• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

No idea why we had to see Joel's character assassination in this episode. I had figured that this more mellowed version of Joel was written for the finale to have a bigger shock, but its obvious that they were building up to this. showing Joel as unsure of himself, weak, emotional, bad at killing people, and a bit of a coward is an interesting take.

One that I fucking hate, but whatever, they are allowed to take the show in a different direction. ranch scene was ok. Sets were amazing. weird after those rough KC episodes that felt very cheap. they've put a lot of effort and money into this show, and while it doesnt always show, it definitely was great to see TLOU2's sets make an appearance here.

#NoMyJoel but it's Neil's character, his game and his show so go nuts. I am just mentally checking out at this point. will try to enjoy it for what it is, but i just dont understand why they had to change ANY lines or character motivations from the game which was as close to perfect as you're going to get. Ranch scene shouldve been copy pasta.
Shit take.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
damn didnt even notice that

PXL-20230220-060329388.jpg

kyliethicc

loved that episode

covering all of fall in one episode was wise. well adapted hitting each beat

jackson was cool. nice set up for shimmer too
bella and pedro did great as usual
scenery shots looked great in the wild
glad they kept in the university
less crazy action escape makes sense, more grounded as usual
love gustavo's music as always

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Episode 6 was the second best episode so far, only behind the premier. Absolutely loved Joel’s monologue to Tommy. I think they’re setting it up for terminator Joel in the last two episodes.

Episode 3 is the only miss for me.

Last edited:
A show being good or bad is subjective. Your opinion is not a fact.

People who say a show is overrated, they're basically telling everyone that the show doesn't deserve the praise that it's getting. Well, guess what? It's successful because many people think the show is good.
Yeah and McDonald’s is successful as well. As was the last Jurassic World movie.

People really don't understand what "badly written character" means. Someone making bad decisions does not mean they're badly written if the goal of the writer was to show someone making bad decisions. I can't believe I have to spell this out.
They are badly written if the reason they make bad decisions is so that the main character can progress/escape/live.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yeah and McDonald’s is successful as well. As was the last Jurassic World movie.
Matters to whom?
How many awards did Jurassic World win?

If the majority of the audience loves the show and it receives a lot of awards, then why should it matter if it's a downgrade or not like by some gamers?

It's like you're desperate to argue about something that doesn't make any sense.

Ulysses 31

Bump

This is a conversation I had WEEKS ago and tonight's episode confirmed EVERYTHING that I told you. lol

Joel was scared of losing Ellie and he didn't believe he was capable of protecting her.
Haven't watched the episode yet but I don't see how that changes anything I said. Joel can have some care for Ellie at that point and at the same time trying to cut her from his life.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Haven't watched the episode yet but I don't see how that changes anything I said. Joel can have some care for Ellie at that point and at the same time trying to cut her from his life.

All that hinges on if he sees Ellie as a daughter already or as a means to get his merchandise back(and honor Tess) which in the game seems to happen past that point. He still talks to Tommy about charging him with delivering Ellie to the Fireflies and collecting the payment. He was more concerned about getting enough gear back to set him on his own way again than Ellie's future.

The part highlighted above.

You said weeks ago and it was proven false. It was already clear in the game, but now Joel specifically tells Tommy why he wanted to leave Ellie with Tommy.

I know you're not going to admit that you were wrong but anyone who watches this episode and looks at your comment will know. lol

Ulysses 31

The part highlighted above.

You said weeks ago and it was proven false. It was already clear in the game, but now Joel specifically tells Tommy why he wanted to leave Ellie with Tommy.

I know you're not going to admit that you were wrong but anyone who watches this episode and looks at your comment will know. lol
Yeah, he wants to drop off Ellie (in good hands) and get geared up enough to be on his own way again. How are those things mutually exclusive?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yeah, he wants to drop off Ellie (in good hands) and get geared up enough to be on his own way again. How are those things mutually exclusive?

He was more concerned about getting enough gear back to set him on his own way again than Ellie's future.

You literally just said Joel having gear was more important than Ellie's future. Now you're trying to sneak in the "in good hands" part. lol

You didn't believe me weeks ago when I told you Joel cared for Ellie but he wasn't confident enough in his ability to protect her and that's why he wanted to leave her with Tommy.

Now you're pretending that this conversation never happened and you're trying to twist what you originally said.

The proof is right there. ANYONE can see it. I don't need to even debate this any further because we both know what you said. lol

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

You literally just said Joel having gear was more important than Ellie's future. Now you're trying to sneak in the "in good hands" part. lol

You didn't believe me weeks ago when I told you Joel cared for Elie and he wasn't confident enough in his ability to protect her and that's why he wanted to leave her with Tommy.

Now you're pretending that this conversation never happened and you're trying to twist what you originally said.

The proof is right there. ANYONE can see it. I don't need to even debate this any further because we both know what you said. lol
Not really since I already said that he doesn't want to see Ellie get hurt on his watch before. He was trying to guilt trip Tommy into taking Ellie of his hands and even got a little violent when Tommy pushed back so that's why I'm saying he was more concerned(a bigger priority for him) with getting rid of Ellie than just continue the journey with her.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Another excellent episode, some calm and introspection, relief after so much grieve and tension. I like how they deal with Joel's inner fear and wear down, and the grounded approach to tell their story.
Next episode unless mistaken is "Left Behind" ?

skneogaf

Why is the town from the second game in this episode?

Surely the best thing is to copy the games, the filming sets are absolutely amazing!

It really could have been the best live action anything!

ShadowNate

It was a so and so episode for me.
The casting was good (nice seeing Tara from True Blood again), music good, writing mostly good, performances... so and so. Edit: humor good too.

I liked the start with the encounter of the couple of elder people.

But then the Tommy stuff felt rushed I think. This has been Joel's goal from the beginning (granted we're meant to take that it has shifted to Ellie now) and they dedicated less than an episode to it, and most of it was not even with Tommy and Joel.

And the two "emotionally heavy" scenes (I am excluding the finale one) also felt off. Like it was the first take and they kept it or something. The actors didn't seem to play off each other as well as previously.

Anyway, maybe it was supposed to feel awkward and not the actors' best dramatic performance or something.

It also felt like that's it for Tommy, his family and this experimental society altogether. "Hello, nice place you have here brother -- you could have called, oh no you could not because reasons, oh you're not coming with us?, ok goodbye forever now".

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Making Joel more sympathetic in this episode was a mistake. Should have retained game Joel’s more callous reasoning for getting Tommy to take her. That’s why the ‘you don’t know what loss is’ confrontation doesn’t work as well.

Other than that, yet again a fantastic hour of TV.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Not really since I already said that he doesn't want to see Ellie get hurt on his watch before. He was trying to guilt trip Tommy into taking Ellie of his hands and even got a little violent when Tommy pushed back so that's why I'm saying he was more concerned(a bigger priority for him) with getting rid of Ellie than just continue the journey with her.

So he cared more about his gear than Ellie's future?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Episode 5 is where the magic was lost for me. The plot works much better as a video game where the player is experiencing everything themselves. The novelty of the game is playing through what feels like a movie. It was the marriage of high production, realistic acting, and decent gameplay that made TLOU amazing. Remove any of the three and the game would not have been as impactful.

The show's production and storytelling are not enough to compensate for the lack of gameplay and uneven acting. The shot for shot remake of setpieces from the game isn't helping the show capture its own identity either. It's watchable but not as good as I would like it to be.
Millions of people love this show every week. It keeps breaking records and has become the new hottest show.

You're in the minority.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No, but the gear was a means to his end of continuing on his own which was bigger goal for him than sticking with Ellie.

He was more concerned about getting enough gear back to set him on his own way again than Ellie's future.

You're just going to contradict yourself. I told you that you don't know the story as well as you think. But seriously, I don't. The episode proved my point.lol

Ulysses 31

You're just going to contradict yourself. I told you that you don't know the story as well as you think. But seriously, I don't. The episode proved my point.lol
Not really, there's 2 parts in that sentence, the gear part and the part to get him on his own way again. The gear on its own might not be something Joel cares more about but combined with the 2nd part, that becomes something Joel cares more about than Ellie.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Kinda of a weak episode if compared to the game

In the game, there's a torture scene that Joel do to have a location on the map. This is kinda showed here but with no torture, with a nice couple that offers soup. Not much of a badass thing. It's just a fluke. Not really great material

In the game, Ellie feels distant and wants to go by herself find the Fireflies. It was poorly executed in the show

In the game, it's a struggle to Joel getting hurt, but in the show he just gets. Not much of a fight, not a single run, not even a little stealth. It just happens, and it's very poorly executed

Dina appearance is nice thou

Last edited:

Strategize

In the game, there's a torture scene that Joel do to have a location on the map. This is kinda showed here but with no torture, with a nice couple that offers soup. Not much of a badass thing. It's just a fluke. Not really great materia
Game Torture Scene doesn't happen until David shows up, if it's in the show it wouldn't happen until Episode 8.
In the game, Ellie feels distant and wants to go by herself find the Fireflies. It was poorly executed in the show
Doesn't happen until Part II. By this point Ellie was pissed at Joel for trying to ditch her with Tommey.

Last edited:
Pc sales will explode on steam in march

I'm not sure they will. Sony games are performing worse and worse on PC with each release it seems.

Probably would have done better to have the PC release alongside episode 1.

Also Part 1 is like 10 years old so lots of people will have played it.

I think initial release will be slow but will have strong legs considering Factions and Season 2 will keep it in the limelight for years to come.

Also then when release Part 2 on PC it should see a further bump.

Wonder if the franchise can reach 50 million sales by the year's end? I think so.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
please continue to consume and do not have any individual thought.
If "individual thought" is unsubstantiated and weird claims like "uneven acting" when the performances are absolutely top-notch and the show "not finding its identity," when it has become one of the biggest shows in recent years ... yes, please, it's best not to have those stupid thoughts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom