• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBtoaster

I like when people waste a silence on Feugen or Stalagg. Only the last one to die needs to be silenced, silencing one when the other isn't played does nothing to stop Thaddius coming later.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Zoolock is much more able to use commons and rares in an efficient way than any of my potential decks.

I guess you should give up and uninstall the game, then. Don't seek any deck advice or anything, because zoo is unbeatable.

I guess you should give up and uninstall the game, then. Don't seek any deck advice or anything, because zoo is unbeatable.

Boy, overreaction much? You haven't given any deck advice. You just said "it's beatable" without elaboration. Any deck advice I've been given have instructed to get specific rares/epics/legendaries to combat Zoo. Which basic cards are you saying will cream it then?

gutshot

Boy, overreaction much? You haven't given any deck advice. You just said "it's beatable" without elaboration. Any deck advice I've been given have instructed to get specific rares/epics/legendaries to combat Zoo. Which basic cards are you saying will cream it then?

Mid-range hunter is probably the best cheap deck to go up against Zoo. UTH is a selective AoE, which means you can avoid hatching eggs and still maintain board control.

ZealousD

Which basic cards are you saying will cream it then?

Nothing "creams" zoo. Certainly class based board removals will punish them. Removal cards like Wrath and Lightning Bolt will help. You can also use solid taunt cards like Sludge Belcher or Unstable Ghoul. So far you haven't posted any of your decks so I can't give specifics. Different cards can work with different decks.

General cards that work well against zoo:

Good taunt mobs: Senjin, Belcher(better option than Senjin nowadays), Deathlord(kinda gambly, if they pull a doomguard you lose), Sunwalker, Earth Elemental(if crusher shaman), Tyrion, Druid of the Claw, Cenarius, Ancient of War, Abomination(prefer Belcher but an interesting choice if you don't run many minions yourself), Ancient Watcher(with sunfury/argus), Feral Spirit, Mirror Images(not a great one but good for stalling early game damage), Houndmaster, Unstable Ghoul and Argus to give everything else taunt.

Good board wiping cards: Consecration, Equality, Truesilver Champion(over 2 turns but also heals and can take bigger mobs), Blizzard, Flamestrike, Multishot, Explosive Trap, Holy Nova, Circle of Healing(with Auchenai), Lightning Storm, Forked Lightning, Hellfire, Shadowflame, Cleave, FFiery War Axe, Whirlwind(with spellpower or to activate various conditions like execute or generate armor/draw cards/buff your own mobs), Brawl, Fan of Knives, Blade Flurry, Swipe, Starfall, Force of Nature(used as a clearing, can be combined with Power of the Wild or Savage Roar later on). Note that Wild Pyromancer is almost a must for a lot of these combos and is generally THE card you want to add if you want to wipe the board via spells, since it generally adds 1dmg to your combo but can also be used with other cheaper spells to do a 1dmg wipe earlier or can be used to do more damage than 1 in later turns.

Good recovery cards: Not necessary but these help, they're basically heals. Healing Touch, Ancient of Lore, Holy Light, Lay on Hands, Guardian of Kings, Ice Armor, Shield Block, Holy Fire, Warrior and Priest hero power(and druid to an extent if attacking face/not attacking), Alexstraza, Jaraxus. Also Far Seer which is the only neutral heal that doesn't suck, if your deck is kinda weak to zoo, having a few far seers is helpful since they put a decent mob on turn 3 on the board while also healing.

Basically it's a matter of assessing how weak your deck is in early game and how to counter that by adding specific cards that help. You can go for the taunt way which generally trades efficiently but takes a bit to get going(most of the good taunts cost 4mana or more), you definitely want some board clearing cards which are mostly class specific cards and if you feel your early is bad you should certainly consider pyromancers on top. Recovery cards is very class specific but they're a good way to cancel a bad start by healing all the damage up, or stall the hp race until you get to later turns.

Note that the more you focus on beating zoo, the weaker you'll be against lategame decks like most control decks. You can build a deck that will trash zoo most of the time but it probably won't do that well against other type of decks, it's a matter of priority. If you do find yourself playing zoo more than anything else and it's not just an impression, then do stack as many anti zoo cards as you can. Having a deck with a dozen of taunts, a few board wipes, a few lategame threats and some heals is probably gonna crush zoo everytime unless you get horrible draws. Druid, Priest and Paladin I think are the best choices, in control decks. Priest would add a few cards that they usually don't use for Zoo counters specifically, such as Shadow Madness.

Cipherr

Feels undercosted to me but I'm sure it's bad as often as it's good.

ehh, I mean its two cards for... 3 mana? Kind of like the Mages Arcane Intellect. The difference being two cards from your own constructed/chosen arena deck versus two random from the opponents remaining deck. I think its real power is the ability to pull over class specific cards. Sucks playing a Priest with Pyros and stuff like that. Also they can get so lucky and pull your removal or board clears in addition to having SW:pain and SW:Death in their own decks.

scy

The other part of it is that they're "free" cards: They don't come from your deck. Using Thoughtsteal puts you at 32 cards they had to deal with (31 if you count one of them as replacing Thoughtsteal).

ShinNL

I like when people waste a silence on Feugen or Stalagg. Only the last one to die needs to be silenced, silencing one when the other isn't played does nothing to stop Thaddius coming later.
On that note, any clue how it works with sheep or frog? I got my Stalagg sheeped so I thought my Feugen wasn't worth playing anymore. Stalagg didnt technically die, it just turned into a sheep that's no longer the Stalagg I used to know :<

JesseZao

On that note, any clue how it works with sheep or frog? I got my Stalagg sheeped so I thought my Feugen wasn't worth playing anymore. Stalagg didnt technically die, it just turned into a sheep that's no longer the Stalagg I used to know :<

He didn't die, so no dice.

gutshot

The other part of it is that they're "free" cards: They don't come from your deck. Using Thoughtsteal puts you at 32 cards they had to deal with (31 if you count one of them as replacing Thoughtsteal).

I think any card like that is going to be worthwhile. That's why Webspinner is so good. Yeah, it's only a 1/1 and you're relying on RNG to draw something good, but even if you don't it's an extra card. 32 > 30

frequency

I thought I'd check on how Trump was progressing. Looks like he gave up on Priest after dropping to like 380 or something.

Not sure if he's still trying for top 16. He's playing some Warrior pirate deck now.

Zafir

I thought I'd check on how Trump was progressing. Looks like he gave up on Priest after dropping to like 380 or something.

Not sure if he's still trying for top 16. He's playing some Warrior pirate deck now.

When I checked earlier he said he was stopping priest because there was too many hunters about which destroyed his priest deck. Guess warrior aggro is his answer.

f0rk

I think any card like that is going to be worthwhile. That's why Webspinner is so good. Yeah, it's only a 1/1 and you're relying on RNG to draw something good, but even if you don't it's an extra card. 32 > 30

This concept only makes any sense if you are guaranteed to be able to draw and play your whole deck every game.

Acinixys

Mulligan in arena

Get this

Thanks Blizzard

YJcHtng.jpg

Haunted

Not sure why it's so much fun, but I love watching pros/good streamers playing through the Naxx singleplayer. The reactions when encountering OP hero powers is hilarious.

I know that Trump, Amaz (and Day9) regularly put videos up of them clearing Naxx SP - any other recommendations?

Its hilarious to open the Thaddeus Heroic matchup by misdirecting the two goons into each other.
:lol that's genius.

ZealousD

Well, the last few WoW collectors editions are so mass produced, should you ever want it, it'll be there for you.

I have to maintain a safe distance of 5 meters from any copy of World of Warcraft.

The game is hazardous to my health and wellbeing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Should probably create two categories. One for "PvP" and one for "PvE".

We WoW now even further.

Ugh. Hearthpwn's decks feature is pure fucking garbage now that it's crowded by heroic naxx decks.
Yeah that's a pain in the ass. Hearthpwn is pretty worthless now because of that and because the decks change every week with the new cards and the way they present decks doesn't keep up well.

A better way to netdeck is just to copy streamers and make a couple meta replacements to suit your needs. Less popular streamers like gaara and dog will often help you make meta choices if you ask nicely.

centracore

Pretty wicked card back for getting the Collector's Edition of Warlords of Draenor. Too bad I will never get it. =(

@Warcraft: And yes, the #Warlords themed @PlayHearthstone card back comes with both the Collector's Edition and Digital Deluxe. pic.twitter.com/XuDuOSHKAp

Looks like it will also be included in the digital deluxe edition, good chance I'll be getting that over the standard edition now.

Tarazet

It's still about board control but it overwhelms earlier / faster now than before. It doesn't have to develop into resilient minions but can just from the start put on pressure and kill things played while developing more aggression.

Though, yeah, it's getting to the point that it clears the board simply because it has to.

A lot of zoo players just go to face, though, and certain minions like Voidwalker and Defender of Argus are so strong that it's damned near impossible to punish them for it. By the time you start to turn things around, you have less than 10 life and then each turn hinges on the Warlock's top-decking skill.

Personally, I play Zoo like a control deck, and the new iteration with Naxx cards is just as good at that as the others always were. Better, really, because of the speed that it builds its board presence.

johnsmith

remember me
This deck is pretty popular amongst the Druid decks on Hearthpwn but I've never actually seen it on ladder. It's a Miracle Token Druid. I play it myself when I'm doing Druid dailies and the combos you can get with it are pretty gross. I wonder why I don't see it more often? Anybody else try it out?

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/53778-miracle-token-druid-easy-legend

I played it about 3 times last night with my priest, or something similar. Beat it each time.

biaxident

Pretty awesome when someone requests an invite not to gloat, but to have a 30 min conversation about music. (Name in game is Ytse for those who know what that means). Good times, had about 5-10 ppl in wow do the same to me to over the years.

JesseZao

Pretty wicked card back for getting the Collector's Edition of Warlords of Draenor. Too bad I will never get it. =(

The first paywalled card back appears. I'm surprised they didn't go with a golden promo card for the bonus. It would keep the content in the everything can be earned position if you could craft the regular version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom