• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kettch

Just played a Priest v Priest, and the opponent plays Ragnaros when I have 6 cards left in my draw.

The 4th to last card is Shadow Word Death, the second to last card is Big Game Hunter, and the last card is Shadow Word Death. -_-

Aylinato

Just played a Priest v Priest, and the opponent plays Ragnaros when I have 6 cards left in my draw.

The 4th to last card is Shadow Word Death, the second to last card is Big Game Hunter, and the last card is Shadow Word Death. -_-

In the current meta I run 2 BGH and two SWD

CoolOff

That was disgusting. Arena, opposing Priest:

Turn 9: Rag
Turn 10: Velen + Earthen ring on himself

I mean come on.

I still won.

ShinNL

The Shaman synergies with Feugen Stalagg and Sylvanas is so good :D :D

(Still need some sort of class healing to be true control)

ShinNL

If only Reincarnation would let you use Battlecries again!
Or maybe a neutral 0/1 minion for 1 mana that heals you for 5 if it dies or something :<

Just need.... something to work with. There's just no sustainability in a Shaman. Everyone bypasses taunts. Heals cannot be bypassed, hence I found so much success with my no-taunt Paladin deck. Just heal and play into the late game.

But it's such a shame to die by spells because Shaman is so fun to play now. I can only hope that I'm left at around 11-12 HP so I can do Molten Giant taunts and hope they don't burn through with spells.

My reactive Titan deck seems to be doing decently with strong Pyromancer moves and Ancestral Healing + Black Knight / Sylvanas + Reincarnation as removal. Even then I'm still burned to death by spells. The number of times I have a full board of taunts and still get burned by spell spam is so lame :< At least with Paladin I can answer with a heal and say 'nope'.

Come drink with me!

-brewmaster Aylinato
Yeah I don't know 8 mana for 6 heal equals a Holy Light for 2 mana xD

CoolOff

That was disgusting. Arena, opposing Priest:

Turn 9: Rag
Turn 10: Velen + Earthen ring on himself

I mean come on.

I still won.

Same run, Paladin with Rag + Tirion.

Won that too.

Goes to show, legendaries are really only 1 (or 2...) of 30 cards in arena. The rest are far more important.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shaman's inability to life gain is one of its defining characteristics. Giving them tools to play the attrition game like Warrior/Priest/Paladin/Druid will just lead to class homogenization...

Like in WoW.

Card has enough ridiculous synergies for its price as it is...

Yes, of course, but I need more!

On a serious note, something I've been wondering about, what are all the effects that are put on creatures where you get the benefit of silencing it. Examples:

Humility / Peacekeeper
Corruption
Freeze

I can't think of anything else. Still wondering about Wailing Soul but I don't see a point in having it right now. I think most Paladin decks run Kodos to combo with their spells and I haven't seen a freeze Mage in forever.

Yes, of course, but I need more!

On a serious note, something I've been wondering about, what are all the effects that are put on creatures where you get the benefit of silencing it. Examples:

Humility / Peacekeeper
Corruption
Freeze

I can't think of anything else. Still wondering about Wailing Soul but I don't see a point in having it right now. I think most Paladin decks run Kodos to combo with their spells and I haven't seen a freeze Mage in forever.

Blessing of Wisdom, Crazed Alchemist? Wailing Soul isn't any good to me either.

It can remove crappy deathrattles, which I guess was one reason they felt like adding it. It has synergy with stuff like the 5heal ghoul, deathlord, dancing swords and such. Pretty crappy overall though, extremely situational.

Hellfire, Soulfire, Discard the otherwise free Molten Giant out of something like 6 cards.

I conceded, cause clearly the game was not liking me.

Spent $10 yesterday to get the cards/dust needed to make Handlock and it's really just not consistent enough at the higher ranks right now. But playing Hunter or Zoo, etc. just isn't as fun :(

Kettch

I actually don't find myself needing or wanting heals as Shaman very much. Spirit Wolves, Sludge Belcher and Argus do a good job of protecting if you have control of a game. All of them double taunts for one card.

Card draw on the other hand...nothing is all that good really. Our lone class card, mana tide, is not very good in my opinion. Eggs and Spiders are pretty much required, and that's a lot of low attack early game already. What you want are things your opponent doesn't want to kill, so you can safely build up. Mana Tide really works against this.

healing totem used to heal your hero. so op.

I've won games because of the healing totem on minions. Now that is OP.

The best though is when a Priest has a Cleric out and it draws them cards.

Blessing of Wisdom, Crazed Alchemist? Wailing Soul isn't any good to me either.
I'd think it'd be better if it costed less with less stats, then you could use it more easily, but that's probably why it is the way it is.

I hope I at least see someone use a charge card, then the soul before attacking. That'll make my day.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Our lone class card, mana tide, is not very good in my opinion. Eggs and Spiders are pretty much required, and that's a lot of low attack early game already. What you want are things your opponent doesn't want to kill, so you can safely build up. Mana Tide really works against this.

Mana Tide is a great card. Stick it behind a taunt or two and it forces your opponent to use one of their removal cards (which they can't use against any of your other minions), and you have a guaranteed cycle.

Also, Shamans should be running two Azure Drakes in almost every deck. Card draw and spell power, so good. One of the best classes for Azure Drakes, next to Rogue, because spellpower stacks so well with shaman..

Gotchaye

This is the best I can do with a fast Mad Scientist Mage deck:

eq1aXF6.png

I just started the season so I can't say how well it works higher up; it's doing okay at rank 15 but it's not moving me up as quickly as if I were using a standard deck. When it works, it really works - it's really satisfying to suicide a Mad Scientist and maybe something else into the enemy's minions to clear the board, pull a Counterspell, and then play an Ethereal Arcanist on turn 3 or 4. The deck can play like you've spent twice as much mana as you've had, when everything clicks.

I don't like the lack of 1 drops, but it gets card hungry. The Harvest Golem and Acolyte of Pain are in there because I kept only being able to use 2 mana on turn 3, unless I wanted to just play a Secret (ick). Mostly this deck doesn't have a problem with Secrets building up in-hand - between the Mad Scientists, the Kirin Tor Mages, and the Sorcerer's Apprentices, you get them out pretty fast. Counterspell is the MVP secret. If I had Spellbenders I might put them in instead of Vaporize and maybe one of the Mirror Entities - protecting the Ethereal Arcanists is huge.

It destroys Miracle Rogue. It's all right against Warriors, Mages, and Shamans. Druids were tough.

I just had a crazy paladin vs mage match up.

He played antonidas and 2 mirror images...

I respond with equality consecrate.

Duplicate actives "oh god"

He plays a second antonidas (I guess the first played minion gets picked up now although it could be random I guess)

I play another equality consecrate, truesilver and start whacking away at face

He plays the third and 2 secrets, turned out to be mirror image and something not ice block

Next round I play a dancing swords, mirror image hits it. His turn he kills my board and fireballs my face once and hits with antonidas.

He is sitting at 5 hp with 1 secret. I am sitting at 15 hp knowing next turn there are 2 fireballs heading my way. I had a lay on hands which could have helped me survive and pop ice block (didn't know what it was at the time). But I decided to just go all in and play knife juggler and the few small minions I had in hand.

Was pretty crazy match up to win vs 3 antonidas played and like 7 fireballs collected.

Cipherr

I just started the season so I can't say how well it works higher up; it's doing okay at rank 15 but it's not moving me up as quickly as if I were using a standard deck. When it works, it really works - it's really satisfying to suicide a Mad Scientist and maybe something else into the enemy's minions to clear the board, pull a Counterspell, and then play an Ethereal Arcanist on turn 3 or 4. The deck can play like you've spent twice as much mana as you've had, when everything clicks.

I don't like the lack of 1 drops, but it gets card hungry. The Harvest Golem and Acolyte of Pain are in there because I kept only being able to use 2 mana on turn 3, unless I wanted to just play a Secret (ick). Mostly this deck doesn't have a problem with Secrets building up in-hand - between the Mad Scientists, the Kirin Tor Mages, and the Sorcerer's Apprentices, you get them out pretty fast. Counterspell is the MVP secret. If I had Spellbenders I might put them in instead of Vaporize and maybe one of the Mirror Entities - protecting the Ethereal Arcanists is huge.

It destroys Miracle Rogue. It's all right against Warriors, Mages, and Shamans. Druids were tough.

You should craft at least one spellbender. Its strange but noone expects it, while everyone expects the paladin "GET DOWN" secret. Nothing like a druid using Mark of the Wild or a Paladin using Kings on one of their minions only for it to get intercepted and put a 5/7 on your side of the board. I have had folks straight up concede after that happens. It also eats their attempts to use their removal (Hex/Poly). I love it to death in combination with Counterspell. So much removal gets eaten by them.

johnsmith

remember me
My new priest is getting wrecked by hunters, and that's all I seem to be playing. Assholes drawing their entire decks. Paladins are also a bad matchup, can't build a board when it can get wiped out so easily with equality.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

You're pretty loaded with 2 drops. If I were you I would swap the Loot Hoarders for Azure Drakes at least. I'm also not sure that I'm sold on the Faerie Dragons.

All my matches are pretty crazy with this deck I am playing with paladin. I threw stalagg and feugan in it. Vs a shaman he stupidly threw away both hexes. Well maybe not stupidly, the deck I am playing has a strong start and maybe he thought I was playing more aggressive paladin due to dancing swords, divine favor, and other low drops

Anyway, here are some crazy board states.

pala2_2.png

pala2_1.png

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So whats the word on the Stalagg and Feugen cards?

I struggled with deciding which 5 drops to use for a long ass time, but I've come to the conclusion that in most of my decks, Spectral Knight > Azure Drake. I suppose I'll have to start testing which I like more between Spectral Knight and Stalagg/Feugen since I don't really feel I can afford to have both in decks like ramp druid, control warrior, etc...

I'm leaning towards Stalagg/Feugen > Spectral Knight > Azure Drake though.

biaxident

Give shaman's chain heal imo, great spell in wow. Heal hero for 4, then a minion for 3, then 2, throw an overload of 2 on there have it cost like 3ish or something. Shaman's can heal well in wow, doesn't make sense why they can't here. Or even earth shield (think thats the name), every time your hit heal 3 hp, has 3 charges.

Fought against a pretty damn unlucky Druid earlier. It was constructed play and I was playing Priest. I used Thoughtsteal and ended up copying Feugen. Then when it killed it I used another Thoughtsteal and somehow got Stalaag. He ended up losing because he had nothing strong enough to kill Thaddius once I sacrified Stalaag for a strong minion trade.

Tarazet

Man, playing Warrior again is like going back in time.. I tried updating Reynad's old aggro deck, tried Colma's new Tempo with Death's Bite, tried a Control variant with two Zombie Chow.. they all feel so gutless and needlessly constrained, and it's frustrating compared with the other classes. Once you're behind, you can never recover. I had to unwind with a few games playing zoo just to blow off steam.

I'll bet that there are solutions somewhere. It can't really use weenies because of all the damage you do to your own minions, and loading it too much with late-game beef would make it unreliable in terms of survival.. but there are some really good cards like Battle Rage and Upgrade! that could make a big comeback.

biaxident

Specs in Hearthstone would be fun as hell!

I was just thinking that too, would add a crap ton of diversity to the game as well. Not sure how you would implement 3 different hero powers for each class though. Maybe when you level a class to a certain level you pick a spec, and it cost gold to respec? That'd be cool. But again, hard to implement lol

zulux21

i thought the animal companion card was supposed to summon a random beast...
instead it just keeps summoning the 2/4 monkey (4 times) that adds +1 attack to your minions or the 4/2 board with charge (2 times) o_O;

biaxident

i thought the animal companion card was supposed to summon a random beast...
instead it just keeps summoning the 2/4 monkey (4 times) that adds +1 attack to your minions or the 4/2 board with charge (2 times) o_O;

Huffer, Misha, and Leokk is all it gives. Lore wise those are rexxar's most trusted pets. The more you know (wow lore is actually pretty good)

Tarazet

ah I see. I suppose it's still decent then, but slightly misleading if you don't knwo about the lore :p

Webspinner, on the other hand, can put any beast card into your hand.. even if you didn't put it into your deck. King Krush, Mukla, Savanna Highmane, Angry Chicken..

johnsmith

remember me
Here's where I'm at with my priest deck. I managed to go up a rank, from 8 to 7, so it's not terrible. But definitely not where I want it to be yet. Does pretty well against zoo, but probably not as well as combo priest. It's very vulnerable to hunters due to the deck being based on keeping minions on the board, and can get wrecked by equality. Late game could be stronger too. Would love to fit in a Ragnaros, but not sure what I'd cut.
wnciSwv.png

johnsmith

remember me
A temple enforcer?

Do you really need 2?

Temple enforcers do work. Let your stuff on the board trade favorably and are a significant threat if not answered. Definitely happy with 2 of them. Great followup to loatheb because without spells and a minimal board the loatheb will probably live to the next round.

Lyng

I struggled with deciding which 5 drops to use for a long ass time, but I've come to the conclusion that in most of my decks, Spectral Knight > Azure Drake. I suppose I'll have to start testing which I like more between Spectral Knight and Stalagg/Feugen since I don't really feel I can afford to have both in decks like ramp druid, control warrior, etc...

I'm leaning towards Stalagg/Feugen > Spectral Knight > Azure Drake though.

I still feel Azure > Spectral in ramp druid. Azure + Swipe is such a strong removal. However right now I am experimenting with removing two drakes for Feugen and Stalagg, and removed one other card for a Bloodmage Thalnos.

johnsmith

remember me
Not sure how I feel about zombie chow. He's great early game, but definitely a liability late game. Though even then he's great with auchenai + circle of healing. 4 damage board clear + 5 damage to the face? Yes please.

Lyng

Not sure how I feel about zombie chow. He's great early game, but definitely a liability late game. Though even then he's great with auchenai + circle of healing. 4 damage board clear + 5 damage to the face? yes please.

Then again when a card is that reliant on 2 other cards its really too situational.
Also what do you remove from the priest deck to make room for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom