• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

He was too afraid even in the times where he already delayed too much. At one point I believe he had the warlock at 14, could have hit with the slime to 13 for lethal next turn with holy fire but still didn't attack at all.

Basically he was so afraid of a move that was going to happen at SOME point that he delayed so long that his opponent got all the cards he needed to pull off the move he was trying to avoid. It was a total misplay and goes to prove why you need to go in for a kill when you have the chance. He already reached a point that his field was going to be cleared either way. He should have taken advantage of it when he had the chance. Thank god for the Harrison or he would have died long ago.

Hopefully RunandGun settles his nerves by next weekend. I mean, if he's misplaying so bad when at the smaller scale event, how is he going to play at Blizzcon? And against Kolento?

Kolento winning it all is really dependent on his druid deck showing some results, because it has not been working at all in both matches he's played.

7enRNnZ.jpg

Got this pack from a 6-3 Druid Arena run. One of my better packs ever especially because I didn't have Grom yet. Warrior control deck here I come.

Xanathus

Just beat a handlock as priest by thoughtstealing a siphon soul to clear a giant, getting ysera awakens as my only dream card before it was destroyed, thoughtstealing a molten giant, using awakens + holy nova to clear his board and playing a free molten giant.

Xanathus

I find it more enjoyable to play at the higher ranks because you see more unorthodox decks or budget versions, and you also encounter other players who have legend-level control decks who don't care about rank so you can get more entertaining matches. Only problem is that I don't really want to concede every two matches, it gets annoying.

centracore

I think it's pretty safe to say that the next Hearthstone expansion is going to be announced at Blizzcon this weekend, but when does everyone think it will actually launch? I'm hoping for a launch by the end of the year but that might be unrealistic knowing Blizzard.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the next Hearthstone expansion is going to be announced at Blizzcon this weekend, but when does everyone think it will actually launch? I'm hoping for a launch by the end of the year but that might be unrealistic knowing Blizzard.

I anticipate it will launch around March 2015 at the earliest.

Rumored card:

Hearthstone-card-2.jpg

Lolwhat.

We've discussed this already, but unless this also is a sign that the Coin will no longer count as a spell, well, a lot of shenanigans will occur with this, namely, giving players infinite mana and also filling up the hand of whoever played Gallywix.

Personally... I think the card is too good anyway. It's got a Boulderfist Ogre's stats (with slightly skewed distribution) with what I'd say is amazing text, especially if the Coin is nerfed to no longer being a spell.

Majine

Banned
We've discussed this already, but unless this also is a sign that the Coin will no longer count as a spell, well, a lot of shenanigans will occur with this, namely, giving players infinite mana and also filling up the hand of whoever played Gallywix.

Personally... I think the card is too good anyway. It's got a Boulderfist Ogre's stats (with slightly skewed distribution) with what I'd say is amazing text, especially if the Coin is nerfed to no longer being a spell.

Well, coin shouldn't be counted as a spell IMO. That was a stupid advantage for Player 2.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It was the only thing keeping player 2's win rate, on average, close to that of player 1.

It felt worse to be on the receiving end, sure, but the numbers proved it worked.

I wonder what else has changed for them to backpedal this decision, which was logical move in Beta. Maybe Undertaker is warping the winrates.

Majine

Banned
It was the only thing keeping player 2's win rate, on average, close to that of player 1.

It felt worse to be on the receiving end, sure, but the numbers proved it worked.

I wonder what else has changed for them to backpedal this decision, which was logical move in Beta. Maybe Undertaker is warping the winrates.
If it brought winrates for Player 2 in line with 1 that just proves there's inbalance elsewhere. Having an extra spell because you're p2 is pretty nuts in context with Gadgetzan Auctioneer for example.

I seriously doubt they'll change coin being a spell but frankly I think COULD be a good thing, but mainly because wild pyro coin combos are really obnoxious. Priest manages to get like 3 of the crazy aoe combos due to wild pyro, auchenai+circle, and holy nova. It is probably even better then handlock's set of aoes.

I seriously doubt they'll change coin being a spell but frankly I think COULD be a good thing, but mainly because wild pyro coin combos are really obnoxious. Priest manages to get like 3 of the crazy aoe combos due to wild pyro, auchenai+circle, and holy nova. It is probably even better then handlock's set of aoes.

Yeah, if Coin is removed as a spell, I'll be sad as a frequent Priest player. Turn 2 Pyro, Coin, Power Word: Shield was my middle-finger to the first 2-3 minions played by a Zoo deck.

Haly

If it brought winrates for Player 2 in line with 1 that just proves there's inbalance elsewhere.
Yes. It's the intrinsic imbalance between going first and going second in a turn-based game, and this is true for every such game in existence. This is not unique to Hearthstone, and it's why almost all competitive turn-based games require players to play from "both sides" after the initial order is set.

Haunted

There are only three types of cards at three moment, right? Weapons, spells and minions.

No way they're introducing a fourth or make an exception just for the coin.

If there's a fourth category coming, I think it'll be items/consumables. Though I can't really suss out how they would work differently compared to spells in terms of board impact.

If they do items / consumables, then they'd just be spells that workaround current spell rules. They'd have to re-write a whole new rule book in how everything interacts with everything else.

Have to remember though, one of them main pillars to HearthStone is that it's simple and easy to learn. Even that Gallywix card, it can lead to some crazy and interesting plays, but the card itself is easy to understand.

I guess gallywix would be a decent card assuming the coin is no longer a spell. Kills a lot of midrange minions with 5 hp and survives. Somewhat protected against spell removal. I am starting to like it.

kirblar

Let's be real- it counting as a spell matters early on for three things: Mana Wyrm, Westfall Rogue guy, and Wild Pyromancer. None of these 3 things really has a thing to do with P1/P2 winrates in constructed- the first two just enable really, really dumb plays in Arena that may increase winrates, but decreases overall fun.

As long as it still counts as a card lol. It would be really stupid for them to make it not count as a card because it clogs your hand up.

Don't fuck with my turn 2 si7 agent <3 (only really good against zoo anyway)

Haly

Let's be real- it counting as a spell matters early on for three things: Mana Wyrm, Westfall Rogue guy, and Wild Pyromancer. None of these 3 things really has a thing to do with P1/P2 winrates in constructed- the first two just enable really, really dumb plays in Arena that may increase winrates, but decreases overall fun.

True enough. The only place where it really matters in constructed is with Miracle Rogue.

There are only three types of cards at three moment, right? Weapons, spells and minions.

No way they're introducing a fourth or make an exception just for the coin.

If there's a fourth category coming, I think it'll be items/consumables. Though I can't really suss out how they would work differently compared to spells in terms of board impact.

All they have to do is add, in bold letters, "Using the Coin does NOT count as casting a Spell" on the Coin card's text and it'd resolve the issue without creating a crazy fourth category.

Zeroth

Given the next expansion apparently deals with mechs, they could add a new type of card (artifact or whatever that could symbolize mechs) for the expansion and turn coin into an artifact.

A new rogue deck for an evolving meta

Introducing the: Reaper Rogue (cause I made it to reap priest souls but I've only played 2 so far).

reaper_rogue.png

reapear_rogue_results.png

edit:
took down my second control priest. So far I am 2-1 vs priest, but the loss was vs deathrattle so I am unsure about that result being upsetting. He had a great start and I had a poor one, so its hard to say about this deck vs that deck. But I just took down a priest simply because of two assassin's blades lol. And I even fucked up at one point so I am so far happy with the results. I aimed to make a deck good vs hunter/zoo and control priest.

Had a rather amusing game as priest vs. Handlock. It was rather close, with the handlock not drawing into his mountain giants until the late game and me unable to put much pressure on handlock for fear of activating moltens. Eventually he does play his mountains and a 10 mana molten, but Shadow word death and sylvanas clear the board. At some point I mind vision his 8 card hand and I get a Jaraxxus (a GOLDEN Jaraxxus because golden mind vision). Handlock plays his last molten and taunts it, which I then mind control. I proceed to finish off Handlock with his own molten and Jaraxxus.

I think the warlock's decision to silence his ancient watcher backfired on him, because he had to deal with both my Cairne and Sylvanas the hard way.

Xanathus

A new rogue deck for an evolving meta

Introducing the: Reaper Rogue (cause I made it to reap priest souls but I've only played 2 so far.
Your deck is actually worse against priest compared to any form of miracle because having small minions gives them things to steal and damage their minions to draw from, and they can easily clear your low health minions.

Also no saps means belcher destroys you, and no fans means hunter can out minion you.

Your deck is actually worse against priest compared to any form of miracle because having small minions gives them things to steal and damage their minions to draw from, and they can easily clear your low health minions.

Also no saps means belcher destroys you, and no fans means hunter can out minion you.

Belchers aren't the problem. The real threat is wild pyro combos. Adding in the enrage minion (edit: spiteful smith) makes it harder for them to clear board, almost impossible to kill a 4/6 minion with 5-6 mana.

The problem thereafter is just being able to put out enough damage to actually out damage their hero power. That is where assassin's blades come in. I just took down a priest cause I had 2 assassin's blades, I already removed both belchers from their deck. It was a race from there. I had no minion presence, but blade flurry made it so I could wreck their field, deal a lot of damage in the process, and I had a second assassin's blade to keep up the pressure.

Granted, I did make a mistake by over valuing my defias ringleader. Instead of just running him into the leftover slime, I used backstab to maximize damage. If I kept backstab, I could have backstabbed the cabal shadow priest and cleared board with blade flurry then and there, and gotten far ahead that I would have won easily. But even when I screwed that up, I still ended up winning due to the sheer amount of damage I can put out over several turns.

I've also actually found that if I play around snake trap well, my winrate against hunters is phenomenal. I have enough direct damage spells to generally avoid triggering snake trap and that was really the main situation where I used fan of knives anyway.

Special C

Had 2 mage quests and the spell quest. My arena buy gave me mage!

0-3 Mage Draft. WTH. That's the first time I've gone 0-3 since my first week, and with a Mage. It was REALLY bad though. No Flamestrikes or Poly's and one Fireball.

Holy crap, priest had double undertaker opening and I laughed my way to a huge landslide victory.

I had a shit start too.

Spiteful smith has made that match so winnable it is kinda crazy. Immune to holyfire and aoe ftw.

It was some kind of hybrid deathrattle/control priest since I am pretty certain deathrattle priest doesn't run 2x spellbreakers and holyfire and control priest doesn't run undertakers.

edit: 9 win streak so far. Before I was rank 10 and having trouble with the odd amount of aggro and control priest decks. Now I am rank 6.

update two:
rank 5 two stars, 12 win streak

- ah just lost to scummy zoo due to a very slow start.

Majine

Banned
Did they pull a fast one on us by saying "We'll probably never do new classes"?

Or could it be a Jaraxxus kind of deal?

Or fake, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom