ellie running around like shes on fire) is just not realistic

This is what people mad about part 2 didn’t understand. Joel is not a superhero, he’s a old ass man. He survived in the apocalypse the same way everyone else has
But Ellie and Abby are? They face even bigger waves of enemies than Joel, and old or not in a realistic world a Joel type can easily overpower a skinny ass Ellie and even a buff Abby.

But Ellie and Abby are? They face even bigger waves of enemies than Joel, and old or not in a realistic world a Joel type can easily overpower a skinny ass Ellie and even a buff Abby.

And they most likely won’t be depicted in season 2 the way they were in the game either

I doubt ellie kills more than even 3 people by the time this entire show is over

Last edited:

Shakka43

And they most likely won’t be depicted in season 2 the way they were in the game either

I doubt ellie kills more than even 3 people by the time this entire show is over
They are already prepping up Ellie as some badass take no shit type of girl. On her path to revenge I see her death count being a lot higher than Joel's once is all set and done.

I dont think a 60+ year-old man, who by his own admission is having a hard time keeping up, would have "handled his own" against Abby after having his knee blown off with a shotgun and surrounded by a group of others holding weapons toward him and his brother.

If that sounds more realistic to you, perhaps you've watched too many Marvel or kids movies where the good guys can always overcome any odds, because they fight for justice!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm fine with most of the changes. Some I liked better in the game, some in the show. Either way with the ones I disliked, it hasn't hurt the show for me. But there's one thing if they change, I'm going to be extremely displeased. And that's
When Joel kills Marlene at the end, he does it ruthlessly. It's important because it shows how he won't hesitate to protect Ellie even for a second. Given that the show has made Joel softer, they better not make him procrastinate or get all teary eyed about it. They absolutely positively cannot change that moment. It was arguably the best moment from the game.

Shakka43

I dont think a 60+ year-old man, who by his own admission is having a hard time keeping up, would have "handled his own" against Abby after having his knee blown off with a shotgun and surrounded by a group of others holding weapons toward him and his brother.

If that sounds more realistic to you, perhaps you've watched too many Marvel or kids movies where the good guys can always overcome any odds, because they fight for justice!
The fuck are you even going on about. Would Abby with a blown off knee "handle her own" against Joel?
My comment was about the gameplay not that scene.

Markio128

Gold Member
I really enjoyed this episode. Even though there was barely any action, I was still gripped from start to finish. The only problem with an episode like this is that I’m even more keen to see the next one. I’m not a fan of these weekly episodes - I get it because it keeps customers engaged - but I’d have loved to have binge watched the whole thing.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
Too much of the horror elements and set pieces have been taken out to really enjoy the show. I was really really looking forward to how they would do the hotel basement.

The show has been a disappointment .
I’d argue the section you are referring to was necessary for the game, not the show. People playing the game off the back of watching the show will have plenty of surprises to look forward to.

Robb

Gold Member
Just finished Ep6, this was a slow one but still OK. I feel the pacing of this show is all over the place.

Also, the intro to this one was pretty bad. No way Ellie only mentions the way she tried to use her blood to save the kid for the first time three months later, like they haven’t talked about that at all until now? Some very strange writing there.

Last edited:
Wow that scene with the Joel and Ellie argument blew me away.

I'm so attached to that scene in the game so it was something I thought would be very hard to do justice to.

But they knocked it out of the park. Games still better but that's ok is it's impossible to top that

Might be my favourite episode but don't think I'll be able to decide until binge the whole season back to back.

That episode felt the most like The Last of Us to me. Might be because we got so much Joel and Ellie.

Last edited:
How many awards did Jurassic World win?

If the majority of the audience loves the show and it receives a lot of awards, then why should it matter if it's a downgrade or not like by some gamers?

It's like you're desperate to argue about something that doesn't make any sense.
It’s not like awards aren’t driven by agendas. Also, how many awards did TLoU TV show get when it’s not finished airing yet?

"I was an assistant district attorney."
When you were 20? Come on now.

Setting up Joel now to be a weak old man makes sense with Part 2 in mind I guess.

Not a bad episode overall.
My thoughts exactly. They are making him weak right off the bat so that the sharp character change doesn’t look bad in Part 2. Also, Pedro Pascal trying to emote was painful to watch.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It’s not like awards aren’t driven by agendas. Also, how many awards did TLoU TV show get when it’s not finished airing yet?

They're not. Just the usual conspiracy theories you're throwing out because you can't accept the fact that it's beloved series.

I said people love the show and it received a lot of awards and I'm obviously talking about the games. The series is successful and the fact that you don't like it isn't going to change that lol

Jimmy_liv

Just finished Ep6, this was a slow one but still OK. I feel the pacing of this show is all over the place.

Also, the intro to this one was pretty bad. No way Ellie only mentions the way she tried to use her blood to save the kid for the first time three months later, like they haven’t talked about that at all until now? Some very strange writing there.
Agreed but it's similar in the game and I thought the same there.
You're wandering around just before the dam and she talks about it.

Again, I just thought.... Months later.... Really? But I guess it's for continuity. Sticks out more in the TV show thou.

Nankatsu

I liked the episode. Not the same action pack you get in the game, but I liked how they handle the episode on the human and emotional level.

However, who was the little kid that Ellie shot? I got confused on that part. Wasn't her first kill the guy that assaults Joel during the Henry Arc?

Also, was it just me or the girl watching Ellie and Joel eating felt like Dina?

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

This is exactly what I think is going to happen too. If he gets a moment to go Rambo, it'll be in that episode.

I also think the doctor in e9 will get more character development in the show than in the game.
Sadly I think we're not going to get rambo Joel. Every opportunity to cut some of his brutality has been taken unfortunately.

It's a great show but it's definitely lost a bit of its edge with along with Joel's killer characterisation.

Last edited:
They're not. Just the usual conspiracy theories you're throwing out because you can't accept the fact that it's beloved series.

I said people love the show and it received a lot of awards and I'm obviously talking about the games. The series is successful and the fact that you don't like it isn't going to change that lol
The game is great. My GotY 2013 personally. The TV show not so much.

And to think that awards these days aren’t driven by agenda, you’d have to be incredibly out of touch.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The game is great. My GotY 2013 personally. The TV show not so much.

And to think that awards these days aren’t driven by agenda, you’d have to be incredibly out of touch.
You're here complaining about the second game and how they're making changes to the TV.

Your conspiracy theories aren't going to work, it's just an excuse people use when they're unwilling to accept the fact that people like the game and the TV show. They said journalists were paid, YouTubers were paid etc. These are nothing more than excuses.

If there was an agenda as people claim, then games like Hogwarts would receive a lot of bad reviews.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What the fuck, did they actually just do that, or is it a fake out? Will the iconic hospital scene etc just not happen now? Did NOT think they would diverge that heavily from the game.

Edit: Guess I don't actually remember the game, lol.

Last edited:
You're here complaining about the second game and how they're making changes to the TV.

Your conspiracy theories aren't going to work, it's just an excuse people use when they're unwilling to accept the fact that people like the game and the TV show. They said journalists were paid, YouTubers were paid etc. These are nothing more than excuses.

If there was an agenda as people claim, then games like Hogwarts would receive a lot of bad reviews.
The 2nd game obviously didn’t sell as well as other Sony first party games - and it was supposed to become Sony’s best selling first party game. And it didn’t review well with fans either.

The TV show is doing well but only because people are glazing over so many of the flaws. It happens sometimes.

Top Bottom