• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

long post

Most people don't complain because zoo is overpowered (I don't think it is). Most of the complaints are because it requires zero brains to play and his highly effective. Also because ladder is infested with the deck, also because it's fucking shit to play against, win or lose. The game would be better off if rogues and warlocks were just completely overhauled because both are broken right now. The only class that needs a nerf is Druid.

Most people don't complain because zoo is overpowered (I don't think it is). Most of the complaints are because it requires zero brains to play and his highly effective. Also because ladder is infested with the deck, also because it's fucking shit to play against, win or lose. The game would be better off if rogues and warlocks were just completely overhauled because both are broken right now. The only class that needs a nerf is Druid.

The Warlock hero power is what makes Zoo so effective. For two mana, you lose two health but you get to draw a card in a game where drawing is so pivotal. It needs cost 3-4 health, IMO. Makes the player more cautious about tapping away.

As far as the Rogue, if Blizzard find a way to nerf Gadgetzan, then they will effectively nerf the Miracle Rogue deck. The fact that you can cycle your entire deck with essentially one card is what makes the Miracle Rogue deck seem so broken.

I don't even get annoyed with Miracle Rogue decks anymore, though. It actually does take some setting up and some skill to play.

scy

Honestly, I see a LOT of crying going on throughout the hearthstone community, and I feel that it's unwarranted.

Really, many of the complaints are just short-term sort of things. They'll shift to whatever is the new thing and complain about that and it'll repeat forever.

People like to talk about the warlock hero power and compare it to insanely powerful, or banned cards in mtg or ygo.

I don't think any comparison really works, honestly. Like, the common one is Necropotence and that's not even close to the same since you can refill or draw X-1 as needed rather than be limited per turn. I just think of it as a free Sign in Blood / Night's Whisper / etc.

The Warlock hero power is what makes Zoo so effective. For two mana, you lose two health but you get to draw a card in a game where drawing is so pivotal. It needs cost 3-4 health, IMO. Makes the player more cautious about tapping away.

Control archetypes really need some good curve fixing options too; would at least help their consistency which may be enough to deal with Zoo with certain decks. The problem is these same sort of things also work for Zoo and you can't realistically just give every class but Warlock class specific cards for this :| Many Anti-Zoo options are just good in Zoo.

The Hero Power costing more is weird, though. Like, it benefits Handlock by shaving a turn or two off for Molten Giants coming online. Personally, I don't even think the Hero Power is the right target for Zoo. Zoo works so well because of how Hearthstone is structured: Being ahead on board gives you control so you want the initiative more often than not. The card draw part of Warlock just makes them the best class for the deck since it gives them the best way to use excess mana later. I think the game just needs some form of neutral that is good vs Zoo's style but isn't good in Zoo. Probably more things like Unstable Ghoul, Wild Pyro, etc. that are symmetrical in their damage as well as ways to punish 2-3 minions on board early (and/or benefit from your opponent playing 2-3 cards in one turn).

Alternatively, which is what Naxx seems to aim for, is to create some new deck options that may be good vs Zoo and rely on them to become a big enough part of the meta to shift Zoo out temporarily. The oddity here is that those classes come online pretty late due to the staggered releases so we'll see.

biaxident

And Captains Parrot haha.

lol yeah, webspinner might be the funnest card in the game. With my luck, I know i'm getting only parrots. On a different note, went 2-3 in arena (becoming somehow common for me now, used to be always 5-7+ range) but opened a Velen.

ViviOggi

Fucker pulled King Krush from his Webspinner which made for exact lethal with the bow charge he had left, his only out from me killing him next turn outside of topdicking his own KK.

Ultrabum

Fucker pulled King Krush from his Webspinner which made for exact lethal with the bow charge he had left, his only out from me killing him next turn outside of topdicking his own KK.

That is amazing. That has got to be infuriating when it happens, but in hindsight is kinda cool.

ViviOggi

That is amazing. That has got to be infuriating when it happens, but in hindsight is kinda cool.
Yeah, it was too ridiculous to get mad about even then. I just had a dumb Webspinner who cycled itself in a different game. Actually not too bad for tempo when it happens early.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Me, I'm looking forward to Mad Scientist and all the Secret decks that'll pop up.

I see him being used in Freeze Mage decks as a swap for loot hoarder or novice engineer but probably nothing else. If you put multiple secrets in you kind of want to be able to choose which/when you play a secret. LIke having him grab explosive trap on an empty board is probably a bad idea. Meanwhile with freeze mage, the mage would probably play ice barrier or ice block any time they could if they had the free mana. So there he would be a 2/2 body and a 3 mana secret for 2 mana, pretty sick.

Funny thing about the webspinner is the card text talks about how these spiders capture all kinds of things in their web cocoons. Gives me the image of this tiny spider somehow capturing and web wrapping a giant T-Rex.

Kangi

Climbing the ladder is just one incredibly frustrating session of "Waiting to Draw Leeroy Jenkins: The Video Game".

Unless you're up against a Druid or Mage, who end it on their own terms.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm a super casual player and was amazed today when I got my best arena run ever at 8 wins. Unexciting news for ya'll veterans I guess though ;D

Ran as mage and the backbone of my deck were 3 tazdingos, 3 water elementals, 2 flamestrikes and 2 fireballs. My three loses were first against a shaman (got owned hard, couldn't get past a fern creeper he kept buffing and reviving), a hunter (close game, but in the end I didn't tap into any of my board clears) and the last one, a mage who just spanked me.

Fun stuff =)

biaxident

I can't even think about going infinite anymore in arena, was averaging 5-7 wins before, now its down to maybe a 3 win average. Got fed up, pick mage, draft 2 flamestrikes, fireball, poly, pull off duplicate on sunwalkers and water ele's and still go 3-3 lol. Crazy

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I can't even think about going infinite anymore in arena, was averaging 5-7 wins before, now its down to maybe a 3 win average. Got fed up, pick mage, draft 2 flamestrikes, fireball, poly, pull off duplicate on sunwalkers and water ele's and still go 3-3 lol. Crazy

Arena is luck and skill both.

Try rubbing a rabbit's feet?

Climbing the ladder is just one incredibly frustrating session of "Waiting to Draw Leeroy Jenkins: The Video Game".

Unless you're up against a Druid or Mage, who end it on their own terms.

As Priest, I usually end it with Prophet Velen --> Mind Blast --> Holy Smite for 14 damage plus hit with whatever I have on the board. A little gimmicky, but fun.

What a shitty quest:
z8QjSX1.png

Could at least be worth 60 gold, 40 is just a slap in the face. Guess thats what I get for rerolling?

I spent the 20 bones on the dlc, I never buy dlc except for games I really like. Did you guys pay gold or hard earned dollars?

i had an iTunes giftcard.

ZealousD

What a shitty quest:

Could at least be worth 60 gold, 40 is just a slap in the face. Guess thats what I get for rerolling?

Yeah I think Spell Master is legitimately the worst quest in the game. Second worst is probably Only the Mighty (20 minions at 5+ mana).

Yeah I think Spell Master is legitimately the worst quest in the game. Second worst is probably Only the Mighty (20 minions at 5+ mana).

Most of the quests seem not very well thought out. Surely they could've made some more fun challenges? Maybe even some class-based challenges, like x healing or something.

I guess I just want more interesting ways to earn gold. But that doesn't make them more money, does it?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Most of the quests seem not very well thought out. Surely they could've made some more fun challenges? Maybe even some class-based challenges, like x healing or something.

I guess I just want more interesting ways to earn gold. But that doesn't make them more money, does it?

I don't want to be subjected to dumb gimmicks to complete my dailies, rerolling quests for classes I don't have cards for is bad enough. Playing and getting wins is enough.

Also, silly quests would probably make Blizz more money as people wouldn't want to do them.

Cipherr

I spent the 20 bones on the dlc, I never buy dlc except for games I really like. Did you guys pay gold or hard earned dollars?

i had an iTunes giftcard.

I went ahead and bought them too. Seemed better than spending what little gold I covet for cards value wise.

Tarazet

I paid the $20 for it and used my Gold for arena so I can hoard dust. I get enough entertainment out of the game that I don't mind throwing them a bone.

Heel

I...I tried Zoo and I like it.

Warlock is my least played class, but I had a quest. Then I got 5 straight wins. Then the gold I won from said quest went towards a single pack, and I opened a Cenarius.

Did I just sign a pact with the devil?

Ultrabum

I...I tried Zoo and I like it.

Warlock is my least played class, but I had a quest. Then I got 5 straight wins. Then the gold I won from said quest went towards a single pack, and I opened a Cenarius.

Did I just sign a pact with the devil?

I mean there's a reason it's popular. It's cheap and easy to do f2p and it wins games.

Cipherr

Fuck, just saw a bot for the first time on Zileas stream, it beat him playing a shitty zoo deck because Zilea drew badly.

Fucking awful goddamnit I HATE ZOO!

Heel

I mean there's a reason it's popular. It's cheap and easy to do f2p and it wins games.

Yeah, I get the appeal. To this point I've just been grinding away trying to build a decent card base and see what classes I like. At the very least, Zoo seems like a nice way to blow through quests until I have the ability to put something competitive together. Hell, I don't even have the Leeroy haha.

Cipherr

How can you tell it's a bot?

How the cards are played. Theres this awkward delay in between each attack or card play that appears to be random between 3 and 5 seconds. Doesnt matter whats on the board or what the situation is, (even if they have lethal by like 10 damage) theres this slow slow play. That, and he played the guy like 3 times and it was the same each. Also of course there's zero card hover or targeting ever. Like, never... theres just these long pauses between each move.

Its really obvious when you see it though.

Jedi2016

How the cards are played. Theres this awkward delay in between each attack or card play that appears to be random between 3 and 5 seconds. Doesnt matter whats on the board or what the situation is, (even if they have lethal by like 10 damage) theres this slow slow play. That, and he played the guy like 3 times and it was the same each. Also of course there's zero card hover or targeting ever. Like, never... theres just these long pauses between each move.

Damn, I didn't even know that was a thing. What's the point? I mean, it's not like you can sell gold, that's what bots are traditionally used for in most games (in my experience). Or is it just for losers who suck so bad but want to be able to brag that they're whatever-high level and are "so good" at the game? Shit, I suck and I know I suck. I just rank up to 20 so I can get the card back, and I'm good.

Ultrabum

Damn, I didn't even know that was a thing. What's the point? I mean, it's not like you can sell gold, that's what bots are traditionally used for in most games (in my experience). Or is it just for losers who suck so bad but want to be able to brag that they're whatever-high level and are "so good" at the game? Shit, I suck and I know I suck. I just rank up to 20 so I can get the card back, and I'm good.

I guess the point would be to leave it on 24/7 to grind the 10 gold from 3 wins? Dunno.

biaxident

LOL wow, guess i'll never concede when the opponent has clear lethal again. I was just chilling waiting to die, and he either dc'd or went afk and the turn timed out. So i used my board to kill him. Finally some good luck in arena, times are a changin.

luoapp

Just to design an AI can beat human player is interesting all by itself, imho. It is very possible after 1 or 2 years, AI player will sit on the top of the ladder.

Tarazet

I guess the point would be to leave it on 24/7 to grind the 10 gold from 3 wins? Dunno.

That's why there is a daily cap of 100 gold from those means.. they went so far to make botting not worth it that I can't believe anyone would bother with it. Maybe it's just grinding out the golden hero.

ZealousD

That's why there is a daily cap of 100 gold from those means.. they went so far to make botting not worth it that I can't believe anyone would bother with it.

That's still a pack a day. That gets you almost 3 times more gold than you could with quests alone. I totally see why somebody would do it.

zoukka

I'm pretty sure it was just a guy playing on ipad...

Tarazet

That's still a pack a day. That gets you almost 3 times more gold than you could with quests alone. I totally see why somebody would do it.

That's assuming that the AI wins 30 times a day. Let's say the average is 10 minutes per game.. that's 144 games per day which means the AI has to achieve more than a 20% win rate. And that's assuming that it can always find a matched partner at all times of the day or night.

If there's any justice, they'll find a way to just pit all the bots against each other in the darkest depths of latency hell.

Zemm

Some guy called Veem was streaming yesterday, started off as druid, got a few wins and loses then switched to Zoo because "it's more consistent, whatever you draw you're going to be able to play right away". The consistency is a massive factor in why it's so good + card draw hero power only plays into that.

NBtoaster

I think they are trying make zoo less frustrating. We have got a bunch more defensive options and the biggest one to come. And while there are some cards that are good in zoo like creeper, egg and chow, they are only good if you use them to control the board, and avoid face all the time. The Leper Gnome/Leeroy zoo variety should be even more terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom