• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Zombie Chow is, as far as I can tell, a trap. 5 life is no joke, especially for aggro decks, which are the only decks that actually want to play him.

I don't think self-silencing is going to be a viable strat anytime soon but who knows.

johnsmith

remember me
Then again when a card is that reliant on 2 other cards its really too situational.
Also what do you remove from the priest deck to make room for it?

If I removed them I'd probably run holy smites instead. This combo did just win me a game vs a demon/handlock who taunted up so it definitely has its uses.

I was trying to make ancient watcher + wailing soul work with druid but I think it's too slow. It's really hard to have those two cards together. It might work better with warlock because of the hero power.

zoukka

I was trying to make ancient watcher + wailing soul work with druid but I think it's too slow. It's really hard to have those two cards together. It might work better with warlock because of the hero power.

You need more cards to silence for Wailing Soul to be worth it. Maybe Deathlord and Dancing Swords, but it all feels just too shaky.

Not sure how I feel about zombie chow. He's great early game, but definitely a liability late game. Though even then he's great with auchenai + circle of healing. 4 damage board clear + 5 damage to the face? Yes please.

In control match ups the hp meter isn't really important. I almost don't even care that it heals my opponent when I use it in my control paladin deck because my win condition is not to burst them down anyway.

Granted he was a bit stronger when I had 2 knife jugglers in my deck... talking paladin here so combos equality + juggler + minion spam board clear very well. Just ask Raxus :D

johnsmith

remember me
One deck this midrange priest is good against is control warrior. I've won every game against them, usually with close to full health.

johnsmith

remember me
Not a bad druid matchup either. Can easily stay out of combo range, and without hard removal they're forced to use the combo to clean up my huge hp minions.

Still tweaking but this is where I'm at now. Decided to drop the argus for yetis, and the watcher for another loot hoarder. I don't want to give up the early game so that's why I'm running those instead of azure drakes. Also got rid of zombie chows for smites. Also got rid silence for a spellbreaker. I like the body it leaves behind, and the weak 3 hp can be fixed with an hp buff.

Made it to rank 6.

btkIMbR.png

Really wish I could fit in some stranglethorn tigers and darkscale healers.

ShinNL

I was wondering, isn't Kel'Thuzad going to be a staple in Druid Force Roar decks with the next wing? Turn 8 securing your minions position... it's going to be so annoying. Even if it dies, how many classes can remove an 8/8 and whatever sticky minions you've put in the previous turns? And damn druids always seem to have Force Roar in their hand with only 1/3rd of their deck drawn.

zoukka

I was wondering, isn't Kel'Thuzad going to be a staple in Druid Force Roar decks with the next wing? Turn 8 securing your minions position... it's going to be so annoying. Even if it dies, how many classes can remove an 8/8 and whatever sticky minions you've put in the previous turns? And damn druids always seem to have Force Roar in their hand with only 1/3rd of their deck drawn.

Of course they have it always, they run two copies of the combo. And Kel is just unplayable if you don't already have a board, I don't know how you could fit it in Druid.

Xanathus

Heh, Hunter wrecks the current Zoo meta that uses Naxx cards because they tend to have a slower damage ramp-up and rely on Eggs for anti-AOE which is fine against most classes except Hunter's AOE clear can just ignore the eggs. You just need to get the UTH + Buzzard combo.

Cipherr

So Thad bugs out on passive auras from the Murlocs or something?

Crazy as hell. I spent 30 minutes on Thad today getting him down. I insisted on trying it with a non-specific deck, it didn't work out well, eventually played a pally with some buffs and finished it easily

Tacitus_

Ugh, the heroic bosses in this wing were such shite. Thaddius was cool, but the other three were basically "hope you have cards x and y by turn 2, otherwise you lose by turn 5".

Especially Gluth with his fucking weapon of doom.

In Arena, a Paladin hit me with Reckless Rocketeer, then Brewmaster'd it back to his hand. Next turn, hit me again, and played another Brrewmaster to return it. Third turn, he hit me again with it putting me within lethal.

I was a Shaman with Reincarnate in my hand, a couple minions on the board... and drew my Reckless Rocketeer. Played it, hit to face, Reincarnated, hit to face again, then finished him with my two minions on the board.

Karma! Reckless is like a poor man's Leeroy.

Tarazet

Zombie Chow is, as far as I can tell, a trap. 5 life is no joke, especially for aggro decks, which are the only decks that actually want to play him.

I don't think self-silencing is going to be a viable strat anytime soon but who knows.

Untrue. It's control decks that want to play this. I put them in Control Warrior and they definitely had a huge impact on early game presence.

Water

Triple poison putting in work. Having a poison in the starting hand is so good. As usual, I didn't get a single coin-scrub opening, and actually had slow starts in most matches, only getting tempo rolling in my favor around turns 3-4.

Not shown: Boulderfist Ogre, Argent Commander, Sea Giant, Molten Giant

J5ATPgm.jpg

I tried zombie chow in zoo but it seemed problematic against slower decks since all the early damage you do is often negated when they finally draw some kind of clear or trade a bigger minion. and it has a similar late game drawback to flame, imp just in reverse. ended up just taking him out. undertaker seems like the new card to be using.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Went through the latest heroic bosses last night. I go into them spoiler free and make my own decks. And I've generally loved them. I think making weird/unique decks to work around their cheating overpowered cheatingness is a lot of fun.

But man... Heroic Gluth put an end to that enjoyment. I beat him... finally... but are there legitimate ways to approach that fight that don't just rely on getting really lucky? Since I don't own harrison my only way to deal with his weapon, of which I think he has 4 copies in his deck, is ooze (subtracting 1 durability with the pirate just isn't enough). And so:
if he starts with jaws and I didn't start with ooze: game over
if he starts with 2 jaws: game over

And the above two situations happened over, and over, and over again. I did finally beat him but I had to concede on turns 2/3 something like 30 times mulliganing exclusively for ooze until the right conditions just happened to come up.

slayn

Kodo'd a Deathlord

So....much...value.....hrggnnnn

On a side note, when Deathlord summons a Knife Juggler, it triggers itself.
I think it's the kodo that triggered the knife juggler in the same way killing deathlord with a spell will trigger a pyromancer.

It goes:
start playing kodo
deathlord dies
knife juggler enters plays
end playing kodo
the games sees this as the knife juggler being finished coming into play before the kodo finished coming into play

Zafir

Yeah I always thought zombie chow wouldn't be as good in zoo as people seemed to think. I mean it's amazing if you get it in your opening hand, but later on you don't want to be healing them for 5. In some cases healing them for 5 can probably lose you the game if it's close.

I only see zombie chow working in Priest personally as a 1 mana 5 damage nuke with auchenai.
I think it's the kodo that triggered the knife juggler in the same way killing deathlord with a spell will trigger a pyromancer.

It goes:
start playing kodo
deathlord dies
knife juggler enters plays
end playing kodo
the games sees this as the knife juggler being finished coming into play before the kodo finished coming into play
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is. Black Knight was the same on Forsen's stream I think it was.

frequency

I did finally beat him but I had to concede on turns 2/3 something like 30 times mulliganing exclusively for ooze until the right conditions just happened to come up.

That's generally how the "hard" heroics have all been for me. Terrible design in my opinion.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Late game topdick tho.

Yeah it's a dead card in the late game. Especially in arena if you get into topdeck wars. I don't get the love affair with this card.

Zombie Chow is a Auchenai Soulpriest combo card!

You pretty much have to play the zombie chow first, though, otherwise your soulpriest may not live long enough for the combo to work. And/or neither will the zombie chow live long enough for your soulpriest to be played. Combo effects that take multiple turns to execute have a very high failure rate.

I mean, if you really want to get cute, you could always play velen and turn the zombie chow into a pyroblast.

Yeah it's a dead card in the late game. Especially in arena if you get into topdeck wars. I don't get the love affair with this card.

You pretty much have to play the zombie chow first, though, otherwise your soulpriest may not live long enough for the combo to work. And/or neither will the zombie chow live long enough for your soulpriest to be played. Combo effects that take multiple turns to execute have a very high failure rate.

I mean, if you really want to get cute, you could always play velen and turn the zombie chow into a pyroblast.

Velen affects spells and hero power, not deathrattles.

Minsc

Gold Member

I'd expect it to be run alongside a soulpriest+CoH board clear, for 1 extra mana doing 5 damage. Alternatively, if you get both by mid-late game, you have a 10-damage burst for 6 mana, or you can continue to hold them for a 20-damage burst for 10 mana if you also run baron rivendare too. Or just 2 mind blasts instead of Rivendare for the same 10 mana 20 damage.

So if you don't get to play Zombie Chow turn 1, you can simply hold it for your end-game win condition.

slayn

That's generally how the "hard" heroics have all been for me. Terrible design in my opinion.
The difference with the others, I feel, is that there are a lot of different ways to deal with their overpowered benefits. Against thaddius, for example, you can tackle the two guys combined with the hp/attack reversing in all kinds of creative ways. But in the gluth fight, there is only ooze.

There aren't creative tactics. There aren't other work arounds. Only ooze.

Using is already way effective in priest. It makes the zombie chow a bigger target for removal than otherwise it would be because when combo'd with auchenai it represents a 10 point swing, where you would be up by about 5 if you killed it before, and down by 5 if you kill it after or it dies after.

frequency

It's 1 mana cost. If you don't get it out on Turn 1, just hold it for the combo. It doesn't necessarily have to take multiple turns. And because of that combo, it's actually useful later game too rather than just early game.

I think it's a nice Priest card.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So if you don't get to play Zombie Chow turn 1, you can simply hold it for your end-game win condition.

Having a dead card in your hand is stupid. I'd rather have a card that can threaten my opponent or answer a threat rather than holding a card that might work like mind blast.

ViviOggi

I have a 2/2 Chow and a 3/4 Dark Cultist on board against this rank 4 zookeeper's average board (Flame Imp - Alpha Wolf - Squire - Voidwalker). His turn, he thinks for a while and then kills the Cultist with his buffed Flame Imp. I say thank you and he concedes.

scy

The problem is it's a turn 1 or end-game combo card. The entire time between the two it doesn't really do too much. I think the card has possible merit in Priest still but the card does tend to do nothing most of the game which really hurts Priest.

scy

I think mad scientist might end up being a little broken in hunter. it's basically a free innervate->trap.

There's a reason why I was so excited for Mad Scientist. It's a lot of power in the card with the tradeoff being a loss of choice ... except you can build the deck around the lack of choice. It's a "plain" card but it really does have the ability to change the meta a bit.

There's a reason why I was so excited for Mad Scientist. It's a lot of power in the card with the tradeoff being a loss of choice ... except you can build the deck around the lack of choice. It's a "plain" card but it really does have the ability to change the meta a bit.

which is why I don't think it's completely broken. you can still get an explosive trap against a control warrior and just proc all their minions. so you're basically forced to not play him unless you know you're going to get freezing or misdirection.

the card also has the benefit of thinning your deck so I was playing without tracking but I don't know if that's correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom