• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wonder how Ogre Warmaul interacts with Taunt.

Can it bypass taunted duders? Can you face attack a Rogue but switch to the Concealed Auctioneer?

Kettch

It is early days and there will be lots of cards.

But I like the "summon a minion" RNG. Nothing beats a random King Crush.

There's a big difference between "put a random minion into your hand" and "put a random minion into play" though. Webspinner is a fine, fun card. Mad scientist...much more frustrating.

I have to assume they're going to put some anti-death rattle stuff in though. I remember one of the developers saying they didn't want to flood the game with silence as a counter, so hopefully they come up with something good.

There's a big difference between "put a random minion into your hand" and "put a random minion into play" though. Webspinner is a fine, fun card. Mad scientist...much more frustrating.

I have to assume they're going to put some anti-death rattle stuff in though. I remember one of the developers saying they didn't want to flood the game with silence as a counter, so hopefully they come up with something good.

They might take care of it in other ways (like neutral anti-trap cards), but a Mad scientist nerf so it just puts the secret in your hand would be pretty welcome.

I'd imagine those 3 cards aren't collectible but are received through using other cards. They are way too weak on their own.

captureytps8.png

I wonder how Ogre Warmaul interacts with Taunt.

Can it bypass taunted duders? Can you face attack a Rogue but switch to the Concealed Auctioneer?

I would guess that it would go over taunts. From the video I watched, that was linked to this thread, your character readies the attack, then the effect is triggered. You'd attack the taunt normally, then hit another minion instead. Same thing with Concealed targets. Things like Sylvanas' and Mad Bomber's random effects can hit them, so I don't see why this wouldn't.

Of course, this is a weapon, and I'm going off effects. It's very possible they have it programmed differently just because of that.

P.S. I like this Technician card. It feels like they are looking into different ways to handle spells / abilities given to players. Hope there are more things like that.

Kettch

Bouncing blade is a neat card. Don't know how well it fits warrior though. Their big weakness is lots of small creatures, which this would do very little against.

gutshot

The worst card in the game is Magma Rager, only winning 29% of the games its in

Magma Rager worst card confirmed.

Bouncing blade is a neat card. Don't know how well it fits warrior though. Their big weakness is lots of small creatures, which this would do very little against.

Have to play it in tandem with Commanding Shout for maximum value. Or better yet play Commanding Shout and then the Bouncing Blade when your opponent has an empty board. Endless Bouncing Blade.

Wonder if there's only one minion on the board and you play it, if it'll just die. Unless if it requires multiple minions to bounce off of.

CoolOff

Wonder if there's only one minion on the board and you play it, if it'll just die. Unless if it requires multiple minions to bounce off of.

Same effect as Deadly Shot for the same amount of mana, so possibly.

Edit: Scratch that, I'm getting too tired. Delayed Blizzcon makes EU sleepy.

oupi

Arena will only reward G&G packs after the expansion is live. Single card drops of old cards still possible.
https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/530891678719016961

Supposedly the spare part cards are:
All 1 mana:

Time Rewinder: Return a friendly minion to your hand.

Rusty Horn: Give a minion taunt.

Reversing Switch: Swap a minion's attack and health.

Finicky Cloakfield: Give a friendly minion Stealth until your next turn.

Emergency Coolant: Freeze a minion.

Armor Plating: Give a minion +1 Health.

Whirling Blades: Give a minion +1 Attack.

I think the important distinction is that they summon random minions, not "a random minion from your deck/hand". The former is probably a ton of fun for ladder/arena and clowny as fuck yet too unpredictable to necessarily be viable, but the latter would be immensely broken for competitive play.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
A lil' bit more randomness of what i wanted but the cards sound sick.
The game is definitely gonna change big time.

kirblar

I think the important distinction is that they summon random minions, not "a random minion from your deck/hand". The former is probably a ton of fun for ladder/arena and clowny as fuck yet too unpredictable to necessarily be viable, but the latter would be immensely broken for competitive play.
Yeah, they're (hopefully) not intended as competitive cards. You want to keep RNG very restricted in that sphere because it's just going to tick off that type of player. The game naturally has a ton already - it's not like you need to add more.

Zafir

I like the solution. It's probably the best they could do without making things complicated. More people are likely to want the new cards over the old anyway.

I dunno, it kind of screws those of us who joined the game late, or will be joining from then on. Arena is the best way to get packs if you're decent at it after all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They won't be competitively viable for the very reason that they're so insanely random.

No one seriously competitive would want to hinge their wins on something with such high variance. Maybe a few cards here or there as jokes or for the surprise factor, but I don't think you're really going to see Unstable Portal at Dreamhack 2015.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Like im cool with grammish and Dj wheat but... Frodan,Ben Brode and Artosis are the GOAT caster line up.

Arena will only reward G&G packs after the expansion is live. Single card drops of old cards still possible.
https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/530891678719016961

That's interesting. I'm still short several of the original legendaries but I have a ton of dust. (Enough for seven or eight legendaries.) I wonder if I should spend it on the originals and just use arena to go for the new ones. I get so few new cards with expert packs I have no desire to buy anymore and won't get any anymore from arena apparently.

My favorite card so far.... the blingotron 3000 dude.

I am not thrilled about the stats you get, being a 3/4 for 5cc. But the battlecry is like adding another weapon to your deck. As a rogue, you can just throw deadly poison on just about every weapon and make it good. Imagine those times you get doomhammer lol. Even the worst weapon in the game, light's justice, is potentially a 3/4 weapon.

It might not be played competitively, but think about the synergy you can get out of it. Harrison jones suddenly has a potential role in every single match up. Same for acidic ooze.

I also like madder bomber, that card just looks like it can wreck zoo and still bring a decent minion to the board 5/4 for 5cc iirc.

Slashlen

I dunno, it kind of screws those of us who joined the game late, or will be joining from then on. Arena is the best way to get packs if you're decent at it after all.

Well, if you don't have either, you can use either unless the new cards end up being crap in the meta. It'll only be an issue when newer players have a lot of the new cards and want to go grab old ones. The only other solutions are to always give old ones, which would be causing the same issue for a much larger group of players, give random ones which has the same problem but is lessened by being able to grind it out. These solutions also cause more issues going forward as there are more expansions to choose from. If it stays with expert packs, it's going to be a problem for most players as expansions continue to come out and arena is still Expert packs. It's also a problem for random as the chance of getting the pack you want will drop as more types are released.

Another option would be to let players choose, at least for the guaranteed one. The last one adds a level of complexity that I don't think they want. I'd personally prefer to choose, but of the simple solutions I think the one they chose will cause the least problems. There's no perfect solution to it though.

Zafir

Well, if you don't have either, you can use either unless the new cards end up being crap in the meta. It'll only be an issue when newer players have a lot of the new cards and want to go grab old ones. The only other solutions are to always give old ones, which would be causing the same issue for a much larger group of players, give random ones which has the same problem but is lessened by being able to grind it out. These solutions also cause more issues going forward as there are more expansions to choose from. If it stays with expert packs, it's going to be a problem for most players as expansions continue to come out and arena is still Expert packs. It's also a problem for random as the chance of getting the pack you want will drop as more types are released.

Another option would be to let players choose, at least for the guaranteed one. The last one adds a level of complexity that I don't think they want. I'd personally prefer to choose, but of the simple solutions I think the one they chose will cause the least problems. There's no perfect solution to it though.
Well, being able to choose is the best choice, and I don't get why they didn't bother doing that. It adds a bit of complexity, but surely that kind of thing should have been thought about when originally programming the game. I can't imagine Blizzard went in thinking that there was going to be no new packs. It just seems poor to me.

Slashlen

Well, being able to choose is the best choice, and I don't get why they didn't bother doing that. It adds a bit of complexity, but surely that kind of thing should have been thought about when originally programming the game. I can't imagine Blizzard went in thinking that there was going to be no new packs. It just seems poor to me.

I think Blizzard wanting to keep it simple is more of a design decision than programming limitations. Making things more complex tends to make them less accessible, and they seem to be going for a wide audience. I think they've erred a little too far on being simple, but that may be because what I really want is F2P Magic with Hearthstone's monetization practices.

I don't think it was realistic to expect to get a choice when that complexity goes against what they're trying to do. I'm happy with their choice because it seemed to be the best out of the simpler ones.

Zafir

I think Blizzard wanting to keep it simple is more of a design decision than programming limitations. Making things more complex tends to make them less accessible, and they seem to be going for a wide audience. I think they've erred a little too far on being simple, but that may be because what I really want is F2P Magic with Hearthstone's monetization practices.

I don't think it was realistic to expect to get a choice when that complexity goes against what they're trying to do. I'm happy with their choice because it seemed to be the best out of the simpler ones.

Yeah, but giving people a choice of what packs is hardly going to blow peoples brains. Not when there is only two types anyway. When you get to the stage of having more than 2, sure, it does become an issue, but we aren't at that stage yet.

Edit: To add, I think another way they could potentially give choice is by giving you the new packs from arena, but having a method to swap the new packs for old ones at no cost. That would make it less complicated for people who don't search, but still gives other people the option to choose.

Xanathus

I imagine you'll simply be able to craft the cards anyway, and it looks like only a minority of those cards will be viable on high-end ladder so I'll probably just craft the ones I want.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I'm in a Priest vs Priest mirror, and to be quite honest I'm getting my ass handed to me. I'm down to single digit health, my opponent will kill me on his next turn. Meanwhile, he has 27 health.

On my board is a dark cultist and an injured blademaster. In my hand is Mind Blast, Coin, Mind Blast.

And that's when I topdicked Prophet Velen.

So of course, I double pyroblast his face and swing in with my minions for 27 damage and exact lethal.

Haunted

This series is super tense. This has been a great tournament so far. Really liked that RunandGun guy, but I'm still rooting for Kolento, Strifecro and Kaor. (Didn't have any favourites going in - shows that it sometimes takes hugely important tournaments like this to develop attachments to players).

Kinda sad that Artosis isn't commentating anymore.

Haunted

So I'm in a Priest vs Priest mirror, and to be quite honest I'm getting my ass handed to me. I'm down to single digit health, my opponent will kill me on his next turn. Meanwhile, he has 27 health.

On my board is a dark cultist and an injured blademaster. In my hand is Mind Blast, Coin, Mind Blast.

And that's when I topdicked Prophet Velen.

So of course, I double pyroblast his face and swing in with my minions for 27 damage and exact lethal.
B0QXaqGIUAACWQW.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom