• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a match vs zoo who thought it was okay to go face while I had an azure drake on board (he had a loatheb and doomguard + knife juggler).

I played echoing ooze, defender of argus on azure drake and the echoing ooze, then played a cold blood on the echoing ooze to get me 3 taunts, 5/2 (azure drake killed knife juggler), and 2x 6/3 taunts. LMAO, I love this deck cause of crazy plays like that. Echoing ooze + cold blood traded for the loatheb and doomguard and I still had a taunted azure drake to enable spell powered blade flurry + shivs, and I cleared board next turn, despite nerubian egg, and played 2x defias ringleader for kicks, even though I had another DOA.

Also this fucker had a turn 1 flame imp into turn 2 double undertaker!

Blizzcon '15 Update: Kinect mod has enabled us to allow control of cards and attacks with gestures! Opponents will stand facing each other in an arena and sling attacks and throw down minions to win! Excite!

Additionally hearthstone players will use kinect to play the game with just dance gestures.

I feel like they really don't know how to furnish the room for Hearthstone tourneys.

Seems like they really like the Inn/Tavern vibe. I think it's not bad at all in theory, but there have got to be some ways to improve upon it in practice. They should hire an interior designer.

ViviOggi

This Koar video I cry evrrtim
SLx19c3.gif

Is that the slightly overweight guy from yesterday? Honestly, it looks like he has had hair transplantation recently or something.
It's Realz, he's been part of the HS scene since the first Fight Nights and recently got a job at Blizzard. He usually wears a cap but his hair has always looked like this. He really should just shave it all.

Interfectum

It's Realz, he's been part of the HS scene since the first Fight Nights and recently got a job at Blizzard. He usually wears a cap but his hair has always looked like this. He really should just shave it all.

Yeah it's a distracting balding pattern. If you're going to be on camera just shave it off.

depths20XX

Yeah it's a distracting balding pattern. If you're going to be on camera just shave it off.

A man who hasn't come to terms with the fact that he's balding, so he hides it under a cap and pretends it isn't happening.

I know those types. I work with a guy like that.

ViviOggi

Jesus if you're still not going to have a spectator mode ready for a $250k developer-sponsored tournament at least instruct your players to mouse over Mad Scientist secrets

CoolOff

Kaor seems like such a nice guy. :3 I want him to win so he can open that shop with his wife and kid to sell "gadgets".

K A O R B O Y S

I love holding a loatheb in mulligan vs paladin (cause I only have 4 cards 5 cost and up) and then I got ragnaros and azure drake. The chances of that happening feels like... astronomical. And this guy ran blessing of wisdom TT.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Never seen someone so hype for their own work.
Love that Ben Brode dude.

Zeroth

I'm expecting it not to be a huge grind to get some decent cards.

I don't know from the perspective of a player starting out, but at least the game allows you to create your own cards with dust. That said, it doesn't have to be a grind. Wait three days, do the dailies, save or use the gold to buy packs. Forcing yourself to get gold and stuff is a quick way to suck any fun from the game.

I'm expecting it not to be a huge grind to get some decent cards.

But it is a f2p. Dropping some money into the game will go pretty far at least.

I'm speaking from the perspective of a player who only spent 20 bucks and it didn't really take that long to get competent decks. I think the best way to learn the game, after learning the basics very well, is through arena where card collection doesn't matter and you play a wide variety of decks. This also helps you build your card collection the best.

So my advice is to spend like 10-20 bucks just on arena, just to learn it well. And then over time build up a strong collection from doing arena without spending money. Just save all the gold you make from every arena (especially the ones you spent money on) and you'll be able to do a ton of arenas before your gold runs out. If you're good at it, you can pretty much play arena endlessly because of gold you earn from quests. Just don't burn yourself out.

Starting now or starting in beta is not really gonna make a difference. Even in beta when I started people had huge collections. The differences now actually benefit for the most part. You can cycle quests, hit 12 wins in arena, and there are good deck tracking apps that help you play the game and they are legitimately allowed in play.

You'd still have to put in the same amount of time or money whether you start now or a year ago. Plus the availability of naxxramas makes it possible so that you can work towards specific decks that use those cards without relying on RNG or having to dust cards.

In fact, if you're gonna spend money on the game, naxxramas might be the best investment towards cash per card received. Although I still stick by my advice to spend it on arena, naxxramas is an alternative.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
The basic free to play cycle of someone new to hearthstone should be:
Tutorial
Play against the AI to get a feel for the game and decide which classes you like
Get those classes to level 10
Play a few rounds of arena
Decide if you want to keep playing. If yes, you have now finished the 'demo' of hearthstone and its time to buy it for $50
If paying $50 is bad/disgusting to you, then collectable card games probably aren't for you?

I don't really see why that's a big deal personally. I guess because I came from magic where hearthstone's gold system was incredibly lenient compared to the $1000+ I probably spent on magic because there was no option except walk to the store and spend $.

rac

Banned
Sorry guys didn't want to get the impression that I'm completely new. I have some decent netdecks. I guess I'm just frustrated.

If paying $50 is bad/disgusting to you, then collectable card games probably aren't for you?

I think I bought a pack of 7 and Naxx, don't really want to dump anymore money than that except for other expansions.

The basic free to play cycle of someone new to hearthstone should be:
Tutorial
Play against the AI to get a feel for the game and decide which classes you like
Get those classes to level 10
Play a few rounds of arena
Decide if you want to keep playing. If yes, you have now finished the 'demo' of hearthstone and its time to buy it for $50

I don't really see why that's a big deal personally. I guess because I came from magic where hearthstone's gold system was incredibly lenient compared to the $1000+ I probably spent on magic because there was no option except walk to the store and spend $.

I disagree in that you must spend money. It is all about your priorities.

If you care to make a big collection fast, then you'll want to spend at least some money. 50 is way more than necessary but a good amount to drop if you want to get into constructed as fast as you can. I don't think that is really a smart move though because you can only make like 1... maybe 2 decks, and you don't really know if those decks will be good for long or even if you'll like it much.

If you aren't in a rush to get into constructed or don't want to spend a lot of money, you can still do very well in this game. It seems like you're saying you must spend lots of money or this game isn't for you, but that just isn't true due to arena and quests.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I disagree in that you must spend money. It is all about your priorities.

If you care to make a big collection fast, then you'll want to spend at least some money. 50 is way more than necessary but a good amount to drop if you want to get into constructed as fast as you can. I don't think that is really a smart move though because you can only make like 1... maybe 2 decks, and you don't really know if those decks will be good for long or even if you'll like it much.

If you aren't in a rush to get into constructed or don't want to spend a lot of money, you can still do very well in this game. It seems like you're saying you must spend lots of money or this game isn't for you, but that just isn't true due to arena and quests.
I guess I just don't understand the mindset where someone values their time so little that they'd rather struggle and get frustrated for hours and hours with very few cards than just drop $50.

johnsmith

remember me
I started playing in March and probably got all playable legendaries by August. I never missed a daily, but only hit the 100 gold cap when I was pushing for gold portraits some weekends. I only spent $10 total on some arena runs. I've got about 5k dust saved up. But stockpiling gold now. Got 2k now, will probably have over 5k before the end of the year. Blizzard is so slow I'll probably have 10k before the next expansion comes out.

I guess I just don't understand the mindset where someone values their time so little that they'd rather struggle and get frustrated for hours and hours with very few cards than just drop $50.

I've played a bunch of f2ps where you can earn everything via just playing the game. When you're in it for the long run, you can earn everything you want over time anyway. I think with the right mind set and the right approach, you really don't have to spend money. Like, you aren't suddenly gonna be good by dropping 50 bucks. The game really isn't designed that way.

But if you're in a rush and want more cards now, I think buying cards is perfectly fine.

Xanathus

Ok I'm really glad that Brode isn't casting after this because he's way too obnoxious and doesn't actually add anything insightful to the commentary, he literally just sits there and laughs to what other people say.

Slashlen

I haven't spent a dime, and the grind's been fine for me. You just have to set your expectations and decide how much you want out of the game. I started playing in late April. At this point, I have Naxx, almost all of the commons, half the rares, maybe a fifth of the epics, and 4 legendaries(plus enough dust to make 1 more, haven't crafted anything). I played some arena for a while, but have settled into a habit of doing daily quests every few days and just buying packs. As of this week, I'm stopping to hoard for the expansion.

The grind hasn't been bad for me since I haven't actually played that much. My decks aren't exactly competitive, I tend to hover around rank 15. I've just accepted that this way it's just going to be a long time before I have a full set, but I enjoy the game as is. If I want to play a bit more, I just burn gold on an arena.

br3wnor

Are you guys watching this on a specific stream or is it through blizzcon ticket? Got 2 hours to kill in class, would love to watch

CoolOff

I think I've chosen Ancient Watcher 3 times as the absolute first pick in Arena now, where I don't see a single fucking taunt-giver or silence-card for the next 29 cards. Blizzard pls.

I was watching this set while at the gym. I was surprised when priest beat rogue, but much more suprised when shaman beat priest.

Also, I am rooting for strifecro. People been putting kolento on a pedastal too much!

edit:
And he just won!

Rutti

I recently got my first legendary(not counting naxx) from a pack and ofcourse it was Cho...
I guess I have to shove it to some deck just to feel some value.

Xanathus

I recently got my first legendary(not counting naxx) from a pack and ofcourse it was Cho...
Cho is actually good in zoo since your only spells are usually soulfire and mortal coil, it sort of works as a shield bearer as well.

br3wnor

I got Cho the other night (first Leg in like a month), tried really hard to justify it in one of my decks, couldn't do it. Even when you steal spells, if you use them while he's still on the board, you just give your opponent more of the same spell.

***Is there a set schedule for these matches? I can't watch with audio so just seeing all this interview promo shit after the Strifeco match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom