• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuso

I think part of it is that in a real card game, the exact words and grammar used are everything. The people playing the game have to read the card independently and come to the exact same conclusion on all details or else you have a problem.

Yu-Gi-Oh! struggled alot with that part and so the company had to publish different errata of cards.
Consistency is key for expansion(s). The amount of unexpected mistakes and combos will rise when these minor mistakes add up.

Water

Ihearthu has some good arena guides from Vivifrage worth checking out, but otherwise you aren't going to find much better.
Vivifrage = Vivafringe, I presume. Thanks - will check it out later.

If pickings are slim in dedicated "strategy" articles or videos, I guess the next question is which streamers/casters/commentators offer the most insight on games as they are played. Any pointers on that front? Of course watching any top-level player play can be educational in itself, but some of them are surely going to be more talkative and better at verbalizing why they are making a given choice.

Minsc

Gold Member
Which I dislike as well. While I wouldn't expect all 5 dream cards to be written into the card text itself, you should be able to hover over Ysera and bring up a list of all possible dream cards. I remember really disliking the fact that the first time I had Ysera played against me I had to google the card to see what it would actually do. (I ran out of time on my turn and lost the game because I couldn't play around a card the game didn't explain to me. Which is a really shitty feeling).

Basically I would say any card that you can't 100% understand and predict all behavior just from reading it in your 'my collection' screen is handled poorly and you should expect to see complaints about them.

Yeah, in a normal TCG/CCG, you'd think they'd simply underline Dream Card and have it be a link to the dream cards, like in Hex when a card can change forms, the form it can become is linked in the description and if you click the link, you see the new card. And if that new card can also change to another form, you can follow that link and see a third card.

Despite me defending the game in this case, I do think the card would be better off if the text said Choose One: Transform this card in to a new card - Bear Form or Cat Form, and you could hover over each form's written name and see what they were (the two forms with their art would pop up).

zoukka

Why should they? Its no real threat and will likely end in 0:1 or 1:1 and only rarely 1+x:1. End the conters are numerous...

You have one deadly shot in your deck (if you play the most popular version), 2 animal companions with RNG and maybe kill command + cheap minion to quickly dispatch of Nat. And besides conpanions you don't want to use any of those cards to remove it. It's a nightmare for me at least.

Correct, but when you go to play a DotC, I do believe you are shown two (clearly) unique, different minion cards, not the same card with different buff text. When you go to play an AoW, you are shown the same card with the choice of two buffs (or shown the two buffs perhaps, i forgot, not two different minions like with DotC), so there is some degree of clarity on the playing side of the card as well, before the card is played (as you can cancel out of playing it after seeing the choices).

Ysera is another example, perhaps better than DotC, because when you play or play against a Ysera, all you see is you get to draw a "Dream" card. No where does it indicate to you or your opponent what a dream card is or could be. At least with DotC / AoW, it does indicate to both players to some extent what will / has happened imo.

I think that we're looking at this from the wrong side. The problem is not that DotC transforms into a different card but the fact that AoW does not. AoW should transform into either a 10/5 card or a 5/10 Taunt card.

Bizazedo

I think that we're looking at this from the wrong side. The problem is not that DotC transforms into a different card but the fact that AoW does not. AoW should transform into either a 10/5 card or a 5/10 Taunt card.

Stealth Druid buff request.

Joking aside, I'd love to see the stats on how many people choose 10/5 over 5/10.

I think that would be too powerful for 7 mana. it's already one of the best 7 drops in the game and druids don't need the help.

Wanted to see how much me and a friend could buff a single card.
JgvDuJB.png

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Since 'inconsistencies' in card text are brought up here, I'll bring up what I've said earlier; Why are cards discarded by Tracking not shown to the opponent? All the other cards with a discard effect (and also drawing when your hand is full) show the discarded card(s) to your opponent without specifically mentioning this in their text.
Tracking uses the same 'discard' in the card text, but the discarded cards are not shown to the enemy at all. Why is this? Shouldn't that be a trade-off for you being able to get a specific card while also eliminating two specific cards from your deck?

Interfectum

Since 'inconsistencies' in card text are brought up here, I'll bring up what I've said earlier; Why are cards discarded by Tracking not shown to the opponent? All the other cards with a discard effect (and also drawing when your hand is full) show the discarded card(s) to your opponent without specifically mentioning this in their text.

Tracking uses the same 'discard' in the card text, but the discarded cards are not shown to the enemy at all. Why is this? Shouldn't that be a trade-off for you being able to get a specific card while also eliminating two specific cards from your deck?

Has anyone reported this on the official forums? I bet they would fix this.

Wouldn't divine spirit be more effective with an inner fire to finish it off (with cho)?

blessed champion doubles attack. which means you can escalate things very quickly.

edit: you don't necessarily cast it on cho. any minion will do. also helps if you faceless cho a few times.

I don't have a problem with these cards, they say exactly what you get. It is consistent with other cards that give + stats, even on themselves.

scy

The logic for Tracking not displaying is probably due to them never being in your hand.

Anybody know the counter to Miracle/Malygos Rogue?
Is there any?

Kill them before they can go off, basically. They lack a good way to deal with early aggression without costing themselves later draws. The more they spend early the less they get to use later to cycle through their deck.

I don't have a problem with these cards, they say exactly what you get. It is consistent with other cards that give + stats, even on themselves.

Honestly, while Druid of the Claw / Ancient of War functionality is different, the way their individual cards are treated is super consistent. Messing up with them means messing up with basic game stuff.

Like, from reading the cards you wouldn't be able to tell that these two do different things. Once you see them in play, it's obvious how the game treats them.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Is there any?
Rush them down generally. They have no defenses and are actually rather slow to kill you. They'll generally win out in the end so you just have to kill them before they kill you.

If the auctioneers come slowly, a deck with a lot of health like control warrior (hero power + double shield block + alextrasa) can also just live through the pain and have the rogue just run out of damage.

edit: Also just having tons of taunt can wreck standard miracle rogue. I don't know if that is as effective against malygos though.

inky

I agree with this. I don't know if they fear it's too much information, but Tracking is such a powerful card that I don't see how it can be.

Something that threw me off in the beginning was the "return card to its owner's hand", like Dream. In other games like YGO it kinda means the original owner, but here it just means the side it is currently on.

Is there any?
I dunno if there's a real hard counter because they have so much cheap removal but you want to kill them before turn 9 or have a way to deal with malygos. so if you get a good start with an aggro deck, I guess. control warrior or ramp druid my be good, too. with druid you'll lay down so many threats that you'll force them to burn a bunch of spells before malygos comes out. and warrior should be able to get enough armor that it won't matter. plus you have good removal.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
The logic for Tracking not displaying is probably due to them never being in your hand.
When you draw a card and your hand is full, it gets shown to your enemy upon discard, despite that card never actually being in your hand. What makes Tracking different?

scy

Rush them down generally. They have no defenses and are actually rather slow to kill you. They'll generally win out in the end so you just have to kill them before they kill you.

If they auctioneers come slowly, a deck with a lot of health like control warrior (hero power + double shield block + alextrasa) can also just live through the pain and have the rogue just run out of damage.

Just to note, that's a pretty important "if." Control Warrior is such a slow deck generally (especially this new variant that is even weaker to Miracle Rogue than before) that there's little worry on the Rogue's side of things until they get an Auctioneer out on turn 5/6. Miracle Rogue is the favorite here and is the favorite in most other semi-control / big threat decks (e.g., Ramp Druid, Priest Control) decks.

When you draw a card when your hand is full, it gets shown to your enemy upon discard, despite that card never actually being in your hand. What makes Tracking different?

Because it would have been otherwise? I dunno.

I'm not against Tracking being altered to match and wouldn't be surprised otherwise. Just saying why Tracking most likely got around the Warlock mechanic.

FStop7

Banned
So, Turn 1 Dragon Hawk, turn 2 2x Abusive Sargent just happened to me in Arena.

I don't even know how I'm supposed to react to that...

I just concede unless I have an immediate counter. Joke/gimmick decks or 1 in 100 lucky draws don't interest me. If I play vs. a Warlock and he starts spamming murlocs, I move on to the next game.

I splurged and bought 40 more packs yesterday. I got Alexstrasza and Gruul. Alex is a keeper, but I'm thinking about dusting Gruul. I want Cairne, Jaraxxus (Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion), and Tirion. I also got a golden Blood Knight - kinda thinking about dusting him, too. I already had a regular one. I'm reluctant to dust any unwanted legendaries just because if I wait for the next round of nerfs/buffs I could potentially get 4x the dust.

J0dy77

Looking for some crafting advice. Coming up on 1600 dust and was planning on making a Bloodmage or Cairn but I never seem to get Epic cards. Was debating if I should just make some of the stronger Epics that I'm sorely lacking, My other fear is that I open a pack down the line with a crafted legendary and wind up wasting 800 dust when i shard it.

I swear this game cherry picks. Priest uses thoughtsteal and gets the only equality and consecrate in my deck. Really? out of 27 cards, those 2?

FStop7

Banned
Looking for some crafting advice. Coming up on 1600 dust and was planning on making a Bloodmage or Cairn but I never seem to get Epic cards. Was debating if I should just make some of the stronger Epics that I'm sorely lacking, My other fear is that I open a pack down the line with a crafted legendary and wind up wasting 800 dust when i shard it.

A lot of the best epics seem to be class specific.

Two good neutral epics would be Facelss Manipulator and Blood Knight.

Minsc

Gold Member
I swear this game cherry picks. Priest uses thoughtsteal and gets the only equality and consecrate in my deck. Really? out of 27 cards, those 2?

It's probably not out of 27 cards, unless somehow they are playing it on their first turn with 2 coins and you're using a 31 card deck. The thing with thoughtsteal is you know any card you have 1 of in your deck that's in your hand they'll never get with it, at least that's what little satisfaction you can get from having it played against you (that and I guess it screws up their tempo).

I've gotten useless cards a bunch though, it's not perfect. Plenty of times it'll give me deadly poison which buffs a weapon and no weapon to play with it.

Q8D3vil

Depend on the class you like to play, thalnos is pretty good with midrange shaman (synergize well with low cost aoe clear).
Cairne is good in every type of control deck.

FStop7

Banned
Hey is there no golden Taz'dingo in this game? It's a basic/neutral card so everyone has the regular version, but I've never seen a golden one.

inky

Hey is there no golden Taz'dingo in this game? It's a basic/neutral card so everyone has the regular version, but I've never seen a golden one.

It's a reward for leveling a hero. Not sure which or what level.

Edit: beaten with proper answer.

So, Turn 1 Dragon Hawk, turn 2 2x Abusive Sargent just happened to me in Arena.

I don't even know how I'm supposed to react to that...

I had a Young Dragon Hawk in an arena deck once (my other two choices were a 1/1 murloc and a high cost garbage card that I can't specifically recall). I got a solid fourteen damage out of that thing before it died. It lasted all the way from turn 1 to turn 5 where I sacrificed it to remove a larger minion. The highlight was buffing it on turn 4 with the Dark Iron Dwarf and getting 6 damage to the face from a 1/1 that I played three turns ago.

I have the gold tazdingo and I love using him. Rogue is still the only class I hit 60 with... still working on warrior to get yetis. It is still taking forever since I don't play it much.

I have the gold tazdingo and I love using him. Rogue is still the only class I hit 60 with... still working on warrior to get yetis. It is still taking forever since I don't play it much.

The golden soulbound cards are so leet. I love how you rarely ever see them out in the wild.

I have a golden tazdingo only when my golden ETC gives me Power of the Horde :)

krossj

I'm enjoying casual and ranked gameplay but the arena is a little bit frustrating. It seems just based on different levels of luck in the initial stage. I'm still very new to the game so a lot of it is down to my lack of understanding but the past couple of card drafts have been terrible.

Don't think I am near being able to play that mode properly so going to stay clear of arena for now even though it seems like a more efficient way to get cards.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Whelp, I broke and plonked some money down on 42 packs. The loot;
+ 3 Golden Commons (Venture Co. Mercenary / Lightning Bolt / Betrayal), 3 Golden Rares (Mana Addict / Bite / Divine Favor), 7 Epics (2x Patient Assassin / Earth Elemental / Avenging Wrath / Far Sight / Molten Giant / Hungry Crab) and 45 other Rares (Basically a whole load of Dust).

Dat Wisp though. Such value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom